DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

darkhawk 11-17-10 04:41 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Nothing new at 2 more stores. For now, all I want to find is Shirley Valentine.

I'll worry about the TV shows I want later.

Drake 11-17-10 05:02 PM

Went to the W. Bridgewater /Raynham MA.stores ..nuthin' new....I was surprised at how they cleaned up the Raynham store ,much easier to look through the DVD's.
I'll tell ya they need to run a big sale to get rid of these, the Raynham store had tons of titles from the recent Paramount and $5 shipments.

BobO'Link 11-17-10 09:03 PM

As far as the speculation on the price post BF, these are *not* early bird specials but simply a BF draw type deal. Something to get people in the store where they might pick up other stuff as well. As has been said, they are $6 now. They'll be $6 on BF and after BF is over and done what's left will still be $6. The ones I saw have the "standard" white BL DVD price/UPC sticker we've come to know and love with $6 printed on it the usual way.

dugnarug 11-17-10 09:19 PM

Would love to get Brotherhood and Twin Peaks s2 for this price. I've picked up Brotherhood countless times at Best Buy and always put it back.

I'm going to be so broke before Christmas with all these sales. I often believe that an addiction to crack would be cheaper than my addiction to movies.

Manzana 11-17-10 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by dugnarug (Post 10496814)
Would love to get Brotherhood and Twin Peaks s2 for this price. I've picked up Brotherhood countless times at Best Buy and always put it back.

I'm going to be so broke before Christmas with all these sales. I often believe that an addiction to crack would be cheaper than my addiction to movies.

I think if you're willing to wait a couple weeks (past BF weekend), you'll find a lot of activity in the trade forums. I picked up a couple extra Twin Peaks S2 sets among other stuff, and I'm sure others have as well, in hopes of trading them for things like Family Ties, Bosom Buddies, Love Boat, other seasons of Cheers, Hawaii Five-O, and Sabrina, for example. I just hope the selection is well distributed across the country because if everyone is looking for the same stuff and has the same stuff to trade, then there won't be very many trades.

Undeadcow 11-17-10 09:59 PM

Laugh if you must but Matlock will be mine!

barbybrant 11-18-10 01:00 AM

Trenton, NJ, store has unpacked their $6 TV season sets. When I was there, 2 display racks had been put out on the shelf and 5 more were waiting on a flatbed cart. But they were ALL THE SAME ASSORTMENT. Bleh. Each one had Matlock S1, Joan of Arcadia S1, Sabrina S1, Cheers S9, Caroline in the City S1, Love Boat S1V1, and so on. The only variation was that some had the Star Trek Borg Fan Collective and others had the Star Trek Klingon Collective.

Feeling optimistic, we drove across the river to the Fairless Hills store, but it was all the same assortments again (and well picked over). Not a Hawaii Five-0 or later Sabrina season in sight.

Perkinsun Dzees 11-18-10 01:17 AM

One more title to add to the $6 TV set list:

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9498/lotsa006.jpg
Everybody Hates Chris (Season 2)

JohnIan 11-18-10 02:04 AM

The Rialto, CA store has their box sets out.

Not a big assortment. Picked up "The Odd Couple: The Final Season".

No "Love Boat", "Police Squad" or "Joan Of Arcadia".

Manzana 11-18-10 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by barbybrant (Post 10497081)
But they were ALL THE SAME ASSORTMENT. Bleh. Each one had Matlock S1, Joan of Arcadia S1, Sabrina S1, Cheers S9, Caroline in the City S1, Love Boat S1V1, and so on.

Those all may be the same in your area, but you've got some different ones than in my area. Mine had Matlock S2, Sabrina S4, and no Love Boat. So (as I've been suggesting)... even if people have no interest in some of these titles for themselves, if people buy some extra sets, then perhaps we can all trade for the ones we can't find in our area in the trades forum. Worst case is you'll have to return the ones you don't trade for a refund in January.

That'sAllFolks, could you add the few new titles mentioned in the last page to the front page master list when you get a chance? Thanks.

