Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

November Criterion Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-10, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: November Criterion Sale

Don't try it at the downtown Seattle store. I went in with the coupon and was immediately denied, claiming all of the previously mentioned reasons. However, this guy also decided to call member services and try to verify my account. Took a while, then said he had to call a different number long distance and went to the back. Another guy comes out, puts a stack of papers on the register, snd pretends to straighten up DVDs out on the floor, staring at me the whole time. It's just me and him in the department for five solid minutes, so I decide if he's just going to stare at me and not say anything, I'll see what happens if I touch those papers. It's all photocopies of coupons with member numbers handwritten on them. This finally gets his attention, and I ask him what's going on. He pretends like he doesn't know. I ask if Rico, the original clerk, was planning on coming back out. He says he doesn't know what I'm talking about. I tell him I'm not going to wait any longer, so I act like I'm leaving and watch the department. He gets on the walkie and Rico comes back out and they laugh. I walked over to customer service, asked for the MOD, and tell him that I don't appreciate being treated like a criminal trying to use a coupon with a $25 membership. He walked over with me to the department and rang the coupon through with both of those guys staring, dumbfounded.
Old 11-04-10, 04:11 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by durden269
Don't try it at the downtown Seattle store. I went in with the coupon and was immediately denied, claiming all of the previously mentioned reasons. However, this guy also decided to call member services and try to verify my account. Took a while, then said he had to call a different number long distance and went to the back. Another guy comes out, puts a stack of papers on the register, snd pretends to straighten up DVDs out on the floor, staring at me the whole time. It's just me and him in the department for five solid minutes, so I decide if he's just going to stare at me and not say anything, I'll see what happens if I touch those papers. It's all photocopies of coupons with member numbers handwritten on them. This finally gets his attention, and I ask him what's going on. He pretends like he doesn't know. I ask if Rico, the original clerk, was planning on coming back out. He says he doesn't know what I'm talking about. I tell him I'm not going to wait any longer, so I act like I'm leaving and watch the department. He gets on the walkie and Rico comes back out and they laugh. I walked over to customer service, asked for the MOD, and tell him that I don't appreciate being treated like a criminal trying to use a coupon with a $25 membership. He walked over with me to the department and rang the coupon through with both of those guys staring, dumbfounded.
wow, talk about dipshits. I hate power hungry dopes like that. get over it. if it scans it scans. These guys get paid no more than $9.50 /hr. I'm surprised they have enough caring to even look at them. lol
Old 11-04-10, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a $150 budget I'm sticking to this time around, that is more than enough for what I want.
Old 11-04-10, 09:59 AM
Duplicate accounts are verboten

..wow, those guys sounded like real assholes..you have my sympathy..
Old 11-04-10, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My god, that's one of the worst stories I've read here. I hope he let those guys have it after you were gone.
Old 11-04-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by g
I asked for multiple transactions and it was an unmovable no. Hence the need for Yoda's help in this matter.
To me this is just dumb.. Why make the customer make multiple trips.. I can understand if you wanted to use 2 coupons on the same item. Isn't the point of a "sale" to get people in the doors and thus walking out with merchandise?
Old 11-04-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
To me this is just dumb.. Why make the customer make multiple trips.. I can understand if you wanted to use 2 coupons on the same item. Isn't the point of a "sale" to get people in the doors and thus walking out with merchandise?
I think you're missing the point. The coupon clearly states that it is one use per member (not per DVD and not per transaction). The point of the 50% off sale is to get people in the doors and walking out with merchandise. The point of the coupon is to entice non-members to sign up for a membership.
Old 11-04-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's not dumb at all. As has been mentioned here multiple times, these coupons are supposed to be a one time use. If you get to use them multiple times, even as separate transactions, consider yourself lucky.
Old 11-04-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those having problems with the $5 coupons there are some other store coupons available in the B&N coupon thread that should work with this sale. I added a new 15% (members) and 10% store coupon yesterday to the list. Actually the 15% coupon is probably a better choice if you are buying Criterion box sets over $30.
Old 11-04-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I think you're missing the point. The coupon clearly states that it is one use per member (not per DVD and not per transaction). The point of the 50% off sale is to get people in the doors and walking out with merchandise. The point of the coupon is to entice non-members to sign up for a membership.
Ok. I must have misunderstood. I thought it was once an item.

