DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

Perkinsun Dzees 09-10-11 03:26 AM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Along with the Stanley Kramer sets, also saw a couple of these for $5 apiece:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
The Da Vinci Code (Special Edition Giftset)

ProfessorEcho 09-10-11 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by rmw650 (Post 10917700)
Glen, have you been to that BL craphole in Niles recently? Anything new or should I just save myself the trip from going there?

No, Richard, I was so discouraged from the last trip there, I've been staying away. Maybe will hit it one more time before I leave town, but hard to work up any enthusiasm for it.

MooMooMooMoo 09-10-11 02:11 PM

Pearl Street Tacoma Wa told me they got no dvd's on truck today.

Rexxriot 09-10-11 02:17 PM

I was surprised to find all the new $5 triple features today. I picked up The Da Vinci Code (Special Edition Giftset) and the Ray Harryhausen set. I would have gotten the Stanley Kramer Collection, but I just bought it on Amazon for $7.23.

Some of the other sets:
Ice Cube (XXX: State of the Union / Anaconda / Ghosts of Mars)
Cameron Diaz (Charlie's Angels / My Best Friend's Wedding / The Sweetest Thing)
Julia Roberts (My Best Friend's Wedding/Stepmom/Mona Lisa Smile)
Martin Lawrence (Bad Boys/National Security/Blue Streak)
Football box set (Rudy/Radio/Jerry Maguire)
Funny Girl/Funny Lady
Desperado/Once Upon A Time In Mexico

There were probably some others, but I can't remember what.

berigan 09-10-11 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rexxriot (Post 10918401)
I was surprised to find all the new $5 triple features today. I picked up The Da Vinci Code (Special Edition Giftset) and the Ray Harryhausen set. I would have gotten the Stanley Kramer Collection, but I just bought it on Amazon for $7.81.

Some of the other sets:
Funny Girl/Funny Lady

I assume all were $5???

Rexxriot 09-10-11 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by berigan (Post 10918426)
I assume all were $5???

You assume correctly.

That'sAllFolks 09-10-11 03:35 PM

I was surprised to find all the new $5 triple features today. I picked up The Da Vinci Code (Special Edition Giftset) and the Ray Harryhausen set. I would have gotten the Stanley Kramer Collection, but I just bought it on Amazon for $7.81.

Some of the other sets:
Funny Girl/Funny Lady

My Best Friend's Wedding is the SE and Stepmom was FS. The Ice Cube set had Anaconda and I think XXX as FS.

Others I saw:
I Know What you Did Last Summer/Still/Always Know
Jack Nicholson - Something's Gotta Give/Anger Management/King of Marvin Gardens
Bill Murray - Ghostbusters/Stripes/Groundhog Day SE
Jamie Foxx Triple Feature: Breakin' All The Rules / Booty Call (non-Bootiest ed) / Stealth (FS)

I think I remember this set:
Sleepless in Seattle/Philadelphia/A League of Their Own

I took my brother to the airport and stopped by a BL that was on the way and they had these sets. On the way home I stopped by my local BL and there was no sign of them. I wonder if only certain areas of the city are getting certain merchandise since it was reported that parts of Houston got the WC Fields and Mae West sets and I never saw them at the 3 BL's I frequent. (Did luck out and get Bosom Buddies S2 for 3.00 since it had no wrapper, but security sticker and discs were intact)

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees (Post 10918114)
Along with the Stanley Kramer sets, also saw a couple of these for $5 apiece:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
The Da Vinci Code (Special Edition Giftset)

It's not quite as impressive in person.

yellowlt4 09-10-11 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks (Post 10918480)

I picked this up today and you are correct.

Shawerma 09-10-11 08:00 PM

it was in my store aswell i would have bought it if i didnt already have the 2 disc dvd. I also saw the lone copy of the Stanley Kramer set( but didnt get because i got it from the amazon set for $2 more. But it did buy

Funny Girl/ Funny Lady
Ghostbusters/groundhog day/stripes

I watched Funny girl today and it was a great movie. I actually bought it for funny lady seeing it has james caan in it( im a big fan). But i really enjoyed funny girl.

mitch079 09-10-11 08:37 PM

4 $3 pickups today:

Brick
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
The Guys
Vera Drake

jimmaxmed 09-10-11 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks (Post 10918480)

Is that a DaVinci Code in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me ?......................I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist.

MooMooMooMoo 09-11-11 07:30 AM

Is anyone finding this new batch on the west coast? I always appreciate locations (at least your state) on the finds!

