Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Criterion Sale? Ever Again? (NOW ACTIVE/ALIVE AT B&N)

I'm planning on purchasing 12 of the 14 Blu-rays on my wish list (I can wait on Brakhage and Paris, Texas double-dips) plus the Rossellini box and the upcoming Ozu double-feature.
Old 05-06-10, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by illennium
Let me guess... 5th Avenue?
After three separate rejections on different days, I just skip the location. The Lincoln Triangle would only approve the $5 off transaction on titles that were then selling at $20 ($39.99 MSRP). Didn't ever try to push my luck with the $5 off $50 + $5 off DVD over $20 in a single multiple titles purchase; just had them ring up each buy sepately.
Old 05-06-10, 02:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I know this isn't about the sale or even about Barnes and Noble - but I find it deplorable that Borders raises the prices over the MSRP by two dollars (and I know that's not new news) talk about total assholes - the occasional 40% coupon aren't worth it in my opinion [rant over] And the fact that my neighborhood Borders has little to no Criterion blurays makes B&N the obvious place to buy them since they actually stock them.

on topic though, I'm just itching to buy Letters from Fontainhas !!!!!!

Last edited by Giles; 05-06-10 at 02:29 AM.
Old 05-06-10, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
After three separate rejections on different days, I just skip the location.
Yeah, I'm never going back to that store. At the time of the last sale there were two different $5 coupons, with two different barcodes, and I had just purchased a B&N membership so I actually received both coupons. I used one of them, then came back later in the week to use the other. The same manager was on duty both times, and he recognized me and acted like I was trying to rob the store by using both coupons.

The Lincoln Triangle would only approve the $5 off transaction on titles that were then selling at $20 ($39.99 MSRP). Didn't ever try to push my luck with the $5 off $50 + $5 off DVD over $20 in a single multiple titles purchase; just had them ring up each buy separately.
Were you able to do the $5/$5/$5 thing at any of the NYC stores? I can't tell if you mean you didn't do it at Lincoln Center or at any of the stores. I just didn't bother with it anywhere -- I could see it easily turning into a situation where a manager is called to figure out WTF to do and decides to invalidate the whole transaction.
Old 05-06-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Let me guess... 5th Avenue?
You got it! I would have left, but they actually had a copy of The Third Man in the clear plastic case, so I paid the $20 or so for it (sold my cardboard packaging copy to make up the difference and then some).

My first round of the sale was a huge success at the Tribeca store when a kindly clerk scanned like 7 items for me as separate transactions. I went back, new person only allowed me to buy 1 title.

Union Square had to do the whole "call a manager" bit, but agreed. Nothing like being made to feel like a scam artist for simply using a coupon in accordance with its terms.
Old 05-06-10, 01:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by biglou114
Let's hope this is a late July sale. The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus would like to enter my collection sooner than later.
My money would be on the sale ending RIGHT before these come out. As was the case with the last sale and the new Criterion releases of that month.
Old 05-06-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by smirnoffski
My money would be on the sale ending RIGHT before these come out. As was the case with the last sale and the new Criterion releases of that month.
I think there is a good chance these will make it on to the sale if the start and end dates this year are similar to last year. Last years sale started around mid July and ended August 2. Criterions released during the sale generally qualify for the sale prices. Last year I was able to get a order in for Repulsion online with a coupon before the sale ended. It qualified for the sale even though it was released a few days before the August end date.
Old 05-06-10, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Were you able to do the $5/$5/$5 thing at any of the NYC stores? I can't tell if you mean you didn't do it at Lincoln Center or at any of the stores. I just didn't bother with it anywhere -- I could see it easily turning into a situation where a manager is called to figure out WTF to do and decides to invalidate the whole transaction.
I never tried to use the combined deal for one purchase over $50 because my buys were usually rung up individually and one of the $5/$5/$5 = $50+ was for a CD I recall. The CD prices for the catalog items I wanted were so much higher in store that I just bought them online.
However, a clerk on 86th St. did ring up mutliple buys on one receipt but I didn't try to push my luck as she already had manager approval to accept one $5 off per title purchased.
Old 05-07-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

first store I went to on the first day I got an older guy who stared at the coupon like I was a counterfeiter, got his manager, and they finally let me use it on ONE dvd - and I had Human Condition on hold, so that was fine. went back to that store the next day and got a younger guy who didn't care in the least and happily rang up 4 separate transactions with $5 off each one and joined in my exultation at the awesome deal.

2nd store I hit 5 or 6 times once they didn't seem eager to use multiple coupons, once I got a girl that would have rang up 20 if I wanted to, and 3 times I did 2 or 3 transactions with different clerks and said things like "this one is for my dad, and this one is for me" kind of things.