SterlingBen 11-18-10 01:07 PM

Will be on the hunt for friday the 13th S2

skees53 11-18-10 02:47 PM

Jeffersonville, IN is now stocking some of these, they had quite a few today. Didn't find anything that hasn't already been mentioned, HOWEVER, the stuff I found is stuff that I haven't seen in other stores in my area, including CSI Miami S1, Sabrina the Teenage Witch S4, Mork & Mindy S2, Matlock S2, Police Squad, Hawaii Five-O S6, and a few 7th Heaven DVDs.

What I am noticing that is interesting about these mixes is that, while it seems that there are a lot of different titles floating out there, every store seems to be getting the boxes of 18 titles, and every box in each store has the same 18 titles. But if you go to another store, it is a different 18 titles (but there is always some overlap between stores). The distribution pattern is weird.

MooMooMooMoo 11-18-10 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by skees53 (Post 10498055)
. The distribution pattern is weird.

Welcome to Big Lots!

njwiv 11-18-10 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 10498317)
Welcome to Big Lots!

:lol:

MrSmearkase 11-18-10 06:07 PM

Yeah, Big Lots is the epitome of YMMV. Sometimes, you'd have better luck finding Carmen Sandiego than some titles.

kthnxbai 11-18-10 08:07 PM

My local store said they're opening up at six on BF. I've never been shopping on BF but I'm hoping that it won't be crazy like some stores. I just need to pick up the few (12) sets and be on my way back home to bed.

Anyone know what it's like at Big Lots on BF?

newginafets 11-18-10 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 10497863)

Ditto.

BobO'Link 11-18-10 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by kthnxbai (Post 10498584)
My local store said they're opening up at six on BF. I've never been shopping on BF but I'm hoping that it won't be crazy like some stores. I just need to pick up the few (12) sets and be on my way back home to bed.

Last year, as I drove by on my way to meet someone at WM, there were ~75 people outside awaiting the open. This is the only BL in a 70 mile radius. I got home about 15min. after their opening and was instructed to go and pick up one of the "Ernie" dolls for my Mother-in-Law. It was crowded for BL but not *too* bad. I believe most of the "door busters" were gone (I got the last doll) but other stock was in ample supply. I doubt it'll be much different this year. Most people will be at BB, WM, Target, Sears, Kohls, Penney's, etc.

Undeadcow 11-18-10 09:10 PM

I can't say how busy they are at opening on Black Friday but last year I stopped by Big Lots around 7am and the place was almost empty. This is in Austin, TX where there are 6 Big Lots.

Aside from the DVDs they had some decent BF deals on children's toys last year.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 10497863)

F13 S2 must be mine. Hopefully we'll see some of the other seasons also, would love the complete series for $18.

MrSmearkase 11-18-10 09:43 PM

I suspect that Big Lots gets a lot of spill-over from other stores on Black Friday, but on the whole I don't think you should expect the types of crowds that other stores may attract. Many people are more concerning with large item purchases early in the morning, and then may stop off at other stores as the day goes on.

MooMooMooMoo 11-18-10 09:55 PM

Very busy, though not crazy dept store busy. Do expect a line if it's anything like here.

theflyingdutch 11-18-10 11:40 PM

Today, I bought Cheers Season 3 and 7, Wild Wild West 3 and Odd Couple Final Season at the Big Lots just outside of Claremont, CA on US 66. Not much else that I was interested in.

john gilmore 11-19-10 12:08 AM

A new one to add to the list...

Streets of San Francisco, Season TWO Volume 1

Found at Big Lots in Vacaville, CA.

theflyingdutch 11-19-10 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by john gilmore (Post 10498896)
A new one to add to the list...

Streets of San Francisco, Season TWO Volume 1

Found at Big Lots in Vacaville, CA.

Saw that one too.

30smovies 11-19-10 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 10498705)
I suspect that Big Lots gets a lot of spill-over from other stores on Black Friday, but on the whole I don't think you should expect the types of crowds that other stores may attract. Many people are more concerning with large item purchases early in the morning, and then may stop off at other stores as the day goes on.

Every BL I know is next door or very close to a Walmart or Target so they usually have fairly big crowds on BF but no, not the hundreds of people waiting outside. They also usually open at a different time than those stores to get the crowd that is going to the other place. I remember about a decade ago there was a bit of a stampede for their $1 vhs tapes on BF so I would imagine these tv sets might have a similar reaction.