Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Old 07-17-10, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
Re: Criterion Sale? Ever Again? (NOW ACTIVE/ALIVE AT B&N)

I went back to one of the B&Ns stores I hit the other day. There was a different person at the register, and I told my friend who went with me that she could be trouble. You could just tell she wasn't likely to be the type to just let something slide. She actually didn't have a problem using two $5 off coupons in one transaction; her problem was the fact that after membership one of the discs went below $20. I told her that I have had that issue raised at this store before and the manager said to just scan the coupon first. She said she wouldn't be able to do that. But when I said that I could just put the other one back, she said that she could call the manager and ask him because this wasn't her usual department anyway. I told her I would really appreciate it if she did, just so we could know.

It was clear from her conversation that I wouldn't have been able to use more than one of the same coupon with her, so I was happy that I remembered to bring both of the $5 off coupons. Anyway, the manager told her to accept both coupons. My friend bought another 2, both $19.99 titles, and she made it a point to say, "Well, you have the same problem he did, but I guess I'm allowed to fix that now."

She was really nice, and I made sure to be cordial as well. But I was already whispering at my friend to just put back the two Blu-rays she was going to buy when I thought the coupons weren't going to be accepted. So, in the end, I got another 4 Blu-rays, and they were the only 4 Blu-rays at this store that I didn't already own. I need to go to the other one next time; they had a much better selection.
Old 07-17-10, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where can i get the 20% coupon? and the $5 off?
Old 07-17-10, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by newginafets
where can i get the 20% coupon? and the $5 off?
ALL B&N coupons can be found HERE.
Hit the Spoiler "Show" button to reveal printable store coupons.
The 20% coupon is online only.
Old 07-17-10, 07:47 AM

My local B&N had already been picked through so I didn't get to pick up as many on my first trip. The Leopard, Gomorrah, Night Train to Munich.

The cashier had no problem accepting all the coupons I handed him: two $5 off 1 DVD, one $5 off $50, and one each 15% and 10% off coupons. He entered in all the coupon codes and gave me the total which was higher than expected. Reviewing the receipt, the two $5 off 1 DVD did not go through. Although another $10 off would have been great, no way was I going to complain. He didn't have to take any of the coupons and these prices are already crazy low.
Old 07-17-10, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After getting all the blu-rays I wanted, I'm now on $29.99 patrol to get discs for $9.25. Picked up Kicking and Screaming and Night Train to Munich last night.

Want to snag Mafioso before the sale ends if possible. I never thought I'd ever be paying less than $10 for new Criterion DVDs.
Old 07-17-10, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stopped by 2 stores last night & this morning & still no problems at all using the $5 coupons on $39.99 Criterions. Just had to explain it to one guy this morning & that was the first time I've even had to do that.

Old 07-17-10, 10:00 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 669 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by brizz
the content not available in the blu booklets is available on the website - how many times do you need to read it? the cases can't hold as much...pretty simple solution. Calling those "special features" is kind of strange. you can still read them as much as you want on-line. Or keep the booklet from your old DVD if you do upgrade. no big whoop. What do you want them to do? Spend thousands and thousands of dollars to develop packaging that will hold a book and protect the film like an amaray case? release everything in digipacks? it's a lose/lose...no pleasing everyone. I personally don't care for the digis - they are pretty, but flimsy. I *just* bought the Leopard and it's already creased on the spine.
Dude, I was just saying I'd prefer everything that came with the DVD releases. I wasn't nearly as upset about Criterion's decision as you seem to be in reacting to my aside comments.

I thought a few digital essays/supplements were left off, but if it only just the booklet-based stuff, then I'm more understanding, but still wish they had a way to include everything, even if it was a $5 supplemental purchase.

But again, just a quick minor quibble.
And I didn't say those examples have extra content not on the dvd, i said the re-releases are loaded with extra content on both formats
Awesome news, thanks for clarifying. I misread what you wrote and apologize.
Why it would matter is hard to understand though...you don't buy a blu ray for special features, you buy it to see a film in the best possible presentation. I don't give a rats ass about what special features are or are not on one release or another...I care about getting a great film in the closest possible quality to an actual film.
So your reasons and opinions are the only valid ones? Good to know.

There are lots of reasons to buy BD.
  • Just the other month I saved over $100 on BDs versus their DVD counterparts. Players have been as little as $50. One can save money by going BD.
  • Smaller footprint.
  • More room for extras.
  • Sturdier, longer-lasting discs.
But those aren't your reasons, so they don't matter....

Only "the best possible presentation" matters, right? So the decades of people watching films on SD TVs with tinny sound and no color aren't "true cinephiles". The large segment of the world's population that doesn't have access to HD TVs and surround sound aren't "true cinephiles".

Meh. I buy my films, DVD and BD, for the story. The story is 95% of my enjoyment. I can get equally immersed in and enjoy a film whether it's on a 13" B&W or in an IMAX theater.
If you can't see the difference between a blu and an upconverted dvd, then either your equipment or your eyes are inferior and it's not worth discussing.
Nice.

