Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Old 09-17-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by vichyfrance
Why do they even slash the upc's?
The issues that led to "cut-outs" (physically defacing the product) for discounted LPs and CDs probably apply in the same manner for DVDs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut-out...rding_industry)

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Cut-outs are typically wholesaled to retailers as non-returnable items, meaning that the store cannot send them back to the distributor for a refund; the reason for the cut or hole in the packaging is to mark the item as non-returnable.[2] The marking also serves to prevent the retailer from selling the discounted item at full price.[1] Recording artists also typically do not get full royalties from cut-outs, since they're sold at a "promotional" cost, far less than the retail price.[1] Except for the physical damage to the liner notes and outer case, the inner disc (LP or CD) is generally unharmed by the cut-out process, and sounds the same as the originally-sold recording.
Old 09-17-10, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wish i could find the robin hood prince of thieves extended edition there. but i havent been to big lots in a couple weeks now, gonna go tonight and see if i can find it
Old 09-17-10, 03:59 PM
Cool New Member

Finally found the Margaret Cho comedy dvd 3-pack... Other than that, it seems they still have the same movies from months ago (mostly 3 packs of sports movies/documentaries).
Old 09-17-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally found "Golden Boy" (Barbara Stanwyck) at Raynham MA.
also picked up Blood Diamond 2 disc SE and "A Fine Madness" (Connery)

Raynham has totally different stock than W. Bridgewater, they had a lot of the double features but in single DVD cases unlike W.Bridgewater which had 2 DVDs wrapped together (none of that at Raynham).

I will tell you, they don't seem to be moving the product like they did when they opened last year. A lot of stuff I saw has been on those racks for Months and Months....Maybe Netflix is eating away at the Cheap deals?
Old 09-17-10, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

^Nah... the same people shopping in the same stores is more likely. They've seen 'em all and already have what they want. The rest languishes awaiting someone "new" to stumble upon them. The longer they sit the slower they seem to move. One of the checkers here told me she was instructed to mark "old stock" down. Hasn't happened yet, but she also said she had no idea how to determine what was "old stock" and was awaiting better instructions.
Old 09-17-10, 06:34 PM

my store has not got jack for the past couple of weeks

But i got

Sour Grapes $3
Whatever Works $5
Blazing Saddles $ 5
Old 09-17-10, 06:51 PM

The store I go to has a 20% off sale on everything in the store this week so I picked up:

$4.80 (6.00)
Monty Python & the Holy Grail

$4 (5.00)
Very Best of the Price is Right

$2.40 (3.00)
Safe Men
The Ground Truth
Spiderwick Chronicles 2 Disc Field Guide Edition
Peaceful Warrior
Secret Life of Words
Ice Harvest

Might go back for Rory O'Shea Was Here
Old 09-18-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

a couple of 2-packs that may interest some:
Marx Bros. - A Night In Casablanca / A Day At the Races
Shall We Dance / Barkleys of Broadway

Got the first one, but didn't get the 2nd since I owned Broadway.

No American Dreams or Multiplicity yet
Old 09-18-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bought Monty Python and the Holy Grail Collector's Edition

2-packs I bought are:

Hollywood Hotel / Varsity Show
Gold Diggers of 1937 / Gold Diggers of Paris
Numb / Then She Found Me
Powder Blue / The Secret
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore / The Outsiders
...And Justice for All / Charlie Wilson's War
The Arangement / American Pastime

With these four dvds from the 2-packs: "Hollywood Hotel", "Varsity Show", "Gold Diggers of 1937" & "Gold Diggers of Paris", that completes The Busby Berkeley Collection, Vol. 2. I already have all from Vol. 1 including the bonus disc.

