Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Criterion Sale? Ever Again? (NOW ACTIVE/ALIVE AT B&N)

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
God damn, none of my local stores have Secret of the Grain in stock. I know I should have reserved a copy a while ago, but it's too late now. I'm guessing the answer to this is probably no, but can I special order a copy in-store and pay for it then and there? Because otherwise it wouldn't arrive in store until after the sale is over. Don't want to order it online cuz I can't use any coupons
if you had asked the cashier while you were there you'd be able to pick it up Thursday - well before the end of the sale. go do it tomorrow and it should come in Friday.
Old 07-27-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Don't get it. Place the Special Order right now. For the current sale price. In the store. And when you are doing it, tell them about the coupon which is valid until September. That way you lock in price. And when you pick up the item in the store, ask them to process the coupon as a refund. THis is what I was told in the store when I ordered Black Narcissus. Secret of the Grain is available online now - I ordered it at 12:15pm PST and got shipping notice at 12:35pm
none of this is necessary...just tell them you want to order it for store pickup. you pay for it when you pick it up so it's just like buying any other dvd off the shelf. if you do it tomorrow it should arrive friday, go in with coupon, buy movie, go home and watch it and be happy. it's really that simple.
Old 07-27-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Picked up House Of Games and Night and The City today. Used another two $5 coupons with no problems.

I was shocked that my in store order of the Blurays of Che and Black Narcissus arrived so quickly. Gonna pick those up this week. I'm hoping that Playtime comes into the store before the sale ends.

Also intend to pick up Classe Tous Risques since its going OOP
Old 07-28-10, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPion
Everyone should own that Carlos Saura Flamenco Trilogy set. It's a must own release with some absolutely amazing films. I can't believe it's OOP, I got it during the last sale for around $18 shipped.
Big time ditto on this. EASILY one of the best Criterion sets I own. Cannot recommend it enough.
Old 07-28-10, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Monday I decided to place a store order for Bunuel's The Milky Way which is OOS everywhere near me. Then the next day I was in the same store and asked about estimated arrival day...August 6th. After I explained my concern about the sale being over then, the clerk arranged for me to prepay for it and accepted the $5 coupon. So, YMMV but it can happen.
Old 07-28-10, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gobear
Big time ditto on this. EASILY one of the best Criterion sets I own. Cannot recommend it enough.
I almost purchased last sale and would have this sale if it wasn't OOP. Don't tempt me so!
Old 07-28-10, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55

Also intend to pick up Classe Tous Risques since its going OOP
I didn't see this on any of the upcoming OOP criterions. Can anyone else confirm this? I'd hate not to get it cheaply while I can.
Old 07-28-10, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ThomasB
This might be slightly off-topic, but it concerns a hard-to-find Eclipse release at a good sale price, so I'll go ahead and post it here. The Criterion site is selling Eclipse Series 6: Carlos Saura’s Flamenco Trilogy for $30.96. I know this has been hard to find elsewhere, including at B&N, so those still looking for the set might want to purchase it while it is still available at Criterion.
Thank you for posting this, Thomas!

And welcome to the forum!
Old 07-28-10, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wattsup32
I didn't see this on any of the upcoming OOP criterions. Can anyone else confirm this? I'd hate not to get it cheaply while I can.
it was mistakenly included in the Studio Canal lists initially because of the Rialto logo on the back...but it is not at risk so don't worry about that one. I too had it on my shopping list for this sale because of that, but a little research revealed it's not in danger. nor is Mouchette and a few others in that other list posted here. the one I posted on the previous page is the definitive tally of remaining SC titles.
Old 07-28-10, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by GenPion
Everyone should own that Carlos Saura Flamenco Trilogy set. It's a must own release with some absolutely amazing films. I can't believe it's OOP, I got it during the last sale for around $18 shipped.
If it is OOP, that explains why I was unable to find it. That was actually one of three Eclipse sets I really wanted.

