DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   November Criterion Sale (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/580266-november-criterion-sale.html)

CalebAndCo 11-02-10 09:04 AM

Re: November Criterion Sale

Originally Posted by TheySentYou (Post 10466898)
true, but in my case, the clerk said the coupons were "bogus", further making me look like a crook with some photoshopped coupons trying to make a steal. he could've pulled his head out of his ass and came up with a better excuse, or maybe even just something to the extent of "sorry, it just doesn't comply with our system" (even funnier, is the fact that three Criterions i brought up wouldn't even ring up in the system, and made the same "deny" sound that my coupons made, lol).

Sweet irony! You should have accused them of trying to sell "bogus" DVDs! :lol:

asarg2001 11-02-10 09:44 AM

This question might be stupid. So the sale price is listed online, but when I search for store availability and click "pick-up" at any of my local stores, it lists the normal price of 39.99 for any of the blu-rays I've tried it with. Is this normal, or does it mean that my local stores aren't participating in the sale? I'd like to know if this happens with anyone else who knows for sure that their store IS participating.

Sweet Baby James 11-02-10 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by asarg2001 (Post 10467561)
This question might be stupid. So the sale price is listed online, but when I search for store availability and click "pick-up" at any of my local stores, it lists the normal price of 39.99 for any of the blu-rays I've tried it with. Is this normal, or does it mean that my local stores aren't participating in the sale? I'd like to know if this happens with anyone else who knows for sure that their store IS participating.

It will be on sale at all locations. When you receive the e-mail that tells you that your item is ready, the price listed in the e-mail is $20. Don't worry and welcome to the forum.:wave:

Undeadcow 11-02-10 10:19 AM

Got shot down on coupon because "it's from last year, someone just changed the date." Nevermind that it was printed using the link from B&N.com

Jfunk1 11-02-10 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 10467643)
Got shot down on coupon because "it's from last year, someone just changed the date." Nevermind that it was printed using the link from B&N.com

That really sucks. I'm sure you did nothing wrong here. It's unfortunate that you got singled out. I was shot down from using just one coupon as well during the last sale because clearly coupon abuse by so many others before me made the store clamp down for everyone. This is why during this sale, I am doing my part to use only one coupon per visit.

johnglad 11-02-10 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dining Dead (Post 10467408)
I was getting ready to buy a ton of Criterions and then a little voice started telling me how many were available for instant streaming on Netflix.

I used to never want Netflix and only wanted to buy movies because I didn't realize how good the Netflix selection was.

Now I really can't justify spending so much money on Criterions...or for that matter, any movies.

Bummer...and now I sound like a Netflix ad.

That is fine, and you definitely should not buy dvds you don't really need or want, BUT for many of us (myself completely) I have no interest in streaming criterion titles. Or Blu Ray titles. Netflix cannot even begin to compete with the setups some of us have (projectors, large screens, HD audio, etc.).

I'll take my sub-$20 criterion blu rays thank you very much. They even hold their value basically.

Bleddyn Williams 11-02-10 10:57 AM

I swung by the BN I bought two discs at yesterday. The same staff were on duty, and I was denied use of the coupon again. I was told the only reason I got to use it twice yesterday was because I was a good customer.

Last time, nobody minded (including the same manager as here) but they've probably been told to crack down on multiple use. YMMV more than ever!

TheySentYou 11-02-10 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 10467643)

was this from the Brodie Ln location? or the North Austin location near Round Rock???

Austin TX seems to be chopping down on us! while making us feel like criminals in the process lol

Florinaldo 11-02-10 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore (Post 10465751)
Totally.

Also, my options were:
Free shipping PLUS 8.5% tax to ship to Texas. OR
Paid shipping PLUS 5% tax to Alberta.

With either option, I risk getting dinged by customs, too. Had I shipped to TX and brought them home with me (I'm going to TX on the 12th for a week), I could get dinged if I was randomly searched. Having B&N ship them to Canada, that risk is still there, but less likely if the order gets split up into multiples when they finally ship, which is entirely possible.

Oh, the perils of being a Canadian. :)

Actually, aren't B&N orders shipped from Canada? That's what happened on each of my most recent orders, so the parcels escaped all Customs inspection. They use an agent in Canada to do so, which probably accounts in part for the shipping charges (which aren't that high per title when spread over several titles). And it does take a little more time for the items to ship, since they must make their way first to the shipping agent's facility (there is at times up to a week between the e-mail shipping confirmation and the actual Canada Post mailing date).

You do have to do the math and figure out precisely if ordering from these B&N 50% sales is actually more advantageous than the prices available in Canada ; sometimes prices asked on Amazon.ca's Marketplace component turn out to actually be better.

kefrank 11-02-10 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 10467020)
Is your point that forum expectations surrounding the B&N Criterion sale are irrational? If so I completely agree. My name is Undeadcow and I am a DVD junkie.

Ha! Point well taken.

I actually find it really amusing that B&N appears to be "cracking down" on coupon usage with many non-sensical denial reasons. I guess turnabout is fair play, but really, one would think all of this could be easily alleviated in their software.

macnorton 11-02-10 01:14 PM

A Christmas Tale looks to be part of the sale now. Although no copies in store that I have seen in my area. I went ahead and ordered on line and got it for $18.18.

