Old 06-22-10, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: (DEAD) deepdiscount.com 25% off sale June 4th - June 20th

But DD is evil, apparently.
Old 06-22-10, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If I could travel to the year 2018, do you think I would finally have my copy of Terminator Salvation?
Old 06-22-10, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dino88
if i could travel to the year 2018, do you think i would finally have my copy of terminator salvation?
yes!
Old 06-22-10, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Greg.
I posted a little bit ago about this, but an order I placed on the 4th (and shipped on the 5th) still hasn't arrived. It's past the period where it should have arrived, so I emailed DD yesterday asking for them to reship or refund, but haven't heard back. I'm planning on calling about my lost order tomorrow (I'm assuming it's lost or never shipped at all, because of the many DD orders I placed, none have ever taken this long).

Any other suggestions to get DD's attention??
For media mail, they usually won't do anything until at least 30 days after the package is supposed to have shipped. It's only been a bit more than two weeks... I've gotten media mail packages well after that.

How fast you get a media mail shipment generally has little to do with how close you are to the shipper. Media mail is STANDBY MAIL. That means that when it arrives at the post office and they aren't busy and they have room on the next flight to wherever you live, the package goes quickly. If not, it waits, sometimes a day or two, sometimes a week or two. The weekend of the 12-13th, I order a bunch of stuff from DD and some of it shipped on three separate days, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday of last week. I got all three packages yesterday, because that's when they had time and room to ship them.

Media mail and other forms of inexpensive mail allow the post office to keep rates down somewhat by ensuring that they balance out workloads and plane/truck capacity. The downside of this is that you can never be sure when something will arrive.
Old 06-22-10, 09:37 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Postal cutbacks also mean media mail is very slow the days. The last time I asked DD to ship a replacement, the original order arrived two days later.
Old 06-22-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
And I would like to mention that Amazon's free shipping isn't faster because they hold my orders for up to 7 days before they ship them out which makes it about 2 weeks before I get an order and those are items that are listed as "in stock".
Wow, that's terrible. Amazon's free shipping is amazingly fast for me, which is why I've never bothered with Prime. If I order an in-stock item on a Monday, 99% of the time it arrives on Wednesday. I've ever had orders arrive the day after I purchase them.
Old 06-22-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My slim 2nd order:

COL031964 DVD : FILM NOIR-2ND COLLECTION $ 33.84 Pre-order
WBD043680 DVD : FILM NOIR CLASSICS COLLECTIION VOL. 5 $ 39.62 Pre-order
Old 06-22-10, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mike7162
WBD043680 DVD : FILM NOIR CLASSICS COLLECTIION VOL. 5 $ 39.62 Pre-order
That's not a discounted item, and actually cheaper at Planet ($35.46).
Old 06-22-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^NoirFan knows NoirPrices.
Old 06-22-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Wow, that's terrible. Amazon's free shipping is amazingly fast for me, which is why I've never bothered with Prime. If I order an in-stock item on a Monday, 99% of the time it arrives on Wednesday. I've ever had orders arrive the day after I purchase them.
Interesting. It even states on my order page that the item will only ship on xx/xx/2010 which is always 5 to 7 days after order date. Well, good for you that your orders ship so fast. It's not really a problem since I can wait a few extra days.
Old 06-23-10, 02:25 AM

Is this sale actually, truly dead? Or was there an extension that I just can't find an advertisement/post about? Because I never actually placed an order, just kept putting items in the shopping cart in case I actually felt like spending money or if prices dropped, and they never did--until now. My cart total (across 16 items) is over $50 LESS than during the sale. Also, every single item is in stock now (minus the pre-orders), as opposed to just over half when the sale was going on.
Old 06-23-10, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,603 Posts

I'm surprised to read the comments complaining about this sale saying it sucks, worst ever, blah blah blah. IMO, it blows away the last sale in the winter and is pretty equal to what we usually get from them.

Does anyone not know how to comparison shop anymore? I spent almost $300 on this sale and pretty much everything I got was anywhere from 50-75% off MSRP and cheaper than Amazon or Best Buy and I was very happy with it. Not everything on this sale is a bargain, so you just have to use common sense and do alot of comparisons. I mean seriously, I'm not expecting $3 DVD's and $5 Blu Rays. I just picked up World of the Worlds and Minority Report BR's, which arrived today and they were only $17.15 each with no sales tax. I also picked up a few of the Warner Bros 4 Film Favorites on DVD for $8.98 each. Those normally sell at Target or Best Buy anywhere from $10 to $14.99.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-23-10 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-23-10, 06:59 AM

People are complaining that they're not getting dvds for 90% off MSRP.
Old 06-23-10, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by roughdraft_zero
Is this sale actually, truly dead? Or was there an extension that I just can't find an advertisement/post about? Because I never actually placed an order, just kept putting items in the shopping cart in case I actually felt like spending money or if prices dropped, and they never did--until now. My cart total (across 16 items) is over $50 LESS than during the sale. Also, every single item is in stock now (minus the pre-orders), as opposed to just over half when the sale was going on.
Do you have a bunch of British stuff in there? They just started a new sale (60% off I think) so maybe that's it.