I guess I will have to order it from Criterion's website.
Old 07-28-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brizz
if you had asked the cashier while you were there you'd be able to pick it up Thursday - well before the end of the sale. go do it tomorrow and it should come in Friday.
Nope. I special ordered Everlasting Moments the first day of the sale and it didn't come in until Friday of the next week, so 10 days.
Old 07-28-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

One more trip:

Ride with the Devil
Le Cercle Rouge
The Royal Tenenbaums

Two $5 off coupons and one 20% off coupon...
Old 07-28-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Part of me (the fiscally responsible part) is almost looking forward to the end of this sale.
On Tuesday I bought Rossellini's War Trilogy and Army of Shadows using the 20% off and the $5 off on a DVD coupons. I also picked up To Catch a Thief (not a Criterion) which was on sale for 9.99 because it put me over $50 which allowed me to use the $5 off $50 purchase. I didn't feel like trying to use 2 of the same coupons on one purchase and I couldn't find a CD I wanted (Their music selection is terrible). All 3 cost me 45.xx plus tax.

Yesterday I bought Days of Heaven BD using the $5 off DVD coupon after reading all the rave reviews here.

I'm itching to go back but I'm not sure what else I must have.
Old 07-28-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Blind bought Viridiana based on positive reviews and my appreciation of Bunuel. Oddly the trailer I found on youtube is the worst movie trailer I think I've ever seen. Got shot down on $5 coupon due to one time use restriction.

Barnesandnoble.com lists Diary of a Chambermaid as being "special order: ships 3-5 weeks." Is it safe to assume if I tried to order it would just cancelled?
Old 07-28-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Barnesandnoble.com lists Diary of a Chambermaid as being "special order: ships 3-5 weeks." Is it safe to assume if I tried to order it would just cancelled?
I'm surprised it is still up on the web site to order. I tried to order it twice and each time it was canceled a few days later.
Old 07-28-10, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
I'm surprised it is still up on the web site to order. I tried to order it twice and each time it was canceled a few days later.
Thanks... I knew it was too good to be true.
Old 07-28-10, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by brizz
it was mistakenly included in the Studio Canal lists initially because of the Rialto logo on the back...but it is not at risk so don't worry about that one. I too had it on my shopping list for this sale because of that, but a little research revealed it's not in danger. nor is Mouchette and a few others in that other list posted here. the one I posted on the previous page is the definitive tally of remaining SC titles.
Thanks for clarifying this. I guess I can hold off on picking up Classe Tous Risques.
Old 07-28-10, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up The Secret Of The Grain this morning.
Old 07-28-10, 04:22 PM

My final haul, not bad for a beginner. Everyone starts somewhere.

Black Narcissus
M
The Red Shoes

In unrelated-B&N purchase, I need to pick up The Seventh Seal, since my two B&N ran out, I'll just use some store credit I have on Amazon and pick it up. That should do it for now in terms of Criterion releases, still need to get The 400 Blows, but I think I can hold off for a bit on that one.
Old 07-28-10, 04:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I picked up a copy 'The Secret of the Grain' from the downtown Bethesda (Maryland) store yesterday, and like the previous week, they really didn't have alot of copies of the new releases - I got the last one and that was around 11:30 AM.
Old 07-28-10, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaSokolov
In unrelated-B&N purchase, I need to pick up The Seventh Seal, since my two B&N ran out, I'll just use some store credit I have on Amazon and pick it up.
Why bother with Amazon now? Just have your local B&N special order it. You'll have it in 2-3 business days, and can take advantage of the 50% off sale.
Old 07-28-10, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Just FYI, The Secret of the Grain is available to Watch Instantly at Netflix, in case you want to watch it before you buy, or instead of buying it.
Old 07-28-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Sacha Guitry pre-order arrived today.
Old 07-28-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do I need The 400 Blows?
Old 07-28-10, 05:47 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jwstl
Do I need The 400 Blows?
yes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.