Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

November Criterion Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 10:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: November Criterion Sale

Originally Posted by kefrank
The irony on all of this coupon usage is hilarious. You're urked that they won't honor the exact terms of the other coupons even though you knowingly violated the terms of the coupons you did use. Surely you see how absurd that is don't you?

Honestly, this type of consumerism where the customer tries to game the promotion, gets exposed and shut down, and still feels an incredibly misplaced sense of entitlement is what makes retailers pull their hair out and never want to do any kind of promotion or sale again.
Agreed. If everyone stuck to sporadic visits to BN, and used only ONE coupon per transaction each time, it would be a lot less likely that stores would be shutting people down from using any coupons entirely. This sale goes on for 3 weeks, not 3 days. And, as other have pointed out, BN replenishes its stock very quickly (unlike DD).
Old 11-05-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfunk1
Agreed. If everyone stuck to sporadic visits to BN, and used only ONE coupon per transaction each time, it would be a lot less likely that stores would be shutting people down from using any coupons entirely. This sale goes on for 3 weeks, not 3 days. And, as other have pointed out, BN replenishes its stock very quickly (unlike DD).
The only problem with this scenario is that there are many that live quite far from the nearest B&N. It's not feasible to make return trips.
Old 11-05-10, 11:32 AM

^ I totally understand the distance issue. I don't live anywhere near a Walmart or Fry's. Thus, whenever there are great deals for either of those chain stores, I have to bow out or settle for ordering online and taking a slightly less lucrative discount. The difference in savings from the in-store coupon and just ordering online with a Library link (as one example) is likely comparable to the amount of money spent on gas driving to these far-away locations. For every one cool BN employee that welcomes using multiple coupons in one visit, there are many more that scorn it. Sooner or later, the actions of those who are (unintentionally) shining a spotlight on the rest of us by using the coupons so frequently is that we may not be able to use them on future sales. That would be a shame.
Old 11-05-10, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are ordering online and can wait until Nov 15th and have a discover card, they are going to be offering 20% cashback through their Shop Discover Site starting the 15th through out December
Old 11-05-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by honking
if you are ordering online and can wait until Nov 15th and have a discover card, they are going to be offering 20% cashback through their Shop Discover Site starting the 15th through out December
I don't think so. The email I received and the details on the website mention nothing about Shop Discover. The offer says receive double your cash back on any online purchase. That means you get 2% instead of the usual 1%. The offer details confirm it:

"Earn 2% Cashback Bonus on Internet purchases from 11/15/10 (or the date on which you signed up, whichever is later) through 12/31/10, subject to a cap of $1,000 in purchases. These purchases must post to your account by 12/31/10. If a purchase is not classified as an Internet purchase, it will not qualify."

I wish it was double the Shop Discover amount but I don't believe they will offer that. If you have info to the contrary please post.
Old 11-05-10, 02:12 PM
Cool New Member

Does anybody want to recommend some Melville?

Le cercle rouge
Army of Shadows
Bob le flambeur
Le Samouraï
Les enfants terribles
Le deuxième souffle

The one I am sure I am going to pick up is Le Samourai. I have seen none of them, but have watched some clips and trailers and can tell that they are in my wheel house.
Old 11-05-10, 02:20 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by charles1028

Le cercle rouge
Army of Shadows
Bob le flambeur
Le Samouraï
Les enfants terribles
Le deuxième souffle

The one I am sure I am going to pick up is Le Samourai. I have seen none of them, but have watched some clips and trailers and can tell that they are in my wheel house.
All are great, but Army of Shadows is coming out on blu-ray and Bob le flambeur is out of print. Le Samourai is one of the best films ever, imo.
Old 11-05-10, 02:49 PM

Le cercle rouge
Army of Shadows
Bob le flambeur
Le Samouraï
Les enfants terribles
Le deuxième souffle

Army of Shadows seems to be very popular, but it didn't really resonate with me. I don't think you can go wrong with Le Samouraï though; it's a strong film.
Old 11-05-10, 02:51 PM
Duplicate accounts are verboten

