DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

30smovies 11-26-10 12:39 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by GMan2819 (Post 10512707)
I got to the BigLots near me around 7am to find some a-hole loading up his shopping cart with what appeared to be around 6 cartons of the DVD sets. Man, I thought I was about to blow a gasket.....:mad2:

BL really needs to start putting maximum quantities people can purchase on sale items. I live in a small town - I went in Friday evening and they had put them out and had at least 70 sets, went back in less than 48 hours and they were all gone. There's no way they would have sold out to multiple buyers here; they just don't move that quickly here (the new $3 titles were pretty much untouched as they were before) - I thought maybe they had been pulled to be put back out on BF but that was not the case at all - they had nothing new this morning. I'm sure one person grabbed most if not all of them to resell.

30smovies 11-26-10 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by standbyme (Post 10512771)
I waited for over 3 hours and was first in line...only to find out the Champaign, IL store had 2 whole trays. I did get 2 I wanted but I was still dissapointed. I knew somebody who was at the Danville, IL store and all they had were 3 trays...I would have thought that since these were featured on the front page that they would have had at least 4 trays per store.

Went to the two BL in a nearby town this am and one had two trays with little still in them after 3 hours, the other had four trays with about two trays worth and duplicates of nearly all, the same dozen or so titles. I agree those are ridiculous amounts to have available for a front page sale item but then look at Sears - washers/dryers on the front page with "four per store".

Drake 11-26-10 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by 30smovies (Post 10512808)
BL really needs to start putting maximum quantities people can purchase on sale items. I live in a small town - I went in Friday evening and they had put them out and had at least 70 sets, went back in less than 48 hours and they were all gone. There's no way they would have sold out to multiple buyers here; they just don't move that quickly here (the new $3 titles were pretty much untouched as they were before) - I thought maybe they had been pulled to be put back out on BF but that was not the case at all - they had nothing new this morning. I'm sure one person grabbed most if not all of them to resell.

They are not gonna make much money reselling these ,prices are already dropping on Amazon.

deet 11-26-10 01:25 PM

Beverly, NJ

$3 DVDs:
Love in the Time of Cholera
Vera Drake
The Sea Inside
The Filth and the Fury
The Medallion
Under Suspicion
You Got Served
Girlfight
America's Sweethearts
Swept Away
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
Oh God! You Devil
Goya's Ghosts
The Presidio (I Love the 80's)
Milk Money
All the King's Men (remake)
Highwaymen
In Memoriam: New York City
The Majestic
A Perfect World
Hey Arnold! The Movie
Edmond
Body Shots
State & Main
Suburban Commando
Aces: Iron Eagle III
Three of Hearts

$6 DVDs:
Several copies each of Police Squad and Twin Peaks S2. A few copies of Cheers S3, Mission Impossible S5, Sabrina and 7th Heaven.

Bristol, PA

$3 DVDs: Tons of Nickelodeon stuff.

$6 DVDs:
Friday the 13th S2
Twin Peaks S2
The Cleaner S1
Sleeper Cell S2
Melrose Place S1
Joan of Arcadia S1
Beverly Hills 90210 S3
Caroline in the City S1
The Love Boat S1 V1
Sabrina the Teenage Witch S1

Franklin Mills, PA

$3 DVDs:
Defending Your Life
The Life of Emile Zola
Gene Kelly: Anatomy of a Dancer
Dracula: Dead and Loving It
Body Heat (deluxe edition)
Swiri
Gettysburg
Angela-A
More Nickelodeon DVDs

$6 DVDs:
Stella S1
Bee Movie (two disc)
Father of the Pride
Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Cool Ghoul 11-26-10 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by deet (Post 10512881)
Beverly, NJ

$3 DVDs:
Love in the Time of Cholera
Vera Drake
The Sea Inside
The Filth and the Fury
The Medallion
Under Suspicion
You Got Served
Girlfight
America's Sweethearts
Swept Away
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
Oh God! You Devil
Goya's Ghosts
The Presidio (I Love the 80's)
Milk Money
All the King's Men (remake)
Highwaymen
In Memoriam: New York City
The Majestic
A Perfect World
Hey Arnold! The Movie
Edmond
Body Shots
State & Main
Suburban Commando
Aces: Iron Eagle III
Three of Hearts

$6 DVDs:
Several copies each of Police Squad and Twin Peaks S2. A few copies of Cheers S3, Mission Impossible S5, Sabrina and 7th Heaven.

Bristol, PA

$3 DVDs: Tons of Nickelodeon stuff.

