Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Old 11-12-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Neither of the 2 closest stores to me got anything new for this coming week.
Would have been nice with the sale.
Old 11-12-10, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checked 3 stores (Colonie, Amsterdam, Utica NY) stores over the last couple days, they all have pretty much the same stuff(nothing different than what's been posted). Saw a couple box sets mixed in with the $5/$6 DVDs at the Utica, NY store though.

Didn't find House Arrest at any of them, then went on line and noticed there are more than one of the same title...for those of you who found it, was it the one with Jamie Lee Curtis?
Old 11-12-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by supermike07
Didn't find House Arrest at any of them, then went on line and noticed there are more than one of the same title...for those of you who found it, was it the one with Jamie Lee Curtis?
Yes ,I saw this a few weeks back with Jamie Lee Curtis.
Old 11-12-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
no TV sets, but the $3 DVDs rang up 5/$10. Supposedly today only.
This should be today thru the 14th from the e-mail ad I received and posted about before. And you confirmed my thoughts--it's not a public sale from ads, but rather a Buzz Club promotion and it would just ring up this way. I was actually at a store this morning looking for the $6 sets and thought I'd bring 5 DVDs up to the register to see if they'd ring up this way. I literally walked out empty handed when I had a horrible time trying to come up with 5 titles I wanted.

What made matters worse was this store's display was a mixed collection of $5 titles, $6 two-packs and now $9 three-packs and such. It was very difficult to just browse the $3 selections, even more so to find something of interest that I didn't already have.
Old 11-12-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Horse Racing Fans!!!!!

I was in a BL today and something caught my eye... an ESPN three pack for 3.00, on one side was And 1 Mixtape X, the other was Sportscenter Year in Review 2006. In the middle was Ruffian. I almost bought this when it came out at walmart but it was 14.99 and that was lower than on-line stores. I remember checking like over a year ago and no online store had it listed so I figureded it was OOP which I guess it is. The extras look really good.
Old 11-12-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
This should be today thru the 14th from the e-mail ad I received and posted about before. And you confirmed my thoughts--it's not a public sale from ads, but rather a Buzz Club promotion and it would just ring up this way. I was actually at a store this morning looking for the $6 sets and thought I'd bring 5 DVDs up to the register to see if they'd ring up this way. I literally walked out empty handed when I had a horrible time trying to come up with 5 titles I wanted.

What made matters worse was this store's display was a mixed collection of $5 titles, $6 two-packs and now $9 three-packs and such. It was very difficult to just browse the $3 selections, even more so to find something of interest that I didn't already have.
I confirmed the same thing with the manager at mine today. We tried 5 $3 titles and it wouldn't work. I'm curious if anyone knows if the people who were targeted for this limited promotion were big spenders or small spenders?

Yes, I hate the way everything is mixed together too. I've mentioned it a few times at the store, but I doubt they'll ever do anything about it. I noticed more titles I've seen at $3 now marked at $5. I assume they don't resticker them so newer batches get higher prices. I'm just too cheap to buy anything over $3, so if they creep all the $3 titles up to $5 then I'll buy about as many $5 DVDs from Big Lots as I do $5 DVDs from Walmart (i.e. very few).
Old 11-12-10, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Went down to one of the local Big Lots and saw the following $6 box sets (some of which were previously mentioned):

Brady Bunch (Season 2)
Cheers (Season 3)
CSI (Season 2)
CSI: Miami (Season 1)
Hawaii Five-O (Season 3)
J*A*G (Season 5)
Matlock (Season 2)
Melrose Place (Season 5)
Mork & Mindy (Season 2)
Odd Couple (Season 2)
Police Squad (Complete Series)
Sabrina (Season 4)
Seventh Heaven (Season 5)
Seventh Heaven (Season 6)
Twin Peaks (Season 2)
My store had that same list as above except they also had:
Cheers (Season 9)
Hawaii Five-O (Season 6)
Hawaii Five-O (Season 7)
Joan of Arcadia (Season 1)
Magyver (Season 4)
Mission Impossible (Season 5)

And they did not have Hawaii Five-O Season 3, Happy Days S4, Love Boat, or 90210. The Perry Mason I saw didn't look like a series but some movie.