Additionally, I have three stores near me (one about 8 blocks from my office and one about a block from my house, and one about 8 miles away) so I have been going in to each one daily with a coupon. One clerk pointed out that if I do this, I should have no issue. So far I am three for three. Again YMMV on that scenario as well.

Sweet Baby James 11-02-10 01:34 PM

I was able to score two Blus at two different locations(4 in total). I used the November and January coupons without incident. The cashiers at both locations were friendly and probably would have taken more, but you just never know when you might raise a flag. My haul-

House
Seven Samurai
Magician
Breathless

I'll grab Modern Times and Night of the Hunter in two weeks.

Dan 11-02-10 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Florinaldo (Post 10467968)
Actually, aren't B&N orders shipped from Canada? That's what happened on each of my most recent orders, so the parcels escaped all Customs inspection. They use an agent in Canada to do so, which probably accounts in part for the shipping charges (which aren't that high per title when spread over several titles). And it does take a little more time for the items to ship, since they must make their way first to the shipping agent's facility (there is at times up to a week between the e-mail shipping confirmation and the actual Canada Post mailing date).

I think you're right. In fact, since B&N has a registered GST #, and charges GST on Canadian orders, that should cover the duty, which totally makes sense.

edit: I never got dinged on my previous deliveries, but I assumed it was because they were all so small.
:banana:

Undeadcow 11-02-10 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by TheySentYou (Post 10467958)
was this from the Brodie Ln location? or the North Austin location near Round Rock???

Austin TX seems to be chopping down on us! while making us feel like criminals in the process lol

This was at Westlake, I hung out in the cafe afterwards and heard the clerks talking about how wide spread the coupon fraud was and how the same guy had already hit multiple stores (specifically mentioning Sunset Valley). This was my first attempt at coupon use. Last year I know they sent out an Austin-area bulletin about coupon fraud.

I am considering calling and demanding to talk to a manager. I know it's a losing battle but wondered what would happen if I argued the case a bit (because I really think the coupons are legitimate for at least one-time use) and I seem to be in the mood for petty battles.

wormraper 11-02-10 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 10468176)
This was at Westlake, I hung out in the cafe afterwards and heard the clerks talking about how wide spread the coupon fraud was and how the same guy had already hit multiple stores (specifically mentioning Sunset Valley). This was my first attempt at coupon use. Last year I know they sent out an Austin-area bulletin about coupon fraud.

I am considering calling and demanding to talk to a manager. I know it's a losing battle but wondered what would happen if I argued the case a bit (because I really think the coupons are legitimate for at least one-time use) and I seem to be in the mood for petty battles.

wow, must be your management then. the manager for my B&N movie department checked me out and said I could use as many as I wanted. Said this coupon always comes out is used heavily during the Criterion sale.

bse 11-02-10 02:25 PM

I think all complaining to a manager or higher will do is push an all around ban on the coupons next round, its better to use them if you can, if you can't, it sucks, but oh well. (I can't here)

Jfunk1 11-02-10 02:37 PM

^ What will also push an all around ban on coupons next round is people using more than one coupon per transaction. This sale goes on for 3 weeks.

macnorton 11-02-10 03:18 PM

A little finesse sometimes can go a long way. I have noticed, at least at the two stores I frequent, these people get abused by people looking to over-use coupons. I tell them if they I can use them great, if not no biggie. All of them will try to make it work.

But I think complaining may stop it all together. But who knows.

Undeadcow 11-02-10 03:35 PM

I'm concerned there is already an informal coupon ban in the Austin, TX area but guess I will delay debating with store managers for now and take my petty frustrations out on something else instead.

BuckNaked2k 11-02-10 03:36 PM

It's ridiculous that people are getting denied even one use. I understand that anything beyond one coupon per membership is "icing on the cake", but every member has a right to use one $5 coupon on one $20 item.

Spunkymonkey 11-02-10 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 10468460)
I'm concerned there is already an informal coupon ban in the Austin, TX area but guess I will delay debating with store managers for now and take my petty frustrations out on something else instead.

Call up the Barnes and Noble customer service line and report it. That is BS. If you are a member you should at least be allowed one use. An egomaniac store manager cannot make up rules for his store when the corporate policies state other wise. I'd bitch.

Sessa17 11-02-10 03:49 PM

Had no problem today using 4 $5 coupons on one transaction. Lady was very nice about, posted my haul in the Blu-Ray thread.

kefrank 11-02-10 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k (Post 10468461)
It's ridiculous that people are getting denied even one use. I understand that anything beyond one coupon per membership is "icing on the cake", but every member has a right to use one $5 coupon on one $20 item.

Not according to the coupon terms. It's only members who purchased their membership between the dates specified on the coupon. The coupons are intended to be "new member" coupons, not "all member" coupons, though that's only specified in the fine print.

BuckNaked2k 11-02-10 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank (Post 10468520)
Not according to the coupon terms. It's only members who purchased their membership between the dates specified on the coupon. The coupons are intended to be "new member" coupons, not "all member" coupons, though that's only specified in the fine print.

That's true, the coupons do specify certain broad dates for purchase/renewal, but of all the BS excuses reported here, that is the ONE excuse which has never been cited!

Spunkymonkey 11-02-10 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank (Post 10468520)

You are definitely right. However, what the hell is the purpose of paying for their membership if their are these types of restrictions on coupons? Just so you can get 10% off year-round? Pffff, I'd rather take my business to Amazon.