Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Old 09-10-10, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Are they separately shrink wrapped inside of the 2 pack?
I'm not sure if they're all like this, but the one I got and others were just taped together with red tape at one end and not shrink wrapped together. So you could check to see if their UPCs were slashed (THX 1138 was).
Old 09-10-10, 08:15 PM

My favorite of the new two packs that I saw was a 2 pack of Formula 51 backed with... Formula 51. :-)
Old 09-10-10, 11:15 PM

Anyone else see Simone? I'm looking for it...

Today I saw a lot of worthwhile titles that I will definitely be picking up soon...
Welcome to Collinwood
The Baby-sitter's Club
A Simple Wish
Riding Giants
Gattaca
King of Kong
Stranger Than Fiction
When a Stranger Calls (2006)
Wimbledon (WS)...Do you know how long I've been looking for a widescreen version? This was a great find.
A Mighty Wind
The Candidate
ATL (WS)
Brick

Any that I forgot, I'll post tomorrow.

I'm going to try to go to another Big Lots in the area to see what kind of variety they have, but I'm guessing they don't vary too much...do they?

Saving the worst for last, I found out the hard way of finding "to die for" deals at Big Lots. About a month ago, I saw about 2 or 3 Christopher Guest packs for $6. Week after week, they dwindled down to 1, so I attempted to hide it among the stacks... Two weeks ago, I went back and it was nowhere in sight. Anybody else have a horror story like this? I'm going to make decisions very meticulously from now on.
Old 09-11-10, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Hit Burien, Wa tonight. They have a TON of the weaker titles left over from the last few batches. Nothing new.
Old 09-11-10, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
...I greatly enjoy collecting DVDs that have the original artwork from the film's theatrical release on the cover and often will seek that out, sometimes regardless of the film and/or the DVD quality...
Yes, I think the film promoters of days gone by knew something about enticing audiences that contemporary commercial artists never learned. When I try to talk a friend/relative into watching an older movie they are not familiar with I don't show them the DVD cover as it serves as an instant turn-off! It is so irritating when a classic poster image from the past is discarded so the film on the DVD can appear more "current" for the marketing department.
Old 09-11-10, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Hit a couple of Big Lots tonight. One of them had restocked with the new 2 for $6 DVD packs.

These are some of the titles I saw (note - the DVDs are shrinkwrapped back to back, not side to side; I just photo'ed them that way):

Candy / The Tracey Fragments

The Secret / Powder Blue
(The Secret is also packaged in a different set with The Walker)

The Last Time I Committed Suicde / The Arrangement

Some other two packs I remember were:
The Ninth Configuration / Snow Angels
The Body / Diabolique (Sharon Stone version)
Hollywood Hotel / Presenting Lily Mars
Ultimate Party Collection (Dazed and Confused/Fast Times at Ridgemont High)

As the DVDs are packaged back to back, I couldn't see if any of them had slashed barcodes (some of these titles have appeared at Big Lots recently as standalone titles with slash marks).

Also saw this:

Dark Castle Horror Collection box set featuring:
Thir13en Ghosts
Gothika
Ghost Ship
House of Wax
House on Haunted Hill

They also had a bunch of the Monty Python and The Holy Grail Collector's Edition sets that have shown up at Big Lots before.

Old 09-11-10, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

^ That horror set looks interesting at that price, though I own 2 of the titles I believe.

I'm not too keen on these $6 two-packs. It always seems as if any title I'm interested in is packaged with one that I have no interest in or that I already own.
Old 09-11-10, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by djskyler
For those keeping score, Fred & Ginger Volume One is:
Top Hat
Swing Time
Follow the Fleet
Shall We Dance
The Barkleys of Broadway
Volume Two is:
Flying Down to Rio
The Gay Divorcee
Roberta
Carefree
The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle

I didn't do so well completing the collections one by one at Big Lots. I have only one from Vol. 1 and have all but one of Vol. 2
Turns out I'm getting a little help after all in completing my Fred & Ginger collection. November 2 will see the release of TCM Greatest Classic Film Collection: Astaire & Rogers. I've seen this series on sale at Target for $19.99. It will present these four titles:

