Meijer TV on DVD for $6.00

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 09-09-10, 04:51 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you guys have a Meijer in your area, they are currently selling some TV titles for $6.00

I purchased:

The Addams Family The Complete First Volume
The Addams Family The Complete Second Volume
The Addams Family The Complete Third Volume

They also had The 3 Volumes of the original Outer Limits and about 7-8 other sets that I can not remember.
Old 09-10-10, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Meijer TV on DVD for $6.00

I'm doing some grocery shopping this morning, so I'll check out the DVD section.

The only bad thing is that the one I go to most often, the TV on DVD section has really shrunk in size. So they may or may not have any of these, but I'll check.
Old 09-10-10, 12:00 PM
Cool New Member

Mine was out of Addams Family but had Newhart, Green Acres, Outer Limits, Fame, Dark Shadows Revival, Flipper and Remington Steele off the top of my head. I got S3 of GA and S1 of Fame.
Old 09-10-10, 04:25 PM

which outer limits series? The classic 60's or the 90's version?
Old 09-10-10, 10:10 PM
Zbu

And these should be the slimline versions. I saw them at my local stores, but they were selling for $25 or something. Good grief. Did anybody see any other seasons of Remington Steele besides the first one?
Old 09-11-10, 12:09 AM

At our local Meijer's, the Addams releases were all priced at $24.99. I did a price scan and they all rang up at 6 bucks each.

Some Meijer's store also carry a number of the Legend/Paramount releases from a couple years ago. I've recently purchased "Houdini" (Tony Curtis), "Money From Home" (Martin & Lewis), "King of the Gypsies" and "Villa Rides" (Robert Mitchum) for $3.99 each.
Old 09-11-10, 02:45 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by cesidio
which outer limits series? The classic 60's or the 90's version?
The original 60's one.
Old 09-11-10, 02:45 PM

Sorry, I didn't post yesterday.

Well, just as I expected, the Meijer I usually go to had none of these. And Cabbage is right about the Legend/Paramount titles. This same store used to carry those too, about a year or so ago. Even that section has shrunk in size and now it's mostly public domain titles for $4.99 each. Some of which pops up in the Walmart bargain bin from time to time, like those 4 movie collection about Action, Science-Fiction or Disaster type of films.

There is another Meijer on the other side of town, but I don't have any plans of going there anytime soon. So this does look like a YMMV type of situation.
Old 09-11-10, 11:25 PM

Add season one of The Big Valley to the list. All the sets I saw were still tagged at retail but rang up at $6.
Old 09-12-10, 01:03 AM
Zbu

Yeah, it's a hidden sale. The ones I saw:

All three seasons of Addams Family and Green Acres (all slimcases except Green Acres S3)
Flipper Season 1
Remington Steele Season 1
Outer Limits (1960s) Volumes 1 and 2 (pretty much the first season)
Fame Seasons 1 and 2

A ton of MGM stuff is being clearanced. Grab it while you have the chance.
Old 09-12-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Zbu
And these should be the slimline versions. I saw them at my local stores, but they were selling for $25 or something. Good grief. Did anybody see any other seasons of Remington Steele besides the first one?
No, Season One looks to be only one out there.

The only other MGM/FOX TV title I saw (between the three stores I checked) that hasn't been mentioned was Voyage to The Bottom of The Sea: Season One, Volume One.
Old 09-12-10, 10:24 AM
Zbu

VTTBOTS was included? I'll be damned. I would have done a more through search but I found this out around 2am this morning, so I wasn't in the right state to deal with Meijer search checkers. Still rad, however.
Old 09-12-10, 01:30 PM

Outer Limits was a similar show to Twilight Zone right? Was is any good?
Old 09-12-10, 04:30 PM
Zbu

Definitely worth it.

Oh, and I think the Bob Newhart Show S1/2 and Newhart S1 are included in the sale.
Old 09-13-10, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just picked up the Outer Limits sets and can confirm the inclusion of the Newhart sets.
Old 09-13-10, 01:30 PM

Remmington Steele was picked up by Mill Creek, that could be why the sale on those.

Picked up 1-3 of the addams, and outer limits myself, my store had maybe 2 of everything at that was it-

b
Old 09-13-10, 03:24 PM
Cool New Member

I made a return trip this weekend and another one today. Saturday I hit another store to find V1 of the Addams Family. While I don't like the show enough to want to own the whole series, I like it enough for one volume. Then after being intrigued by The Outer Limits (which I'd never seen as far as I can remember), I watched an episode online and enjoyed it enough to head back today to get both of those. I'm surpised I'd not gotten into it as I'm a huge fan of the original Twilight Zone. I was tempted by a couple of other sets but since I have no room left on my shelf and a large backlog of shows as it is, I resisted.
Old 09-13-10, 04:22 PM
Zbu

Yup, all three Newhart sets I saw there are $6 apiece. Hot dog!

