Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10, 08:00 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Criterion Sale? Ever Again? (NOW ACTIVE/ALIVE AT B&N)

it usually takes quite a while to close a sale. It would be after November if one is done.
Old 08-03-10, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Sometimes they use that funky DHL --> USPS thing.....takes forever.
I can't figure out what the deal is with this DHL/USPS arrangement -- I got items routed from a B&N warehouse a mere 25-mile away from my house in Central NJ to the middle of the country then back!
Old 08-03-10, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by cine
I can't figure out what the deal is with this DHL/USPS arrangement -- I got items routed from a B&N warehouse a mere 25-mile away from my house in Central NJ to the middle of the country then back!
Yeah. It seems to be even worse (somehow?!) than Fedex "Smart"Post.
Old 08-03-10, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cine
Originally Posted by RequiemX
Yeah. It seems to be even worse (somehow?!) than Fedex "Smart"Post.
Oh yea, you've got to get creative to route packages the way these people do using this method....it defies logic.
Old 08-03-10, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, now that the sale has finished , what's the over/under before we see the next, "Criterion Sale? Ever Again??" thread?

I'm saying October 1st......
Old 08-03-10, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tasog37
I got SO LUCKY on Diary. About ten minutes after the OOP announcement I placed orders with DD and BN for Diary of a Chambermaid, thinking I'd save a few bucks from Amazon. Well, both were in out of stock limbo until they were cancelled about a month ago. By some act of god, I stumbled onto a copy at a local BN during the sale. I swear as I read that spine, rays of fluorescent light shone down from the heavens above.
and you found the first non-digi blu of Chungking Express I've ever seen from a store. good to know more titles are making the transition.
Old 08-03-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The final tally....(note I saved up since January by buying $25 gcs with each paycheck, sold some stuff on ebay for another $100 or so so I had around $400 to spend )

Chantal Ackerman in the Seventies
Presenting Sacha Guitry
Rossellinni's War Trilogy
That Obscure Object of Desire
The Virgin Spring
Smiles of A Summer Night
Big Deal on Madonna Street
Golden Age of Television
Night Train to Munich
Homicide
Empire of Passion
Ace in the Hole
La Haine
Mafioso
Simon of the Desert
Fists in The Pocket
La Bête Humaine
Pickup on South Street
Science is Fiction: 23 Films by Jean Painlevé
The Fire Within
The Lovers
Viridiana
The Fugitive Kind
Paddle to the Sea
Band of Outsiders
Last Year At Marienbad
Black Narcissus
The Red Shoes
Red Desert
Everlasting Moments
In the Realm of the Senses
Days of Heaven
The Leopard
Howards End
Vivre sa Vie
Secret of the Grain

Was able to use around 25 $5 coupons, half a dozen 15%ers, and one $5 off $50 - the only disc I didn't use a coupon on was Paddle to the Sea. Coupons and my member discount alone saved me almost $200 beyond the 50% discount. So just buy one folks. this list would be half the size without it.
Old 08-03-10, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Earlier I mentioned that B&N gave me a price of $28 and change for the Yojimbo/Sanjuro blus, using the Library link and a coupon. Then when the item shipped they charged me over $31. I waited until I got the shipment and then challenged the practice. Their response?

"We checked the item you ordered and found that $31.49 was supposed to be
the correct price. The lower price you cited was generated by our
system in error, which is why it was updated to reflect what the
discount should have been. We sincerely apologize for any
inconvenience."

I tried to reason with them, stating that asking one price and charging another was dishonest, but so far I keep getting the same response above. Anyone have experience with this? Should I call to complain or let it be?
Old 08-04-10, 12:12 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by izatright
Earlier I mentioned that B&N gave me a price of $28 and change for the Yojimbo/Sanjuro blus, using the Library link and a coupon. Then when the item shipped they charged me over $31. I waited until I got the shipment and then challenged the practice. Their response?

inconvenience."

I tried to reason with them, stating that asking one price and charging another was dishonest, but so far I keep getting the same response above. Anyone have experience with this? Should I call to complain or let it be?
Regardless of how good of deals we all got, changing a charge after you pay is bad business and wrong, if its 10 cents or 10 dollars it does not matter, if anything they should have canceled the order and refunded you. If you want your money refunded simply threaten that you are going to challenge the charge with your CC company and contact the bbb - I'm sure they will refund your $3.00, the key is to ask directly for a manager and keep going as high as you can go until you reach someone who can make the change.

I'm still waiting on my CC to be refunded from last week....
Old 08-04-10, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brizz
The final tally....

Band of Outsiders
You got Bande a parte in Blu? Must have missed this.
Old 08-04-10, 12:25 AM
g

The simple way to beat bn.com on this dishonest over charging is to pay with paypal. It will only allow the authorized amount in my experience. This is the only way that I have stopped their dishonest practice of overcharging.
Old 08-04-10, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by izatright

inconvenience."

