Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

November Criterion Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-10, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: November Criterion Sale

my 2nd favorite guy was in the Oak Park Mall location in KC area today. boring football so I went up and took in a $5 and a 15%er since it's only good till tomorrow and the sets I want are all OOS. I browsed for a while, there were two cute 18ish girls in the criterion section that I chatted with as they recommended movies and i did the same to them and told them how awesome I thought it was that they loved Criterion already and they had so much more to enjoy...wish I had discovered it that young, etc. Ended up grabbing Gimme Shelter blu and Fires on the Plain - two i've wanted for a while. Just handed him the two coupons on top of the two discs and he worked his magic....didn't have to even ask and he took the $5 off Fires and the 15% off the blu for $25 and change total

I'm almost starting to wish they would tell me no at some point....it just keeps enticing me back for more I can't afford!
Old 11-06-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

oh, even funnier was I went into a different store and the only guy working in the DVD section was at least 80 years old. In fact, I am CONVINCED he is the old guy in the episode of seinfeld that Jerry gets assigned to when they all do the "work with old people" program (Goiter for Elaine, records Kramer wants, George gets the Caribbean maid to rub oil on his bald head, etc). He looked EXACTLY like the old bugger and moved about as slow as a giant tortoise. it was almost painful to watch him try to look things up.

I simply went up with one blu and a $5 coupon as I knew anything more would probably kill him. He stared at it a bit and mumbled a lot and tried to scan it 12 times. then he said he didn't think it would work because my member discount dropped it to $18. I said "well the coupon says price before discounts" and he just said "oh....okay" - and spent a few more minutes randomly touching the screen. eventually he got it to work and seemed very proud. he was very very nice, but eesh. I can't believe the let the old guy alone in there. I actually went out to books after initially talking to him hoping someone would relieve him, but gave up after 15-20 minutes.

here's the old man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC2CM...eature=related
Old 11-06-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brizz
I browsed for a while, there were two cute 18ish girls in the criterion section that I chatted with as they recommended movies and i did the same to them and told them how awesome I thought it was that they loved Criterion already and they had so much more to enjoy...wish I had discovered it that young, etc.
Did you recommend In the Realm of the Senses?
Old 11-06-10, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the only one of the original blus in those shitty digis to be in the new plastic cases at retail spots is Bottle Rocket. the rest have not yet burned through the original production. I think it's kind of a catch-22 as well, since a lot of people now are simply waiting for the next pressing to get them in the new case at the outset. may be a long wait for Chunking Express, Last Metro, and el Norte though.
Old 11-06-10, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Did you recommend In the Realm of the Senses?
No....I did get them to buy Kapo though. They were also getting Breathless and Charade - but not on blu-ray...in fact I pointed out they were holding a Charade blu and they thanked me. I told them they should just buy the blu-rays now and ask for a player for xmas..especially for those two titles! I think one of them was also buying If... - and they mentioned one had bought the other Lost Honor of Katharina Blum for her birthday last month and paid full price. So they clearly had decent taste...and cute, but that awesome nerdy kind of cute that just screams "I may wear barrettes and weird glasses, but I have a great rack!"

Sadly i'm old enough to be their father so I was not lecherous about it...I just loved the fact that two young ladies loved great movies....usually it's just me and maybe some old guy there buying them.

eta: I can't believe i forgot this - what I originally over heard that made me turn around was "do you think this will gross me out too much?" and seeing she was holding Salo...which she also bought. Definitely not anything like any girls I knew at 19!

Last edited by HistoryProf; 11-06-10 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-06-10, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Well, B&N has cancelled another one of my items, despite the fact that it is still available. I sent an email yesterday, asking why my items had not shipped and I got a response saying they'd ship ASAP... then they cancelled another item and haven't shipped anything. What the hell?
Got my second cancellation today as well. Antichrist and Gimmee Shelter have both been cancelled
Old 11-06-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Laser, what combination of coupons did you use on America Lost And Found? That's an awesome price.
Old 11-06-10, 10:49 PM

I signed up for the free two month membership 2 days ago and I printed out multiple $5 coupons so I could try my luck at my local B&N in NY. I went today just figuring I would try to pick up 1 or 2 titles. To my surprise when I asked the clerk if I could use multiple coupons he said no problem.

I was able to purchase the following (all on blu ray) for $13 each plus tax

Paths of Glory
Black Orpheus
Ride with Devil
The Darjeeling Limited
Bigger Than Life
Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence
Wings of Desire
The Magican
Paris Texas

Hopefully he'll be there the next time I go.
Old 11-06-10, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kory
Laser, what combination of coupons did you use on America Lost And Found? That's an awesome price.
Actually going over the receipt trying to make sense of the transaction it didn't go as it should but I'm not complaining. Originally I purchased three titles using three $5 coupons and the 15% coupon with the cashier adjusting the price of America Lost And Found to 50% off. Apparently she adjusted the price off the online price of $92 and not the list price of $125. Here is a copy of the receipt below of how it looked. I calculated it should have been almost $50 for a ship to home order if everything was correctly applied with all discounts and coupons. If I did a store pick up I estimate it would have cost about $45 since I could have got the 10% member discount deducted. I also get 5% cashback with my B&N card that is not reflected in the total.

Here is more or less how it should have looked with either store pick up, or ship to home without the $5/$50 coupon. With the coupon subtract $3.20 from the total.