BobO'Link 09-11-11 08:17 AM

*Nothing* new here. Not even general restocks from the massive purchases made over the Labor Day weekend! The place looked like it had been cleaned out in many areas. As of yesterday, shelves have been "cleaned up" and stuff moved around but nothing added. They sold at least enough DVDs to fill a couple of those pallet sized flat tops plus empty over half the wire rack. I really wish they'd have a half-price DVD sale (people here would by them by the truckload if they were half-price for a day or two) to get rid of the rest of the stale DVD stock to make for more easily looked through new stuff...

captainsolo 09-11-11 01:30 PM

Nothing much but I did find one copy of Revenge of Frankenstein for $3. Would love to find more Hammer titles.

Manzana 09-11-11 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by tsetse27 (Post 10917555)
Just went to my local BL. Very surprise to find copies of Stanley Kramer collection for $5!

Do I dare stop by my BL and waste 20 minutes looking through their same-old same-old stuff to try to find a Stanley Kramer collection knowing the chance of finding it is about 5%? When I call and ask if they have specific titles, they usually tell me they're too busy to look for specific titles. I looked for the Ren & Stimpy Lost Episodes Collection over the course of a month when someone mentioned it was $3, but I never found it at any BL. The Stanley Kramer collection will probably be another vaporware title like that in my area.

barbybrant 09-11-11 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 10919394)
Do I dare stop by my BL and waste 20 minutes looking through their same-old same-old stuff to try to find a Stanley Kramer collection knowing the chance of finding it is about 5%?

It's a box set sized box (not a regular keepcase size like some sets) so it will jump out at you right away. Or not. Anyway, it won't take you 20 minutes to determine its presence or lack thereof. More like 5.

BobO'Link 09-11-11 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by captainsolo (Post 10919318)
Nothing much but I did find one copy of Revenge of Frankenstein for $3. Would love to find more Hammer titles.

The only other Hammer title I've ever seen at BL is Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed and that was over a year ago.

DaBargainHunta 09-11-11 05:11 PM

A bunch of recent pickups that I didn't see mentioned on the last few pages...

All $3 unless otherwise noted.

More than a month ago:

- Skinwalkers
- Walk on Water (foreign)

Last month:

- Owning Mahoney
- December Boys (this has been around forever, so I'm sure it's been mentioned)
- Grand Hotel ($5)

A couple of weeks ago:

- Strange Invaders/Invaders From Mars

This week

- You've Got Mail
- Flash of Genius
- The Killing Time
- Rocket Science

- Towelhead
- The Player (Robert Altman)
- The Last Day of Summer

laidbacklarkin 09-11-11 06:35 PM

Picked up Warner's John Wayne triple feature: The Big Stampede / Ride Him Cowboy / Haunted Gold (1932) - $3

comix8 09-11-11 07:27 PM

All of the Big Lots in Columbus used to be great about getting all of the new shipments, but they've just become worse and worse over the past few months. I did manage to find one store (the Wilson Rd store) with a few new things and picked up a 3-disc set of "Black Hawk Down" for $5, a 2-disc set of "Brokeback Mountain" for $3 and that Ray Harryhausen set for $5. I saw the "Da Vinci Code" box, but they only had one and it looked like it had been stomped on a few times. Any other Columbus folks having better luck?

That'sAllFolks 09-11-11 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 10919680)
The only other Hammer title I've ever seen at BL is Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed and that was over a year ago.

Actually I remember Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, Horror of Dracula and the double feature The Curse of Frankenstein / Taste the Blood of Dracula

BTW. Amazon has the original 6 DVD set for 16.93 Amazon fulfilled or 14.49 Amazon MP.

http://www.amazon.com/Classics-Colle...5788015&sr=1-5

SethDLH 09-11-11 08:05 PM

Nothing new or worth noting at Westminster, MD store. I'll be checked another MD store later in the week.

MooMooMooMoo 09-11-11 08:06 PM

I also remember a lot of Hammer mostly on Warner & 1 or 2 on Columbia at BL 2-3 years ago for $3 ea.

skippysgarden 09-12-11 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 10919040)
Is anyone finding this new batch on the west coast? I always appreciate locations (at least your state) on the finds!

Yes I saw many of the triple features, plus the Streisand "Funny Girl/Funny Lady" combo, the two disc "Brokeback Mountain" etc at the Torrance, CA store

laidbacklarkin 09-13-11 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by skippysgarden (Post 10921399)
Yes I saw many of the triple features, plus the Streisand "Funny Girl/Funny Lady" combo, the two disc "Brokeback Mountain" etc at the Torrance, CA store

Yup, picked up the Barbara Streisand double set + 'Stripes/Ghostbusters/Groundhog day' triple feature for $5 each...there were many 3 feature set as well but beware of the AR..they are all mixed up, on many sets, I saw two movies being WS with one being FS and things like that. The set with 'Stealth' in it shows AR as FS but the picture included shows WS...this was at the Lakewood store in Socal

joe_b 09-13-11 01:46 AM

Just curious: To those who picked up the 2-Disc Metropolis anime, did the special features come on a mini DVD? I'd never seen one of these used by a major studio before. The copy I picked up was the only one (out of 5) that had a sticker on the front advertising a "first time ever POCKET DVD!".