Challenge this for sure. What they're doing, even if it is 1 cent, is fraud--and it's illegal. Continue as high up the chain as you can on the phone until it's fixed. If it isn't fixed in a couple of days, call and dispute the charge with your CC company (and send their response emails as evidence). Also, if you have a lawyer friend who's willing to do it for free, have a letter sent stating that you are willing to file suit and are consulting similarly dissatisfied customers about filing a class action suit.
Old 08-04-10, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wattsup32
Challenge this for sure. What they're doing, even if it is 1 cent, is fraud--and it's illegal. Continue as high up the chain as you can on the phone until it's fixed. If it isn't fixed in a couple of days, call and dispute the charge with your CC company (and send their response emails as evidence). Also, if you have a lawyer friend who's willing to do it for free, have a letter sent stating that you are willing to file suit and are consulting similarly dissatisfied customers about filing a class action suit.
Talk about overkill...people are lining up to join your "class action lawsuit".
Old 08-04-10, 03:14 AM
g

I personally think that the poster is right to a degree. This has the very modest potential for a class action suit. How is this different than credit card companies who overcharge in violation of a federal rule and the only time the money is returned is one there is one of these class action suits. Think of the thousands of customers who didn't notice that they were overcharged by bn.com.

Last edited by g; 08-04-10 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-04-10, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some people get these stories from them about coupons and some don't, which sucks. I had the Yojimbo/Sanjuro BDs at $28 or so (plus tax) after coupons (this was ordered before they stopped coupon usage online). They did not attempt to charge me more, and certainly would have heard from me if they did.
Old 08-04-10, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto

Talk about overkill...people are lining up to join your "class action lawsuit".
If BN isn't willing to refund the overcharge, even after several phone calls, other than letting it go the only option is a lawsuit. Also, you'll notice the language I used was dramatically different than the language you used. I said to indicate that the poster was "consulting similarly dissatisfied customers about filing a class action suit." You changed it to "people are lining up to join your 'class action lawsuit'". Those are two very different statements.

As anyone here who was able to successfully use the BN coupons after some hassle can tell you, it pays to read language carefully.
Old 08-04-10, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will this be the end of the B&N Criterion sales?
Old 08-04-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by kndy
Will this be the end of the B&N Criterion sales?
This sale is made possible with the collaboration of Criterion, which will now instead seek to do the same through other popular retailers, maybe Amazon.
Old 08-04-10, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
This sale is made possible with the collaboration of Criterion, which will now instead seek to do the same through other popular retailers, maybe Amazon.
What I liked about the B&N sale was of course the selection. I hope with Amazon, it's not just select titles like they did with their last sale. Deep Discount is fine but their prices are slightly higher and I believe their last sale was 45% right? (and some people have issues with their slow shipping).

But hopefully this isn't the end of B&N's Criterion Sales. I suppose this sale will end up with the shareholders or another company...(hopefully not Borders).
Old 08-04-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If BN isn't willing to refund the overcharge, even after several phone calls, other than letting it go the only option is a lawsuit. Also, you'll notice the language I used was dramatically different than the language you used. I said to indicate that the poster was "consulting similarly dissatisfied customers about filing a class action suit." You changed it to "people are lining up to join your 'class action lawsuit'". Those are two very different statements.

As anyone here who was able to successfully use the BN coupons after some hassle can tell you, it pays to read language carefully.
A slightly different take...It sounds like the $3 difference was the discount offered via the library link. Unless the OP is a librarian, B&N could justify the overcharge by saying he or she was attempting to get a discount to which they were not entitled.
Old 08-04-10, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jfunk1
A "little" off topic, but Barnes & Noble has put itself up for sale.

http://on.wsj.com/ddAhU7
In for one with coupon.
Old 08-04-10, 12:52 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by illennium
In for one with coupon.
hahahahaha....hilarious

But what's not hilarious is that $101 has been charged to my CC, its been six days since I received shipment notice. No tracking number so I don't even know where the order is. Been wanting to watch those movies. I understand I shouldn't be hooked on to the aspect of 'instant gratification'. But in today's day and age when order to fulfillment has been fine tuned into an efficient process, here's BN disproving that theory
Old 08-04-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It took an even two weeks after receiving the shipping notice before I received the recent Warner's Noir set I ordered from bn.com. I did receive a tracking number but they used the DHL->USPS method, which seemingly makes use of donkeys somewhere between Kentucky and California because the tracking info did not change for at least a week after the set left Kentucky.
Old 08-04-10, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by brizz
and you found the first non-digi blu of Chungking Express I've ever seen from a store. good to know more titles are making the transition.
Sorry to disappoint, but actually that's in the replacement packaging from Criterion. I went ahead and ordered all of the replacements back when they first became available, assuming I would need them in the future. (Which I did, the only digi-title I haven't picked up now is The 400 Blows.)
Old 08-04-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Challenge this for sure. What they're doing, even if it is 1 cent, is fraud--and it's illegal. Continue as high up the chain as you can on the phone until it's fixed.
I'm a little limited by time and energy, especially over $3.15, but I sent a bunch of nicely worded, polite, complaint letters. These were all ignored / rejected. So I filed a complaint with the BBB.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.