Le cercle rouge
Army of Shadows
Bob le flambeur
Le Samouraï
Les enfants terribles
Le deuxième souffle

le cercle rouge is an excellent heist caper, you won't be disappointed...
Old 11-05-10, 02:55 PM

Many of the newer BD releases don't seem to be well stocked. To make the matter worse, one of the BN stores where I live just got rid of their Movie/Music Dept. (to make place for a Game/Toy Dept.), hopefully it's not indicative of a chain-wide trend.
Old 11-05-10, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by jwstl
I don't think so. The email I received and the details on the website mention nothing about Shop Discover. The offer says receive double your cash back on any online purchase. That means you get 2% instead of the usual 1%. The offer details confirm it:

"Earn 2% Cashback Bonus on Internet purchases from 11/15/10 (or the date on which you signed up, whichever is later) through 12/31/10, subject to a cap of $1,000 in purchases. These purchases must post to your account by 12/31/10. If a purchase is not classified as an Internet purchase, it will not qualify."

I wish it was double the Shop Discover amount but I don't believe they will offer that. If you have info to the contrary please post.
I believe that some of the cashback bonus for stores doubled last year (when going through the shop discover) from 5 to 10% but I'm pretty sure I don't recall bn going from 10 to 20% percent.

Le cercle rouge
Army of Shadows
Bob le flambeur
Le Samouraï
Les enfants terribles
Le deuxième souffle

Second the vote on Le Cercle Rouge. I found it much more rewarding on a second viewing. I thought Army of Shadows was ok and it's also coming out on bd, so you probably can wait on that one. I own Le Deuxieme souffle and that one is pretty disappointing (when compared to the rest of the Melville films).
Old 11-05-10, 03:32 PM

Le cercle rouge
Army of Shadows
Bob le flambeur
Le Samouraï
Les enfants terribles
Le deuxième souffle

Le Cercle Rouge is probably my favorite of the Melville films listed above. Though, I do like (and own) Le Samourai, Le Deuxieme Soufle, Bob Le Flambeur and Army of Shadows.
Old 11-05-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Le cercle rouge
Army of Shadows
Bob le flambeur
Le Samouraï
Les enfants terribles
Le deuxième souffle

Another vote for Le Samourai & Le Cercle Rouge.
Alain Delon is one suave SOB.
Old 11-05-10, 04:13 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It looks like Le Samourai and Le Cercle Rouge will be the way I go. Loving this sale.
Old 11-05-10, 04:14 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Got shot down on coupon because "it's from last year, someone just changed the date." Nevermind that it was printed using the link from B&N.com
Let me guess...the location on 360? That guy is an asshole. I've had some luck here mainly at the Brodie location. The only place worse than the 360 location is the Arboretum one...and they have the best selection.
Old 11-05-10, 04:30 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I just got an email from B&N.com saying that two of my items have been cancelled. No reason given at all, just "despite our efforts, we weren't able to fulfill some or all of the items in your order, as noted below."

These items still appear as "usually ships within 24 hours"

Anyone else have this happen?

edit: Titles were M and Vivre Sa Vie

Last edited by Dan; 11-05-10 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added titles
Old 11-05-10, 04:43 PM

Other forums are reporting same with several Antichrist BDs cancelled and Days of Heaven; something similar happened last sale didn't it?
Old 11-05-10, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by cine
Many of the newer BD releases don't seem to be well stocked. To make the matter worse, one of the BN stores where I live just got rid of their Movie/Music Dept. (to make place for a Game/Toy Dept.), hopefully it's not indicative of a chain-wide trend.
I live closest to the B&N in North Brunswick, NJ and they also removed all CD's and DVD's to create a toy store. They had toys and games scattered all over the store anyway. Was going in to look for a copy of Kurosawa's RAN (now OOP) I spotted on my last visit for the Criterion sale. Should have grabbed it then. Had a $50 gift card, too. Crap!
Old 11-05-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like Le Samourai and Le Cercle Rouge will be the way I go.
You've made the correct choice.
Old 11-05-10, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I just got back from my local Barnes & Noble. I placed an order for the following:

A Film Trilogy by Ingmar Bergman
The ELement of Crime
Red Beard
The Night of The Hunter
The 39 Steps.

the store I went to doesn't have a DVD section, so for some reason, they said the 50% discount doesn't apply to them in a ship to store situation. Fine.