Last edited by darkhawk; 09-18-10 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-18-10, 05:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I agree about the purchasing the item when you see it. But an exp. date of 30 days for returns is reasonable. I used to do a lot of buying and returning (I used to buy everything I was remotely interested in) and they have always been good about returning what I didn't want. 90 days for Target and Wal-Mart is by far the exception.
Printing the "30 days" is reasonable,and stores(at least in Pa.,it varies by state)are allowed to do what they want. My problem is that BL actually follows through with it. I understand refusing seasonal mdse. long after the stuff has been cleared out or packed away,but everyday items,that's nuts. When managing in retail(25 years)if somebody had,like a perfectly new pair of jeans with receipt and you could put it back on the rack,do it. Even take a little bath to make a good customer a better one,do it. They do this so there is no thought by store management needed. It's policy. It's literally "by the book".
Another stupid example of BL's head up their a** return policy. I bought a DVD that didn't play and returned it for a title for title exchange. They had maybe ten copies of the same damn title. What grief. And the one cashier warned me that they wouldn't take it back. And I told her the hassle my credit card company would make when I wouldn't pay the bill would make this a futile fight. They already get charged for the transaction,they pay another fee for the refusal,they're gonna pay another fee for the refund,I'm p****d,and will gladly post it all over what idiots they are for returns. They caved. Do not take crap from the desk. Get management involved. Waste their time while others stand in line. Take names. Call corporate. Get loud. Make a scene. And get satisfaction.Make the manager want to get fired instead of dealing with smart customers.And do it next time,in case they forget.
Old 09-18-10, 07:49 PM

New $6 titles at the Beverly, NJ store:

Monty Python & the Holy Grail CE
Along Came Polly/Reality Bites/Mystery Men
Steve McQueen collection (Bullitt & Papillion)
The Skulls & The Skulls II
Fast Times at Ridgemont High & Dazed and Confused
Superman 4-disc + Superman III
Psycho II + III + IV
Old 09-18-10, 08:04 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimac51
Printing the "30 days" is reasonable,and stores(at least in Pa.,it varies by state)are allowed to do what they want. My problem is that BL actually follows through with it. I understand refusing seasonal mdse. long after the stuff has been cleared out or packed away,but everyday items,that's nuts. When managing in retail(25 years)if somebody had,like a perfectly new pair of jeans with receipt and you could put it back on the rack,do it. Even take a little bath to make a good customer a better one,do it. They do this so there is no thought by store management needed. It's policy. It's literally "by the book".
Another stupid example of BL's head up their a** return policy. I bought a DVD that didn't play and returned it for a title for title exchange. They had maybe ten copies of the same damn title. What grief. And the one cashier warned me that they wouldn't take it back. And I told her the hassle my credit card company would make when I wouldn't pay the bill would make this a futile fight. They already get charged for the transaction,they pay another fee for the refusal,they're gonna pay another fee for the refund,I'm p****d,and will gladly post it all over what idiots they are for returns. They caved. Do not take crap from the desk. Get management involved. Waste their time while others stand in line. Take names. Call corporate. Get loud. Make a scene. And get satisfaction.Make the manager want to get fired instead of dealing with smart customers.And do it next time,in case they forget.
$3 DVDs
30 day return policy is beyond fair, even a AS IS policy would be acceptable for such great titles at such a low price, if they did not allow returns on DVDs, we would get a lot better titles because the jack ass resellers wouldn't buy everything and return it on day 29.

If your so upset over something so petty and stupid, stop shopping there, we will all continue to enjoy the amazing deals.
Old 09-18-10, 09:15 PM

Found a Few

Major Dundee
Look whos talking
Mad Dog and Glory
Freedom Song (danny glover)
The Ninth Configuration/Snow Angels
The Arrangement/The last time i commited suicide
maverick
Lets do it again/a piece of the action (Bill Cosby and sidney poitier, both snappers)
house of wax/ house on the haunted hill (both V. Price)
Old 09-18-10, 09:22 PM
ADP

Maybe it's just me but lately the selection at my BL's have sucked. I haven't bought a dvd in I don't know when. I look forward to the classic Warner batches that used to be frequent at BL but they seem to have all but disappeared.

Hopefully we'll see another release of them before Thanksgiving.
Old 09-18-10, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 234 Posts

A store I visited today had a couple of the traditional cardboard square-type displays. One of the individual squares had a bunch of titles that I believe are brand new--including several horror films.

