DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

valhalla7 11-16-10 04:50 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

So far, only rules following managers as far as the TV sets are concerned in Central PA, none have appeared on the shelves. HUlk WANT!!!!!

That'sAllFolks 11-16-10 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by valhalla7 (Post 10494342)
So far, only rules following managers as far as the TV sets are concerned in Central PA, none have appeared on the shelves. HUlk WANT!!!!!

You may be just mentioning the Hulk, but the complete series (5 season - 20 DVDs) can be had on Amazon MP and eBay pretty easily for $33. If you follow auctions and are patient you can get it for less than $30.

kenbenobi 11-16-10 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees (Post 10492912)
Resurrection Blvd (Season 1)

I totally have to get this! I actually worked on that show for S1 and S2. It's the only show I worked on where my name is actually in the credits, so I really should own it...

DeepSleep 11-16-10 05:26 PM

Finally found a store here in the greater Los Angeles area that had these $6 TV sets out. It was picked over, but I bought a bunch of them for only $4.80 each since I had a Buzz Club 20% off discount after 10 purchases in the system. (I had been waiting to use this discount and today it came in handy.)

Saw the following:

Twin Peaks S2
Cheers S3
CSI New York S5
Matlock S2
Mission Impossible S5
CSI Las Vegas S2
MacGyver S4
7th Heaven S6
CSI Miami S1
7th Heaven S5
Mork & Mindy S2
Hawaii Five-O S6
90210 S1 (new series)
JAG S5
Star Trek Q Fan Collective
Sabrina S2
Sabrina S4

BobO'Link 11-16-10 06:35 PM

I was given the chance to look at, but not purchase, what the store here has in the store room awaiting BF. 6-7 boxes of the *same* 18 titles! There are only 4 of I'm interested in getting and none are in my top 5 on the list of what's been seen. :( They *might* get more but that's not a given. At least I know it might be worth the trip.

Chop2Chip10 11-16-10 07:06 PM

Saw a season of The Hills & Laguna Beach today.

kthnxbai 11-16-10 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks (Post 10492254)

Box Set Sale for Black Friday 2010
90210 (The CW one) S1
Matlock S1,S2
Melrose Place S1, S2, S3, S4 S5V1, S5V2
Sabrina the Teenage Witch S1, S2, S3, S4

I'm definitely going to have to get these. Will the stores possibly get most of these in for Black Friday? I'm in dire need of the Melrose Place sets.

joe_b 11-16-10 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert (Post 10493828)
Thunderbirds, Adverntures of Rocky & Bullwinkle and two other movies for $6 total.

Big Fat Liar and Johnny English were the other two. I've passed on that quadruple feature many times at BL, but I did score a new (labelled used) copy for $0.71 shipped from the GoHastings last month. :thumbsup:

BobO'Link 11-16-10 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by kthnxbai (Post 10494605)
I'm definitely going to have to get these. Will the stores possibly get most of these in for Black Friday? I'm in dire need of the Melrose Place sets.

It's a crap shoot as to what any store will receive. As I mentioned above, the one here currently has only 18 titles from that massive list (and they are in the back being held as per the email from BL corporate). I believe there was 1 of the Melrose Place sets in that grouping. If you're in good with any of the staff at the BL's in your area it will pay to ask if they will tell you what they might have. At least then you might know if the trip will be worth the effort.

ernestrp 11-16-10 08:13 PM

I was wondering about Rawhide? I bought seasons 1 to 3 late spring/early summer 2010 for 90.00, something and I thoguht that was a deal at the time. Even now Dvdpricesearch has the lowest price of 137.99 @amazon for seasons 1-3. I would be looking for these if I didnt already have them.

Manzana 11-16-10 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 10494535)
I was given the chance to look at, but not purchase, what the store here has in the store room awaiting BF. 6-7 boxes of the *same* 18 titles! There are only 4 of I'm interested in getting and none are in my top 5 on the list of what's been seen. :( They *might* get more but that's not a given. At least I know it might be worth the trip.

