DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

November Criterion Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-10, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: November Criterion Sale

Originally Posted by jwstl
I am region free. I did not know about these version. Thanks. I'll check out Amazon UK.
The transfers are almost identical, but the BFI discs include many more extras, including commentaries and Dreyer shorts, though you'll have to buy Master of the House (an excellent silent Dreyer film) to get the full-length documentary included in the Criterion set. Here are the DVD Beaver comparisons:

Day of Wrath
Ordet
Gertrud
Old 11-04-10, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by movieman35
So tonight, I went in to use my coupon for the 7th time and got shot down saying that it needs to be $20 before the member discount. Since it was $18 after discount I could not use it. It just happened to be the same girl that let me use one yesterday and was hassled then too. To bad because Tuesday night a guy let me use 3 with separate transactions.

Oh well, tomorrow I'll go get Che and let them come up with a reason I can't get that one even though it meets all their criteria for the coupon.
So today I went in and was told I am no longer allowed to use ANY coupons for this sale period. Not even the $5 of $50 coupon which I have not used yet even though it says one use per member. Their reasoning is that since I used the $5 of $20 DVD several times that I already got a good deal and it just "added up" and can't use anymore period.

Should I call CS and see what they have to say or just let it go?

I am actually thinking they won't let me use the new 15% off coupon either

Last edited by movieman35; 11-04-10 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-04-10, 06:11 PM

Are the B&M stores owned by Corporate? This reminds me of when Corporate gives out a bunch of coupons for Quiznos and the local franchise store owner loses a bunch of money on the deal.
Old 11-04-10, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got two more BD's and used two $5 coupons with no problems:

Breathless $13
Darjeeling Limited $13
Old 11-04-10, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't you have another B&N nearby? If not, just go back when different clerks/managers are on duty.

I've already exhausted my goodwill with a few clerks this sale, so I just avoid going when they are working.
Old 11-04-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since I was near a B&N store today I dropped in to get a few more Criterions with the $5 coupons. Picked up Charade and Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence on blu-ray. I was at the same store yesterday and again had no problems with the coupons. Not much else I want until the November 16 releases.
Old 11-04-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I've already exhausted my goodwill with a few clerks this sale, so I just avoid going when they are working.
What do you do - walk in, recognize the clerk, then immediately spin around and walk out, while trying to act casual about it?

I'm not being sarcastic, by the way. There are a couple of cashiers I'd like to avoid as well! The problem is that, as with all retail jobs, employee hours are different from day to day.
Old 11-04-10, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by durden269
Don't try it at the downtown Seattle store. I went in with the coupon and was immediately denied, claiming all of the previously mentioned reasons. However, this guy also decided to call member services and try to verify my account. Took a while, then said he had to call a different number long distance and went to the back.
Ha! I had this junior detective pull the same crap at that store yesterday. (I made the mistake of bringing in a coupon that didn't match my membership date, which has been working at every other B&N in town.) Finally, when I asked if I could have my coupon back ("so my wife could use it") he agreed reluctantly...after circling the offending fine print and writing some obscure numeric code. So he could catch me next time, I guess!

I printed off a new coupon today that DOES match my membership, so I can go back, look this jerk in the eye and tell him to ring me up. Good to know his manager will provide satisfaction if he doesn't.
Old 11-04-10, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Don't you have another B&N nearby? If not, just go back when different clerks/managers are on duty.

Only B&N within 50 mi.

Also, the guy who told me has only taken 2 coupons but told me that since I used 2 with him and few the other day with someone else, blah blah blah.

In other words, I think word got around to everyone to not let me use coupons.

It also doesn't help that it seems like I am the only person purchasing any Criterions at all.

I would not be surprised if they had a picture of me behind the counter with a big
Do not Accept Coupons From This Man.

Overall, the biggest issue I had was he acted like I caused him some great injustice and he treated me like an asshole.

I don't know, maybe I'll just order the rest online.
Old 11-04-10, 07:39 PM

It is common for retail sales people to think you are somehow trying to cheat when you use a coupon. This attitude on the part of B & N employees can be expected. But, how about what B & N is doing to its membership paying customers like the readers of this forum? They don't even send the coupons to us if you are a regular customer! It is difficult to have sympathy for the employee's attitude on coupon usage, when B & N has none for it's regular customers.
Old 11-04-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In case anyone is planning on buying "Repulsion" or "Bottle Rocket" on DVD, I'll sell you my like-new, watched-once copies for $12.50 shipped, if you're interested. I really want to upgrade them to Blu-ray, but I feel like I need to sell the DVDs first. Just PM me. I'm a Gold Trader.
Old 11-04-10, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by g
I asked for multiple transactions and it was an unmovable no. Hence the need for Yoda's help in this matter.
if it was more than 2 or maybe 3, then you were too greedy. did you go up with 8 blu rays and a stack of coupons?
Old 11-04-10, 08:50 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I went up with three and they acted like it was a favor to do one for me.
Old 11-04-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
I'm contemplating picking up another Eclipse Set (although mine has a rather limited selection). Anyone have suggestions? The only Eclipse I have is Bergman...and I love it.

