DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   21 Jump Street Complete Series $39.99 @ Best Buy stores (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/573495-21-jump-street-complete-series-%2439-99-%40-best-buy-stores.html)

b2net 05-08-10 08:13 PM

21 Jump Street Complete Series $39.99 @ Best Buy stores

Not available online anywhere yet. While this is a BB exclusive right now (and not even shown on BB.com), there is mention of it at Amazon. It may be cheaper in the future, but at $8 per season it is a decent deal.

[[Keep in mind though it is a Mill Creek release, therefore the it is compressed onto 18 discs. Considering the poor reviews of the uncompressed Anchor Bay releases, these may be similar in Video and Audio quality. I have read the Mill Creek release of 21JS don't have Closed Captioning or Subtitles like the Achor Bay releases.]]

Picture from Amazon.com
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

MR Round 05-11-10 09:18 PM

Re: 21 Jump Street Complete Series $39.99 @ Best Buy stores

I got this yesterday and each dvd is inside its own individual black envelope.

skees53 05-24-10 11:15 PM

anybody seen The Complete Series of Hunter at any Best Buy by any chance? I haven't heard anybody mention it but these Mill Creek sets have been showing up there early, and if that one is there, I'd love to get my hands on it.

b2net 07-07-10 09:22 AM

Now only $25.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/21+Jump+...reet&lp=1&cp=1

sociopharm02 07-07-10 09:44 PM

Too good to pass up for that price.

bmvtoys 07-07-10 10:07 PM

The hunter and the 21 are bb exclusives till i think mid august, then it goes amazon, at that point the price will fluctuate- Amazon keeps dropping and raising the mill creek prices every few days, some are rediculously low. B

smurr05 07-09-10 05:10 PM

BB website states its a pre-order for 7/27/10-WTF???

smurr05 07-10-10 06:54 AM

Went ahead and pre-ordered one for in store pick up on 7/27/10. Great price for a 5 season series!

smurr05 07-10-10 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by MR Round (Post 10152864)
I got this yesterday and each dvd is inside its own individual black envelope.

Are these flippers??? Still a great price but I was just curious-

b2net 07-10-10 09:13 AM

I have not opened mine yet.. but I believe they are single sided low bit rate transfers with more per disc than previous releases.. From my recollection of the older 4 episode per discs... the picture qualtiy wasn't that good anyway.. so more episodes per disc shouldn't be an issue... (kinda like Daybreak).... My only upset is I bought it at 39.99 too long ago to get a price match to the new price...

smurr05 07-10-10 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by b2net (Post 10257970)
I have not opened mine yet.. but I believe they are single sided low bit rate transfers with more per disc than previous releases.. From my recollection of the older 4 episode per discs... the picture qualtiy wasn't that good anyway.. so more episodes per disc shouldn't be an issue... (kinda like Daybreak).... My only upset is I bought it at 39.99 too long ago to get a price match to the new price...

Thanks for the info:)

Zbu 07-12-10 06:14 PM

If Hunter--The Complete Series sells for $50 or below, it's mine without hesitation.

As for compression and image issues, it's a two-fold question. Mill Creek's Hunter discs had five episodes per disc and they looked fine on my SDTV and DVD player. Plus Hunter was filmed instead of taped, so the image quality is a bit better. I don't think any real remastering has done but this isn't shocking: a lot of '80s TV shows were made on the cheap and expecting real image quality out of them is a pipe dream. Still, Hunter looked great: whenever someone did to put five episodes per disc did one hell of a job. If anybody is expecting a variation on Anchor Bay's awful transfer for Crime Story S2, this will come as a revelation.

For 21 Jump Street, the series is going to look weird regardless: when it wasn't filmed on video, the effects were all done on video and it's going to look cheap anyway (like Freddy's Nightmares, they stretched the budget by filming and editing on video). Shoving five episodes per disc won't hurt the image quality because that quality simply wasn't there to begin with. A good example of how a lot of shows saved money back in the day is to watch a syndicated print of 'Alice' and notice that the tape they used is rotting before your eyes.

dino88 07-15-10 09:16 PM

If anyone is wanting this early, you may want to check your local BB. I was there tonight and the set is already on the shelf...same price as the website ($26).