I've been to 4 BLs and called the other 2 in my driving range. The employees at 1 I visited and the 2 I called were clueless about these $6 TV season sets, 1 manager knew they were for BF and was saving them in the back, and 2 had the $6 sets out... but they were exactly the same group of titles at both stores with 1 exception:

Star Trek Collective - Klingon

Of course the store that's holding them back is the furthest away and the one with Bosom Buddies, Laverne & Shirley, Happy Days, and other seasons of Hawaii Five-O (that manager showed me 1 box). Both stores with the sets out claimed they didn't have any more in the back, and considering it was 3 days later and the same titles were out either they were replacing them with more boxes of the same titles or few people are buying these. So, I fear what BobO'Link mentioned... this might be all they get in which case it'll be pretty disappointing. Worse yet, if what they said is true (that they put ALL of them out) then they may have almost no $6 season sets for BF unless new shipments arrive.

I did grab some random extras sets in hopes that others will do the same and people can trade for the sets they need. However, I don't want to start trading until after I see what BF holds in store (literally) for these sets. The downside to waiting is after BF the post office gets really crowded and I'm not sure I can handle waiting in the lines. So, in the end I was bummed with the realization my area will probably only get a small subset of the "big list".

30smovies 11-16-10 10:18 PM

Has anybody seen the tv sets at a store in the last week that didn't have them prior to this? It appears the stores who put them out early did so quickly and nobody else is doing it. Of course, there's no guarantee the stockers won't put them out before BF even if they haven't done so yet.

Manzana 11-16-10 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by 30smovies (Post 10494991)
Has anybody seen the tv sets at a store in the last week that didn't have them prior to this? It appears the stores who put them out early did so quickly and nobody else is doing it. Of course, there's no guarantee the stockers won't put them out before BF even if they haven't done so yet.

I had actually expected the store I visited 3 days earlier to have pulled them because I figured they would've gotten in trouble over it. (Don't forget that super secret memo that all stores who put them out early will be sent hundreds of copies of Joey instead for BF... that memo was so secret NOBODY knew about it except here.)

I'm going to keep checking the other stores in case they put them out, but I don't think it'll happen. I think the ones who put them out don't know better or don't care and the ones who have waited probably know they are supposed to wait and will continue to wait. After all, the boxes have stickers on them that say something like "BF DVD assortment for 11/26".

BobO'Link 11-16-10 11:37 PM

^And the pallets they arrive on are BF specific with other BF only merchandise on them. At the store here these are not packed with non-BF merchandise. The stores that've put them out had to know what they were doing, have totally incompentent stock clerks/management, and/or just do not care as long as the stuff sells.

Surfinhank 11-17-10 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 10494952)
I did grab some random extras sets in hopes that others will do the same and people can trade for the sets they need. However, I don't want to start trading until after I see what BF holds in store (literally) for these sets. So, in the end I was bummed with the realization my area will probably only get a small subset of the "big list".

I'm thinking the same thing. I found one store that had 5 or 6 of the "trays" they come in, but they were all packed with the same titles over and over. I picked up a few extras on some of the titles so after next week I'll be heading to the exchange thread.

Also, you can add this one to the list:

Brotherhood season 1

DouglasRobert 11-17-10 12:33 AM

Since my BL just had their grand opening I was wondering a few things.

1. Is it normal for BL to put the DVDs on huge pallets with paper boxes containing the DVDs stacked atop each other?
2. Are the $6 TV on DVD titles also on pallets on shelves?
3. If they (TV Series) are on shelves, where have they been? Somewhere random in the store or by the registers?

joe_b 11-17-10 02:59 AM

1. Yes. Every time I go to Big Lots, I usually have to shuffle around those cardboard containers to get a look a what they have on the bottom. There is usually a fully stocked wire rack as well. As much of a pain as is to maneuver the pallets, it's still faster to browse through the titles that way than it is to go digging through the wire racks.

DarkRavenII 11-17-10 05:25 AM

If any of these last through Black Friday and / or they get more of these in later ... I wonder what the "normal" price will be? Since this is a BF deal I am pretty sure the normal price could be around $12? Some of us may still find them at $6? I am just pondering this as most of us will probably miss out on this BF deal.

MrSmearkase 11-17-10 08:26 AM

$6 is the normal price. That explains how people have been able to pick it up for that price already.

Manzana 11-17-10 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert (Post 10495176)
Since my BL just had their grand opening I was wondering a few things.

1. Is it normal for BL to put the DVDs on huge pallets with paper boxes containing the DVDs stacked atop each other?
2. Are the $6 TV on DVD titles also on pallets on shelves?
3. If they (TV Series) are on shelves, where have they been? Somewhere random in the store or by the registers?