So I ordered them in person but the sale went through as an "online" purchase.

Shipping was free
50% off was in effect
and I was able to use a 5 dollar off, and 5 dollar off 50 coupon.

Here's the snag. Because shipping was free, she said they no longer add the members 10% discount. So I managed to get all discounts minus the 10%.

I really wasn't up to date on the situation, so I couldn't argue as to whether or not I was still entitled to the 10% discount.

Does anyone know what the story is when it comes to member discount and member free shipping? Is it one or the other now? or did I just get bent over?
Old 11-05-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chadm
I just got back from my local Barnes & Noble. I placed an order for the following:

A Film Trilogy by Ingmar Bergman
The ELement of Crime
Red Beard
The Night of The Hunter
The 39 Steps.

the store I went to doesn't have a DVD section, so for some reason, they said the 50% discount doesn't apply to them in a ship to store situation. Fine.

So I ordered them in person but the sale went through as an "online" purchase.

Shipping was free
50% off was in effect
and I was able to use a 5 dollar off, and 5 dollar off 50 coupon.

Here's the snag. Because shipping was free, she said they no longer add the members 10% discount. So I managed to get all discounts minus the 10%.

I really wasn't up to date on the situation, so I couldn't argue as to whether or not I was still entitled to the 10% discount.

Does anyone know what the story is when it comes to member discount and member free shipping? Is it one or the other now? or did I just get bent over?
The 10% membership discount does not apply to ship to home orders. Since you essentially did an online order at a store you do not qualify for the discount. However you were fortunate they did allow you to use the coupons because technically they are not allowed for the sale online, or for ship to home orders.

The member discount online was replaced with free express shipping. You qualify for the 10% discount for purchases made at the store.
Old 11-05-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Used my first coupon today and got the Seven Samurai blu for $17.50.
Old 11-06-10, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by durden269
Don't try it at the downtown Seattle store.
So I had a remarkable second experience down there today. After being told my coupon dates were wrong last time, I grabbed one of the new raft of coupons and went down there again...only to be told this time that the coupon doesn't work on trial memberships, only paid memberships. Clerk made superfluous mentions of how he was telling me this AGAIN, i.e. we remember you from last time. You cannot fool our crack team of video clerks.

Miffed, I asked to speak to a manager. When I did, I found out why this store's clerks are so anti-coupon: it comes from the top. Management essentially thinks all coupon use is some kind of shady Internet fraud they haven't figured out yet, and have instructed staff to look for any excuse to deny them.

"You can't have got this coupon yet!" she said triumphantly. "They don't mail it out until after your free trial ends." I told her the coupons were always available on the B&N website, not just via email. "Yes, people on the Web are always copying them and changing dates and things," she said vaguely, so I pulled out my phone and showed her where the coupons were located on her chain's own site. No dice. "I think you should talk to website customer service then. THAT COUPON ISN'T FOR YOU."

She kept saying this over and over, like a mantra. THAT COUPON ISN'T FOR YOU. I understand there's a case to be made that the $5 coupon shouldn't work with trial memberships...the fine print does use the word "purchased," after all. But I spent $150 on bn.com last week in the transaction that got me the trial membership...I sure consider it a purchase. My "welcome!" email told me I'd be getting the same benefits as paid members, including "exclusive coupons."

Finally I told her, "Look, if I were running a Barnes & Noble, my FAVORITE customers would be the ones who followed our deals and sales closely and were knowledgeable. I'd cater to those people. I wouldn't look for excuses to derail their purchases." She gave me the $5 off to get rid of me and kept repeating that this was a one-time thing only, you're on our list now, don't try any of the other stores, we know your name, we'll be watching, etc. etc. After hearing this routine for the fifth time, I got pretty annoyed. "That sounds vaguely threatening," I told her. "I'm not being threatening. It's just a statement. We know who you are now." Shit, Barnes and/or Noble might be watching me RIGHT NOW!!! Better close my blinds.

