Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criterion Sale? Ever Again? (NOW ACTIVE/ALIVE AT B&N)

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Trying to pick up one box-set this go round...

Fassbinder's BRD Trilogy or Rossellini's War Trilogy

Any advice?
Rossellini's War Trilogy without a doubt. Those 3 films are basically three of the best films ever made during one of cinema's most exciting and progressive era's, Italian Neorealism.

It is also a great set and the films look amazing. Worthy upgrades over the previously available options on North American SD-DVD.

I got this set as a gift and couldn't help, but watch the whole thing in one sitting. These films have inspired everyone from Godard to Spike Lee. IMO no cinephile's collection is complete without this set.

(now expect another user to post the exact same thing about BRD Trilogy...I love film lol)
Old 07-22-10, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Got denied on using the $5 coupon on a couple of $30 dvds. Just bought Pepe Le Moko for $14. Almost got The Spy that Came in from the Cold. Any opinions on that one?

Anyway had the same problem with Black Narcissus as they only had it in SDVD. I had them order it. Also, had them order House of Games. Still waiting on Night and The City to come into the store.
Probably done in store unless I have a real desire to own The Secret of the Grain.

Picked up Le Samourai at another retailer for $3 though (non bn). Might pick up Le Doulos if only to complete my JP Melville collection.
Old 07-22-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
...Picked up Le Samourai at another retailer for $3 though (non bn)...
Wow... what retailer had Le Samourai for $3?
Old 07-22-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used a coupon and some borders bucks I had lying in the account.
Old 07-23-10, 09:21 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I had really good luck yesterday using the $5 off $50 on the $29.99 titles (dropped them down to about $12.50 each) and using the $5 off $20. I got 4 separate orders before running out of $29.99 titles. In past sales I've always targeted the higher priced discs, so a lot of these 'budget' releases have slipped under my radar. Almost all are blind-buys for me, but I figure at these prices if I don't like the movie I can re-sell on Amazon and it'll be a free rental.

BTW, if anyone's interested, Burlington, NC store still had a copy of Man Who Fell to Earth as of 7/22/2010.

Peter

Last edited by Proglodite; 07-23-10 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-23-10, 09:35 AM

Picked up Ikiru as a blind buy, really excited about watching it.
Old 07-23-10, 11:09 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
Not sure if it was mentioned already, but I read on the criterion forum that criterion confirmed that Pandora's Box and Passion of Joan of Arc will be coming on blu 2011.
Thanks. Just bought Joan the other day. Will return.
Old 07-23-10, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
Not sure if it was mentioned already, but I read on the criterion forum that criterion confirmed that Pandora's Box and Passion of Joan of Arc will be coming on blu 2011.
I wonder if that means they found a new print of Joan. If not, they've got a lot of restoration work to do between now and 2011.
Old 07-23-10, 11:49 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Regarding blind-buys - aside from Kurosawa, almost all my Criterions have been blind buys over the years...but many have turned into favorite films and/or directors. Two years ago I took a chance on Ozu...even though most of the reviews were off-putting (slow paced family-oriented dramas). Ozu is now one of my favorite directors. Fellini is one I had a hard time in the beginning - La Dolce Vita and Casanova did nothing for me...but I tried again and hit pay dirt with Nights of Cabiria and La Strada...and more recently Ginger and Fred. I've since revisited La Dolce Vita and appreciate it a little more. In this current sale I decided to get 8 1/2 on blu-ray even though I didn't connect with the film when I bought the DVD last November (and subsequently sold it).

I'm picking up a lot of the French new-wave directors this time around (Goddard, Melville, etc) even though I'm only luke-warm on Breathless and 400 Blows (I enjoyed watching both, but at this stage not films I'd consider part of my permanent collection).

So the point I'm making is sometimes blind buys are the only way to go - there have certainly been plenty of films that on the surface did not look like they'd appeal to me that turned into winners. I've actively avoided Last Year at Marienbad, but finally broke down yesterday and got it.

Peter
Old 07-23-10, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Wow... what retailer had Le Samourai for $3?
I'm assuming you found a used copy at some random store...and perhaps it was on VHS?
Old 07-23-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dining Dead
I'm assuming you found a used copy at some random store...and perhaps it was on VHS?
No, he said he used a gift card or somesuch.

I've always felt that's not a valid claim on price-point, given the opportunity cost of the "free" money.
Old 07-23-10, 01:08 PM

Here's my dilemna & would appreciate any insight. Wanted to present The Red Shoes on the 28th as a gift. Pre-ordered through the library site on the 13th. Stated that it was expected to ship on the 20th.

For 2 days after its release, stock status showed "Usually ships within 24 hours". However, my order still remains unshipped (the other item in the order, Days of Heaven, already shipped). I received free shipping for the entire order since it exceeded $25 requirement.

