(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 11:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Criterion Sale? Ever Again? (NOW ACTIVE/ALIVE AT B&N)

Bethesda location had two copies of 'The Red Shoes' - picked up one of two,
Old 07-20-10, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, for those in Northern NJ / NY Metro Area:

I've now tried using the $5 multiple times in the same store on the same visit a few times (before, I was using the $5 coupon for 1 single and the 15% off for 1 box set per visit)...

Got shot down in the Livingston, NJ store after the clerk insisted he had to check with his manager. Waited over 5 minutes for the manager to look at the coupons and say he couldn't allow it even after I told him that I would have bought 4 DVDs, but now would only be buying 1.

Had no problem in the Clifton, NJ location, where the clerk related that she had had similar problems when trying to use multiple coupons on the same day in a Sephora. I used 2 in Clifton. Each transaction was rung up separately.

Also had success using 2 at once (separate transactions again) at the Lincoln Center store.
Old 07-20-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg
FYI, for those in Northern NJ / NY Metro Area:

I've now tried using the $5 multiple times in the same store on the same visit a few times (before, I was using the $5 coupon for 1 single and the 15% off for 1 box set per visit)...

Got shot down in the Livingston, NJ store after the clerk insisted he had to check with his manager. Waited over 5 minutes for the manager to look at the coupons and say he couldn't allow it even after I told him that I would have bought 4 DVDs, but now would only be buying 1.

Had no problem in the Clifton, NJ location, where the clerk related that she had had similar problems when trying to use multiple coupons on the same day in a Sephora. I used 2 in Clifton. Each transaction was rung up separately.

Also had success using 2 at once (separate transactions again) at the Lincoln Center store.
Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on going to Livingston on Friday.

Didn't have any trouble at the Morris Plains store.
Old 07-20-10, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
Hit my first minor snag on Sunday (always the middle-aged and up white women in retail for some reason). Went with my g/f to a BN near her apartment and tried to snag 4 $29.99 MSRP titles w/$5 Off coupon.

So I go up to the register with 4 in hand, ask the woman to run them as separate transactions (she says sure), then she begins ringing them up after I hand over my membership card and a coupon. Normally, when this happens the cashier just scans the single coupon with each transaction and that's that. So she does one with the coupon no problem, but refuses to do the rest with the coupon.

So I say, fine, then I want this one (Dillinger is Dead) instead of the first title she scanned. And my g/f will be purchasing this one (Mafioso). So, apparently the pathetic ruse of simply saying my g/f was purchasing Mafioso made it ok for her to scan my membership card again, take another coupon from me, and run the transaction as I swiped my card again. My g/f never even approached the register, she just stood where she had been the entire time.

It was so farcical. I wish there were more customers around the register so I could have pointed to them and said they were buying the other titles too since apparently all that was required for this woman to run the multiple transactions was another body in the vicinity of my own.

Didn't walk out angry, but my g/f and I certainly had a chuckle over the farce that had just taken place.
Ha, ha. I had the same reaction the one time I had any type of issue so far using the $5 off coupons. Right when we got in line and I saw the woman at the register, I leaned over to my friend who was with me and said, "This one could be trouble ..." We were right, but she called the manager, who gave the OK to use the coupons. That's why I brought a friend with me each time we went. I gave her the cash to buy titles for me. Is it farce? Sure, but I'll play along for $5 off each title.

Originally Posted by RequiemX
My order of TRS has been delayed "at least 1-5 business days". I have a feeling B&N (and perhaps Criterion themselves) underestimated the demand for the new P&P re-releases.
Unfortunately, I think you might be right. I just checked the in-store availability near me. Of the two stores in my area, only one has The Red Shoes in stock and neither one has Black Narcissus. I went ahead and reserved Red Shoes for in-store pickup. I'm hoping that Black Narcissus comes in stock in the next day or two or that the availability just hasn't been updated.

