Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

November Criterion Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-10, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: November Criterion Sale

Placed my 3rd B&N order: Seven Samurai (Blu), The Night Of The Hunter (Blu), and Louie Bluie. I'll probably make one more before the sale ends.
Old 11-13-10, 08:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeShaynePI
What a fucking nightmare this place is. I never should have gone with trying this online. Maybe Amazon has just spoiled me but B&N has the worst customer service ever. I had a package that I was notified shipped on Monday. Since I signed up for the faster shipping I expected it in a day or two. Here we are on Friday and still no package. Not only that, but the items, shipped in to separate packages, show nothing in tracking. Nothing. There is no record beyond a tracking number of these packages existing. Customer service, of which I can only reach by phone, tells me "umm...you want a refund?" I'm like "no I want to know what happened?" And all I get is a runaround. So, definitely never doing business with Barnes & Noble again. What a fucking joke. I hope they go down in flames.
Originally Posted by jwstl
That's a little harsh after one bad experience. I've purchased many things from BN.com over the years and only needed customer service once and they fixed the problem right away. It took some extra explaining but it was worked out to my satisfaction. If I stopped shopping at every place after one bad experience I wouldn't be shopping anywhere.
I'd say ridiculously harsh, but agree with the rest jwstl. EVERY company and person makes mistakes, and I'll take a couple of days delay for getting less than half price Criterions.

Once things are sent to the shipper, where multiple companies are often involved, B&N likely doesn't even have the capability to give you exact tracking details. If it doesn't come they'll re-ship. Relax.
Old 11-13-10, 10:57 AM

How often does B&N run this sale?
Old 11-13-10, 11:04 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by kthnxbai
How often does B&N run this sale?
This is the 4th such sale, July and November this year and last. But given B&N's financial problems, I'm acting as if this is the last one.
Old 11-13-10, 11:12 AM

Already ordered House and Charade on Blu-Ray for myself plus Charade and Night of the Hunter on DVD for my grandparents for Christmas.

I think I'll pick up Eyes Without A Face and The Honeymoon Killers in store today. Possibly Antichrist (on b-r)
Old 11-13-10, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
This is the 4th such sale, July and November this year and last. But given B&N's financial problems, I'm acting as if this is the last one.
They're having financial problems? That's not good.
Old 11-13-10, 11:37 AM

They're having financial problems? That's not good.
They've had financial problems for quite a while.
Old 11-13-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I printed out one of the non-member "25% Off One Item" coupons and it worked just fine. I sort of wanted to just print out several and go back at various times, but I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble. There was a lot I wanted, but I left with...

-Bottle Rocket (Blu-ray)
-The Darjeeling Limited (DVD)
-Paths Of Glory (Blu-ray)
-The Seventh Seal (Blu-ray)

Not a member so I didn't get any of the added discounts, but I can't complain.

Oh, and I know people were looking for Antichrist on Blu-ray. When I checked the inventory of my store online it said "not in stock" but when I went there they had two copies. If you're in the Miami, FL area and are looking for it, PM me and I'll tell you which store specifically.
Old 11-13-10, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, it just gets better and better. After I blew up at B&N's website over their shitty service and canceling my order, I printed out the 25% off coupon and went to a store to get the Nikkatsu Noir boxset I had ordered. Came out to around $25 bucks. Not bad for something marked at $70. So, pretty awesome right? Until I open the package when I get home and think I'm seeing double. There's Cruel Gun Story, A Colt is my Passport, Take Aim at the Police Van, I Am Waiting and.... A Colt is my Passport. Wait, what? There were two fucking A Colt is my Passport discs. Fuck! Obviously not B&N's problem. I emailed Criterion asking them to send me the missing movie.
Old 11-13-10, 04:04 PM

Today I made the long 1+ hr. drive to the nearest B&N. I figured my membership will expire next week, might as well take advantage of these in-store coupons I never use. So, I printed the four different 25% off coupons that expire tomorrow….

Typically I used the B&N AAA store for 10% off….but I wanted to see how much savings I would get via in-store.

So, went to the nearest store and unfortunately, the titles I did want are not there….but other titles I wanted to get in the past (but were a bit pricey) were in stock. I figured I’d give the coupons a try and purchase those…

At first the salesperson said one coupon but he said that because each of the four have different codes, he can ring four different transactions.

Mishima – A Life in Four Chapters – $39.99 with 50% off + my membership and coupon it came to $13.50 (if I bought online with my 10% discount, it would be $17.99).

George Bernard Shaw – Eclipse – $44.99 and with 50% off + membership and coupon it came to $15.19.

Nikkatsu Noir – $69.99 with 50% off + coupon and membership, it came to $23.62.

Human Condition – $79.99 with 50% off + coupon and membership it came to $26.99.

Wow!!!! Man, I would renew in a heartbeat if there was a B&N store nearby. But rarely would I drive up that far for a B&N store. But that’s a major savings than what I would get via B&N + Membership and my usual 10% off.

If this is the final 50% off Criterion sale for B&N as a few are speculating…I’m happy to have taken advantage of the four sales thus far!
Old 11-13-10, 06:21 PM

Ordered the following through BN/The Library:

House Blu
Paths of Glory Blu
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
Modern Times Blu
Night of the Hunter Blu
Charade Blu
The Magician
Late Spring
Thin Red Line Blu
Von Sternberg Set
Ingmar Bergman Trilogy
Bad Sleep Well

So far only the first three titles were shipped. The others on a 1 to 2 weeks availability which is a concern for me.
Old 11-13-10, 06:52 PM

Got Eyes Without a Face, hope it's good.

