Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Old 07-12-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
re: Criterion Sale? Ever Again? (NOW ACTIVE/ALIVE AT B&N)

Originally Posted by Future Man
Time for a new thread?
Or at least a change of title....
Old 07-12-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a bunch of B&N accounts and can't be bothered creating more. So just went with AAA 10% off stacked with a 10% general use coupon. Placed two orders for the main BD targets I've been waiting to get with the sale.

Order 1: Che and Gomorrah
Order 2: Yojimbo/Sanjuro set

With free ship and tax came to $72 and change for both orders. Four movies on Criterion BD for $18 and change per movie = good by me. Now I will mull over whether or not I should get some DVDs or not. Will sit on the sidelines a while and think about it.

Old 07-12-10, 07:11 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Without looking those up, $70 box sets come to $26.19 + sales tax w/free ship. $40 titles come to $14.87 +......not sure about the $30 titles.
You sure about this? Seems like the library 10% link, combined with 20% coupon should at least equal that combo, but $70 sets come to $28.79.

Wait, my mistake, my number is for $80 sets.

But for anything above $55 msrp, the library link/20% combo should be the cheapest possible way, in-store or online, right? Except for multiple item purchases with the $5 transaction coupon perhaps.
Old 07-12-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
But for anything above $55 msrp, the library link/20% combo should be the cheapest possible way, in-store or online, right? Except for multiple item purchases with the $5 transaction coupon perhaps.
I think you're correct. As long as 20% yields more than $5 off, you are better off buying online with the non-member coupon, than with the standard in-store 10% + $5 member deal.

The important thing to remember is if your online order totals to less than $25, you are better off jumping from the Library Link to Boeing or ND to get 7% off with free shipping.

Clear as mud, eh?
Old 07-12-10, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I think you're correct. As long as 20% yields more than $5 off, you are better off buying online with the non-member coupon, than with the standard in-store 10% + $5 member deal.

The important thing to remember is if your online order totals to less than $25, you are better off jumping from the Library Link to Boeing or ND to get 7% off with free shipping.

Clear as mud, eh?

If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll try to write up a detailed "best" procedure when I get back to a real computer Thursday.
Old 07-12-10, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brent L
Did they just kill being able to use a coupon code with the Visa link? I was in the middle of making multiple orders, and I just got to one and it is no longer accepting it. Thanks for the Visa link tip, it got my totals down around $16 or so. I really hope they didn't kill it, I still have a few more I'd like to buy.
Going back to this, I just figured it out - my problem is that I was trying to use the coupon codes on the pre-orders that are already discounted.

You can get the discount from the links on pre-orders, but the coupon codes will not work on them so we'll have to wait until they are actually released next week.

The link/code discounts are still working for me on titles already released.
Old 07-12-10, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by hendrixfan42
does anybody know for sure that the b&n criterion sale starts tomorrow in stores and online or is just speculation?-Thank you
Haven't read the last few posts, heh?

It is live online now, started earlier today.

It goes live in stores tomorrow.
Old 07-12-10, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

does anybody know for sure that the b&n criterion sale starts tomorrow in stores and online or is just speculation?-Thank you
You haven't been paying attention to the thread. The online sale started hours ago. Go back and read the posts from today to get more info.
Old 07-12-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ordered the ones I wanted most:

Yojimbo/Sanjuro
The Last Emperor
The Seventh Seal

and I'm still on the fence with:

Stagecoach
Rossellini's War Trilogy
Complete Monterey Pop
Walkabout
Old 07-12-10, 08:07 PM

Anyone else tempted by the $400 list Kurosawa set? About $144 pretax.

I know most of the films are featureless and available in other Criterion releases, but the 4 films exclusive to this set are calling my name. I only own 12 or so of the 25, so the cost to buy the ~9 I need would be similar. But do I trade all the special features for those 4 films? Decisions decisions....
Old 07-12-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still have not made a single order. I was all set to do a order with a $5/$5/$5 coupon until I found out it kills the 10% library discount. I'm probably going to wait until the store sale starts to see what happens with the $5 coupons.
Old 07-12-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

okay thanks I now feel dumb. Does the sale start in stores tomorrow?
Yes!
Old 07-12-10, 08:10 PM

FWIW, it's possible that B&M stores might still have the recently OOP Criterions in stock, even if they're no longer listed at barnesandnoble.com. Just spotted The Man Who Fell to Earth Blu-ray at one store.
Old 07-12-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I was trying to order something through the library link and use the new account code for 20% off. Unlike other sites, though, B&N will add shipping to your cost even if your coupon knocks the price below $25. I ordered The Leopard and then added a cheap book. Once the discounts were applied, it was under $25 so not eligible for free shipping. So, I add another cheap book. This time, I get to enter my 20% off coupon, which once again knocked the total below $25 and resulted in shipping charges being added. Argh!
Old 07-12-10, 08:19 PM

I went ahead and used 20% off coupons and the ND bookstore to pick up RR War Trilogy, By Brakhage blu, and Yojimbo/Sanjuro blu.