I never said I can't see the difference. But honestly, depending on the size of the screen and the distance they sit at, many can not honestly see the difference. I have heard stories and seen people boost about their state-of-the-art home theater and find their player hooked up via composite cables, and the sound set to mono.

Sure, you and many of the apparently real cinephiles do it the "right way", but I bet that a large percentage of BD players are set up in such a way that their owners aren't getting much of an improvement.
you last comment is also hardly worth addressing. I'm sure Joe Sixpack is really ecstatic about getting Red Desert. I'm sure he's waiting on bated breath to see the restoration of Red Shoes, or the revelation that is The Leopard on blu. It is a strawman and completely irrelevant here. The Last Emperor is as well...the extended cut is a curiosity not endorsed by the director shown on tv overseas. there was no reason to spend the money to include it. The quality of the extra material wasn't worth the upgrade anyway...
Nice again.
By Joe Sixpack I'm actually referring to just BD users, the probable majority that are doing it wrong.

And no offense to the director, but once a film is produced, my opinion of it's quality is just as important as their's. Lots of quality work by the actors and crew went into the extended scenes, and just because the director didn't like doing it and doesn't endorse it now, doesn't mean that it can't be viewed as the better release by some. Heck, hundreds of films over the years have later been disowned by the creators. Do we stop enjoying them because of that?
blu ray exists to give us the best possible presentation of a film - not to add extra special features. that's it. They do have the ability to hold more material, but i'd rather they used it for higher quality audio and video. Anything else is gravy. I'm not going to rewatch interviews - but i am the films themselves. Criterions efforts on the format thusfar have been really rather amazing, with hardly ANY issues with the transfers. Compare that to other companies, who can't seem to get basic color schemes correct. Every single release is practically essential viewing, if not owning. Considering their narrow customer base, they have served us extremely well as they've made the transition, and I expect them to continue to do so as they expand their facilities and staff to put even more out in new editions.
Answered that above, but I agree with most of that. Criterion has done a beautiful job on their BDs and I much appreciate it.

I just like supplements more than you and have a minor quibble about that.
You'll note as well that they have adopted a new pricing structure: DVDs that would have previously been $39.95 msrp are now $29.95 while the blus stay at the higher tier - including 2 disc releases. so if AV isn't that important to you, you should be even happier. I honestly can't understand the problem. If extras are more important than A/V then you can get them on the DVD at a great price, if A/V is more important, then you have stellar blu rays to enjoy and can rent the dvd from netflix if you really need to see a 10 minute interview with Peter Bogdanovich.
Cool policy.
There's simply no pleasing some people....and this is all especially confounding coming from someone professing to desire to own the entire collection, even the duds like Jubilee and Border Radio. That suggests a collector obsession more than a love of the films. though perhaps that explains your issue with the special features....I don't know. but it's odd.
I would argue that my love of the films is more "pure", since upgraded AV means little to me. I watch films for the emotion of the story. I get sucked into them and become a part of them. How nice it looks or sounds, or how close it comes to the theatrical intentions of the director are barely registered in my mind. The story consumes me.

I obviously enjoy better AV, and am not at all taking a luddite approach. For the reasons I listed above and the improved quality I think everyone should "go blu".

Your reasons for all of this are different than mine, I understand your opinions, know them to be more towards the majority, and respect them.

But I also think my opinions are incredibly valid, and deserve equal respect.
Old 07-17-10, 10:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was happy to pick up The Phantom of Liberty yesterday, along with a couple other titles. I'll get The Milky Way and Kapo today, and then I'll have all of the out of print titles that I want.
Old 07-17-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm I right in understanding that some of you are able to stack the $5 off a DVD purchase of $20 coupons? I bought 4 at a time at two different locations and they would not allow it as my membership dropped all the DVD/blu-ray prices to below $20 each. I was able to use the 15% off one and the $5 off $50 at the same time both times, though, which wound up getting me great prices as it is, but if I can get a further discount, do share...
Old 07-17-10, 10:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I would argue that my love of the films is more "pure", since upgraded AV means little to me. I watch films for the emotion of the story. I get sucked into them and become a part of them. How nice it looks or sounds, or how close it comes to the theatrical intentions of the director are barely registered in my mind. The story consumes me.

I obviously enjoy better AV, and am not at all taking a luddite approach. For the reasons I listed above and the improved quality I think everyone should "go blu".

Your reasons for all of this are different than mine, I understand your opinions, know them to be more towards the majority, and respect them.

But I also think my opinions are incredibly valid, and deserve equal respect.
This is how I watch movies, too. The story is the main thing, and if you are sitting there thinking that the blu ray looks so much better than the DVD, instead of being caught up in the story, you may as well be watching someone walking around a golf course in HD.
Old 07-17-10, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by slowcloud
I'm I right in understanding that some of you are able to stack the $5 off a DVD purchase of $20 coupons? I bought 4 at a time at two different locations and they would not allow it as my membership dropped all the DVD/blu-ray prices to below $20 each. I was able to use the 15% off one and the $5 off $50 at the same time both times, though, which wound up getting me great prices as it is, but if I can get a further discount, do share...
It's been detailed several times, but read the fine print on your coupon.

