Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Hollywood Video & Game Crazy Closing!!!!

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-10, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In two weeks time Hollywood video and Game crazy will be closed!!! Meaning that sales should be starting for the remaining inventory as early as tuesday possibly (Actual details are unknown at this point). As some of yall may know movie gallery purchased hollywood video and in turn became responsible for the debt so now they are closing the remaining stores. Save up now cause i have a feeling once the sales start all of our wallets will be hurting
Old 05-02-10, 08:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hollywood Video & Game Crazy Closing!!!!

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...-2010-a-7.html
Old 05-02-10, 08:29 PM

Yes that was when they were only closing the "non-profitable" stores and you would have to find the closing ones for the sale, i am informing everyone that ALL stores will be closing in two weeks time. As far as when the sales start that might vary by location. Game crazy will be all closed down in two weeks and i believe hollywood will stop doing rentals in two weeks and then sell off their remianing product after that.
Old 05-02-10, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUST...e=domesticNews

I figured something was up when I noticed that my local store had no posters on the windows.
Old 05-02-10, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was in tonight and it took me a moment to notice that there were no posters or standees up. It looked emptier than usual. Now I know why.
Old 05-04-10, 10:11 AM

Actually, I work at Movie Gallery, and, unless I misunderstood what they told us, two weeks from now is when we're going to start liquidating, not when we're going to be finished.
Old 05-04-10, 03:57 PM
Cool New Member

As another Movie Gallery employee you are correct Elizabeth... kind of. The company has exactly 8 weeks from May 1st to get all inventory sold and get out of their buildings. Most stores will start liquidation this week, at the lastest by next friday. The way the liquidation is going to go is all set up as well which is fun to know, such as how fast the percentages will drop.
Old 05-05-10, 12:37 AM

Demonmoon68
Do you mind sharing that information to the rest of us. It would be very helpful to me, as I have to travel quite a distance to get to any of the HV, and have a shortage on free time.

Thanks
Coop
Old 05-05-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yes, please do share with us fellow bargain hunters
Old 05-05-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes, we'd all love to know the price markdown schedule.

Also, as dx23 pointed out (post #2), we seem to have 2 threads on this subject. It would be cool to keep the discussion in that older, longer thread as I expect this will be a popular topic for the next 2 months. Again the link is:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...-2010-a-8.html

I'm going to post in that thread in the future. That said, I'll still make a quick comment here... the statement above "I am informing everyone that ALL stores will be closing in two weeks time" is unclear. My understanding is in 2 weeks Game Crazy will be gone, HW Video will stop renting/selling movies and will no longer exist as an "entity", but the HW Video stores will remain open for another 6 weeks after that to sell off inventory via a liquidator who takes over in 2 weeks. So, I believe the really "hot" deals (when the markdowns hit 70%) won't happen for at least 6 weeks from now at most stores. That's my understanding. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-05-10, 04:49 PM

No you are right in my second post i cleared it up a little better, Game crazy is closed in two weeks and Hollywood is going to stop doing rentals in two weeks but will not be closed, they will start liquidating their stuff, again as far as liquidation schedule i'm not too sure about that.