I picked up (all blind buys):

Away From Her
Confidence
Dogville
Dummy

And for the horror challenge next month:

An American Haunting
Borderland Unrated DC
The Gravedancers
High Tension

Another horror title I grabbed was Alone in the Dark Unrated DC. After looking at a review or two, this one may be going back. The others look to be some decent films and even better I went to one of the 20% off locations.
Old 09-19-10, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Bridgeport Tacoma Wa appeared to have gotten the last $3 & $6 batches. Very picked over, nothing much worthwhile left.
Old 09-19-10, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
$3 DVDs
30 day return policy is beyond fair, even a AS IS policy would be acceptable for such great titles at such a low price, if they did not allow returns on DVDs, we would get a lot better titles because the jack ass resellers wouldn't buy everything and return it on day 29.

If your so upset over something so petty and stupid, stop shopping there, we will all continue to enjoy the amazing deals.
I think the 30 day return policy is generous, but if something is open and defective, I expect a refund. Period. I don't care if it's $3 or $30. I want what I paid for. Hardly petty or stupid.

Last edited by Pizza; 09-19-10 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-19-10, 11:38 AM
Banned

I went to one of the 20% off locations last night, which appeared to have received the new $3/$6 shipment but was well picked over. After looking over the remaining stock I only picked up one of each.

2-pack for $6: Point of No Return & Universal Soldier: The Return
$3 single DVD: Motorama (this one was marked at $3 but was truly $2 before discount.)
Old 09-19-10, 04:38 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
...I picked up (all blind buys):
Dogville
I highly recommend Dogville thou it's not for everyone due to total lack of set design (buildings are represented chalk lines on a black floor). It unfolds much like a stage play with some interesting twists.
Old 09-19-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redsoxpatriot30
American Dreams for $6?! Great bargain, but I don't think I'll make it down to Big Lots this weekend. I saw a copy of Multiplicity, but I didn't know how good it was so I left it. I saw a 3-pack with Wimbledon, Prime and The Wedding Date for $6 that's been around for a long time and I've decided that it would be a better deal to get that instead of a single disc of Wimbledon (even if the other movies might not be so good). You would think Big Lots would reward us by lowering the price of the 2-packs...that's kind of lame. Half of the movies aren't even worth it.
Just found this at another store for roughly the sameprice. I know some members on the board have bene looking for this, so if you're interested, please let me know via e-mail at [email protected] in case you'd like to do a trade. Thanks. Richard
Old 09-19-10, 05:00 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Used the 20% off coupon yesterday to pick up some of the new Lions Gate shipment:

Away From Her
Confidence
Desperation (Stephen King)
Dogville
The Minus Man

Also grabbed a $6 title I hadn't seen before:
Jim Henson's The Storyteller: The Complete Collection
Old 09-19-10, 06:00 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
I think the 30 day return policy is generous, but if something is open and defective, I expect a refund. Period. I don't care if it's $3 or $30. I want what I paid for. Hardly petty or stupid.
yes i agree, i was referring to how upset jimac51 is over the return policy not being more then 30 days.

also...today i picked up:

the Sci-Fi Boys
Curse of the Golden Flowers
Believers
Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon
Child's Play 2
The Man Who Wasn't There

Last edited by bse; 09-19-10 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-19-10, 10:45 PM

I picked up:

Psycho II/III/IV
The King of Kong
Child's Play Box 2/3/Bride of Chucky
Dark Castle box - Gothika, Ghost Ship, House of Wax, House on Haunted Hill, Thir13en Ghosts
Old 09-20-10, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by depechemodeone
I picked up:

Dark Castle box - Gothika, Ghost Ship, House of Wax, House on Haunted Hill, Thir13en Ghosts
Is that "Ghost Ship" widescreen?
Old 09-20-10, 07:56 AM

I picked up the four Busby Berkeley titles for completion's sake. Kinda cool to get the whole Volume 2 box for $12. Was a little ticked that the "Going Through The Roof" documentary wasn't on "Golddiggers of 1937" as someone had mentioned on Amazon.

Also picked up the collector's edition of "Holy Grail."

To those who picked up "Away From Her," it's very well regarded. Julie Christie is supposed to be amazing in it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.