Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Criterion Sale? Ever Again? (NOW ACTIVE/ALIVE AT B&N)

I just checked with my nearest store re: tomorrow's releases. The dept. manager said they would not be getting any of the titles in, so I had him special order one of each. Should have 'em in two...tree bid'ness days.
Old 07-19-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I had completely ignored the EAH releases until the other day, when, complete Criterion list in hand for the first time, I noticed that they released some films only in EAH versions. I've been buying them now, which probably guarantees that they'll get a full Criterion release in the future.
I just noticed this too last week. Is there a list of EAH that are not available through the other collections?
Old 07-19-10, 10:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
I just noticed this too last week. Is there a list of EAH that are not available through the other collections?
The Criterion site does a good job of listing that series with the regular Criterion spine #, if any. Here's the link.

Edit to add: And here's a list of titles that looks complete, unless the big boxset includes something not released individually.

Floating Weeds (but released as #232 as a two film set)
Kapo
Last Holiday
Gervaise
Mayerling
Le Jour se lève

Last edited by Trevor; 07-19-10 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-19-10, 02:09 PM

Figured I'd ask this, not sure if anyone knows for sure or its just a YMMV.

I bought a few titles and stubbornly didn't research about the membership and $5 off coupons. I know I can go back, pay for a membership, and get the 10% member discount retroactively applied to the purchase, but would I also be able to swing getting the $5 off coupons applied as well?
Old 07-19-10, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Scotts35
Figured I'd ask this, not sure if anyone knows for sure or its just a YMMV.

I bought a few titles and stubbornly didn't research about the membership and $5 off coupons. I know I can go back, pay for a membership, and get the 10% member discount retroactively applied to the purchase, but would I also be able to swing getting the $5 off coupons applied as well?
Either way you'd have to do a return/re-purchase, even if only "virtually", so I'd try it.

But I think this would work better, talking coupons with customer service has a bigger chance of trouble: Go in and buy them again with your new membership, attempting to use the coupons. Then immediately return them with your old receipt.
Old 07-19-10, 04:09 PM

I have Wings of Desire (BD) and The Seventh Seal (BD) sitting in my cart, which are 2 of the other 4 films I want to get. I already checked M to see if it worked with my Blu-ray player (it has some outdated firmware) and it worked, but I'm concerned about other (past, current, future) BD Criterion purchases and that is the only thing preventing me from pressing the Order button. Decisions, decisions...
Old 07-19-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaSokolov
I have Wings of Desire (BD) and The Seventh Seal (BD) sitting in my cart, which are 2 of the other 4 films I want to get. I already checked M to see if it worked with my Blu-ray player (it has some outdated firmware) and it worked, but I'm concerned about other (past, current, future) BD Criterion purchases and that is the only thing preventing me from pressing the Order button. Decisions, decisions...
What blu-ray player you have? How come u don't update the firmware?
Old 07-19-10, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by nando820
What blu-ray player you have? How come u don't update the firmware?
It's a Sharp Aquos BD player, BDHP20U. Got it for like $150 quite some time back (ie. year and a half at least) back, hasn't let me down too much aside from a few movies here and there. As for why I haven't, never crossed my mind to do it and now that I made the plan to do it, they don't offer this player anymore or well, make it. Wasn't aware I had to update the darn thing like a computer every so often.
Old 07-19-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stupid question of the day: Since my local store doesn't have a DVD/BD section, can they order titles for me in-store and have them shipped to the store, where I can pick them up? It would save me about 2 hours of driving to the nearest store that carries DVD/BDs.
Old 07-19-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Tried the $5 off coupon on a $29.99 title for the first time tonight. ...So she typed something in and said she would try it and she scanned the coupon and said "hmm, it worked". The point being the coupon did end up working somehow by being scanned.
I ended up running back to the store right before it closed so that I could use that 15% off one before it expired on Divorce, Italian Style.
I still had a $5 one in my pocket, and hadn't dealt with the cashier on duty then during this sale yet so I figured I might as well give it a shot.
He took it, no questions, immediately punched a code in and then scanned it- and it took. Surprised but happy as hell. That makes me 3 for 7 on the $5 off coupons.
It would be nice to still be able to use them for last couple of purchases this week, but as soon as I count on using them, I'm sure I'll get shot down again.