The $20 restriction is before all discounts. It won't scan manually, the cashier has to manually apply the discount, but once they read that it should work. YMMV of course.
Old 07-17-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I grabbed Stagecoach and Walkabout this morning at yet another store. The sales clerk was a youngish girl, who stated that the sale price was $19.99, so the $5 coupons wouldn't apply. I explained that the discs should scan at $20. She did something (didn't look happy), but in the end, she took 'em.

I wanted to get Wings of Desire, but couldn't justify the misprice. Criterion really needs to address this with B&N.
Old 07-17-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
It just shows how slowly these titles move during the year...(at least at B&N stores).

If you really want to upgrade to a keep-case, Criterion will send it to you with the applicable artwork for $5.

Details
I wish they did that for Benjamin Button.
Old 07-17-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I grabbed Stagecoach and Walkabout this morning at yet another store.
Westport?
Old 07-17-10, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I wish they did that for Benjamin Button.
I thought that was in the same casing as all the current Criterion BDs, but I guess not...
Old 07-17-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
+1 to most of this (the only part I would quibble with is that, since film is a visual medium, what sucks a viewer in emotionally is not just the story but the visual way in which the story is told, and so the visual quality is important from that perspective).

But like I said, for the most part I agree. Some people here confuse cinephilia with technophilia. I work at a film museum with real, hardcore cinephiles. When a director comes out with a new movie, they will see it no matter what. It doesn't matter whether it's in the theater, on a huge TV, or on a tiny laptop. The need to see the film is what matters. These people don't collect DVDs either. There is no inherent correlation between loving movies and collecting DVDs. This forum happens to be populated by a lot of people who do both, but there are those who love and don't collect, and there are the sad ones who collect and don't love.

With regard to directorial intent, I am highly biased towards auteurism. I follow directors' careers and read their writings. I have virtually every book collecting the writings of Godard and Truffaut, including their personal correspondence. And even I think the idea that directorial intent is some sort of trump card is pretentious and misguided. Films, even auteurist films, are made by dozens if not hundreds of people. There are some solo decisions, sure, but there is also teamwork and tons of compromise. To treat a movie like it sprang fully-formed from the mind of one person is to ignore what a movie is, in my opinion. It's also ironic for people in a DVD forum to get caught up in "what the director intended" reasoning, since historically most directors intended for you to see the movie in the theater. Do you pass on David Lynch DVDs? Because there's a clear example of where the director thinks you're a moron for even watching his movies on DVD. And I hope you don't pause to go to the bathroom, because I'm pretty sure he came down on that in a rant as well.
Old 07-17-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^

It's in a standard blue Blu-ray case with a slipcover.
Old 07-17-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Westport?
Sorry, no. Westport was pretty blown-out yesterday. I ventured into SBJ territory this morning.
Old 07-17-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, no. Westport was pretty blown-out yesterday. I ventured into SBJ territory this morning.
You're permitted. I've already acquired what I needed except for the new releases this Tuesday. Be happy that you got the girlie cashier and not some guy named *****. He was prickish with the coupons on Tuesday.

Last edited by Sweet Baby James; 07-17-10 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Removed the B&N employee's name.
Old 07-17-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
You're permitted. I've already acquired what I needed except for the new releases this Tuesday. Be happy that you got the girlie cashier and not some guy named *****. He was prickish with the coupons on Tuesday.
Yes, he looked to be prowling. Good thing they weren't too busy at 10:00 AM. Also, the girl was semi-cute.

Your handiwork was evident. The Blu-ray section was showing some damage. I really wanted to see if they had any of the older Blu-ray titles in keep cases, but it was digibooks aplenty.
Old 07-17-10, 02:29 PM

Might be a little off topic but is there a way to buy a DVD and have it ship to store? I'd love to get Secret Honor but no location has it near me.
Old 07-17-10, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by atreyurock
Might be a little off topic but is there a way to buy a DVD and have it ship to store? I'd love to get Secret Honor but no location has it near me.
Not off topic at all. As long as it is in B&N's stock, any store can have it shipped to them for you.
Old 07-17-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you know if they will accept coupons for ship to store?
Old 07-17-10, 02:58 PM

Without being able to use coupons online, I didn't buy any of the big-ticket items I wanted. Just got two more releases to add to my P&P collection:

The Red Shoes (pre-order)
A Canterbury Tale (thanks, Paul_SD, for pushing me over the edge on this one)

Used my AAA discount (10%) to cover local sales tax (9.5%). Had much better deals last time.
Old 07-17-10, 03:54 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm about to purchase way to many films, i've made an agreement with my wallet that i will not buy more then 2 films a week for the next month or two....

also picking up a inspiration kit for a friend who is about to start filming a new feature, which includes: L'Avventura, Chungking Express, Stagecoach, In the Mood for Love, Sweet Movie, and Downhill Racer.

also, if I may suggest...Downhill Racer...after the second time i watched it i feel in love, one of the best edited films i have ever seen.

worth noting that Downhill Racer was originally supposed to be directed by Roman Polanski but he passed after reading the script for Rosemarrys Babby.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.