Last edited by clckworang; 07-20-10 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, so much for me only buying 2 more movies. Went by the store near my work during my break and bought 3 titles. Before I got out of the car, I noticed I still had the $5 off $50, so of course, I had to use it. Got their sole copy of Brief Encounter, Downhill Racer, and Hunger. $44.50 before tax.
Old 07-20-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the same email about my order (7 + Secret of the Grain pre-order) - 7 separate emails about the items being delayed 1-5 days. This afternoon I received shipping confirmation for all 7. I guess the Secret of the Grain will ship separately next week even though I asked them all to be shipped together.(If you're interested, the 7 I ordered were By Brakhage Volume2/ Red Desert/ Mystery Train/ Paris,Texas/ Revanche/ Everlasting Moments/ Hunger. I picked up the Free Radical box and the Ozu double set the other in-store)
Old 07-20-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Once again zero problems using the $5 coupon, dude didn't even blink when I gave him the coupon just took the $5 off. $13 for a brand spanking new Criterion Blu-Ray, man I love these sales.

Did stop by 2 stores though & neither one had Black Narcisus on Blu-Ray.

Old 07-20-10, 04:11 PM

Any opinions on these?

Army of Shadows
The Bicycle Thief
Kagemusha (Blu-ray)

I can only pick one (I've bought too many thus far). I'm a big Kurosawa fan so Kagemusha sounds like a no-brainer but I own a lot of samurai flicks I still need to watch so I'm thinking I might wait till next sale on that one. How do Kurosawa fans feel about this movie?
Old 07-20-10, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spunkymonkey
Any opinions on these?

Army of Shadows
The Bicycle Thief
Kagemusha (Blu-ray)

I can only pick one (I've bought too many thus far).
Absolutely get TBF, without question. It is one of the greatest films of all time, and this is a fantastic release. I don't see how any Criterion film can be without that gem.
Old 07-20-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Spunkymonkey
Any opinions on these?

Kagemusha (Blu-ray)

I can only pick one (I've bought too many thus far). I'm a big Kurosawa fan so Kagemusha sounds like a no-brainer, but I own a lot of samurai flicks I still need to watch so I'm thinking I might wait till next sale on that one. How do Kurosawa fans feel about this movie?
You're right; it's a "no-brainer". Run and get it, it's beautiful on Blu and it's a "must" for AK fans.
Old 07-20-10, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L
Absolutely get TBF, without question. It is one of the greatest films of all time, and this is a fantastic release. I don't see how any Criterion film can be without that gem.
That's a great movie. But I've personally held off on getting that since I am pretty certain that's going to be re-issued in Blu at some point.
Old 07-20-10, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It looks like none of the stores near me got Red Shoes or Black Narcissus today.

It's funny, when I went in yesterday to special order them, I asked the clerk why they wouldn't be getting any in. He said, "Well.....you know, they're not big sellers." I didn't have the heart to tell him they were #1 and #2 on their website.
Old 07-20-10, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
Bicycle Thief is an absolute must for any collection! However, truth be told, it will most likely end up on blu-ray very soon.
Likely without the book of essays though, right? If that's the case, then I'm sticking with my DVD copy.
Old 07-20-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
Bicycle Thief is an absolute must for any collection! However, truth be told, it will most likely end up on blu-ray very soon.

Army of Shadows is going OOP... But, the film left me cold. I couldn't get into it...

Kagemusha is a great film as well. Its considered Kurosawa's dress rehearsal for Ran, but I think it stands well on its own.

So, the best film of the three is Bicycle Thief.
Best dvd (in terms of value) is Army of Shadows, since its going OOP.
Army of Shadows--I feel the same way about that as I saw it a few years ago at an art theater. But I suspect that was because I had different expectations (expected more of a heist/gangster film) of the film. Regardless, I liked it enough on that initial viewing to buy it last week.

Ok question for you guys, which BD is the best for a blind buy:

Kagemusha
Yojimbo
Black Narcissus
Red Shoes

Only caveats are that I don't really like musicals and have never seen any Kurosawa films at all. I'm leaning toward Black Narcissus but could be swayed either way.

