DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

That'sAllFolks 02-24-11 05:24 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by Texan26 (Post 10653795)
I also saw the Beatles and Rolling Stones sets. They were three disc sets and $10 each. I don't remember the title of the sets but they looked like unofficial, unauthorized crap.

Also saw Hostel II Unrated, Fear factor S1, Metropolis anime for $3 each and Woody Woodpecker V2 for $5.

I think I saw those Beatles and Rolling Stones sets at Ross a couple of months ago. Definately did not seem to be worth it.

Good to know that Houson area stores might get those Woody sets.

jwstl 02-24-11 05:37 PM

Thanks for the info and opinions on The Stones and Beatles sets. I don't think I'll go out of my way to look for them.

Texan26 02-24-11 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks (Post 10653850)
Good to know that Houson area stores might get those Woody sets.

I only found one copy mixed in with the other new $3 titles batch. There might not be many copies in each batch or they were sold before I found it. Did not see any other new $5 titles/sets.

ryan458 02-24-11 06:36 PM

Since i have no knowledge or interest in the anime stuff I went back just for you.

King of Copycats 3
King of Copycats 5
Black Cat 5
Black Cat 6
School Rumble 3
School Rumble 4
Desert Punk 5
Moonphase 6
Tsubasa 2
Tsubasa 3
Burst Angel 4
Code Lyoko-X A N A Unleashed
Dragon Ball Z-Legendary Super
Dragon Ball Z-Bio Broly
Basilisk 4
Basilisk 5
Burst Angel-East Meets West
Baccano 2
Full Metal Alchemist -Conqueror Shamba (lenticular cover)
Sppedgraph 3
Full Metal Alchemist 13
Dragon Ball Z-Fusion Reborn/Wrath of the Dragon (metal case)
Afro Samurai-Resurrection
Tony Hawk -Boom Boom Sabotage

barbybrant 02-24-11 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by ryan458 (Post 10653975)
Since i have no knowledge or interest in the anime stuff I went back just for you.

You're the best! Thanks very much.

mr Articulate 02-25-11 01:42 AM

Spotted at the NoHo store:
$5
Tin Cup
Batman Begins
Superman III Special Edition
V for Vendetta
Cabaret
Proof of Life
Talageda nights
Milk
Harold and Kumar/Guantanamo
Clint Eastwoods - Drowning Pool, Sudden Impact, Mystic River
I now Pronounce you Chuck and Larry
The Mummy (3) Jade Emporer

MooMooMooMoo 02-25-11 06:35 AM

For those who haven't seen the email, the new add looks like $5 Paramounts & $ kids dvd's.

DouglasRobert 02-25-11 03:12 PM

Saw these today for $3 each

Hurricane (1979)
Anything Else (Jason Biggs, Woody Allen and Christina Ricci)
Several RiffTrax titles from Legend Films

Texan26 02-26-11 12:21 PM

I took a look at the Beatles and Rolling Stones $10 sets again. They are distributed by Passport Video.

I also saw the batch of Timeless Media Group and Legend Film DVDs. They included The One and Only (with Henry Winkler), many Western titles, colorized Little Rascals shorts, The Giant Gila Monster/The Killer Shrews double feature, and Rifftrax DVDs of Night of the Living Dead, Missile to the Moon, and Little Shop of Horrors. They were $3 each.

Shawerma 02-26-11 12:47 PM

can you post a link of the covers of the beatles and rolling stones sets. I am curious of whats in it

Texan26 02-26-11 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shawerma (Post 10656632)
can you post a link of the covers of the beatles and rolling stones sets. I am curious of whats in it

I am not 100% sure, but I believe these are the sets I saw:

Beatles: http://cgi.ebay.com/Looking-Back-Bea...#ht_500wt_1156

Rolling Stones: http://www.amazon.com/Looking-Back-A.../dp/B00269BSYK

That'sAllFolks 02-26-11 03:27 PM

Saw:
Hancock 2D w/ book $5
Woody Woodpecker V2 $5
Europe's Big Top Circus Stars Live from the Hippodrome (summer replacement Series with 1960's stars as ringmasters. Only bought because Allen Sherman was in it) $5
The Buccanneers, William Tell and Sir Lancelot Timeless media sets $5

A bunch of others that did not look interesting at all.

MooMooMooMoo 02-26-11 09:08 PM

Pearl Street Tacoma, Wa got a small Legend batch. It looked pretty picked over; I was stuck in Snow until late this afternoon & I suspect it had been out for a couple days. Most was the same stuff from last year (lots of John Wayne; Jackie Robinson Story, 3 Stooges, etc). Only titles new to me were 2 Little Rascals, & Night of The Living Dead.

Kevy 02-27-11 02:27 AM

Went to Portland & Gresham, OR stores today.

Gresham:

Sarah Silverman-Season One

Sudden Impact--actually had one that did not have a slash thru the bar code :)

Portland:

Hostel 2-Unrated Directors Cut

Has anyone seen any Sarah Silverman Season Two Volume One???????

So far I have only seen Season One and Season Two Volume Two.

MooMooMooMoo 02-27-11 01:25 PM

Bridgeport, Tacoma Wa got all the various batches that have been mentioned the last few weeks.
Turns out Pearl wasn't picked over on the Legends as i assumed; Bridgeport got the exact same 10 or 12 titles. They also got the animae batch, the Genius 3 pack batch (multiple copies of 4 or 5 different sets, all very weak titles) & a Timeless batch I haven't seen previously mentioned, the "TMG" series. This has better packaging then normal from Timeless, & features a number of different 60's & 70's westerns with name actors (possibly earlier also). As Timeless normally sucks big time, other then noticing the packaging i pretty much ignored these. Actors included Joel McRea, Walter Brennan & others. Sorry I can't remember any titles, they were all films I'd never heard of, but I'm not a western fan.

