DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Microsoft Kills Bing Cashback (Last day to EARN July 30th 2010) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/574750-microsoft-kills-bing-cashback-last-day-earn-july-30th-2010-a.html)

jwstl 06-04-10 02:13 PM

Microsoft Kills Bing Cashback (Last day to EARN July 30th 2010)

Just saw this at Cnet. My apologies if this has already been mentioned.

NoirFan 06-04-10 02:34 PM

Re: Microsoft Kills Bing Cashback

Terrible news. I've saved several hundred bucks through Bing. According to that article, July 30th will be the last day, so at least any purchases from DD or B & N during their respective sales will be included.

Lateralus 06-04-10 02:44 PM

Dang it, this sucks I guess we need to keep using the other place!

jwstl 06-04-10 02:46 PM

I'm moving this discussion to this thread...

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 10194488)
Fudge! I recently stopped using Bing for lower-priced Ebay Buy It Now items because I didn't want to hit the limit of 40 purchases too quickly.

I saw someone else mention a 40 transaction limit but I never saw that listed anywhere in the program info. In fact, the Cashback Help has this:

"You can earn up to $2,500 in cashback savings every calendar year."

As far as I'm concerned that was the only limit so I used it for everything. I didn't quite make 40 transactions and, unless I go crazy in the next 2 months, I probably won't.

kenbenobi 06-04-10 03:14 PM

Yeah, this was mentioned in a few threads already. Here is Bing's official statement:

Here is the Bing statement about it. July 30 is the last day:
http://www.discoverbing.com/cashback...4Nmx&wom=false
Dear valued cashback customer:
We are writing to notify you that the Bing cashback program will be discontinued, and the last day to earn cash back on your Bing Shopping purchases will be July 30, 2010.

Until July 30, 2010 9:00 pm PST, it’s business as usual so continue to take advantage of great offers from your favorite merchants. You can redeem all of your earned cashback savings consistent with the cashback terms and conditions and access the Bing cashback customer support system through July 30, 2011. We encourage you to redeem your cashback savings and to further support redemption, we are waiving the $5 minimum payout effective July 31, 2010. To assist with prompt delivery of your cashback earnings, please visit http://cashbackaccount.bing.com to ensure your account information is current. For more details and answers to your questions, please visit our frequently asked questions page.

Thank you very much for being a loyal cashback user. We remain committed to delivering great value to our customers, and we are currently working on an exciting new program which you will hear more about from us later this summer.

Sincerely,

Bing cashback Team

kenbenobi 06-04-10 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by jwstl (Post 10194510)

I saw someone else mention a 40 transaction limit but I never saw that listed anywhere in the program info. In fact, the Cashback Help has this:

As far as I'm concerned that was the only limit so I used it for everything. I didn't quite make 40 transactions and, unless I go crazy in the next 2 months, I probably won't.

The rules on Ebay clearly stated a limit of 40 Bing cashback transactions lifetime per account when I checked earlier this year, but you're right, it was apparently amended to $2500/year. The rules were amended earlier this year, and that is apparently one of the amendments. I wish I had known that sooner.

dx23 06-04-10 05:05 PM

Well, there goes my only use for Bing.

BKenn01 06-04-10 05:12 PM

I had basically quit using it because of a transaction they cancelled on me. Did use it for a few major ebay purchases.

The real sad thing is that the other services will probably not be as competitive now and we wont see as many 10 to 12% deals.

anomynous 06-04-10 05:20 PM

Bing's useless now

RoadToPerdition 06-04-10 05:21 PM

They've never given me credit for any purchases I've made through their site, so I can't say I'll miss them...

jwstl 06-04-10 05:50 PM

I've contacted Cashback support a couple of times when transactions didn't post and they credited my account the correct amount promptly. This happened recently with a purchase from NBC Universal. All they asked for was a PDF of the order confirmation email. I had the $4 added to my account within hours. Outstanding service.

Mike UFC 06-04-10 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by dx23 (Post 10194784)

This.

Definitely a disappointing development.

Cardsfan111 06-04-10 05:57 PM

:rip: bing. I used it a couple of times. It wasn't until this thread that I had to go check and discovered I have almost $9 in my account right now. :banana: It's like finding money in your coat pocket!

TGM 06-04-10 06:40 PM

how does the amazon payments cashout option work? I've always cashed out to paypal, but I'm saving up to buy something off amazon... does it just dump your cashback reward total into amazon.com credit to be used for any purchase at a later date?

BKenn01 06-04-10 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 (Post 10194854)
:rip: bing. I used it a couple of times. It wasn't until this thread that I had to go check and discovered I have almost $9 in my account right now. :banana: It's like finding money in your coat pocket!

Yep, I had $38!:rock2:

Sweet Baby James 06-04-10 08:42 PM

Re: Microsoft Kills Bing Cashback (Last day to EARN July 30th 2010)

What really hurts is that they are ending it in July. They used to up the % to insane levels in August for back to school. I got $250 back from a $500 Eastbay order last August. I guess that it's back to e*b*a*t*e*s.

DirkBelig 06-07-10 09:11 AM

I've only used it once for cash back because the other times, I was either unable to figure out how to get the deals the SD folks were chirping about (e.g. type keywords "hamster" and "nitroglycerin" to find eBay deal on a camera) or I couldn't tell if I was going to get the cash back. When you're spending $120 on some Star Trek BDs, it's not a deal breaker if you don't get the $6 back. When it's $200+ on an $1700 deal, it's really easy to be leery.

Jacoby Ellsbury 06-07-10 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by jwstl (Post 10194510)

Ive crossed the 40 ebay transaction mark and no longer qualify for Bing. That is until I created another ebay account and used the same paypal and bing email accounts so now I have 40 more transactions. You will probably have to use someone else's name in your house to qualify if you reach this point. Well time to max out the other account on any and all purchases. I was reserving the new account for purchases in the $500 range, now that $40 printer ink BIN auction will get some bing bucks back. Im only at about 5-10 transactions on the new account

Cardsfan111 07-31-10 02:27 AM

And it's gone. :(

As a reminder, you have a year to cash out any money in your account.

jiggawhat 07-31-10 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by dx23 (Post 10194784)

Same here, I'd love to know what happens to their traffic tomorrow.

stingermck 07-31-10 09:52 AM

I bought old comics all week on eBay. Used it one more time with a couple of hours to spare.

Pendi 08-01-10 09:55 PM

RIP Bing, all I can say

jpb07 08-02-10 08:00 PM

They are still advertising a deal with Deal....i think it's 20 or 30% back.

Superman07 10-13-10 08:04 AM

Anybody get a Bing Rewards e-mail? Not the same as BCB, but seems like their replacement (similar to Swagbucks).

TGM 10-13-10 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 10427613)
Anybody get a Bing Rewards e-mail? Not the same as BCB, but seems like their replacement (similar to Swagbucks).

yeah, I tried it and is sucks. The search bar never worked right, and people at CAG are bitching that they aren't getting their points and rewards.

Give us back 5-20% cash back, and fuck this noise.