Originally Posted by bmvtoys
Remmington Steele was picked up by Mill Creek, that could be why the sale on those.

Picked up 1-3 of the addams, and outer limits myself, my store had maybe 2 of everything at that was it-

b
Mill Creek picked up Remington Steele? That's weird: the whole series has already been released. Maybe Mill Creek are going to put them on the five per disc and sell the complete series? Still, this is good news: I wouldn't mind getting the rest of the run from Fox in slimcase form.

Originally Posted by thetoonguy
I made a return trip this weekend and another one today. Saturday I hit another store to find V1 of the Addams Family. While I don't like the show enough to want to own the whole series, I like it enough for one volume. Then after being intrigued by The Outer Limits (which I'd never seen as far as I can remember), I watched an episode online and enjoyed it enough to head back today to get both of those. I'm surpised I'd not gotten into it as I'm a huge fan of the original Twilight Zone. I was tempted by a couple of other sets but since I have no room left on my shelf and a large backlog of shows as it is, I resisted.
The Outer Limits is so worth it. It's a shame the Season 2 set isn't included in this, but since that's when many see the show in decline you won't miss much. Still, the first two 'volumes' (aka Season 1) is very much worth it. It's truly a gem of a show.
Old 09-14-10, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Checked out 2 Meijer's stores yesterday, primarily interested in Newhart. Only 1 of the 2 stores had the sets, and it was a thinned out display. And of course, they were out of Newhart but somehow I convinced myself to pick up Flipper, The Outer Limits (Vol. 1&2), Green Acres (S1&2) and the Dark Shadows set...I don't think I would have given that last one a second look except seeing that it was a "horror" show and with the upcoming challenge, I figured I'd check it out.

Edit: Just checked and noticed Outer Limits is also labled as horror/sci-fi, so I guess I'll add that to my potential October viewing. Guess there's not a chance that Flipper or Green Acres would count too.
Old 09-14-10, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cardsfan, you will enjoy FLIPPER, it has incredibly nice transfers of shows produced in gorgeous colors and beautiful location filming.
Old 09-14-10, 01:32 PM
Zbu

Actually, I should point out that in my area of the world (Ann Arbor area, surrounding areas) that these are found on those weird little black metal displays in the center of an aisle near the DVD section. So if you're looking, check out there instead of in the proper section. I'm not sure why Meijer does that, but there you go.
Old 09-15-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Zbu
Actually, I should point out that in my area of the world (Ann Arbor area, surrounding areas) that these are found on those weird little black metal displays in the center of an aisle near the DVD section. So if you're looking, check out there instead of in the proper section. I'm not sure why Meijer does that, but there you go.
Yep same thing in metro-Detroit area.
Old 09-15-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't see anything at the Springfield, Illinois store.

Their DVD section has changed to focus more on movies rather than TV series - their section for TV series is maybe 25% the size of what it used to be.
Old 09-15-10, 02:59 PM
Zbu

Yeah, they're slowly cutting out their TV on DVD section so it only includes stuff that has been made in the last decade. A lot of older stuff is sitting there, collecting dust, because Meijer won't get beyond charging $34.99 for a season of Columbo.

Then again, I went to Borders last night. They still had a fairly good selection of stuff, but all of it was MSRP. It was amazing to see every season of Smallville at $60 when a short walk to Best Buy at the end of the mall had them marked for $19.99. And this is the normal price on DVD Price Search, too, so I have no idea.

It boggles the mind: you would think Borders would have caught on when DVD prices started falling in general around nine years ago, but they really screwed the pooch when it came to dropping rarer titles and expecting people not to know what the internet is. Or about visiting other stores. It makes my brain hurt.

Meijer was the same way until this. I hope they have more secret sales because it's a good way to grab a lot of stuff. They already have a few other TV sets on sale around the store. I think I grabbed Square Pegs for $15.
Old 09-15-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Borders is notorious for overcharging on their DVDs, whether they're movies or TV series/shows. Only go there if you can get a coupon 30% off and higher. Same goes for B&N too. Got Newhart S1 at my Rolling Meadows, IL Meijers yesterday for a friend for six bucks. Can't go wrong with that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.