What a WEIRD selection of titles. I bought many of them even though I haven't watched HFO or MI for decades, nor have I ever seen CSI, Joan of Arcadia, Sabrina or 7th Heaven. Besides the ones I already had, I skipped JAG, Matlock, and Magyver (every time I hear Matlock I think of Abe Simpson and every time I hear Magyver I think of Patty & Selma). The reason I bought so many: my buy first, decide later policy. The receipt says I have until Jan. 15th to decide, so I'll wait until I get some time in December to read reviews first. It would probably be tough for me to jump into Sabrina or 7th Heaven, for instance, without having seen the prior seasons. The cynic in me says that Knowing Jan. 15th is the return deadline, I think it's a safe bet we won't be seeing any more 20% off days until at least Jan. 16th. How I'd love to get 20% off on these.

Has anybody found any of the other seasons? In other words, is each store getting basically the same weird selection or are stores getting different seasons? So far it looks mostly the same.

Originally Posted by bigjim25
Was Melrose Place Season 5 both parts or were they seperated? I'm looking for several of the ones you guys are posting but more than likely mine won't have them> I'd love to find Brady Bunch, Hawaii Five-O, Matlock, Odd Couple, Sabrina, Love Boat.
Melrose Place S5 was just Vol. 1 (separated) at my store, so I didn't touch it.

Last edited by Manzana; 11-12-10 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-12-10, 06:53 PM
Cool New Member

Here is everything that I found today. Most of these were at one location (Louisville, Shelbyville Road):

Melrose Place (S1, S2, S3, S4 S5V1, S5V2)
CSI (S2, S3, S7)
CSI Miami (S2)
CSI NY (S2, S3, S4)
Bosom Buddies (S1)
The Fugitive (S1V1, S2V1)
The Love Boat (S1V2)
Hawaii Five-O (S1, S7)
The Daily Show: Indecision 2004
The Beverly Hillbillies (S2)
Cheers (S3, S9)
Beverly Hills, 90210 (S4)
90210 (The CW one) (S1)
Rawhide (don't remember which one)
Family Ties (S1, S2, S4)
Laverne & Shirley (S2)
Gomer Pyle (S4)
Perry Mason (S3V1, 50th Anniversary, and perhaps others... didn't really look at them too much because I have them already)
7th Heaven (S3)
Sabrina, the Teenage Witch (S2, S3)

And there were more... those are just the ones that I can remember off top of my head.
Old 11-12-10, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana
I confirmed the same thing with the manager at mine today. We tried 5 $3 titles and it wouldn't work. I'm curious if anyone knows if the people who were targeted for this limited promotion were big spenders or small spenders?
I am not sure. I am an in between spender to be honest. I assumed everyone in the buzz club got the email.
I received the email from them it was a black friday buzz club special that ran 12-14. there were 9-10 thing listed besides the movies and it stated they were no clip coupons just had to scan the reward card.
Old 11-12-10, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by skees53
Here is everything that I found today. Most of these were at one location (Louisville, Shelbyville Road):

Melrose Place (S1, S2, S3, S4 S5V1, S5V2)
CSI (S2, S3, S7)
CSI Miami (S2)
CSI NY (S2, S3, S4)
Bosom Buddies (S1)
The Fugitive (S1V1, S2V1)
The Love Boat (S1V2)
Hawaii Five-O (S1, S7)
The Daily Show: Indecision 2004
The Beverly Hillbillies (S2)
Cheers (S3, S9)
Beverly Hills, 90210 (S4)
90210 (The CW one) (S1)
Rawhide (don't remember which one)
Family Ties (S1, S2, S4)
Laverne & Shirley (S2)
Gomer Pyle (S4)
Perry Mason (S3V1, 50th Anniversary, and perhaps others... didn't really look at them too much because I have them already)
7th Heaven (S3)
Sabrina, the Teenage Witch (S2, S3)

And there were more... those are just the ones that I can remember off top of my head.
i cant get over there until tomorrow or sunday so hope some are still left! or hope the southern indiana ones gets them in.
Old 11-12-10, 08:01 PM

I can't wait untill California gets these box sets. it's almost as good as summer of 09
Old 11-12-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
...A question for anyone who knows. I think I'm one purchase away from a 20% Buzz Club discount. Can my 10th and qualifying purchase be made and then my discount taken on a purchase the very same day? I know 2 qualifying purchases have to be made on different days, wasn't sure about the discount. If I stumble upon these box sets, I'd give thought to earning my discount and redeemeding it during the same visit.
You can make your 10th purchase and then take the 20% discount later on the same day. I did that once.