FWIW, I have been buying $25 gcs from Speedway and getting 500 points on my speedway card for each one. Does two things: Makes it easier to save up for the sale as I now have 6 of them for the sale, and buying a bunch of them in the last 6 months in addition to getting my gas there gave me enough points for a $25 gas card too Just a nice little bonus to think about since you can buy those at various stores now and some offer different deals with them.
Old 05-08-10, 12:08 PM

Hmmm. Good idea, I might have to try that at Speedway.
Old 05-10-10, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

looking at the new batch of $5 coupons, they have changed them: they previously read "$5 off any dvd priced $20 or more BEFORE members or other discounts" - but now reads $5 off "a minimum selling price of $20...deducted AFTER all other discounts, including the standard member discount, are applied"

Which means they won't be usable at all since the price for members is $18 and $13.50....and you have to be a member to use the coupons. It would seem the change is a direct response to the abuse of them during the last sale. bummer.

So no more $14 blu rays...looks like $18 will be the best we can expect. Of course, you could still get an extra $5 off higher priced sets, like the Leopard blu or box sets...but that's it. Or by 3 or 4 at a time to get the $5 off $50. But they were smart and reworked them in direct response to the largess of the last two sales.
Old 05-10-10, 09:07 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by brizz
looking at the new batch of $5 coupons, they have changed them: they previously read "$5 off any dvd priced $20 or more BEFORE members or other discounts" - but now reads $5 off "a minimum selling price of $20...deducted AFTER all other discounts, including the standard member discount, are applied"

Which means they won't be usable at all since the price for members is $18 and $13.50....and you have to be a member to use the coupons. It would seem the change is a direct response to the abuse of them during the last sale. bummer.

So no more $14 blu rays...looks like $18 will be the best we can expect. Of course, you could still get an extra $5 off higher priced sets, like the Leopard blu or box sets...but that's it. Or by 3 or 4 at a time to get the $5 off $50. But they were smart and reworked them in direct response to the largess of the last two sales.
I think you're reading that wrong, or not reading enough.

The coupon is the exact same as last year. The next line after your quote is, 'The B&N Selling price is the price at the cash registers before taxes and discounts, including the standard member discount, are applied."
Old 05-10-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I really think Trevor is right but I was shot down several times attempting to use the coupon with this language. The "B&S" staff told me that the Criterion sale was a temporary reduction in selling price, not a discount in original price, so therefore per the coupon language it was not valid. Apparently, they were directed towards this viewpoint from a corporate office.

However, I had better luck on only one occassion at a different location so YMMV.

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think you're reading that wrong, or not reading enough.

The coupon is the exact same as last year. The next line after your quote is, 'The B&N Selling price is the price at the cash registers before taxes and discounts, including the standard member discount, are applied."
Old 05-10-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i'd love to be wrong....but it's worded very oddly, and I suspect there will be tougher going this time due to people abusing them last time (myself included!). I just think this one will be a YMMV much more so than the last.

There was a groovy 25% off coupon last time too that was usable on line iirc. hopefully something like that reappears....then Rossellini's War Trilogy will be mine for $30
Old 05-10-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Trevor is right, there is no difference at all in the coupon. The wording can be confusing, but its all about how you approach the person at the register. Thats why I've never had a problem in the past using a ton of these coupons.
Old 05-10-10, 06:30 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I think this discussion has taken the place of the Deep Discount will there or won't there be a 20% or 25% off sale. Since that sale was replaced with a 40% off list sale there doesn't seem to be any talk about it. We do love to anticipate
our sales.
Old 05-10-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

^ Largely because the B&N sales came up rather unexpectedly, and in somewhat rapid succession.

Add to that the incredible deals to be had when combining coupons and membership discount on these (normally) expensive titles, and you can understand the buzz!
Old 05-14-10, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this month's Criterion email newsletter has a coupon code that takes a further 10% off prices
Old 05-17-10, 07:11 PM

If the sale is indeed to occur again during July, I hope it begins in late July so that it'll run through August 10 when Criterion releases Crumb.
Old 05-23-10, 05:18 PM

I stopped in a Barnes & Noble today in Cedar Rapids and inquired about a Criterion sale. The lady told me they had one a couple months ago, but check back because it was really popular and they would most likely have another. I don't recall seeing anything listed about a sale recently though. Maybe I just missed the memo?
Old 05-23-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

See post #49.
Old 06-10-10, 10:12 AM

The Criterion 50% Off Sale at Barnes & Noble will start July 20, 2010. My guess is that it will only last 2 weeks.
Old 06-10-10, 10:22 AM

They would start it just as I'm going on my summer vacation.
Old 06-10-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tlivesay
The Criterion 50% Off Sale at Barnes & Noble will start July 20, 2010. My guess is that it will only last 2 weeks.
Sweet. I'll be able to grab Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes this go round.
Old 06-10-10, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Damn, Crumb won't be out yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.