Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

FAMILY VIDEO DOTD 5/12/2010 Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season One DVD $ 12 shipped

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

FAMILY VIDEO DOTD 5/12/2010 Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season One DVD $ 12 shipped

Old 05-12-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Family Video "Steal of the Day" occasionally has something decent.

http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/p...ce=stealmailer

9.99 + 1.99 p&h = 11.98.

Anyone know of any free shipping coupons, I might bite.
Old 05-12-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: FAMILY VIDEO DOTD 5/12/2010 Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season One DVD $ 12 shipp

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks View Post
Family Video "Steal of the Day" occasionally has something decent.

http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/p...ce=stealmailer

9.99 + 1.99 p&h = 11.98.

Anyone know of any free shipping coupons, I might bite.
I looked for a free shipping code but didn't find an active one. So I looked around the site for other DVDs I might want since the shipping is $1.99 for an entire order but I didn't find anything I couldn't live without. The Paul Newman Collection for under $19 was tempting but it includes too many mediocre films. The John Wayne/John Ford Collection for $18.49 was also considered but it no longer includes Stagecoach but does include The Searchers which I just bought on BD so I don't have a need for it. If they had all seasons of Hitchcock Presents for $10 each I would buy for sure.
Old 05-12-10, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: FAMILY VIDEO DOTD 5/12/2010 Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season One DVD $ 12 shipp

Terrible reviews on this thing: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/18026...ts-season-one/
Old 05-12-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How well does Family video pack their shipments? Anyone have issues with them over anything?
Old 05-12-10, 07:32 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just got Rockford files season 5 and it came in a envelope and the case was broken with loose disk. Their prices are great but is too hard to return stuff to them. Do they pay for return shipping? On my invoice they said that I had too and if it got lost in the mail it would be my loss.

Last edited by g; 05-12-10 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-12-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by g View Post
I just got Rockford files season 5 and it came in a envelope and the case was broken with loose disk. Their prices are great but is too hard to return stuff to them. Do they pay for return shipping? On my invoice they said that I had too and if it got lost in the mail it would be my loss.
grrrrrrrrr.
I wish I'd waited for feedback before I pulled the trigger. RF S5 is exactly what I ordered too. I saw the price and figured I should bite before they changed it.
it looks like I can't cancel as it 'in fulfillment' right now. But if I receive it in a bubble wrap envelope I'll likely just mark it return to sender.
DD has sent me a couple multi disc digipack sets in a bubble mailer in the past, and I've just about always returned them.

Great price, but not if it's beat to sh*t.
Old 05-12-10, 08:44 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dealing with Family Video is great until you have a problem, I recently placed several orders, they package the orders in just a bubble mailer, I had multiple floaters and one order did not even arrive, which is apparently the customers problem, not Family Video.
Old 05-13-10, 09:45 AM
FamilyVideo.com

Hi everyone,

Just logging in here when I saw this to see if I can help. We keep close tabs on return & damage stats so I was so surprised to hear some of this feedback. Our customer satisfaction rating is actually very, very high, but if you are having issues, I wanted to find out more. The official policy on the site says to return the package within 30 days with your receipt and your shipping will be refunded and the item replaced. Additionally, I know from being downstairs that they normally take it another step than that. If you call in with something broken, they usually send you a pre-paid, self addressed stamped envelope with your order number already on the packaging. All you do is slip the DVD inside and it gets taken care of at no extra cost. Although that is not our official policy and they don't have to do that, they often will go the extra mile to make it easier for the customer.

One more quick note. I did just take a trip downstairs to mention this to customer service folks. I am told that of the few items that do get returned, a large number of the DVDs are completely in tact and that there is actually a piece of the box insert that is loose (we don't make the boxes so that we can't change). People are thinking that the shaking is the DVD and actually the DVD is fixed safely in place, but the little insertion piece from lower part of the manufacturer's case itself is loose. Sometimes you can peak into the lower part of the case without breaking the seal and see that the DVD actually is completely in tact and that it's just that tiny insertion piece from the box that is rattling. If you think you're going to break the seal though, it's probably safer to just return it if you have doubts. I just wanted to mention that to those who are able to sneak a look without breaking the seal since it might save you the hassle of a return.

Our return numbers are very low, so I really wanted to follow up on this thread and see what was happening. I'm not able to log on as often as I would like, but I will try to check back or you can PM me and let me know how those purchases arrived. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 05-13-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by FamilyVideo View Post
Hi everyone,

Just logging in here when I saw this to see if I can help. We keep close tabs on return & damage stats so I was so surprised to hear some of this feedback. Our customer satisfaction rating is actually very, very high, but if you are having issues, I wanted to find out more. The official policy on the site says to return the package within 30 days with your receipt and your shipping will be refunded and the item replaced. Additionally, I know from being downstairs that they normally take it another step than that. If you call in with something broken, they usually send you a pre-paid, self addressed stamped envelope with your order number already on the packaging. All you do is slip the DVD inside and it gets taken care of at no extra cost. Although that is not our official policy and they don't have to do that, they often will go the extra mile to make it easier for the customer.

