Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 12:04 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

found the "Chucky Collection" at mine today for $6

(child's play 2, 3 and Bride of Chucky)
Old 09-13-10, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by redsoxpatriot30
but my store also has a lot of DVDs left. Would they be waiting to put them out until the new ones are low?
In my experience, each store is different. Some have a TON of dvd's in their back room; others rarely get new dvd's from hq, & others seem to get much of the new stuff & put it out quickly.

The best BL strategy I know of is to make friends with either store management folks or the lead stockers.
Old 09-13-10, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Struck out at 2 tulsa locations today, seems we haven't got anything new in weeks.
Old 09-13-10, 08:42 PM

Snagge at $6 each

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Collector's Set
Sam Jackson Collection- Rules of Engagment, Coach Carter, Shaft (Not the Single case 3 pack we have seen in the past)
Dazed and Confused/Fast Times at Ridgemont High 2 Pack
Old 09-13-10, 11:54 PM

Modesto, CA (eastside store)

Dropped in to see if anything new was on the shelves. The one difference I spotted was a brand new box of WHV $5 titles. There were copies of Blazing Saddles (25th Anniversary) and Superman (4-disc) along with others spotted before. I grabbed the one I hadn't obtained yet:

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (Two Disc Special Edition Extended Version) $5

Then I decided to do one more sweep into the picked-through stock in case there might be something I'd overlooked. I guess I got a little over-involved as I ended up completely straightening out their 4-sided DVD rack. In the process I pulled out:

Best of SNL: Commercial Parodies
Cherish (WS/FS)
Daddy Day Care (WS/FS)
Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights (2-disc Special Edition) (WS/FS)
Eight Legged Freaks (WS)
Kabluey (WS)
Monday Night Mayhem (FS)
Moon Over Parador (WS)
National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon I (WS/FS)
Return to the House on Haunted Hill (unrated) (WS)
Shorts (WS/FS)

Even got two for gifting:

Boynton Beach Club (WS)
Rough Magic (FS)
Old 09-14-10, 01:13 AM

Re: Modesto, CA (eastside store)

Originally Posted by djskyler

...Then I decided to do one more sweep into the picked-through stock in case there might be something I'd overlooked. I guess I got a little over-involved as I ended up completely straightening out their 4-sided DVD rack. In the process I pulled out:...
Glad to know I'm not the only one that feels it's good karma to leave the rack cleaner than I found it! I will put the discards left on top back into the rows and turn ones I can't read.
Old 09-14-10, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Modesto, CA (eastside store)

Originally Posted by djskyler
Dropped in to see if anything new was on the shelves. The one difference I spotted was a brand new box of WHV $5 titles. There were copies of Blazing Saddles (25th Anniversary) and Superman (4-disc) along with others spotted before. I grabbed the one I hadn't obtained yet:

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (Two Disc Special Edition Extended Version) $5

Then I decided to do one more sweep into the picked-through stock in case there might be something I'd overlooked. I guess I got a little over-involved as I ended up completely straightening out their 4-sided DVD rack. In the process I pulled out:

Best of SNL: Commercial Parodies
Cherish (WS/FS)
Daddy Day Care (WS/FS)
Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights (2-disc Special Edition) (WS/FS)
Eight Legged Freaks (WS)
Kabluey (WS)
Monday Night Mayhem (FS)
Moon Over Parador (WS)
National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon I (WS/FS)
Return to the House on Haunted Hill (unrated) (WS)
Shorts (WS/FS)

Even got two for gifting:

Boynton Beach Club (WS)
Rough Magic (FS)
Did you get my message from an earlier post about The Story of Vernon & Irene Castle? Let me know if you'd still like one and we can work out a trade of some sorts. Appreciate it and please reach me via e-mail at [email protected] when time allows. Richard
Old 09-14-10, 11:18 AM

Found season one of Adam-12 for $6. Also a two pack of Golddiggers of 1937/Golddiggers in Paris. Lots of WB classics but every two-pack I found contained a film I already have. Still tempting.
Old 09-14-10, 01:12 PM

I think the funniest yet saddest two-pack I saw was "Brokeback Mountain" and "Cruising." The best and skeeviest of gay-themed cinema in one place.

Saw "Best Food Forward" (1943 Lucille Ball MGM) for $3 along with the Golddiggers 37 and Paris pack for $6.

All upstate NY--Capital District area. Over the past year or so, I swear I've picked up at least 50 titles between the four local stores (Albany, East Greenbush, Troy, Clifton Park).

Last ones I bought were the special editions of "Philadelphia Story" and "East Of Eden," the former mostly for the documentaries on the second disc.
Old 09-14-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Final got it...

That documentary "The Unknown Marx Brothers". I've been wanting that for months.

The San Bernardino, CA store had a restock. Mostly those $3 and $6 packs.