Originally Posted by brizz
if you liked S&A you'll love Divorce, Italian Style - it's a true classic and absolutely hilarious. A gem of the collection for sure.
It sounds great from the premise- and I love black comedies. probably won't get around to watching it for a while, but I'm glad it's on the shelf for when the time is right.
Old 07-19-10, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Stupid question of the day: Since my local store doesn't have a DVD/BD section, can they order titles for me in-store and have them shipped to the store, where I can pick them up? It would save me about 2 hours of driving to the nearest store that carries DVD/BDs.
Yes.
Old 07-19-10, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Either way you'd have to do a return/re-purchase, even if only "virtually", so I'd try it.

But I think this would work better, talking coupons with customer service has a bigger chance of trouble: Go in and buy them again with your new membership, attempting to use the coupons. Then immediately return them with your old receipt.
Well, went in and bought a membership, got the 10% off my purchases. I asked that since I got the discount retroactively if I could get this coupon I just so happened to matter of fact have on me as well. The manager took the 5 off 20, looked at it and said "Yeah this could work on a lot of these, hold on." I thought I had gotten all 5 blus with the discount but he only did one, Che, since it was $22.50 after discount.

I wasn't going to argue or anything, I'm actually glad he did Che as its the only one I opened. I would've tried returning the ones I had but with exception of Ride With The Devil there were no other copies at the store. I'll try riding around tomorrow to see what I can find.
Old 07-19-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaSokolov
why? i'm only aware of one disc having any issues at all - Walkabout - and that was only on certain players, which if you have they'll replace the disc with a newly pressed one. It's not like half the collection won't play on older players. That's kind of a silly reason not to buy them.
Old 07-19-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scotts35
I thought I had gotten all 5 blus with the discount but he only did one, Che, since it was $22.50 after discount.
You mean before discount, right?
Old 07-20-10, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just when I thought I understood the MSRP structure of Criterion titles, I hit on an anomoly. The new Seventh Seal release is a two disc set with a commentary track and even another film included (Bergman's Island) with a list price of $29.99 in SD. So I picked up that one instead of the BluRay for $39.99 seeing as how I haven't bought a BluRay player yet.
Old 07-20-10, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hit my first minor snag on Sunday (always the middle-aged and up white women in retail for some reason). Went with my g/f to a BN near her apartment and tried to snag 4 $29.99 MSRP titles w/$5 Off coupon.

So I go up to the register with 4 in hand, ask the woman to run them as separate transactions (she says sure), then she begins ringing them up after I hand over my membership card and a coupon. Normally, when this happens the cashier just scans the single coupon with each transaction and that's that. So she does one with the coupon no problem, but refuses to do the rest with the coupon.

So I say, fine, then I want this one (Dillinger is Dead) instead of the first title she scanned. And my g/f will be purchasing this one (Mafioso). So, apparently the pathetic ruse of simply saying my g/f was purchasing Mafioso made it ok for her to scan my membership card again, take another coupon from me, and run the transaction as I swiped my card again. My g/f never even approached the register, she just stood where she had been the entire time.

It was so farcical. I wish there were more customers around the register so I could have pointed to them and said they were buying the other titles too since apparently all that was required for this woman to run the multiple transactions was another body in the vicinity of my own.

Didn't walk out angry, but my g/f and I certainly had a chuckle over the farce that had just taken place.
Old 07-20-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My wishlist is longer, but I have these narrowed down to what I may purchase before this sale ends, so I'm looking for some feedback. I'm hoping the sale happens again in November, which will help me hold off even more now.

BDs: M & Hunger
DVDs: The Killers, Downhill Racer, Lady Vanishes

I really only want to buy a couple of those and just wait for another sale. I'm leaning towards M and Downhill Racer.
Old 07-20-10, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
My wishlist is longer, but I have these narrowed down to what I may purchase before this sale ends, so I'm looking for some feedback. I'm hoping the sale happens again in November, which will help me hold off even more now.

BDs: M & Hunger
DVDs: The Killers, Downhill Racer, Lady Vanishes

I really only want to buy a couple of those and just wait for another sale. I'm leaning towards M and Downhill Racer.
I agree with Camel those 2 are a must the others .... I had Killers and guess it just wasn't for me so I sold it. Can't say much about Hunger and Downhill Racer as I have never seen them nor have they attracted my interest.