$6 DVDs:
Friday the 13th S2
Twin Peaks S2
The Cleaner S1
Sleeper Cell S2
Melrose Place S1
Joan of Arcadia S1
Beverly Hills 90210 S3
Caroline in the City S1
The Love Boat S1 V1
Sabrina the Teenage Witch S1

Franklin Mills, PA

$3 DVDs:
Defending Your Life
The Life of Emile Zola
Gene Kelly: Anatomy of a Dancer
Dracula: Dead and Loving It
Body Heat (deluxe edition)
Swiri
Gettysburg
Angela-A
More Nickelodeon DVDs

$6 DVDs:
Stella S1
Bee Movie (two disc)
Father of the Pride
Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

All the Nicktoon dvds here were $6 which I thought was way to much.

Steve 11-26-10 02:39 PM

went to 2 BL. they both had the exact same set of TV shows, which unfortunately really didn't have what I was looking for.

I did stumble across Busby Berkley V2, which was great.. but no real finds in the TV bin.

fhdavid52 11-26-10 02:54 PM

I was looking for anything Star Trek, except for the Borg collection and the Klingon collection. Didn't find any of the stuff that I looking for. I did however score a bunch of Hot Wheels treasure hunts.

Emma311 11-26-10 03:50 PM

I got Twin Peaks The Second Season at mine. There wasn't anything else I wanted.
Other Titles They Had:
The Hills Season 1 & 2
Melrose Place The Third Season
The Fugitive Season One, Vol. Two
Bosom Buddies (not sure which season it was)
1 of those Star Trek compilations

Dr. Phibes 11-26-10 03:57 PM

I went to the Cary, NC store around 11:30 today and they had a good 60 or so sets still left, I figured they would've been wiped out when I got there. I only had a few I was looking for, so I grabbed:

Friday the 13 Season 2 - 2 copies, they had at least 10 of them there.
Joan of Arcadia
Sabrina Season 1
Family Ties - Season 2 - Wish they had other seasons of these.

I'll probably trade Joan of Arcadia and Sabrina, I couldn't decide, but I had to get back to work so I just grabbed them anyway. If I can't trade them, they'll go back. I might head back tomorrow and grab Happy Days Season 4.

drmar35mm 11-26-10 04:04 PM

This afternoon visited the BL in Brooklyn Ctr. (MN) and found an ample sufficiency of TV boxes still available. (Would love to know if any other good titles sold out this a.m.) Got Matlock S2, H50 S7, Cheers S3, Perry Mason S 3.5, CSI Miami S2, and a movie I've coveted for ages, Soapdish. Not a bad outing.

Manzana 11-26-10 04:14 PM

I thought BL opened at 7am, but it turns out I (and others) misread the ad and those were the Thursday hours. When I got there at 7am and they had already been open an hour, the $6 season DVDs were sitting on the counter and nobody was touching them. They had maybe 12 out of 18 different than the other store, so I got those.

I decided to go to another BL and their $6 sets were mixed in with the DVDs and there I found maybe another 12 out of 18 different ones (it seems every store had the same CSI and Cheers seasons).

Then I went back to the store which had put theirs out early and sold out weeks ago and was shocked to see they had 1.5 boxes left of completely different stuff so they obviously got new shipments. I got 15 sets there (I'll never know what the 3 other sets were). What was lucky for me is the 1 guy also looking through it was reading the back of each set trying to decide while I quickly grabbed 1 of everything without looking, then he looked surprised that his choices went from 15 different sets to about 5 in the 10 seconds he read the back cover. I must be unique in the grab first, decide later strategy.

Now to decide which ones to keep, trade, and return over the next month.

rmw650 11-26-10 04:33 PM

I'm just looking for Love Boat BOTH seasons that are out and nothing more.

ADP 11-26-10 05:28 PM

Ended up hitting 3 BL stores in SC. Picked up:

Wild Wild West S4
Diagnosis Murder S1
CSI S3
CSI Miami S1 & S4

Saw:

Beverly Hillbillies S2
The Hills
Star Trek Clingon
Touched by an Angel
The Fugitive S1 V1 & V2
* Few others I can't remember.

I was specifically looking for Macgyver, Rawhide, Gunsmoke, maybe JAG but didn't see any of those on the shelf. I guess my part of SC didn't get the really good titles. I was in line at 5:40 am and there was a crowd of about 30 people. I figured everyone would rush for the dvd's but that didn't seem to be the case.

Still have one store to hit in NC this weekend so I will report back any new finds.

keylimeroth 11-26-10 05:30 PM

Lorain Ohio

Not much here but they had plenty Family Ties seas 1,2,4

GMan2819 11-26-10 06:34 PM

New ones spotted not in the master list:
JAG S3
Sleeper Cell S1
Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection V2

cesidio 11-26-10 07:22 PM

Picked up:
CSI season 2
CSI season 7
CSI Miami season 1
Star Trek Q
Cheers season 3

Kind of disappointed; was hoping for more Star Trek sets and Police squad.

