Reload this Page >

November Criterion Sale

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

November Criterion Sale

Old 11-14-10, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: November Criterion Sale

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
They should put this quote on all of the Criterion cases.
That would be great!
Old 11-14-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by illennium
Overheard in the upper east side location today:

Dad, age around 45 (points to bin of Criterions marked 50% off) : "What are these?"
Son, age around 17 (rifles through bin) : "These look like... independent movies. They're all small movies. They're movies like I could make."
Dad: "Yeah, that's why they're 50% off. I bet your French teacher would like this crap."
Thanks for sharing this. That story is too funny... and honestly, quite sad. I also can't help but wonder how wealthy they are if they think 50% off movies priced at $40 is them trying to dump these? They probably didn't even notice the starting prices.
Old 11-14-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dad, age around 45 (points to bin of Criterions marked 50% off) : "What are these?"
Son, age around 17 (rifles through bin) : "These look like... independent movies. They're all small movies. They're movies like I could make."
Dad: "Yeah, that's why they're 50% off. I bet your French teacher would like this crap."
Old 11-14-10, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

So, I said I probably wasn't going to use any in-store coupons, but then I changed my mind.

I made my first purchases Friday. I used two $5 off at two different stores for a total of 4 Blu-rays. During those trips, I got House, Darjeeling Limited at one store and The Magician, Black Orpheus at the other.

Earlier in the week, I happened to look at my Thank You Network points on one of my credit cards and realized I could exchange them for B&N gift cards. I cashed in for $125 and they arrived Saturday. So, I got a friend of mine with a membership to ride with me and I got another 5 at two stores. I would have bought a couple more, but the store that had Crumb on Blu-ray when I went Friday had sold out. Then I was also going to get Paths of Glory, but it was nowhere to be found. Their inventory showed one copy, but we couldn't find it. And we looked! In fact, the woman working in the area called in someone else to come into the section so she could look through all the Blu-rays trying to find it. This is happening while there is a line forming for checkouts. She kept saying how much she liked Stanley Kubrick and kept looking. We never found it, but I appreciated the effort. So, no Crumb and neither store had any copies of Antichrist. But I did get Seven Samurai, Breathless, Charade, Thin Red Line and Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.

As for ease of coupons, I had even less of an issue this time as compared to last sale. Previously, I would have issues because they would ring up the movie at $20 and then add the membership discount, making it ineligible for the coupon. Usually, a manager would be called and they would OK it. This time, no problems at all. Scan item, then coupon, ask for member phone number and done. I think there would be problems if I tried to use the same coupon multiple times. They allow me to do separate purchases to use the 2 different $5 off coupons. That's why it helps to bring a friend.

My dad is going to be there this week (it's about a 45-minute drive), so I might give him a couple of coupons to pick up Modern Times and Night of the Hunter. I'll just let him use my membership. The rest I was planning on buying (Crumb, Paths of Glory, Antichrist) might end up being online purchases.
Old 11-14-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
So, I said I probably wasn't going to use any in-store coupons, but then I changed my mind.

As for ease of coupons, I had even less of an issue this time as compared to last sale. Previously, I would have issues because they would ring up the movie at $20 and then add the membership discount, making it ineligible for the coupon. Usually, a manager would be called and they would OK it. This time, no problems at all. Scan item, then coupon, ask for member phone number and done. I think there would be problems if I tried to use the same coupon multiple times. They allow me to do separate purchases to use the 2 different $5 off coupons. That's why it helps to bring a friend.
I find that it depends on the BN rep that checks your order out. I only have one store in my area. The three guys working electronics are awesome with accepting the coupon. The woman that works there is a PITA!

First she complained about my reuse of the coupon, however, she said she'd allow it this time. Gee Thanks! Then she started complaining that my coupon was hard to read despite the fact that she already knew what it was!

On the flip side, the one college guy that is a part timer there is as nice as can be, and told me he spent over $200 on the sale so far himself.

My attitude regarding overuse of the coupons is this: If BN corporate really had a problem with it, they would have done something about it by now, either through their computer software or via a warning to each store. Instead they keep offering the coupons and allowing the stores to do as they wish. The fact that YMMV on the coupons is reason enough to keep trying them IMO.
Old 11-14-10, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up:

The Double Life of Veronique
The Red Shoes
Black Narcissus
Kapo
Jules and Jim

total of $67

The guy at the register told me that i could use the 25% for all, but when i was done with my purchase i checked my receipt and noticed that he only put 25% for the most expensive
He lied. I was already expecting $40 something for the whole lot. Oh well. I guess i'm gonna come back tonight.
Old 11-15-10, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by kthnxbai
Got Eyes Without a Face, hope it's good.