To give a better idea of what my "likes" are: I like everything Bergman has made (except for, maybe, Cries and Whispers), Godard (pretty much everything he has made); Kurosawa (Like: Ikiru, Rashomon, Seven Samurai...Dislike/Indifferent about: Yojimbo/Sanjuro and Kagemusha (I know, I know)). Other titles I like: 8 1/2, Nights of Cabiria, La Dolce Vita, La Strada, Double Life of Veronique, Ballad of a Soldier, Cranes are Flying, Wages of Fear, Hirsohima Mon Amour...there are plenty more, but that might give an idea of the types of films I like.
The Oshima's Outlaw Sixties set is incredible. As is Nikkatsu Noir....and absolutely get the Larisa Shepitko set - it's only 2 films and $29.95 MSRP - if you liked Ballad and Cranes, that's a no brainer.
Old 11-04-10, 09:02 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts

Absolutely don't call. You already got to use the coupon multiple times, right? Technically, most of us don't even qualify to use it once, and those of us who should use it, are only supposed to use it once. Count your blessings and buy the rest online with the library link, also technically not for us probably.
Old 11-04-10, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So today I went in and was told I am no longer allowed to use ANY coupons for this sale period. Not even the $5 of $50 coupon which I have not used yet even though it says one use per member. Their reasoning is that since I used the $5 of $20 DVD several times that I already got a good deal and it just "added up" and can't use anymore period.

I am actually thinking they won't let me use the new 15% off coupon either
so you used 7 coupons at the same store in 3 days and wonder why they shut you down? you know the sale lasts 3 weeks right?

I seriously don't understand the people complaining about this or expecting something different when you are abusing them. Their attitudes are a direct result of people coming in with fistfuls of coupons and trying to use them one items that are already 50% off...
Old 11-04-10, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Absolutely don't call. You already got to use the coupon multiple times, right? Technically, most of us don't even qualify to use it once, and those of us who should use it, are only supposed to use it once. Count your blessings and buy the rest online with the library link, also technically not for us probably.
I had already decided not to call, but just the fact they won't even let me use ANY coupons, even ones I have never used just urks me.

They won't even let me use the 15% one that just came out today.

Just a bunch of Coupon Nazis
Old 11-04-10, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by brizz
so you used 7 coupons at the same store in 3 days and wonder why they shut you down? you know the sale lasts 3 weeks right?

I seriously don't understand the people complaining about this or expecting something different when you are abusing them. Their attitudes are a direct result of people coming in with fistfuls of coupons and trying to use them one items that are already 50% off...
Actually, it was 6. In my defense, I am a Criterion addict and have no patience.

It also doesn't help I am the only one buying them.

Oh well, after I get Antichrist, Modern Times, and Night of the Hunter I can wait till July. If B&N is still in business that is.
Old 11-04-10, 09:29 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Actually, it was 6. In my defense, I am a Criterion addict and have no patience.

It also doesn't help I am the only one buying them.

Oh well, after I get Antichrist, Modern Times, and Night of the Hunter I can wait till July. If B&N is still in business that is.
lol, I know about the only one buying them. The manager at mine said I LITERALLY am the only one buying them. I've been in 3 times already, picked up 9 titles with the $5 off coupon. He has no problem with me doing 3-4 in one transaction or one at a time. He even told the other cashiers to "take care of me" (he's a huge criterion fan himself, we talked about titles for about 20 minutes on the first day of the sale)
Old 11-04-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
Bergman is my favorite director and all of the films included are strong and I would highly recommend them. I think $40 is a good price (if you don't use a coupon)...I'm sure I paid more.
Thanks. Ended up having dinner near a B&N I don't frequent so I stopped in to take a look at their Criterion selection. They had the Bergman trilogy and I had the 15% off coupon. So I bought it. They also had the Cassavetes collection. Now I have to decide if I'm going back to get it.
Old 11-04-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

and absolutely get the Larisa Shepitko set - it's only 2 films and $29.95 MSRP - if you liked Ballad and Cranes, that's a no brainer.
Forgot about that one, I'll have to add it to my list. I liked Ascent when I saw it a couple of years back. At around $10 after coupon, that's a pretty good deal.
Old 11-05-10, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl
Those coupons are also nice to have when buying a box set and another Criterion so you can use multiple coupons in one transaction. You can use the 15% off and the $5 off together. And if you can get the total over $50 you can use the $5 off $50.
Hmm, I guess great minds think alike (or something to that effect).
This afternoon I'd purchased The Human Condition and Oshima's Outlaw Sixties.
HC $79.99 list, after all discounts (and prorated $5/$50) = $27.91
OOS $69.99 list, same as above = $24.17
Sales tax not shown.
Now to give them some rest.
Old 11-05-10, 01:25 AM

The Oshima's Outlaw Sixties set is incredible. As is Nikkatsu Noir....and absolutely get the Larisa Shepitko set - it's only 2 films and $29.95 MSRP - if you liked Ballad and Cranes, that's a no brainer.
I read up on the Larisa Shepitko set and that looks like a good one to get. I checked stores in my area (and some other areas) and it doesn't look like it is stocked at many stores. That said, there isn't going to be a major difference in-store versus online with a set that is below $20 (after 50%, of course).

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into the other sets you recommended as well.
Old 11-05-10, 02:17 AM
Cool New Member

Hmm, I guess great minds think alike (or something to that effect).
This afternoon I'd purchased The Human Condition and Oshima's Outlaw Sixties.
HC $79.99 list, after all discounts (and prorated $5/$50) = $27.91
OOS $69.99 list, same as above = $24.17
Sales tax not shown.
Now to give them some rest.
I just purchased the same 2 sets on thurs as well
Old 11-05-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

I had already decided not to call, but just the fact they won't even let me use ANY coupons, even ones I have never used just urks me.

They won't even let me use the 15% one that just came out today.

Just a bunch of Coupon Nazis
The irony on all of this coupon usage is hilarious. You're urked that they won't honor the exact terms of the other coupons even though you knowingly violated the terms of the coupons you did use. Surely you see how absurd that is don't you?

Honestly, this type of consumerism where the customer tries to game the promotion, gets exposed and shut down, and still feels an incredibly misplaced sense of entitlement is what makes retailers pull their hair out and never want to do any kind of promotion or sale again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.