Any idea when Amazon will be doing a price match at all? I forgot when they did it last summer, was it after the BN sale?
Old 07-20-10, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm surprised at the scarcity of Black Narcissus in the stores, at least for the Blu-ray. Both locations near me still show the Blu-ray out of stock. I looked up the DVD, though, and both stores have that. I hate to make the 40-minute drive to just pick up The Red Shoes, but that's probably want I'm going to do. I guess I need to return my defective copy of Yojimbo anyway. Since I reserved Red Shoes, I suppose I can wait a couple of days before making that trek. I was hoping to use the $5 coupon for Black Narcissus, but I suppose I've been lucky to have used it so many times already.
Old 07-20-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Army of Shadows--I feel the same way about that as I saw it a few years ago at an art theater. But I suspect that was because I had different expectations (expected more of a heist/gangster film) of the film. Regardless, I liked it enough on that initial viewing to buy it last week.

Kagemusha
Yojimbo
Black Narcissus
Red Shoes

Only caveats are that I don't really like musicals and have never seen any Kurosawa films at all. I'm leaning toward Black Narcissus but could be swayed either way.

Any idea when Amazon will be doing a price match at all? I forgot when they did it last summer, was it after the BN sale?
Amazon matched the prices shortly after the sale started last year. I wouldn't count on any price matching at this point, though it's certainly still possible. Amazon's Lightning Deal earlier this week (Wings of Desire Blu-ray for $19.99) didn't give me much hope of a price match either.
Old 07-20-10, 06:42 PM

[QUOTE=

Kagemusha
Yojimbo
Black Narcissus
Red Shoes

[/QUOTE]

Black Narcissus
Old 07-20-10, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
I hate to make the 40-minute drive to just pick up The Red Shoes, but that's probably want I'm going to do.
Why don't you call the store and ask them to special order Narcissus for you? That way you can get both in one trip.
Old 07-20-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Picked up The Lost Honor of Katarina Blum and The Ruling Class today.
Old 07-20-10, 07:18 PM

Kagemusha
Yojimbo
Black Narcissus
Red Shoes

If you have never seen a Kurosawa film, I would recommend Yojimbo.
Great movie and a great introduction to Kurosawa-sensei.
Old 07-20-10, 07:23 PM

Does anybody know if there are any titles rumored to be going OOP in the near future? I know of all the ones Criterion announced as going OOP in June, but was wondering if there are any others that will likely go OOP before the presumed November B&N sale. I think I'm done with this sale, but I'd like to pick up any soon to be OOP titles of interest, particularly BDs, now while I know they're on sale. Thanks.
Old 07-20-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Prideoftheyanks
Does anybody know if there are any titles rumored to be going OOP in the near future? I know of all the ones Criterion announced as going OOP in June, but was wondering if there are any others that will likely go OOP before the presumed November B&N sale. I think I'm done with this sale, but I'd like to pick up any soon to be OOP titles of interest, particularly BDs, now while I know they're on sale. Thanks.
According the OOP announcement thread, these are the remaining Studio Canal titles that are still licensed to Criterion:
2 or 3 Things I Know About Her
Army of Shadows
Big Deal on Madonna Street
Le cercle rouge
Classe tous risques
Le doulos
Fanfan la Tulipe
La haine
Au hasard Balthazar
Hopscotch
Last Year at Marienbad
Made in USA
Mafioso
Masculin feminine
Mouchette
Robeson Box
The Two of Us

Best get them while you can.

Last edited by Gobear; 07-20-10 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 08:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really really want to pull the trigger on the 25 film Kurasawa box set.. Gotta ask the woman before I drop 200 on that!
Old 07-20-10, 09:22 PM

Kagemusha
Yojimbo
Black Narcissus
Red Shoes

If you're going for Kurosawa, I'd suggest that Kagemusha.
Old 07-20-10, 09:29 PM

Has anyone found Everlasting Moments in a store?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.