Debating on getting Brazil and Antichrist. Anyone want to put in their two cents on these?
Just recently watched EYES WITHOUT A FACE. Don't worry, its an excellent little Horror flick.
Old 11-15-10, 09:57 AM

I did receive an e-mail today that the Eclipse 14: Rossellini was not avail. and I had 24 to click "I still want this" and if I don't, they would cancel the order. Curious if others who received a cancellation also got the 24 hour notification.
Old 11-15-10, 05:16 PM

Yesterday I used the 25% off non-member coupon at four DC-area locations (Downtown; Georgetown; Clarendon; Potomac Yards). Everything went smooth as silk. I only use that coupon for single item purchases - but luckily there are so many Barnes & Noble stores in the DC area it's possible to use the coupon several times. I've never been hassled about it.

I bought:

Nikkatsu Noir - $26.24 + tax
Red Desert - $15.00 + tax
Yi-Yi - $15.00 + tax
The Vanishing $11.25 + tax

Should there be another 25% off coupon for this coming weekend I would try to use it on Night of the Hunter - but I will probably end up using my AAA 10% on-line for any final purchases before the sale ends.
Old 11-15-10, 06:04 PM

Barnes & Noble emailed me my notice of shipping for Breathless and Vivre Sa Vie. Unfortunately, they are using DHL.
Old 11-15-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kndy
I did receive an e-mail today that the Eclipse 14: Rossellini was not avail. and I had 24 to click "I still want this" and if I don't, they would cancel the order. Curious if others who received a cancellation also got the 24 hour notification.
I did not on any of my 3 tries ordering the Blu of House. Each time it was canceled within 24 hours of placing the order under the excuse, "we tried to no avail to find the item", even when ordered in-store.
Old 11-15-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newginafets
Picked up:

The Double Life of Veronique
The Red Shoes
Black Narcissus
Kapo
Jules and Jim

total of $67

The guy at the register told me that i could use the 25% for all, but when i was done with my purchase i checked my receipt and noticed that he only put 25% for the most expensive
He lied. I was already expecting $40 something for the whole lot. Oh well. I guess i'm gonna come back tonight.
They just announced The Double Life On Veronique on Blu-Ray for February 2011. Just an FYI.
Old 11-15-10, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang

I made my first purchases Friday. I used two $5 off at two different stores for a total of 4 Blu-rays. During those trips, I got House, Darjeeling Limited at one store and The Magician, Black Orpheus at the other.

Earlier in the week, I happened to look at my Thank You Network points on one of my credit cards and realized I could exchange them for B&N gift cards. I cashed in for $125 and they arrived Saturday. So, I got a friend of mine with a membership to ride with me and I got another 5 at two stores. I would have bought a couple more, but the store that had Crumb on Blu-ray when I went Friday had sold out. Then I was also going to get Paths of Glory, but it was nowhere to be found. Their inventory showed one copy, but we couldn't find it. And we looked! In fact, the woman working in the area called in someone else to come into the section so she could look through all the Blu-rays trying to find it. This is happening while there is a line forming for checkouts. She kept saying how much she liked Stanley Kubrick and kept looking. We never found it, but I appreciated the effort. So, no Crumb and neither store had any copies of Antichrist. But I did get Seven Samurai, Breathless, Charade, Thin Red Line and Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.

My dad is going to be there this week (it's about a 45-minute drive), so I might give him a couple of coupons to pick up Modern Times and Night of the Hunter. I'll just let him use my membership. The rest I was planning on buying (Crumb, Paths of Glory, Antichrist) might end up being online purchases.
My local store didn't have Paths of Glory & Thin Red Line I end up ask the cashier do in store purchase with 25% off coupon and get it shipped free to my house (if u have BN membership) Kinda Sad no extra 10% off BN membership discount for online purchase. At least i paid only $16.XX each
Old 11-15-10, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ResIpsa
They just announced The Double Life On Veronique on Blu-Ray for February 2011. Just an FYI.
it's ok. By the time the blu ray comes, there's no more 50% off. I still love DVD, if i found the DVD version is way cheaper, id go for DVD.

Final:

Ikiru
The Throne of Blood
Paris, Texas
La Strada

Total = $37
Old 11-15-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by newginafets
It's OK. By the time the Blu-ray comes, there's no more 50% off.
There's always next June...
Old 11-15-10, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Best overheard conversation ever!
Old 11-16-10, 11:19 AM

Not a great morning!

On my travels this morning, I picked up Night of the Hunter at the Nashua NH store for $17.50 - a great price.

BUT - when I got home, I found that the booklet had the first few pages folded over, with the expected ugly white fold lines right across the pages. I checked with the nearest B&N to home, and they were already sold out at around 11.30am, so they're ordering me a replacement copy - a drag to be sure, but it should work out in the end.
Old 11-16-10, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams
Not a great morning!

On my travels this morning, I picked up Night of the Hunter at the Nashua NH store for $17.50 - a great price.