Store pickup
Criterion Collection: America Lost & Found
(1 @ $124.99) Promo New Price
(1 @ $62.50) Member Card 10% ($6.25)
(1 @ $56.25) MBR item cpn 15% ($8.44)
(1 @ $47.81) $47.81

Order subtotal $47.81

Ship to home
Criterion Collection: America Lost & Found
(1 @ $124.99) Promo New Price
(1 @ $62.50) MBR item cpn 15% ($9.37)
(1 @ $53.13)
Shipping fee
(1 @ $0.00) $0.00
Free Shipping Eligible
Order subtotal $53.13

Last edited by Laser Movies; 11-07-10 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-07-10, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice deal for LM. Sweet price but I can't figure out the $3.20 MBR Tran cpn. What was that?
Old 11-07-10, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The $3.20 is part of a $5 off $50 coupon that was applied to the purchase. The remaining $1.20 was subtracted off the other two DVDs I bought. They were $12.10 each with the other $5 coupons and the remaining $1.20. For some reason the 15% coupon didn't get applied to the purchase or I could have saved over $6 more! Since the store was nice enough to allow me to get America Lost And Found I let it go, and really didn't deserve any additional discounts. I thought the price was more than fair already.
Old 11-07-10, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In-store purchase, with $5 off coupons and membership:

Seven Samurai (blu-ray) - $17.49
Kagemusha (blu-ray) - $12.99

No tax Oregon! Woo!
Old 11-07-10, 12:49 AM

In Bay Area, went to one store. Was able to use $5 coupon with membership to get Bottle Rocket. Went to another store and did two separate transactions with extra 15% each for The Darjeeling Limited and Paths of Glory. Wasn't able to double up all the discounts as one, and appreciated the effort from the salespeople. Didn't want to pressure anyone or piss them off. One person told me about the red flags associated with using the $5 off coupons for items less than $20.

I guess it's still a great deal compared to any other option, but I wish I could have gotten them all for $13 + tax.
Old 11-07-10, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm dying for the BBS set. I think tomorrow I might try and hit a couple stores and see if I can swing the 50% for a pre-order. I really, really hope so. The biggest disappointment for me with this sale is that it ends 2 days before this comes out. Still, I'm at 15 Blus so far, with a few more things to go. I really wish they'd hurry up and get The Thin Red Line Blu back in. I haven't seen that in store even once.
Old 11-07-10, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just received a cancellation email on my Antichrist which I ordered with 3 other Criterions which are scheduled to ship. (????)
Old 11-07-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Congratulations, LASERMOVIES! You scored what will no doubt be the buy of this sale.
And for all the work you've put into the coupon thread over the years, I can't think of anyone who deserves it more or who I would rather see get it. Enjoy!
Old 11-07-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another great experience. Older lady there, thought for sure I was doomed to one coupon or none, but I played dumb to start and she took all 4 with no hassle at all. Awesome, way to go, old lady . That's 2 for 2 for me on multi's this sale, and at 11 titles, I think I may be done, unless Che and/or Night of the Hunter make me their bitch.
Old 11-07-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Does this work on preorders? I want Cronos!
Old 11-07-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Does this work on preorders? I want Cronos!
Only if they're released during the sale period, though LM managed to score a BBS box. I asked at my store, and was shot down.
Old 11-07-10, 04:21 PM
Duplicate accounts are verboten

..just picked up "gomorrah" at the mira mesa store in san diego..had the $5.00 coupon which was blurry and you could'nt read the print at all just the barcode..the sales lady scanned it with no problem...is this a great country or what?
Old 11-07-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Blind bought Repulsion today for $13 and just got done watching it. Fantastic film.
Old 11-07-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Only if they're released during the sale period, though LM managed to score a BBS box. I asked at my store, and was shot down.
Damn, Cronos dont come out till 12/7
Old 11-07-10, 09:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Damn, Cronos dont come out till 12/7
I know ,,, I love Del Toro and this and The Devil's Backbone are the only 2 films of his I haven't seen.
Old 11-07-10, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Congratulations, LASERMOVIES! You scored what will no doubt be the buy of this sale.
And for all the work you've put into the coupon thread over the years, I can't think of anyone who deserves it more or who I would rather see get it. Enjoy!
Thanks! It's a shame B&N didn't start the sale a week later so America Lost & Found would be eligible for everyone. I'm really looking forward to getting it in a few weeks along with Modern Times and Night of the Hunter before the sale ends. I just hope that B&N doesn't cancel my order before it ships.
Old 11-07-10, 11:51 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Wow... B&N.com customer service is horrible!

First, I asked why my order had not been fulfilled. I said I found it strange that my "confirmed" items are getting cancelled, one at a time, in addition to the fact that I don't have the ability to cancel the orders myself (again, because they're confirmed, I can no longer remove items).

They wrote back and said the rest of my items would ship "as soon as possible."

I responded and said that didn't make sense, since another item was cancelled after I got that email.

They wrote back and said they were not allowed to give me any information about my order because:
1. I didn't give them my order number... even though I did! I used their email form and the response included my original message, where the order number is mentioned clear as day, and
2. I'm using a different email address to contact them... which I'm not. The email address I'm using is the exact same one they're sending their replies to.

I really don't want to call B&N (long distance, since the 1-800 number only works from the US), but I might have to, just so I can talk to another moron on the phone. At this point, I want to cancel my order to avoid waiting around for another week before they decide to finally ship the items they haven't already cancelled themselves.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.