They also had the previously mentioned Beatles & Stones boxes. They are on Catcom, who unfortunately has been purchased by the god awful Passport label. Catcom USED to be one of the better $1-$3 companies, but I HATE Passport putting an onscreen logo on almost everything they release. Either way, those sets are a major rip off at $10.

Edit: Texan26, sorry i missed your prior post regarding the Western titles.

thetao 02-27-11 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 10653018)
$5
Flash Gordon (3 disc, 6 1/2 hours of the 40's miniseries)

There were three movie serials produced from 1937 to 1940, later edited down into movie versions, and a television series from the mid-50's. Do you remember anything more about this one?

thetao 02-27-11 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Darth O (Post 10651660)
For anyone in the Fresno area, the Blackstone store still has the following:
[...]
Metropolis: 2-Disc

Is this the Fritz Lang silent film, the Japanese anime remake (?), or perhaps something else?

abintra 02-27-11 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by thetao (Post 10657867)
Is this the Fritz Lang silent film, the Japanese anime remake (?), or perhaps something else?

It's the anime.. http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/3741/metropolis/

That'sAllFolks 02-27-11 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by thetao (Post 10657863)
There were three movie serials produced from 1937 to 1940, later edited down into movie versions, and a television series from the mid-50's. Do you remember anything more about this one?

It is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Gordon-C...8844363&sr=8-2

I just glanced at this. It looked like it had one of the serials over 2 discs + something else. I have all the serials, so I didn't even pay that much attention to the third disc.

EDIT: It looks like it's "Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe" + 6 eps. from the TV series.

thetao 02-28-11 07:24 PM

@abintra
@That'sAllFolks

Thanks for the feedback! As for the Flash Gordon set, I have the first and third serials on VHS and have been wanting to move to DVD. I was hoping your BL find was the 3-serial Image Entertainment boxed set (which I now realize is a 4-disk set) that may now be out of print.

A short BL update: I was out of town over the weekend and visited two stores in the Philadelphia suburbs, Norristown and Exton. A DVDTalk acquaintance warned me about Norristown being a waste of time, and that was pretty much true. They had a nearly intact 2-tier selection of kids movies, with everything else looking picked over. To the contrary, Exton had a comparatively large selection but far fewer kids disks. From my brief experience, it seems Norristown receives a lot more foot traffic, which (I suppose) means the good stuff gets picked over more quickly. There was none of the new material that people were citing.

BobO'Link 02-28-11 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by thetao (Post 10660035)
@abintra
@That'sAllFolks

Thanks for the feedback! As for the Flash Gordon set, I have the first and third serials on VHS and have been wanting to move to DVD. I was hoping your BL find was the 3-serial Image Entertainment boxed set (which I now realize is a 4-disk set) that may now be out of print...

The Image set is 4-disks (I own a copy) and is OOP. "Trip to Mars" is 2 disks. The prints are very good.

You can pick up all 3 titles individually from amazon marketplace vendors for a bit less than the box set - but still at inflated prices. All the "set" did was put the 3 individual releases in a slipcase.

boc4ever 02-28-11 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by thetao (Post 10660035)
@abintra
@That'sAllFolks

Thanks for the feedback! As for the Flash Gordon set, I have the first and third serials on VHS and have been wanting to move to DVD. I was hoping your BL find was the 3-serial Image Entertainment boxed set (which I now realize is a 4-disk set) that may now be out of print.

A short BL update: I was out of town over the weekend and visited two stores in the Philadelphia suburbs, Norristown and Exton. A DVDTalk acquaintance warned me about Norristown being a waste of time, and that was pretty much true. They had a nearly intact 2-tier selection of kids movies, with everything else looking picked over. To the contrary, Exton had a comparatively large selection but far fewer kids disks. From my brief experience, it seems Norristown receives a lot more foot traffic, which (I suppose) means the good stuff gets picked over more quickly. There was none of the new material that people were citing.

I'll second your assessment. Norristown is generally good for lots of things, but DVDs isn't one of them. Exton has a pretty good selection, but I have only found a few unusual titles there. Aston is probably my favorite store because they seem to get stock quicker and a great selection. The Kennett store is hit or miss, but more misses than hits. I've gone to the Elkton? store (Rte 40) and it was pretty much a wasted trip. The store on Route 222 (I have no idea where the hell I was) had an average selection.

ernestrp 03-01-11 06:13 PM

I found a 3.00, 3 pack today. It contained Reel Paradise, Typhoon and Lassie! An intresting mix.

Kevy 03-02-11 10:31 PM

Got four titles from a Legends batch:

The One And Only
My Man Godfrey
Framed
Zero Population Growth

A little bit of everything.......comedy, screwball comedy, revenge, sci-fi :)

MooMooMooMoo 03-03-11 12:43 AM

Kent, Wa got the small legend batch, the $5 Timeless batch, the $3 Timeless western batch & the $10 Beatles & Stones unauthorized batch: i.e. crap (well crap other then a few of the Legend titles).

I am more & more thinking that the labels raised prices & BL said no; as I continue to find BL type titles AT HIGHER PRICES at Ross, 1/2 Price Books, Oldies.com, etc.