And as a blind buy, "The Ninth Configuration".
Old 09-14-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Another unusual find for me today. As part of a 3-pack, I discovered Shea Goodbye: 45 Years of Amazin'. I enjoy these college/pro team releases, so despite being attached to two titles that I had no interest in (exercise DVDs I believe) I was happy to pick this one up for $3.
Old 09-14-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up at the Niles, IL store that Monty Python Holy Grail Collection as well. They had the 2008 Rose Bowl Game along with two DVDs I had no interest in, so I passed on it.
Old 09-14-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Forgot to mention that I thought I had stumbled about a dream come true. A store had a separate wire rack with a sign above it that said "Clearance DVDs" (and software) with $3 titles marked down to $2, $6 titles marked down to $3 and $10 titles marked down to $5. Alas, there were only a dozen titles with clearance stickers on them--a few of the SNL Best of DVDs were $2 (originally $4), nothing else worth mentioning. It left me wondering if someone else might have cleared 'em out if there was anything good.

This particular store has tons of DVDs--A 4 sided square rack/display, 3 of the large square-shaped cardboard displays and now the display of $6 2-packs. I should have asked, but I was curious if they were just trying to help get some of 'em moving.
Old 09-14-10, 07:15 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I really recommend that Ninth Configuration movie if people see it. That is one amazing film. And one few know about.
Old 09-14-10, 07:42 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 528 Likes on 465 Posts

20% off Coupon for Select Stores
Spoiler:
Old 09-14-10, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Thanks WTK. I don't live close to any of those stores, but think I'll be near one that weekend so it should work out for me. What's the deal with the coupon? I've never seen a store-specific coupon like that with it only being good at a number of stores.
Old 09-14-10, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ I've never seen a store specific one either, but hopefully they expand it and offer to all stores, as the wife and I saw a bedframe that we wouldn't mind getting 20% off of.
Old 09-15-10, 10:17 AM

Today I found Season One of American Dreams, something called the Action Triple Play Collection (Deep Blue Sea/Outbreak/Sphere in a box set) and a two pack of Du Barry was a Lady/Forever Darling (both starring Lucille Ball).
Old 09-15-10, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Croissant!
Today I found Season One of American Dreams, something called the Action Triple Play Collection (Deep Blue Sea/Outbreak/Sphere in a box set) and a two pack of Du Barry was a Lady/Forever Darling (both starring Lucille Ball).
Was American Dreams $6? I might have to look for that. I liked that show. Sucks that this is the only season they released and it was only in full screen.
Old 09-15-10, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
Was American Dreams $6? I might have to look for that. I liked that show. Sucks that this is the only season they released and it was only in full screen.
Yep. $6. It's seven discs. They're calling it the "Extended Music Edition." I've never seen it, but I find it hard to pass up a full season of something for that price unless I know I don't like it.
Old 09-15-10, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great deal on American Dreams. Before they shut ch.com down (not to be confused with Columbia House) they had it for $5.39 but that has been May 2008. $6 is the cheapest I've seen in stores. I paid alot more than $6 for mine.
Old 09-15-10, 05:53 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I hate the newest trend at BigLots: Shrinkwrap two $3 DVDs together and charge exactly twice the price: $6. Where's the bargain in that? Not to mention the fact that more than likely I'll NEVER find a 2-pack where I want to own both movies. Stupid move on their part. If they really wanted to move these, they'd package them together and charge $5 for both, or even $4 if they're really serious about wanting to get rid of them, but to package 2 - $3 together and charge $6? Seriously silly.

The same goes for charging $6 for double features, IMHO. -kd5-
Old 09-15-10, 06:01 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by redsoxpatriot30

I'm going to try to go to another Big Lots in the area to see what kind of variety they have, but I'm guessing they don't vary too much...do they?

Saving the worst for last, I found out the hard way of finding "to die for" deals at Big Lots. About a month ago, I saw about 2 or 3 Christopher Guest packs for $6. Week after week, they dwindled down to 1, so I attempted to hide it among the stacks... Two weeks ago, I went back and it was nowhere in sight. Anybody else have a horror story like this? I'm going to make decisions very meticulously from now on.
A couple of my posts,along with others,should convince you that there are differences between the Big Lots in your area. It boils down to those stores that do business and those that are eating a lease. Also,if you see something,buy it. That "hide in the stacks" or even in other parts of the store never works. either a customer or stocker will pull out your hidden treasure and there you are. Better to buy it immediately,put it on a credit card and make the decision at home. but don't wait too long. Big Lots holds that expiration date on the receipt. Their return policy is a big minus to the company.
Old 09-15-10, 06:07 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked Up:

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
Bloody Sunday
Alfred Hitchcock Presents (Lamb of the Slaughter, the Case of Mr. Pelham, Banquo's Chair, Back for Christmas)

all $3, no slashes.
Old 09-15-10, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimac51
A couple of my posts,along with others,should convince you that there are differences between the Big Lots in your area. It boils down to those stores that do business and those that are eating a lease. Also,if you see something,buy it. That "hide in the stacks" or even in other parts of the store never works. either a customer or stocker will pull out your hidden treasure and there you are. Better to buy it immediately,put it on a credit card and make the decision at home. but don't wait too long. Big Lots holds that expiration date on the receipt. Their return policy is a big minus to the company.
I agree about the purchasing the item when you see it. But an exp. date of 30 days for returns is reasonable. I used to do a lot of buying and returning (I used to buy everything I was remotely interested in) and they have always been good about returning what I didn't want. 90 days for Target and Wal-Mart is by far the exception.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.