DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

BobO'Link 03-07-11 04:56 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by KrazyJason (Post 10668817)
...Monty Python And The Holy Grail box set x2 4.00 per...

Be *very* careful taking the disks out of that one. The "hubs" have a death grip on 'em. There've been *many* reports of cracking or breaking the disks when removing them.

NYCMan 03-07-11 07:24 PM

No 'Krull SE' or "Woody Woodpecker' in any location I've been to in the past three or four months (Carle Place, NY or various FLA locations). Sadly.
Did procure (all prices before 20% discount):
amazon .com/ Horror-Six-Pack-Collectors-6-DVD/dp/B0012OSG90 ($5--incidentally, I was pleased to find each film gets its own DVD and at least half are widescreen--def worth it)
'The One and Only' $3
'Starting Over' (Burt, Candie and Jill) $3
and
3 $3 Genius packs:
1) 'Delirious' (Steve Buscemi, Michael Pitt, Alison Lohman)/'Watching the Detectives' (Lucy Liu, Cillian Murphy)/'Ten Commandments' (CGI animated Ben Kingsley, Christian Slater thing)
2) 'Winter Sleepers' (directed by Tom 'Run Lola Run' Tykwer)/'Lassie' (2005)/some T.D. Jakes sermon thing
3) 'Eden' (Dylan Walsh, Sean Patrick Flanery)/TV Guide Classic TV Eps (2-disc)/'Open House' (the 'real estate musical' with Sally Kellerman and Anthony 'Adventures in Babysitting' Rapp)

Re. 'Rustler's Rhapsody', bought a copy at Blockbuster inventory sale for $2.50 (4 for $10) about a year ago, quite enjoyed it, and I'm not normally a fan of 'spoof' movies. Thought it sharp and funny and really well cast.

Re. 'Holy Grail' 'hubs', sounds like the set for amazon .com/Todd-McFarlanes- Spawn-Animated-Collection/dp/B000Q66PX4. So yes, be *very* careful.

boc4ever 03-07-11 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 10669445)
Brown Bunny??!! Wow

I second that emotion.

NYCMan 03-07-11 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 10669456)
Brilliant but cancelled Crime w/ Delvecchio, Gideon Oliver, Johnny Staccato, Touching Evil
- I'm guessing the pilot eps of each series.

They are random episodes, not the pilots. Delvecchio, I understand, comes sans opening creds. Would have bought a copy if I hadn't previously read reviews, as 'Touching Evil' is one of my favorite shows (better, for me, than the original BBC series). Still, the price is right, and 'Johnny Staccato'!

ProfessorEcho 03-07-11 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by NYCMan (Post 10670005)
They are random episodes, not the pilots. Still, the price is right, and 'Johnny Staccato'!

For those who may not be aware, the complete series of JOHNNY STACCATO was released in good transfers from Timeless Media. It's not at Big Lots, however. At least not yet.

deet 03-07-11 08:38 PM

The Cherry Hill, NJ store literally just opened today. Selection is basically a timewarp back to last November/December, including several copies of Star Trek TAS and one copy of Voyager S3. Also had Afro Samurai Resurrection DC, the newer westerns, and the Beatles/Stones documentary box sets.

$3 DVDs:
Talk To Her
North Dallas Forty
Wonder Boys
My Kid Could Paint That
The Counterfeiters
Dollars
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Junebug
Cisco Pike
Gettysburg
Dead Again
Let's Scare Jessica to Death
An Evening With Kevin Smith 2
Mr Deeds Goes to Town

$10 sets:
Woody Woodpecker Vol 2
Wild Wild West S3
Macgyver S4 (one copy)
The Animation Show
Gunsmoke S2V1 and S3V1
Petticoat Junction S1
Dynasty S3V1
Sleeper Cell S1
Brotherhood
Resurrection

JiM T 03-08-11 11:55 AM

Found recently:

Frost Nixon - $3
War and Peace (Audrey Hepburn, dir. King Vidor) $3
Bitter Victory (Richard Burton, dir. Nicolas Ray) $5

Still hoping to find that Woody Woodpecker v.2 set...

MooMooMooMoo 03-08-11 01:25 PM

Nothing at kent Wa for this week.

TerryW 03-08-11 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by JiM T (Post 10670777)
Still hoping to find that Woody Woodpecker v.2 set...

There was only the one copy at the store where I found it. Seemed rather random. Could be a fresh item. Don't remember reading about it here. Hoping to find V1. Very well packaged. Nice design and layout.

MooMooMooMoo 03-08-11 02:21 PM

The WW boxes showed up here about a month ago in the last $5 batch.