BUT - when I got home, I found that the booklet had the first few pages folded over, with the expected ugly white fold lines right across the pages. I checked with the nearest B&N to home, and they were already sold out at around 11.30am, so they're ordering me a replacement copy - a drag to be sure, but it should work out in the end.
I would contact Criterion to see if they can send you a new booklet. Others have had luck (for free) in the past. In my opinion, it's the kind of customer service that makes Criterion so great.

I've actually never seen Night of the Hunter, but I've contemplated picking it up during the sale. I still have so much to purchase though.
Old 11-16-10, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
I would contact Criterion to see if they can send you a new booklet. Others have had luck (for free) in the past. In my opinion, it's the kind of customer service that makes Criterion so great.
Criterion do have great customer service, via Jon Mulvaney. But I'm going to let the store get me a replacement as its the simplest thing to do. It is nice to know that Criterion's service is there if need be, though!
Old 11-16-10, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
I've actually never seen Night of the Hunter, but I've contemplated picking it up during the sale. I still have so much to purchase though.
Trust me; it's a *must* buy; haunting imagery, beautifully photographed, masterfully directed, chock full of outstanding performances, with an extremely high rewatch value.

I've got nine items, ordered Nov. 1 that have a ship date of Nov. 22 and I'm very nervous with all this talk about various items being mysteriously cancelled.

If my Night Of The Hunter is cancelled and I'm unable to re-order before the sale ends, you'll hear my scream way across The Pond...
Old 11-16-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by John Hodson
Trust me; it's a *must* buy; haunting imagery, beautifully photographed, masterfully directed, chock full of outstanding performances, with an extremely high rewatch value.
OK, you talked me into it....thanks!

P.S. - Here's hoping B&N doesn't bollocks-up your orders.
Old 11-16-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
There's always next June...
I'm impatience. Besides, the DVD has more bonus than the blu ray? i mean the book and everything.
Old 11-16-10, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got 2 more at the Newington, NH, store today:

Modern Times BD $13
Night of the Hunter BD $17.50
Old 11-16-10, 09:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Alright, I'm done with the sale!

Total haul...
Spoiler:
Shipment #1 to Canada (incl. Library discount, GST, shipping)
The Darjeeling Limited - Blu-ray - $21.01
The Magician - Blu-ray - $21.01
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence - Blu-ray - $21.01
Crumb - Blu-ray - $21.01
Secret of the Grain - Blu-ray - $21.01
Red Desert - Blu-ray - $21.01
Summer Hours - Blu-ray - $21.01
Bigger than Life - Blu-ray - $21.01
Lola Montes - Blu-ray - $21.01
Breathless - Blu-ray - $21.01
Charade - Blu-ray - $21.01
Black Orpheus - Blu-ray - $21.01
Seven Samurai - Blu-ray - $25.75

Shipment #2 to Canada (incl. Library discount, GST, shipping)
Black Narcissus - Blu-ray - $21.00

Purchased in DFW area (incl. coupons, state tax)
Night of the Hunter - Blu-ray - $18.94
The Leopard - Blu-ray - $18.22
By Brakhage V1 & V2 - Blu-ray - $29.22
Days of Heaven - Blu-ray - $14.61
The Red Shoes - Blu-ray - $14.61
Paths of Glory - Blu-ray - $14.61
Yojimbo & Sanjuro Box Set - Blu-ray - $25.58
M - Blu-ray - $14.58
Antichrist - Blu-ray - $14.58
Walkabout - Blu-ray - $14.58
The Complete Monterey Pop - Blu-ray - $25.51
House - Blu-ray - $19.49
Revanche - Blu-ray - $14.62
Mystery Train - Blu-ray - $14.62
Hunger - Blu-ray - $14.61
8 1/2 - Blu-ray - $14.61
First Films of Akira Kurosawa - DVD - $29.22

Shipment #3 to Canada (incl. Library discount, gift card, GST, shipping)
Rolling Stones: Gimme Shelter - Blu-ray - $18.78
Paris, Texas - Blu-ray - $18.78
Vivre Sa Vie - Blu-ray - $18.78
Ride With the Devil - Blu-ray - $18.78
Stagecoach - Blu-ray - $18.78
Close-up - Blu-ray - $18.78
Everlasting Moments - Blu-ray - $18.78
The Thin Red Line - Blu-ray - $18.78
Modern Times - Blu-ray - $18.78
America Lost & Found: BBS Story - Blu-ray - $67.20

As long as the three shipments to Canada actually show up, I'll be a happy camper.
Old 11-16-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got word that my Seven Samurai Blu-Ray and my Night Of The Hunter Blu-Ray have shipped. Still waiting on The Thin Red Line (which supposedly shipped a couple days ago) and my Louie Bluie DVD (which has yet to ship).

Originally Posted by ResIpsa
I know. It kills me since I just bought the DVD the last sale. *sigh* Well, I'll just have to upgrade; the film will look outstanding in Blu, no doubt.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.