At this point, I don't care about the 10% discount I received from library site. Just want it in time. Should I cancel that portion of the order & just buy it in store? But will the other portion of the order that already shipped incur a shipping charge retroactively since the entire order total will fall under $25?

Or should I buy TRS in store & when I finally receive the online order, return it to store using the store purchase receipt? My concern is that B&N's return policy is only 14 days. If the online order really does take 2 weeks to ship, I'll be SOL (stuck with a store copy that can't be returned and if I return the online copy, will be assessed the shipping).
Old 07-23-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

B&N has plenty of copies of TRS. I special ordered mine on Monday, and picked it up on Wednesday. I would imagine you'll get your original order any day, or could get a spec. order in store in 2-3 business days. In short, I wouldn't worry about their 14 day policy.
Old 07-23-10, 01:18 PM

Picked up Le Cercle Rouge and Friends of Eddie Coyle

Last edited by Undeadcow; 07-23-10 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-23-10, 01:29 PM

Thanks...I think I'll just hold onto the order. It's just a $2 savings but I'm more irritated that the order didn't ship when it showed in stock (or synonymous) and those that ordered on or after the release date already received shipping notice. I guess B&N.com doesn't have a 1st in/1st out policy in place?

I hate to return items, so I'll just let the recipient know to expect a delayed gift.

Actually, at this point, more than $2 savings by keeping the online order. If I bought it in store & canceled that part of the order, I'd be dinged the $2.98 shipping for Days of Heaven. So a total of almost $5 if I canceled & bought in store.

Last edited by duofold; 07-23-10 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-23-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On the 14 day policy, I'm pretty sure that it is 14 days from which you recieve the product and not 14 days after which it is originally order and shipped.

Are you planning to use a $5 coupon? Anyway, I'm pretty sure you can return it whenever you get it.
Old 07-23-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I've always felt that's not a valid claim on price-point, given the opportunity cost of the "free" money.
Yeah, it's not remotely valid. The cost was $3 plus however much was on the gift card.
Old 07-23-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by duofold
Thanks...I think I'll just hold onto the order. It's just a $2 savings but I'm more irritated that the order didn't ship when it showed in stock (or synonymous) and those that ordered on or after the release date already received shipping notice. I guess B&N.com doesn't have a 1st in/1st out policy in place?

I hate to return items, so I'll just let the recipient know to expect a delayed gift.

Actually, at this point, more than $2 savings by keeping the online order. If I bought it in store & canceled that part of the order, I'd be dinged the $2.98 shipping for Days of Heaven. So a total of almost $5 if I canceled & bought in store.
I'm wondering if B&N gives higher consideration to members when it comes to online orders. I ordered mine Wednesday night and received a shipping confirmation yesterday.
Old 07-23-10, 02:27 PM

My thoughts exactly...or it's entirely arbitrary. But I believe the former. Good for members, sucks for me.
Old 07-23-10, 02:32 PM

I'm not a member and I received mine in a timely manner...I did check to make sure all said available within 24 hours.

Just received one on my orders today and got Last Year at Marienbad digipack (not sure if it comes in standard blu case?) but the bottom portion is crushed and torn a bit. Can I take it to a store and get an even exchange or do I have to return online?
Old 07-23-10, 02:45 PM

Was able to use multiple $5 coupons via multiple transactions thanks to the nice girl at the counter. I picked up:
Secret Honor $14.xx
Battle of Algiers $18.xx

I think i'm done this sale. Also my B&N had at least 5 blu-rays of the Red Shoes, hopefully more show up at other stores for those still looking.
Old 07-23-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stiroe
I'm not a member and I received mine in a timely manner...I did check to make sure all said available within 24 hours.

Just received one on my orders today and got Last Year at Marienbad digipack (not sure if it comes in standard blu case?) but the bottom portion is crushed and torn a bit. Can I take it to a store and get an even exchange or do I have to return online?
Take the receipt/packing slip and go exchange it in store (assuming there is a copy in store). Less hassle than returning online.

Did anyone else who ordered a copy of Black Narcissus (for in store pickup) get a cancellation notice? I got one today and the clerk at my local bn said that there were zero copies left at the distribution center.

Bummer guess I'll have to order online or wait till november.
Old 07-23-10, 03:56 PM

Got Red Shoes, Brakhage Anthology, Mystery Train, and Gomorrah, all Blu.

Got the coupon used on Brakhage, not on the others but I didn't really push. I think I'm done, bring on November.
Old 07-23-10, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up Le Doulos today with a coupon, and had them order Mafioso to the store. I've had success with using a coupon on every title so far, and after this last one comes in, I'm done until November. I caught a bug and spent way too much money this sale. I should've stopped earlier, but I wanted to pick up all these Studio Canal titles now just in case.
Old 07-23-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

After I ordered my new Blu discs, I offered to give my brother-in-law, who is a big movie fan, but more of the Will Farrell and Adam Sandler type, my Criterion DVDs that I've replaced. He declined, saying, "I've never heard of any of those movies!"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.