One more quick note. I did just take a trip downstairs to mention this to customer service folks. I am told that of the few items that do get returned, a large number of the DVDs are completely in tact and that there is actually a piece of the box insert that is loose (we don't make the boxes so that we can't change). People are thinking that the shaking is the DVD and actually the DVD is fixed safely in place, but the little insertion piece from lower part of the manufacturer's case itself is loose. Sometimes you can peak into the lower part of the case without breaking the seal and see that the DVD actually is completely in tact and that it's just that tiny insertion piece from the box that is rattling. If you think you're going to break the seal though, it's probably safer to just return it if you have doubts. I just wanted to mention that to those who are able to sneak a look without breaking the seal since it might save you the hassle of a return.

Our return numbers are very low, so I really wanted to follow up on this thread and see what was happening. I'm not able to log on as often as I would like, but I will try to check back or you can PM me and let me know how those purchases arrived. Thanks for your feedback.
Thanks for the info. I feel better about order from familyvideo.com now. I do wish you had posted this message before yesterday's deal ended. The complaints made me reconsider my purchase so I passed on the deal.

Last edited by jwstl; 05-13-10 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-13-10, 11:22 AM
FamilyVideo.com

Alfred Hitchcock is backordered right now because we had such a big response yesterday. It should be back in stock in the next 7-10 days. If only I had a clone, I could be on here more ; ) PM me if you still have questions. Thanks.
Old 05-13-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kory View Post
The reviewer chose to give this set a bad review because of the playback problems with the set. Universal had lots of problems with double sided disks at the time (2005) which, I'm not sure, but I think have been resolved at this later date ... although I don't know if Family Video's stock is affected (it could have been sitting in a warehouse since '05 for all we know).

As far as the picture quality of the set, it's fine. The prints used have some light-to-moderate wear and tear (I believe the Joseph Cotten episode is the worst with lots of vertical lines and other damage), but have good contrast and detail and look as if they've been mastered well. For 1950s TV this is a great looking set. Sound is likewise fine for 50+ year old TV.

Proceed at your own risk on the playback problems, but the AV quality shouldn't be an issue.
Old 05-13-10, 01:29 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My rockford Files set is completely broken. As I opened it and the plastic on the case is broken and disks wont stay on. This is cause you shipped it in an envelope and not a box. As you know with prepaid envelopes often the post office will often not allow one to add delivery confirmation or to insure. I probably cant use this prepaid envelope to return it because I need to insure it as your site says. So how does this reconcile with your official policy that if it is lost in the mail that it is the loss of the consumer? It would seem that I need to send it insured media mail as it says on the return intructions on your site.
I think "your return numbers are very low" because some are worried about returning items insured. I considered keeping the damaged item because your site says it not responsible if its lost and needing it insured. People would rather keep not so perfect items than to deal with this policy.

Last edited by g; 05-13-10 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-13-10, 03:57 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like how quick you can get a reply of what you want to hear from a company when your on a public forum, but via phone and private e-mail, your basically told you are screwed.
Old 05-14-10, 09:53 AM
FamilyVideo.com

Hi again,

Just heard about this and I'm sorry your Rockford Files was broken. So, here's what you do. Call our customer service (1-888-332-6843). They are nice people downstairs and they will get it taken care of for you. I also want to note that I will be talking about this in our meetings so we can see if we need to re-evaluate packaging. The great majority of our customers are return customers and the number of DVDs that get returned is very low, so I'm pretty confident 'broken' DVDs are not typical, but I definitely want to address this with people here and look into it further.

I also saw the other post below and just wanted to add a quick personal note. You will get the same response on the phone as you get on a public forum with this company. It has nothing to do with 'looking good' and everything to do with making customers happy. No company is perfect, but Family Video is one of the most 'customer first' companies I have ever worked for in my life (and I'm not that young so I have some working experience to talk from ; ). I hear over and over again from customers how walking into a Family Video store is such a different experience for them. It's awesome feedback to have and I am glad that I get to work for a company that makes people feel like that, especially in a world where nowadays so many people feel like a number. It's great to see the opposite. I know when I walk into a store, no one knows my face or that I work for the company. I am always amazed at how the employees know so many customer's names and have something to say to almost everyone in line. It's pretty cool. Of course, it's harder to do that online since it's not a face to face relationship, but I know they work very hard downstairs to provide the same kind of attention to customers. It's a foundational belief of the company. I know this sounds like a lot of hype, but I wouldn't write it if I didn't see it over and over again in this company.

So, with all that said. I apologize that you have to delay in getting to enjoy your Rockford Files, but I know they will take care of it for you. So give them a call. Thanks for your patience and I hope you have a great day.

Last edited by FamilyVideo; 05-14-10 at 09:57 AM.