I'll do the rest of my shopping in store with the $5 coupon on single titles.

So excited to finally grab some this stuff.
Old 07-12-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really hate to make posts like this, but I'm going to give it a shot. out of the following, which do you guys consider "must owns"?

8 1/2
Bigger Than Life
Complete Monterey Pop Festival
Days of Heaven
El Norte
Gimme Shelter
Howard's End
In the Realm of the Senses
Kagemusha
Last Year At Marienbad
Lola Montès
Ride With the Devil
Vivre Sa Vie
Yojimbo & Sanjuro
Old 07-12-10, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I was trying to order something through the library link and use the new account code for 20% off. Unlike other sites, though, B&N will add shipping to your cost even if your coupon knocks the price below $25. I ordered The Leopard and then added a cheap book. Once the discounts were applied, it was under $25 so not eligible for free shipping. So, I add another cheap book. This time, I get to enter my 20% off coupon, which once again knocked the total below $25 and resulted in shipping charges being added. Argh!
Hopefully you haven't placed the order yet. Use the Boeing Bookstore link. The total discount works out to only being 60 cents less, but you get free shipping. Your total will be $18.59 plus tax.

Last edited by dino88; 07-12-10 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-12-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really hate to make posts like this, but I'm going to give it a shot. out of the following, which do you guys consider "must owns"?

Days of Heaven
My vote... and I would upgrade to Blu in a heartbeat if I had the funds to do so. But, I'm up against the wall for my entertainment budget this month.

Old 07-12-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

8 1/2
Bigger Than Life
Complete Monterey Pop Festival
Days of Heaven
El Norte
Gimme Shelter
Howard's End
In the Realm of the Senses
Kagemusha
Last Year At Marienbad
Lola Montès
Ride With the Devil
Vivre Sa Vie
Yojimbo & Sanjuro
Those are my picks. The two music releases are must-owns if you're a fan of the bands involved. If you're not then, I would pass on Monterey Pop, but Gimme Shelter works even if you are not a Stones fan because of what happened at the concert (will not spoil it in case you do not know) and is a fascinating documentary.

8 1/2 is one of my favorite movies of all-time, looks fantastic in high definition, and is one of the best films about filmmaking ever made.

Yojimbo (if you like the Man With No Name trilogy) and Sanjuro are just two really fun films in addition to being iconic samurai westerns.
Old 07-12-10, 08:43 PM

I know most of the films are featureless and available in other Criterion releases, but the 4 films exclusive to this set are calling my name. I only own 12 or so of the 25, so the cost to buy the ~9 I need would be similar. But do I trade all the special features for those 4 films? Decisions decisions....
I thought Criterion already confirmed that we would be seeing those 4 films as stand alones down the road. You do what you like, but in this case I think patience is a virtue.
Old 07-12-10, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by deet
FWIW, it's possible that B&M stores might still have the recently OOP Criterions in stock, even if they're no longer listed at barnesandnoble.com. Just spotted The Man Who Fell to Earth Blu-ray at one store.
That's good news. I'd like to snag a copy of Pierrot le fou. Their website actually showed it "in stock", right up until a few minutes before the online sale started earlier.....then it was gone again.
Old 07-12-10, 08:48 PM

Any ideas as to why Wes Anderson's The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou aren't part of the sale, while his Bottle Rocket is?
Old 07-12-10, 08:51 PM

Ordered via AAA/membership - no coupons

Make Way for Tomorrow - $13.49
Rossellini's War Trilogy - $35.99
Chantal Akerman in the Seventies - Eclipse - $20.24
Ingmar Bergman Trilogy - $35.99
Ingmar Bergman - Four Masterworks - $44.99 (I swear this was cheaper in the last sale back in November)
Summertime - $13.49
TOTAL with sales tax - $177.73

Will probably order a few more (Blu's) that I need to add to my current collection and I'll be good. Especially a few more Eclipse Series using the coupon.

It depends on your preference. For me...not really. It's good if you haven't owned that many Kurosawa Criterions and you want a better value (because at that price right now for the sale, that's pretty cheap) but I enjoy the special features (Criterion has spoiled me on that) that have been on the individual releases in the Criterion Collection thus far.

Last edited by kndy; 07-12-10 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-12-10, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Backlog
Any ideas as to why Wes Anderson's The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou aren't part of the sale, while his Bottle Rocket is?
Those are actually Disney releases with a Criterion banner while Bottle Rocket is distributed by Criterion.
Old 07-12-10, 08:59 PM

Shoot, I didn't even see the 7% off link. Cost me only $.16 more per dvd the way I did it, but still makes me mad. =)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.