BobO'Link 09-13-11 03:03 AM

^Yes. I've never seen this used for DVD and found it odd as the CD version of the mini-disk was abandoned years ago as being somewhat impractical and unuseable on many systems. If your player is a slot loader or is side-mounted it's a glorified coaster.

ryan458 09-13-11 06:17 AM

I would think those adapters that click around a 3" cd would work for these as well but i have no experience in such matters. Just a suggestion.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 10921766)
^Yes. I've never seen this used for DVD and found it odd as the CD version of the mini-disk was abandoned years ago as being somewhat impractical and unuseable on many systems. If your player is a slot loader or is side-mounted it's a glorified coaster.

wmhgreen48 09-13-11 02:00 PM

I was surprised to find all the new $5 triple features today. I picked up The Da Vinci Code (Special Edition Giftset) and the Ray Harryhausen set. I would have gotten the Stanley Kramer Collection, but I just bought it on Amazon for $7.23.

Some of the other sets:
Funny Girl/Funny Lady

Spotted all these at the Puyallup WA store. Also saw the Bill Murray (Ghostbusters/Groundhog Day/Stripes)

BobO'Link 09-13-11 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by ryan458 (Post 10921807)
I would think those adapters that click around a 3" cd would work for these as well but i have no experience in such matters. Just a suggestion.

I have a couple of those I got with some CD singles years back but I'd never put one in a slot loader. Those things are dangerous enough without added complexity.

DouglasRobert 09-14-11 12:22 PM

Also saw for $5 a set called The Mob Box which contains the following movies.
Donnie Brasco, Snatch, Bugsy and The American Gangster

Rexxriot 09-14-11 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert (Post 10923436)
Also saw for $5 a set called The Mob Box which contains the following movies.
Donnie Brasco, Snatch, Bugsy and The American Gangster

That's not bad. They previously had it for $15.

MooMooMooMoo 09-14-11 08:16 PM

Puyallup Wa got a LARGE quantity of the previously mentioned $5 batch.

Kent, Wa got a small quantity of the $5's, & 4 identical trays of $3 titles. Mostly restock; highlights of the $3 trays were Mr Limpett, a 2 disc Brokeback Mt, Free Willy & a Jack Nicholson title I'm not familiar with called Goin' South. All 4 trays were identical & quite weak.

Also had a frustrating experience: My first purchase of the day qualified me for a 20% discount on the next one. Due to an unknown bug in the system, attempted purchase #2 at the 2nd store did not get the discount. The manager who I know well, was not in the store at the time, & while the store called their corporate "help desk", the hd did not answer & did not call the store back. BL online shows I do currently qualify for a 20% discount, AND I have 1 additional qualifying purchase towards the next 10.

Frustrating.

comix8 09-15-11 12:04 PM

The good news is I finally found a copy of the Stanley Kramer set. It finally showed up here in Columbus.

The bad news is all of the copies of the 2-disc Brokeback Mountain appear to be sold out. A warning to everyone -- make sure the packaging looks good on the disc. I bought one that I thought looked okay, but after I opened it up, the plastic tray that holds the discs is cracked and broken and is just in terrible shape. Tried to return it two days later, but they were already out of the other copies, so it looks like I'm stuck with it.

mike07 09-15-11 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by comix8 (Post 10924667)
The bad news is all of the copies of the 2-disc Brokeback Mountain appear to be sold out. A warning to everyone -- make sure the packaging looks good on the disc. I bought one that I thought looked okay, but after I opened it up, the plastic tray that holds the discs is cracked and broken and is just in terrible shape. Tried to return it two days later, but they were already out of the other copies, so it looks like I'm stuck with it.

Did you check a different store for a replacement? You don't have to return to the same store you bought it at for an exchange.

MScottM 09-15-11 02:57 PM

I saw 4 or 5 copies of the Kramer set ($5) in the Waldorf Md location last evening.

Texan26 09-15-11 03:59 PM

The multi-packs are in next week's ad:

http://specials.biglots.com/BigLots0.../b800018_4.jpg

AdamGott 09-15-11 05:18 PM

The Stanley Kramer box set has made it to Idaho Falls, ID.

g 09-15-11 08:10 PM

Saw only 1 Stanley Kramer set at multiple stores. Picked it up as an extra along with the Jack Nicholson set and Towelhead and John Wayne triple movie set.

comix8 09-15-11 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by supermike07 (Post 10924892)
Did you check a different store for a replacement? You don't have to return to the same store you bought it at for an exchange.

Yep, I've been to four or five Big Lots stores in the past week and haven't seen it anywhere else yet.