The Gay Divorcee
Top Hat
Swing Time
Shall We Dance

Although The Gay Divorcee is one of the titles I already obtained, the addition of the other 3 will mean I'll only be missing Follow the Fleet and The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle.
Old 09-11-10, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by redsoxpatriot30
...About a month ago, I saw about 2 or 3 Christopher Guest packs for $6. Week after week, they dwindled down to 1, so I attempted to hide it among the stacks... Two weeks ago, I went back and it was nowhere in sight. Anybody else have a horror story like this? I'm going to make decisions very meticulously from now on.
Hiding a DVD "among the stacks" is the worst place. Especially if your store has browsers like me. I dig through *everything - everytime* I visit looking for stuff like that. I'll only do that if I'm *very* on the fence and am leaning towards *not* getting the title.
Old 09-11-10, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Those of you who might go looking for "Ultimate Party Collection (Dazed and Confused/Fast Times at Ridgemont High)" be aware that this is only available as FS at the store here.
Old 09-11-10, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Hiding a DVD "among the stacks" is the worst place.
What should I do then, other than buying the item? Unfortunately, I'm only able to go about once or twice on the weekends. I, too, go through everything, but I guess I never really considered the clintele at my Big Lots to be interested in films like this. Every time I go, someone goes through the first five movies then walks away. The most common quote I've heard is "This was on TV last night."
Old 09-11-10, 09:26 AM

Here are some more I found at my Big Lots...interesting bunch.
Vertical Limit
Vantage Point (2-Disc)
All I Want
The Cave (WS)
Only You
Masked and Anonymous
The History Boys
K-PAX
Around the Bend
All the Pretty Horses
S.W.A.T. (2003)
Old 09-11-10, 10:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
(The Secret is also packaged in a different set with The Walker)
I saw The Secret packaged with The Air I Breathe. I also saw Shorts (Robert Rodriguez) packaged with the Leave It To Beaver Movie, The Batman animated double pack, and plenty others of mostly previously seen titles.

I also saw the very older titles marked down like someone else mentioned. It looks like they are finally trying to get rid of the DVDs that have been sitting there for the last few years. I saw some of last year's $4 and $3 titles marked down to $2 and some $8 double packs like Fools Rush In/Maid In Manhattan and Swan Princess double pack marked down to $3.
Old 09-11-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What should I do then, other than buying the item? Unfortunately, I'm only able to go about once or twice on the weekends. I, too, go through everything, but I guess I never really considered the clintele at my Big Lots to be interested in films like this. Every time I go, someone goes through the first five movies then walks away. The most common quote I've heard is "This was on TV last night."
There are *lots* of places in the store where a DVD can be "stashed". Be creative but make sure not to pick a area that appears to be in disarray as it's ripe for a straitening and your "treasure" will be found and put back.

Also keep in mind that you can always just buy something and return it if you change your mind. You have 30 days to decide. Just be sure to keep the receipt with the "undecided" DVD(s) so you don't lose it.

And while the majority of the BL clientele truly is of the "Joe 6-Pack" type that are many who are not. I know several people who visit BL regularly for obscure/OOP/etc. type titles. Frequently, the same stuff I'm looking for. You'll find this at just about every BL store as many here can attest. It's why many of us just make the purchase and decide later after looking up information about the title if we're really on the fence.

I hear those type comments as well. The most common here is "Ohhh $3 movies!" after which they look at about a dozen or two and walk off. BUT there're also those who start at the opposite end from me while I'm already looking and work towards me which ensues in a battle of wills when we reach the same area towards the middle. No... I do not budge and typically have a cart I'm pushing ahead of me. After all it's a very large display and they could have started on the opposite side.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 09-11-10 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-11-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Turns out I'm getting a little help after all in completing my Fred & Ginger collection. November 2 will see the release of TCM Greatest Classic Film Collection: Astaire & Rogers. I've seen this series on sale at Target for $19.99. It will present these four titles:

The Gay Divorcee
Top Hat
Swing Time
Shall We Dance
Amazon has this for $20.99 Pre-Order, they also have all the other TCM Collections on sale for $12.99.
Old 09-11-10, 11:55 AM

Yes, I think the film promoters of days gone by knew something about enticing audiences that contemporary commercial artists never learned. When I try to talk a friend/relative into watching an older movie they are not familiar with I don't show them the DVD cover as it serves as an instant turn-off! It is so irritating when a classic poster image from the past is discarded so the film on the DVD can appear more "current" for the marketing department.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 09-11-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
There are *lots* of places in the store where a DVD can be "stashed". Be creative but make sure not to pick a area that appears to be in disarray as it's ripe for a straitening and your "treasure" will be found and put back.