I'm not sure how long exactly it takes for the 20% discount option to be added to one's account. If I remember correctly, on the day I made my 10th purchase I went home less than an hour later and checked my Big Lots account online and saw that the purchase was credited to me I had the 20% reward available. So I went back to Big Lots later that day and used it.
Keep in mind that if you use the 20% on a day in which you've not made a qualifying purchase the 20% off purchase counts as a qualifying purchase as long as the final total is $20+.
Old 11-12-10, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Wow! There are some really good titles in those lists of TV sets! I went by the one and only store within 70 miles here only to come up empty handed... but I alerted the checkers and stockers to be on the lookout for me!
Old 11-12-10, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana
Melrose Place S5 was just Vol. 1 (separated) at my store, so I didn't touch it.
MELROSE PLACE Season 5 was released in two separate sets (Vol 1 and Vol 2) not as one unit so they are not going to be bundled together for a Big Lots overstock sale that's for sure. I would gladly pay $6 for half a season of this - I've never seen it anywhere for under $20 even in past Black Friday / Christmas /25 percent off sales. I only have the first three seasons but nothing after that has ever been substantially discounted anywhere before from what I've seen.

I went to my local Big Lots and they FINALLY got several of the Paramount titles - SORRY WRONG NUMBER, LIPSTICK, BAD COMPANY, FANCY PANTS, A NEW KIND OF LOVING, etc. for $3. I only bought SWN; I bought FP and BC years ago.
Old 11-12-10, 09:09 PM

Well, thanks to skees53's list which shows a bunch of other good titles, it now appears that stores are getting different batches (reminiscent of those Warner $3 and $6 box set sales long ago), so I'm going to try to swing by the other 4 Big Lots in my normal travel paths in the next few days. I don't have time to drive around town to all of them on the same day, so I'll probably go to 1 each day as I'm doing other errands. There's nothing worse (to me) than making a special trip somewhere and coming back empty-handed.
Old 11-12-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2 updates:

1. Pearl (Tacoma WA) gave me bad info on the phone. They had a new batch of $3 Sony/Columbia's with a new yellow price tag. Either weak titles or else they were picked through by the time I got to them.

2. The $2 add says limit of 10. First store i went to let me buy 15 (all that I tried to buy) & the 2nd store would only go $2 on the first 5.
Old 11-12-10, 09:42 PM

I'm part of the buzz club but i didn't receive the email about the 5 for $10. I'm just wondering if this deal is available through all the stores this weekend. I would like to take advantage of this tomorrow.
Old 11-12-10, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by -TRANCE-
I'm part of the buzz club but i didn't receive the email about the 5 for $10. I'm just wondering if this deal is available through all the stores this weekend. I would like to take advantage of this tomorrow.
That's interesting. The header of the e-mail does say:

These offers are exclusive to the Buzz Club Rewards™ account associated with "[email protected]" and are not transferrable.
If it will help anyone, I copied the DVD part of the e-mail ad below (had trouble trying to get the whole page to copy).

When you click on the "tell me more" link, it just takes you to the normal DVD ad/section of their site.
Old 11-12-10, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do suspect it's tied into individual id's, which would explain the 5/15 split I got, even though the add says limit of 10 they likely set it for 20.
Old 11-13-10, 01:44 AM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

They had a few new $3 titles at a local Big Lots with plenty of copies of each:

The Anderson Tapes (Sean Connery)
The Dead Zone (Special Collector's Edition - Walken/Cronenberg)
Old Gringo (Gregory Peck)
O'Horten
St. Trinian's
Old 11-13-10, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They had a few new $3 titles at a local Big Lots with plenty of copies of each:

The Anderson Tapes (Sean Connery)
The Dead Zone (Special Collector's Edition - Walken/Cronenberg)
Old Gringo (Gregory Peck)
O'Horten
St. Trinian's
The Anderson Tapes is a cool movie ,the first batch of the Martini series are all recommended.
Old 11-13-10, 11:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I found some of the $6 TV sets. I noticed that they ring up as "DVD PARAMOUNT BF TV." I wonder if the "BF" stands for Black Friday and they may be in their Black Friday ad.
Old 11-13-10, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up a couple of the $6 TV sets today:

Sabrina the Teenage Witch S1
Friday the 13th: The Series S2
Twin Peaks S2
90210 S1 (Christmas present for my mom)

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 11-13-10 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-13-10, 01:00 PM

Still no $6 TV sets...

Saw a couple of new dvds (at least new to me):

Darling Lili D/C $5
Racing with the Moon $3
Ashes of Time Redux $3
Old 11-13-10, 02:49 PM

In Arlington, TX picked up Bang the Drum Slowly, Everybody's All-American, Best in Show and Tiger Woods 2010 for Xbox 360 ($10).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.