Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Outer Limits Original Series Complete Box Set- $27.49 @ Amazon

The Outer Limits Original Series Complete Box Set- $27.49

7 discs of one of the best shows ever.

Old 11-05-10, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Outer Limits Original Series Complete Box Set- $27.49 @ Amazon

I presume that the QC problems that these discs had years ago have been resolved, correct? Some of the discs in the original sets wouldn't play.
Old 11-05-10, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
I presume that the QC problems that these discs had years ago have been resolved, correct? Some of the discs in the original sets wouldn't play.
That and the use of double sided discs has kept me away from this title.
Old 11-05-10, 01:31 PM
Banned

I had trouble with the original releases as well where some episodes wouldn't play and others froze up BUT I purchased this new set and have not had a problem with any of the episodes and I have watched them all! Great price BTW-
Old 11-05-10, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smurr05
I had trouble with the original releases as well where some episodes wouldn't play and others froze up BUT I purchased this new set and have not had a problem with any of the episodes and I have watched them all! Great price BTW-
How long ago did you buy this version? Having gone through trouble and returning the second season, I'm gun shy. I really love this show and would love to grab it.
Old 11-05-10, 02:29 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

After reading the Amazon reviews and comments, it still seems dicey. It sounds like a repackaging of the older, problematic discs. I think I'll hold off despite the great price.
Old 11-05-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I bought the 3 separate boxes for $36 total a couple years back & thought i got a great deal. IMO, OL was the best USA 60's TV show.
Old 11-05-10, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Quatermass
After reading the Amazon reviews and comments, it still seems dicey. It sounds like a repackaging of the older, problematic discs. I think I'll hold off despite the great price.
It is just a repackaging. This has been in my cart at this price for a couple of weeks and I've yet to pull the trigger because of all the complaints. I do want it but it may not be worth the risk.
Old 11-06-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by smurr05
Same here. I picked up this set when it came down to $27 on Amazon a while back and like others was worried about the discs. Have had no problem either playability of the discs or with the quality of the shows themselves.
Old 11-07-10, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the heads up, just placed an order. Almost all the shows from this series were top-notch, but I'm buying it specifically to have the two-part episode "The Inheritors". Classic television at it's absolute best.
Old 11-07-10, 06:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pizza
How long ago did you buy this version? Having gone through trouble and returning the second season, I'm gun shy. I really love this show and would love to grab it.
Its been about a year. Got it through Amazon and as I have stated I've watched all the episodes and had ZERO problems with any of them so You guys can make up your own minds. I never did read anything to the effect that MGM did anything different to fix the errors all I know is that this set played absolutely fine for me!
Old 11-07-10, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

With the Twilight Zone coming to BD, what is the likelihood of Outer Limits getting a BD release?
Old 11-07-10, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

There are no errors on the 3 separate volumes that I have.
Old 11-08-10, 08:31 AM

Once upon a time (don't remember when), there were some issues with DVD-18s (double side, double layer) discs that made some freeze up during playback on some players. I found out about this after having bought various series with these, so I opened them all up and scanned them with a BenQ drive (how sad they don't make those good error scanning BenQ drives any more). Most DVD-18s I scanned had pretty bad error scans... worse than some of the crappiest recordable media I had tried before. However, on the various players I did quick tests, for the most part the discs still worked. I never had time to watch more than 1 or 2 such discs all the way through, but seeing the bad error scans turned me off DVD-18s. Who knows if they've improved or made better batches since or if these are from the problem batches. Unless you have time to watch every one of your discs within your return time limit or you have a BenQ drive to scan (which still doesn't guarantee it won't play), you're just hoping. I'd still guess even if you got a bad batch chances are greater than 50% the disc will play all the way through because many players seem to be pretty forgiving of these errors.

I will say that I've had only a few DVD-18s (maybe 3) lock up during playback which is a small number but greater than 0 which is what it should be. The solution once you're past your return window is sadly to try another player which is a hassle if you're comfortable in a particular room. So I've avoided DVD-18s ever since I found out and that's why I've ignored this set at this price. Maybe if it were $10 I'd feel it's worth the gamble. I'm all for saving space and I wouldn't mind double side, double layer discs if they didn't have this reliability issue, but after a problem happens... even once... I'm very slow to trust again.

Last edited by Manzana; 11-08-10 at 08:38 AM.