#1. Already answered above, but I'll confirm that it's VERY common to have the paper boxes stacked on top of each other to make looking at stuff underneath more difficult. I feel like complaining but then I stop myself by thinking that I'd rather they put out too much stuff than too little, so I don't say anything.

#2 and #3. Speaking for the 2 stores I saw which had them, they are usually in small cardboard boxes (not full pallets) and 1 was underneath a display with a bunch of games, and at another store they had put those small cardboard boxes on the main 4-sided DVD tower. When I revisited that store after a few days the small cardboard boxes were gone and the sets were just mixed in the 4-sided DVD tower. So the answer is: wherever they feel like putting them. The only constant is it's not a large section and could be easy to miss. Though they claim they put all of them out, I don't believe it. They may put out a couple boxes at a time but not all 1-2 dozen boxes (of probably the same titles) as I never saw more than 4 copies of any 1 set out.

And regarding the $6 price, I'd expect it to remain that way past BF if you can still find these. That's based on previous years when the Warner $3 and $6 season batches came out and the prices didn't change. Those came out mid-year, though, and weren't tied to any holiday. Given the high calibur sets we are seeing (ahem) I'm thinking this is massive overstock of stuff that didn't sell well through the typical retailers and BL got a huge batch at a good price. I'm sure at $6 each BL is making at least $2 per set. (They have to leave margin for those 20% off sales.)

30smovies 11-17-10 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 10495445)
#1. Already answered above, but I'll confirm that it's VERY common to have the paper boxes stacked on top of each other to make looking at stuff underneath more difficult. I feel like complaining but then I stop myself by thinking that I'd rather they put out too much stuff than too little, so I don't say anything.

#2 and #3. Speaking for the 2 stores I saw which had them, they are usually in small cardboard boxes (not full pallets) and 1 was underneath a display with a bunch of games, and at another store they had put those small cardboard boxes on the main 4-sided DVD tower. When I revisited that store after a few days the small cardboard boxes were gone and the sets were just mixed in the 4-sided DVD tower. So the answer is: wherever they feel like putting them. The only constant is it's not a large section and could be easy to miss. Though they claim they put all of them out, I don't believe it. They may put out a couple boxes at a time but not all 1-2 dozen boxes (of probably the same titles) as I never saw more than 4 copies of any 1 set out.

And regarding the $6 price, I'd expect it to remain that way past BF if you can still find these. That's based on previous years when the Warner $3 and $6 season batches came out and the prices didn't change. Those came out mid-year, though, and weren't tied to any holiday. Given the high calibur sets we are seeing (ahem) I'm thinking this is massive overstock of stuff that didn't sell well through the typical retailers and BL got a huge batch at a good price. I'm sure at $6 each BL is making at least $2 per set. (They have to leave margin for those 20% off sales.)

Actually, I'm grateful for the "cardboard trays" which I suspect are made that way for easy moving by customers, it's no problem to move them from one part of the display to another as you dig. I much prefer them to (a) those awful deep cardboard dumps where you have to pull scores of dvds out individually or in small groups to see everything they have or (b) one of those lousy wire "boxes" ala Walmart where everything is thrown in haphazardly and you have dig and dig and to fish things out.

And I'm glad Big Lots is putting out tons at a time and not just in smaller quantities and then restocking a limited space every day or so.

It sounds like the tv boxed sets wll be in "dumps" - cardboard standing displays like last year's dvd set blowout. They normally throw out the cardboard dumps when they get half empty and then stick what's left on the shelves with the rest of the dvds.

DouglasRobert 11-17-10 08:59 AM

By games do you mean board games or video games?

Also thanks for the answers.

skees53 11-17-10 02:32 PM

For those in the Louisville, KY area, the store at Breckenridge Ln/Taylorsville Rd. now has some of these $6 box sets, it seems to be more limited on titles than what Shelbyville Rd had though. Didn't see anything new, just Hawaii Five-O, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, CSI, CSI Miami, Twin Peaks, The Fugitive, Love Boat, and CSI NY... all of them are seasons that have already been mentioned.

Emma311 11-17-10 03:38 PM

My local store in Southwest PA did not have any TV DVD sets. I'm hoping that we get them in soon though. I'd love to pick up Twin Peaks & Sabrina for Xmas gifts.

DarkRavenII 11-17-10 03:42 PM

Oh, okay. I just hope they get more in from time to time after BF. $6 for a TV box set is a great deal!!!