Debating on getting Brazil and Antichrist. Anyone want to put in their two cents on these?
Old 11-13-10, 07:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Debating on getting Brazil and Antichrist. Anyone want to put in their two cents on these?
Brazil is a must. Antichrist is arguably the most polarizing release of the year. Might want to rent that one first.
Old 11-13-10, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by mikelowry
Ordered the following through BN/The Library:

House Blu
Paths of Glory Blu
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
Modern Times Blu
Night of the Hunter Blu
Charade Blu
The Magician
Late Spring
Thin Red Line Blu
Von Sternberg Set
Ingmar Bergman Trilogy
Bad Sleep Well

So far only the first three titles were shipped. The others on a 1 to 2 weeks availability which is a concern for me.
Yeah, I know this is after the fact but I would of separated the shipping 24hrs purchases from the purchases that had 1-2 shipping, because it will put a hold on your purchase. Especially if you have pre-ordered. Knock on wood though...hopefully no cancellations.

Originally Posted by Trevor
The same here. But it's been a good two years...I know you have taken advantage of the sale as I have as well. If Borders ends up buying B&N, I don't know...

You know...anyone think Amazon will follow B&N's Criterion sale with a sale of their own? I know some of us thought it would happen last summer, but it never did. We'll see if Amazon does it...
Old 11-13-10, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

It is... great imagery; said to have influenced Carpenter's Halloween.
Old 11-13-10, 08:04 PM

I was checking dvdbeaver before I placed my order for Vivre sa vie and I read this for the aspect ratio:

Original Aspect Ratio 1.33:1 (matted to 1.78)

I know the film is supposed to be 4:3, but what do they mean "matted to 1.78"?
Old 11-13-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsz1002
They've had financial problems for quite a while.
Not to hijack, but this isn't true. They have little debt, and plenty of cash. They were in the news because an outside investor thought their stock was undervalued and there was a stock fight. They're having digital growing pains and wondering what to do with the B&M stores, but they're not even close to going out of business.
Old 11-13-10, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cocophone
I was checking dvdbeaver before I placed my order for Vivre sa vie and I read this for the aspect ratio:

Original Aspect Ratio 1.33:1 (matted to 1.78)

I know the film is supposed to be 4:3, but what do they mean "matted to 1.78"?
Black bars on the sides, the film is still 1:33:1.
Old 11-13-10, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I've bought a lot, no doubt about it. I've also been contemplating quite a few titles, titles I definitely want or have interest in, but am on the fence about for right now. I was almost sure that I was going to buy both Kurosawa Eclipse sets with the 25% off and the Oshima Eclipse as well, but now I'm thinking of holding off till another time. Same with the Black Orpheus, Everlasting Moments and El Norte Blus.

For me, that means that I have 4 purchases left. Rosellini's War Trilogy tomorrow with the 25% off coupon. Night Of The Hunter, Modern Times and The Thin Red Line all when they come in next week. After that, I'm more than done. Hell, I still have most of my purchases from the past 2 BN Criterion sales to watch.
Old 11-13-10, 09:59 PM

Vivre Sa Vie 1 Estimated Ship Date 11-15-2010
À Bout de Souffle 1 Estimated Ship Date 11-15-2010
Old 11-14-10, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Picked up the AK-100 25 film Kurosawa collection - used the 25% coupon just fine. $135 after 10% member discount. Not a bad price for the collection at all. Now to unload Sanjuro and Yojimbo from the past :-)
Old 11-14-10, 02:09 AM

So a strange thing happened today. I stopped in to Barnes and Noble to pick up The Passion of Joan of Arc with the 25% off coupon, and the coupon rang up as 75% off instead. When the cashier said the price was $5.41, I told her she was wrong, that it should be at least $10 more. I tried explaining it to her several more times, but she wouldn't listen. It's the first time I've ever gotten into an argument with someone over getting something cheaper. In the end, she won, and I told her I should have picked out something more expensive, to which she laughed. Here's how the receipt looked:

Criterion Collection: Jo
0037429139820 T1
(1 @ 39.99) PROMO New Price
(1 @ 20.00) Item Cpn 75% (15.00)
(1 @ 5.00) 5.00

Subtotal 5.00
Sales Tax T1 (8.250%) 0.41
TOTAL 5.41
VISA 5.41

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm going back tomorrow to try again.
Old 11-14-10, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have only one thing to say to you. Congratulations. That is awesome.
Old 11-14-10, 03:52 AM

Can someone enlighten me on the best way to get America Lost & Found: The BBS Story Blu-ray for cheap while the sale is still going on? It'd be much appreciated!
Old 11-14-10, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well your chances of getting it for 50% are pretty slim, but it's possible. Your best bet is to go to your local BN tommorrow with the 25% off coupon. It says it isn't valid for pre-orders, but it's another YMMV situation. I pre-ordered BBS, Videodrome & Cronos all with the coupon. I ended up paying about $75 after tax, not spectacular, but the best price I've seen other than Lasermovies' getting it as part of the 50% off sale.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.