James
Old 06-23-10, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by roughdraft_zero
My cart total (across 16 items) is over $50 LESS than during the sale. Also, every single item is in stock now (minus the pre-orders), as opposed to just over half when the sale was going on.
Djariya, the comment above clearly explains why many of us feel this sale was a nonevent. Yes, they did have SOME good deals, and this thread was a great place to find them when someone posted. Unfortunately, most of the good deals posted were for very niche or obscure category films that weren't to my taste.

The main point is that these DVDs have been for sale for cheaper throughout the year, so if you are shopping or viewing DDD regularly there was little to excite you. In the past, EVERYTHING had an awesome price during the sale and buyers pigged out. Now, this event ranks up there with the various DOTD or Goldbox events that occur throughout the year, nothing special.

If you missed or skipped this sale, no worries. As the above quote shows, you will probably get a better deal in the coming months if you pay attention to the various category sales that DDD has every month.

If you are happy with your finds, and got great prices, good on you, that's all that matters. For many of us though, this sale was a nonevent, and our wallets were spared. I can see where people can say this was the worst sale ever when many of the DVDs they wanted to buy were cheaper prior or after this sale.
Old 06-24-10, 04:56 AM

Today i received "Ah! My Buddha Complete Collection" which was a part of my order. It was shipped in a small cardboard box. Nothing was damaged, the dvds have no scratches and they look awesome. Very glossy

Unfortunately my other order with Karin and Rozen Maiden was shipped a few days earlier and didnt arrive yet.
Old 06-24-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm surprised to read the comments complaining about this sale saying it sucks, worst ever, blah blah blah. IMO, it blows away the last sale in the winter and is pretty equal to what we usually get from them.
Yes, better than the pitiful winter sale... but hardly equel to what we have gotten from them in the past.
Old 06-24-10, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Yes, better than the pitiful winter sale... but hardly equel to what we have gotten from them in the past.
This sale is pretty much exactly what we've gotten from them in the past on their 20-25% off sales. Their street prices are about the same as they've always been in connection with MSRP's and 25% off that represents a substantial savings over what you're likely to pay anywhere on non-sale prices.

The difference is that over the last three years or so, both DD and their competitors have done many more deep sales on specific items, even Criterions. It used to be that the only time you'd get a significant sale anywhere would be when the retailer (or distributor) was trying to clearance out a non-selling item, and that tended to be a lot of junk.

Now, everyone has some items on sale at much better prices than DD's 25% off sale most of the time. So, if you're patient and if what you want goes on sale (which usually but doesn't always happen), you'll eventually get a better deal at a different sale. If, however, you were to take 20 or 30 items at random and price them last week at DD versus their competitors, the odds are that DD prices for most of those items would be better.

The sale hasn't changed. The retailers' general selling strategy has changed.
Old 06-24-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Today I received one of the three backordered titles that was shipped out around two weeks ago.
All three backorders got shipped out fairly close to each other, a day or two later, so I thought they all would have gotten stranded at the same point and then all show up together at the same time. Oh well.

Postal cutbacks also mean media mail is very slow the days. The last time I asked DD to ship a replacement, the original order arrived two days later.
Yeah, I was talking to one of the clerks at the PO the other day and she said they cut the staffs in the summer which doesn't help. Media gets sorted last, and if they don't have the staff and there is a lot of first class and priority, it may sit there quite a while before it gets sorted at all.
Old 06-24-10, 02:13 PM
Cool New Member

Quantity Item # Description Price
-------- ------------ ---------------------------------------- ----------
1 KCH006522 DVD : ADV/OF THE GALAXY RANGERS COLLECTI $ 13.40
1 KCH006547 DVD : ADVENTURES OF THE GALAXY RANGERS-V $ 16.99
1 MCA020103 DVD : EXOSQUAD-1ST SEASON $ 9.26
1 WBD036155 DVD : TINY TOON ADVENTURES-1ST SEASON V. $ 25.88

Kinda late to the Deep Discount thread but managed to pick these up with 25 percent off sale they had. I a m a fan of cartoons but its going on 2 weeks and they still havnt arrived
Old 06-24-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I received my Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (Gruesome Edition) today. It shipped on June 11th. 11 business days isn't too bad I guess. The funny thing is that the order is still listed as "open" in my order history.

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 06-24-10 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-24-10, 03:09 PM

My Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. just shipped. Thanks, DD!
Old 06-26-10, 03:52 AM

And today the next part of my order finally arrived...Karin and Rozen Maiden

They shipped in a bubble mailer but nothing was damaged or broken. DVDs are without any scratches. Awesome DD
Old 06-28-10, 09:30 AM
Cool New Member

Has anyone had TV seasons delayed until all of them are ready to ship? I purchased three volumes of one TV series, and two are showing as open (and have since 6/5) but the first still shows as backordered. Do they normally hold until they're all in stock?
Old 06-28-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I received one of my other orders (Pieces) today and once again, due to horrible packaging one of the discs came loose and is scratched to shit. I still haven't received a replacement for the first order I received like that (Shock Festival) and returned. This is really beginning to piss me off. I can only hope that Babysitter Wanted (also two discs) makes it safely to my house.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.