BobO'Link 03-08-11 04:22 PM

Stopped in today for a loaf of bread and found a single copy of "Evil Roy Slade". I know I didn't see it in all the other TMG western titles that hit this past weekend. Interestingly, *all* the TMG single disk western titles were sold over the past day or two. It has to have been a reseller of some type as there were *many* still on the rack Sunday afternoon. I can't see those titles, and no others, selling out that quickly.

MooMooMooMoo 03-08-11 09:41 PM

I'm assuming the TMG's are crap quality. Anyone know if that's correct?

berigan 03-08-11 10:51 PM

Only timeless stuff I saw in Griffin Ga was several 2 DVD sets of WW2 documentaries...none of the westerns, darn it.

mhinrichs 03-09-11 10:52 AM

Seen: a documentary about John Kerrey, a Lassie movie, and a foreign-looking film called Gabrielle wrapped together for $3. Weird!

Cabbage 03-09-11 12:36 PM

Heath, Ohio BL:

Found copies of BIG JAKE with John Wayne and Richard Boone for $5.

BobO'Link 03-09-11 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 10671581)

I've not opened "Evil Roy Slade" yet but prints of "The Adventures of Sir Lancelot" are pretty good so far. I'd put it on par with the MC "Adventures of Robin Hood" releases. Not great, but good to very good. Contrast is good with good quality audio. For 50+ year old syndicated TV that's had no restoration I'd say the quality is far above "crap". For the $4 each I paid I'm very pleased. The quality is good enough that I would have been pleased had I paid the current amazon prices.

If you're a fan of this genre and early TV I highly recommend this set. Even more so if you own/like "The Adventures of Robin Hood" from the same era. They're very similar in acting, writing, and overall quality of production. I plan to watch a few eps. of "William Tell" sometime in the next few days. I'll post a quality opinion of those once I've watched a few.

I was surprised to find that the individual DVDs inside the box are also shrink wrapped with security seals as are the ones on the "William Tell" set.

rmw650 03-09-11 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 10671581)

It's OK quality, nothing to write home about but there is an interruption right around the 54 minute mark of the movie, which I am guessing was to break from commercials when it aired as a TV movie back in the day. The film is intact but it just breaks for a few seconds and goes on, as if the story was told in two parts sort to speak.

BobO'Link 03-09-11 06:33 PM

^ "Evil Roy Slade" is a TV movie using the second and third pilots for a never-sold TV western spoof. It was was cobbled together from the two hour-long films. It's been years since I've seen this but the break is probably where one pilot ends and the other begins.

MooMooMooMoo 03-09-11 09:17 PM

Re: the TMG's I was more asking about the 1 disc Western films then the tv box sets. Would appreciate any feedback on those.

Mr. Reindeer 03-09-11 10:50 PM

27th st.

Sunday I got Millennium Actress, 1 left as of sunday; and a three pack with Lassie, Kings and Queen (desplechin), and Notre Musique (godard); all with coupon. That was the only 3 pack with the french films, I could find.

Hopefully the other godards from that wellspring box set show up soon too. Notre Musique is in that set, and I never saw one last summer.

Today they had new stock. Not sure when it was put out between sunday morning and Wednesday night. So I grabbed up Hostel 2. They had 10-20 of each new title, like hostel 2, seems liked a mixed bag of paramount and /warner/, etc. all were 3 bucks.

MooMooMooMoo 03-09-11 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by mhinrichs (Post 10672156)
Seen: a documentary about John Kerrey, a Lassie movie, and a foreign-looking film called Gabrielle wrapped together for $3. Weird!

I saw that exact copy of lassie today at Ross for $4.99!

AdamGott 03-10-11 04:56 AM

Finally got some new stuff in at our local store today. Lots of stuff that has been there before (and lots of copies of most of the titles) but I did manage to pick up SON OF RAMBOW for $3.

jimmaxmed 03-10-11 07:09 AM

Found a new small batch at the Raynham, Mass. location a couple of days ago...

City of Joy
Elegy
I See You.Com
King of Texas
Linewatch
Midnight Bayou
New Centurions, The.....(Martini Movies)
Northern Lights
Passengers
Prince and the Pauper, The
Songs in Ordinary Time
Spectacular

Plus a few anime titles. I believe there was more, but these are the only ones I remember...

Basilisk 3
Basilisk 4
Sky Crawlers, The

JoeDoakes 03-10-11 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by jimmaxmed (Post 10673577)
Found a new small batch at the Raynham, Mass. location a couple of days ago...

Prince and the Pauper, The

Are you referring to the Errol Flynn version of The Prince and the Pauper?

boc4ever 03-10-11 04:45 PM

Kennett Square, PA had the new stock, but no Brown Bunny.