Saw Laguna Beach various seasons
Daily Show Indecision 2004
Matlock various seasons
Sabrina various seasons
Hawaii 5-O season 5
Basically all the stuff that has already been posted.

Went to 3 stores all of them pretty much had the same stuff. Not a bad haul, but was hoping for better

yellahoosh 11-26-10 07:35 PM

I was at the local BL right when the door opened - there was a line of 10 ppl or so waiting when we walked up. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what they wanted exactly. The DVD sets were rather paltry and hard to find - once the masses spotted them they swarmed around us and started grabbing feverishly. We went to two other stores later and saw the same sets more or less. Wonder if the selection is a regional thing. A little disappointing. I was really hoping for Police Squad and Beverly Hillbillies. Came out with:
Streets of San Fran Season 2 Vol 1
Hawaii Five-O Season 4

SI78 11-26-10 07:46 PM

I was the first person in my local Big Lots this morning (after pulling up about 10 minutes before opening). I was thrilled. I ran inside to find one paltry box of the TV sets with about 2 copies each of 10 total titles. I ended up walking away with only Bosom Buddies S1. Most of the titles mentioned in this thread were not available. Highly disappointing.

thetao 11-26-10 08:20 PM

In the end, I hit 4 BL stores. Due to an alarm clock malfunction and a wrong turn, I arrived at the Lebanon store at 6:15. They had a decent quantity, but some titles were already looking picked over. Bought a Twin Peaks S2 and a Police Squad. This was the bulk of what I wanted and was considering stopping there, but as the morning was young, decided to drive on.

I arrived at the Harrisburg BL at 7 am, and after inquiring with a stock person, was told they were completely sold out! This seemed really fishy and I'm thinking it was the same situation "GMan2819" alluded to above: some jerk showed up at 6 am and made off with every last set. I had specifically called them earlier in the week, so I knew they'd received stock. This discouraged me from hitting Camp Hill (an equally large market), so I drove south to York. That BL had largely the same titles and quantities as Lebanon, and was a bit less picked over, but had nothing I wanted.

This evening I stopped at the Lancaster store, just in case. Contrary to what three employees told me earlier in the week, Lancaster got stock after all. They had the $6 TV Set sign sitting on the kids DVD display (quite misleading), with the TV sets instead sitting up near the registers. And they were hardly picked over at all. Perhaps it was from all their disinformation? The quantities were similar to Lebanon and York, and still nothing that I wanted. I'm working on a few trades and will revisit Lancaster tomorrow, and also York, when I go to see the Harry Potter film.

I am not a traditional BF shopper, and now resent a little bit more having to jump through hoops to avoid potential situations like the one at Harrisburg. Part of me wishes I lived near one of the stores that put out their stock immediately.

Torchur317 11-26-10 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Phibes (Post 10513048)
Friday the 13 Season 2 - 2 copies

This was the main one I wanted but none of mine had it. :(

MooMooMooMoo 11-26-10 08:59 PM

i went to 2 stores mid afternoon. The Boxes aere moving surprisingly slowly. One store was mobbed, 1 was slowish, but both still had quite a few of the boxes left (Kent Wa & Pearl Tacoma WA).

From what I've heard from store personnel each store is getting around 9 boxes of (mostly) the same 18 titles, but they are very much varying by store. I did not see anything that hasn't already been reported.

Undeadcow 11-26-10 09:27 PM

Curiously, has anyone seen any of the following items in this wave?

Matlock S3, S4, or S5
Friday the 13th S1 or S3
Wild Wild West S1 or S2

[if yes PM me]

comix8 11-26-10 10:05 PM

Apparently all the copies of Twin Peaks s2 were sent to Columbus today. I saw at least 4 copies at every Big Lots I stopped at today.

Couldn't find a single copy of Sabrina s1 though. Found seasons 2-4, but no season 1. :(

cesidio 11-26-10 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 10513448)
Curiously, has anyone seen any of the following items in this wave?

Matlock S3, S4, or S5
Friday the 13th S1 or S3
Wild Wild West S1 or S2

[if yes PM me]

saw matlock 3 and 4

no Friday 13th
or wild wild west.

This whole batch seems to have been hit and miss depending on with part of the country you live in.

MrSmearkase 11-26-10 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by cesidio (Post 10513548)
This whole batch seems to have been hit and miss depending on with part of the country you live in.

This statement applies to many of Big Lots' shipments, unfortunately.