Also keep in mind that you can always just buy something and return it if you change your mind. You have 30 days to decide. Just be sure to keep the receipt with the "undecided" DVD(s) so you don't lose it.

And while the majority of the BL clientele truly is of the "Joe 6-Pack" type that are many who are not. I know several people who visit BL regularly for obscure/OOP/etc. type titles. Frequently, the same stuff I'm looking for. You'll find this at just about every BL store as many here can attest. It's why many of us just make the purchase and decide later after looking up information about the title if we're really on the fence.

I hear those type comments as well. The most common here is "Ohhh $3 movies!" after which they look at about a dozen or two and walk off. BUT there're also those who start at the opposite end from me while I'm already looking and work towards me which ensues in a battle of wills when we reach the same area towards the middle. No... I do not budge and typically have a cart I'm pushing ahead of me. After all it's a very large display and they could have started on the opposite side.
I'd suggest just spending the $3. in MOST of the stores, senior employees will take very good care of folks like us if we spend money & don't return anything unless it's defective.
Old 09-11-10, 12:40 PM

picked up

the last dragon
the door in the floor
next stop, greenwich village
Old 09-11-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Just buy it, it's only 6 bucks. And while that does describe the majority of Big Lots shoppers there are a lot of people (especially on this board) who will look at ever movie available.

If you really want to hide something maybe try the frames section but it seems a bit juvenile over a $6 DVD.
Old 09-11-10, 06:24 PM

Wow, The Arrangement is a rare OOP title. New copies go for at least $20 bucks on amazon.
Old 09-11-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Gay Divorcee
Top Hat
Swing Time
Shall We Dance

Although The Gay Divorcee is one of the titles I already obtained, the addition of the other 3 will mean I'll only be missing Follow the Fleet and The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle.
I can get you the Story of V&I Castle as it's located at Big Lots near my house. Let me know if you'd like to trade for it...movie to movie or special interest or whatever you're cool with; that is, if you want the film. E-mail me at [email protected] when time allows. Richard
Old 09-11-10, 08:32 PM
Cool New Member

Some of the two-packs I remember from the new $6.00 pallet:

Superman the Movie (four disc) / Superman III (Deluxe Edition)
Masters of the Universe / Incredible Hulk (TV Pilot)
House of Wax (Price) / House on Haunted Hill (Price)
Splendor in the Grass (snapper) / Baby Doll
His Majesty O'Keefe / South Seas Woman
Sinbad of the Seven Seas / Golden Compass

Also saw The Arrangement but do not remember what it was packaged with. Also they had a Chucky box set with Child's Play 2, 3 & Seed of Chucky.

I would have picked up a few titles but either they were packaged with ones I already had, or they were packaged with ones I had no interest in. In the mix was many of the triple and double features previously seen. Also Boogeyman 1 & 2 for $6.00 that Big Lots have had before for $3.00.
Old 09-11-10, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw a 2 row pallet today, but it was about 1/3 picked through when I got to it. No titles of note that weren't already mentioned; though about 1/3 of what I saw was the Warner 2-3 films on 1 disc & the other 2/3 were as described in other posts.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 09-11-10 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-11-10, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by vichyfrance
Wow, The Arrangement is a rare OOP title. New copies go for at least $20 bucks on amazon.
Oldies.com had this title a month ago for around $12.98 ....I dunno if they still do.

i just checked they still have it for $12.98.
Old 09-12-10, 11:54 PM

After reading previous Big Lots threads, I feel compelled to ask if there are usually boxes of movies around the store. Every time I go, boxes are moved as well as the wire rack to a new place. They are probably only in one area, but I wanted to ask just in case.

I bought anything of interest that I could only find one copy of...
Only You
Look at Me
Stranger Than Fiction
The Babysitter's Club
Riding Giants

Anyone heard anything about the new ad? This past week's movies were really good...can't wait to get my hands on Gattaca. I haven't seen Shorts, 17 Again or the new 6-packs...but my store also has a lot of DVDs left. Would they be waiting to put them out until the new ones are low?

My last question is if there are any specific times of the year that Big Lots has really good deals and what they usually are. What are the prices and varieties during Black Friday? Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.