I may as well ask I am thinking about getting Last Year at Marienbad BLU and A Night to Remember. Any recommendation either way?

Last edited by stiroe; 07-20-10 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-20-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by BambooLounge

I wish there were more customers around the register so I could have pointed to them and said they were buying the other titles too since apparently all that was required for this woman to run the multiple transactions was another body in the vicinity of my own.

You see my 3rd cousin over there browsing the CD section? Well he is buying this copy of Naked Lunch.

Last edited by Maxflier; 07-20-10 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-20-10, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
M and Lady Vanishes. Both are no-brainers.
Agree 100%. M may not be something you revisit over and over, but it's a very important piece of cinema. The Lady Vanishes, on the other hand, is very entertaining and ranks up there with Hitchcock's best. The Lady Vanishes, in my opinion, is the best of the Hitchcock Criterions (ranking this solely on the quality of the film, not the special features).
Old 07-20-10, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My order for the Red Shoes and Black Narcissus are on the way and scheduled to get delivered tomorrow. I decided to order online instead of trying to find them at a store. I think I'm done with the sale.
Old 07-20-10, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
My order for the Red Shoes and Black Narcissus are on the way and scheduled to get delivered tomorrow. I decided to order online instead of trying to find them at a store. I think I'm done with the sale.
My order of TRS has been delayed "at least 1-5 business days". I have a feeling B&N (and perhaps Criterion themselves) underestimated the demand for the new P&P re-releases.
Old 07-20-10, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
I too wondered if these two titles would be in-store today.

Last Saturday, I did an online "Pick Me Up" in-store for "Paris, Texas" on blu. When I got to the store, they'd pulled the DVD by mistake, and were unable to find the blu anywhere, despite the system saying it was in stock. So the fellow working (who had allowed me to do two separate $5 off transactions at the same time earlier in the week) ordered the blu for me.

At about midnight last night, I got an email saying "Paris, Texas" blu-ray was in. This morning I checked, and according to the website, both "Black Narcissus" & "Red Shoes" were in-store on blu. So I set off for the store.

It was very quiet - only me and the lady working. Red Shoes blu was already on display. I asked her if Black Narcissus blu was around. She quickly found it. With my reserved copy of Paris, Texas, that would be three separate $5 coupon transactions. I asked her if I could do that, and she was absolutely fine with it. I thanked her for being so helpful with the coupons and she thanked me for the business.

I've found the B&N staff to be nothing but friendly and helpful during this sale. Before the sale kicked in, I thought I've have to use one coupon each visit, so have been very pleasantly surprised by the staff's helpful attitude. I've bought nine titles since last Tuesday, and think I'm done! What a fantastic sale!
Old 07-20-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^
I was checking local store inventory online this morning and didn't see many stores showing it in stock, and none of them were close that said they had it. It could be a lot of stores have them but have not updated the online information yet.

Also I didn't feel like making a special trip since the closest B&N stores are about 15 to 20 miles away, and there is no guarantee they will accept the $5 coupons even though I had good luck last week four different times. I figured ordering online was the quickest easiest way to get Red Shoes and Black Narcissus on blu even though I paid a little more.
Old 07-20-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

No "Red Shoes" in blu at the Lincoln Center Store in NYC. They said they only got one or two copies. They had one SD of the film. They expect more by the end of the week. I did get Black Narcissus in blu at the store. They were keeping the copies behind the cashier counter instead of in the Criterion section. I didn't notice them there. I happened to ask if both films had arrived since I didn't see them.

Sad that a much loved classic film like the "Red Shoes" would be under ordered.

Odd thing is after I wrote the above I saw Lasermovies post about checking in store inventory.
The Lincoln Center store is showing that they do have inventory of Red Shoes in blu. It may be outdated info but I requested they hold a copy for me since they are so close to my office. I will see if I get a confirmation that it is in stock.

And at 1:30 PM I got a confirmation e-mail that the store does have it in stock and that they are holding it for me until 7/23/10. I guess the cashier told me the wrong information.

I picked up my copy of the Red Shoes blu. Seems they came in shortly after I was at the store
at noon. The Lincoln Center store had about 6 copies of the blu-ray. They are kept behind the cashier, like Black Narcissus, and not in the Criterion section at this store. Also picked up the Criterion of "Make Way For Tomorrow"

Last edited by Classic Films; 07-20-10 at 02:27 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.