DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   BUYING Redbox DVDS? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/575879-buying-redbox-dvds.html)

Steve 06-30-10 05:20 PM

BUYING Redbox DVDS?

Sorry if this has already been posted (I couldn't find it).

Just got back from my local grocery store and the giant Red Box was starting at me, and on the screen it said "Rent or Buy?"

I didn't realize I could BUY DVDs from Redbox.

They charge $1/day to rent, or $5 to buy.

Of course, what is the condition of these rentals? And I have no idea of what the return process is if they are badly scratched/unplayable.

But it was intriguing.. If they ever get to buy for $3, then they may have me..

also, they started renting Blu Ray discs.. only a couple.. but they have started.

Perhaps in the future we can buy BR Red Box rentals for $5? ahh..THAT would be interesting.

seriousmill 06-30-10 06:45 PM

Re: BUYING Redbox DVDS?

Ive bought 4 of them so far and they were in very good condition. I would buy again mostley because they were about a month old or less from getting released on dvd.

The only thing that sucks no cover art or regular case.

izatright 06-30-10 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by seriousmill (Post 10241292)

Yeah, that's a deal breaker for me.

Drav3n 06-30-10 08:16 PM

I've noticed that the Redbox at my local walmart is now "blue." Does this mean that the blue colored Redbox's are going to be the ones to carry blurays?

newginafets 06-30-10 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by seriousmill (Post 10241292)
Ive bought 4 of them so far and they were in very good condition. I would buy again mostley because they were about a month old or less from getting released on dvd.

that's good enough reasons not to buy from Red Box for me :D

kenbuzz 06-30-10 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by newginafets (Post 10241502)
that's good enough reasons not to buy from Red Box for me :D

I've got a bazillion empty DVD cases - both Amaray and Thinpak - and printing covers from cdcovers.cc or any of a handful of other sites is a snap, so this isn't as much a deal breaker for me as it is for most.

Yeah, I know, "goody for you, Kenbuzz", but it's true. It's true, I tell ya! Ever be thinking about shrimp, or a plate, or a plate of shrimp? Well, you are now! Ha!

newginafets 06-30-10 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz (Post 10241528)
I've got a bazillion empty DVD cases - both Amaray and Thinpak - and printing covers from cdcovers.cc or any of a handful of other sites is a snap, so this isn't as much a deal breaker for me as it is for most.

Yeah, I know, "goody for you, Kenbuzz", but it's true. It's true, I tell ya! Ever be thinking about shrimp, or a plate, or a plate of shrimp? Well, you are now! Ha!

hahaha yeah but i don't have any good printer (let alone good printer, my printer now has no ink!). I prefer original cover, printing and buying empty cases are too much hassle for me :)

kodave 06-30-10 10:33 PM

At $5 for a previously viewed CD plus the cost of a DVD case and the ink you use up if you try to get close to a professional cover, chances are you could just buy a complete used copy for the same price, I'd imagine.

I had to consider something similar for some used video games and it was just cheaper to hunt down the empty box with original cover art rather than try to recreate it myself.

Trevor 07-01-10 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by kodave (Post 10241680)
At $5 for a previously viewed CD plus the cost of a DVD case and the ink you use up if you try to get close to a professional cover, chances are you could just buy a complete used copy for the same price, I'd imagine.

I had to consider something similar for some used video games and it was just cheaper to hunt down the empty box with original cover art rather than try to recreate it myself.

We're talking pennies for the case and ink, but I still agree with you. There are very few films that are not $5 or less within a year or two.

BJacks 07-01-10 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Drav3n (Post 10241465)
I've noticed that the Redbox at my local walmart is now "blue." Does this mean that the blue colored Redbox's are going to be the ones to carry blurays?

Are you sure it didn't change to a Blockbuster kiosk? Those are typically blue.

The Cow 07-01-10 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by BJacks (Post 10242951)
Are you sure it didn't change to a Blockbuster kiosk? Those are typically blue.

No, Walmart has RedBox brand. And they are blue, I've seen them too.

Edit: Looks like they just did it to match the Walmart blue color (which is weird, as it seems like Walmart stores are getting away from that color)

http://consumerist.com/images/31/2009/07/bluebox.jpg

KrazyJason 07-01-10 09:52 PM

No case is fine, but no artwork is another matter. Plus, not being able to inspect the disc before buying. Maybe for 3.00 if it was something i really wanted to just watch more than once.

Steve 07-02-10 10:43 AM

However, for new releases this does turn out to be cheaper than BBV.

Perhaps if we would buy a new release as soon as it was available in the box, then it would be in pretty good shape.

but yes, no art work makes it almost impossible for resale value.