Look, I'm almost always sympathetic to people working retail, because customers are jerks. And I've definitely used the $5 off coupon more than once in past sales, so it's not like I am the world's most perfect example of Barnes & Noble integrity. But I feel like I totally failed to get through to Ms. Manager on the most important point: customers don't like it when you assume they are criminals and counterfeiters and treat them accordingly! Some of them might be gaming the system in silly ways, but many are just going to be people like me who heard about an awesome deal online and made a good-faith attempt to take advantage of it. When the manager asked me if I'd been to other B&Ns in the area, I gave some noncommittal "Oh, I think I've been to your store in the mall before..." answer, and the clerk just starting smirking into his register. He might as well have waved a sign saying "I THINK YOU ARE A LIAR." Yeah, keep laughing there, $8.50-an-hour.

Long story short: don't try it at the downtown Seattle store.

Last edited by Hall Monitor; 11-06-10 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-06-10, 12:37 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Hall Monitor
So I had a remarkable second experience down there today. After being told my coupon dates were wrong last time, I grabbed one of the new raft of coupons and went down there again...only to be told this time that the coupon doesn't work on trial memberships, only paid memberships. Clerk made superfluous mentions of how he was telling me this AGAIN, i.e. we remember you from last time. You cannot fool our crack team of video clerks.

Miffed, I asked to speak to a manager. When I did, I found out why this store's clerks are so anti-coupon: it comes from the top. Management essentially thinks all coupon use is some kind of shady Internet fraud they haven't figured out yet, and have instructed staff to look for any excuse to deny them.

"You can't have got this coupon yet!" she said triumphantly. "They don't mail it out until after your free trial ends." I told her the coupons were always available on the B&N website, not just via email. "Yes, people on the Web are always copying them and changing dates and things," she said vaguely, so I pulled out my phone and showed her where the coupons were located on her chain's own site. No dice. "I think you should talk to website customer service then. THAT COUPON ISN'T FOR YOU."

She kept saying this over and over, like a mantra. THAT COUPON ISN'T FOR YOU. I understand there's a case to be made that the $5 coupon shouldn't work with trial memberships...the fine print does use the word "purchased," after all. But I spent $150 on bn.com last week in the transaction that got me the trial membership...I sure consider it a purchase. My "welcome!" email told me I'd be getting the same benefits as paid members, including "exclusive coupons."

Finally I told her, "Look, if I were running a Barnes & Noble, my FAVORITE customers would be the ones who followed our deals and sales closely and were knowledgeable. I'd cater to those people. I wouldn't look for excuses to derail their purchases." She gave me the $5 off to get rid of me and kept repeating that this was a one-time thing only, you're on our list now, don't try any of the other stores, we know your name, we'll be watching, etc. etc. After hearing this routine for the fifth time, I got pretty annoyed. "That sounds vaguely threatening," I told her. "I'm not being threatening. It's just a statement. We know who you are now." Shit, Barnes and/or Noble might be watching me RIGHT NOW!!! Better close my blinds.

Look, I'm almost always sympathetic to people working retail, because customers are jerks. And I've definitely used the $5 off coupon more than once in past sales, so it's not like I am the world's most perfect example of Barnes & Noble integrity. But I feel like I totally failed to get through to Ms. Manager on the most important point: customers don't like it when you assume they are criminals and counterfeiters and treat them accordingly! Some of them might be gaming the system in silly ways, but many are just going to be people like me who heard about an awesome deal online and made a good-faith attempt to take advantage of it. When the manager asked me if I'd been to other B&Ns in the area, I gave some noncommittal "Oh, I think I've been to your store in the mall before..." answer, and the clerk just starting smirking into his register. He might as well have waved a sign saying "I THINK YOU ARE A LIAR." Yeah, keep laughing there, $8.50-an-hour.

Long story short: don't try it at the downtown Seattle store.
wow, well that explains why they're working there. Don't have the intelligence to get out of a crappy retail job. I hate douchebags like that. I'm so thankful that the music staff at my location are AWESOME and very helpful
Old 11-06-10, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm tempted to fly to Seattle with a stack of coupons just so I can have some fun with the people in that store.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.