I am not a member and will never be a member. $25 a year for a place I shop twice a year isn't worth it. But the 50% off Criterions are why I do shop there twice the year. (online only) Can't recall the last time i've stepped foot into one of their stores. Maybe 5 years or so.
Old 11-04-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes to the above suggestion to use a 15% off coupon for boxes with an original MSRP of $79.99 especially.
$79.99 - 50%= $40.00, - 10% member = $36.00, - 15% coupon (-$5.40) = $30.60 before any tax.
Slightly not as good with $60 boxes (30 - 3 -15% [$4.05] = $22.95) if my math is right.
Old 11-04-10, 12:10 PM

There's my excuse to pick up the War Trilogy.
Old 11-04-10, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
Yes to the above suggestion to use a 15% off coupon for boxes with an original MSRP of $79.99 especially.
$79.99 - 50%= $40.00, - 10% member = $36.00, - 15% coupon (-$5.40) = $30.60 before any tax.
Slightly not as good with $60 boxes (30 - 3 -15% [$4.05] = $22.95) if my math is right.
Those coupons are also nice to have when buying a box set and another Criterion so you can use multiple coupons in one transaction. You can use the 15% off and the $5 off together. And if you can get the total over $50 you can use the $5 off $50.
Old 11-04-10, 12:21 PM

I'm contemplating picking up another Eclipse Set (although mine has a rather limited selection). Anyone have suggestions? The only Eclipse I have is Bergman...and I love it.

To give a better idea of what my "likes" are: I like everything Bergman has made (except for, maybe, Cries and Whispers), Godard (pretty much everything he has made); Kurosawa (Like: Ikiru, Rashomon, Seven Samurai...Dislike/Indifferent about: Yojimbo/Sanjuro and Kagemusha (I know, I know)). Other titles I like: 8 1/2, Nights of Cabiria, La Dolce Vita, La Strada, Double Life of Veronique, Ballad of a Soldier, Cranes are Flying, Wages of Fear, Hirsohima Mon Amour...there are plenty more, but that might give an idea of the types of films I like.
Old 11-04-10, 12:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Anyone else still waiting for shipping confirmation on their online orders, after the estimated ship date?
Old 11-04-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
I'm contemplating picking up another Eclipse Set (although mine has a rather limited selection). Anyone have suggestions? The only Eclipse I have is Bergman...and I love it.
Since you like Kurosawa, you could look into his two Eclipse sets. If you like Jim Jarmusch, the Kaurismaki set would be worth checking out. Fuller is recommended for fans of tough B-movies.
Old 11-04-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
I'm contemplating picking up another Eclipse Set (although mine has a rather limited selection). Anyone have suggestions?
I don't have any of the Eclipse sets but I'm considering:

The First Films of Samuel Fuller
Postwar Kurosawa

as well as these non-Eclipse Criterion sets:

John Cassavetes: Five Films
Carl Theodore Dreyer Collection
Bergman Trilogy

As much as I would like to own all of them, I don't think spending that much right now is wise.

I did purchase the set 3 Silent Classics by Josef Von Sternberg and am looking forward to viewing it.
Old 11-04-10, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by jwstl
Those coupons are also nice to have when buying a box set and another Criterion so you can use multiple coupons in one transaction. You can use the 15% off and the $5 off together. And if you can get the total over $50 you can use the $5 off $50.
According to the fine print on the 15% off coupon, it "may not be combined with any other coupon", so I think trying to use it along with one of the $5 Off coupons won't work if the clerk reads the fine print (which more and more of them are doing now).

Last edited by bobertkay99; 11-04-10 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-04-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bobertkay99
According to the fine print on 15% off coupon, it "may not be combined with any other coupon", so I think trying to use it along with one of the $5 Off coupons won't work if the clerk reads the fine print (which more and more of them are now doing).
I believe that means using 2 coupons on one item and I didn't suggest trying that. I used an in-store 10% off and a $5 off coupon successfully this week and I had no trouble because it was 2 items, one coupon for each.
Old 11-04-10, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Ok. I must have misunderstood. I thought it was once an item.
Don't worry, you're not alone. The terms are stated clearly on the coupon, but obviously have not been enforced with any consistency. Both B&N and all the consumers taking advantage of this play a part in the confusion.
Old 11-04-10, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Since you like Kurosawa, you could look into his two Eclipse sets. If you like Jim Jarmusch, the Kaurismaki set would be worth checking out. Fuller is recommended for fans of tough B-movies.
I still need both Kurosawa Eclipse sets. Argh.
Old 11-04-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're region-free, the BFI editions of the Dreyer films are superior.
Old 11-04-10, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you're region-free, the BFI editions of the Dreyer films are superior.
I am region free. I did not know about these version. Thanks. I'll check out Amazon UK.
Old 11-04-10, 04:33 PM

Those are the first ones (Kurosawa) that I thought of. The problem is that I have no interest in watching Yojimbo, Sanjuro or Kagemusha again, but I love Ikiru, Seven Samurai and Rashomon and revisit them regularly.
Old 11-04-10, 04:36 PM

as well as these non-Eclipse Criterion sets:

John Cassavetes: Five Films
Bergman Trilogy
Bergman is my favorite director and all of the films included are strong and I would highly recommend them. I think $40 is a good price (if you don't use a coupon)...I'm sure I paid more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.