Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-10, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

I picked up Cheers season 3, CSI season 2/3 & CSI NY 3,4, & 5.
Old 11-13-10, 03:39 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Got Cheers Season 3 & 7 and the Trouble With Harry. Would have loved to see Family Ties season 4 & 5.
Old 11-13-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THE ANDERSON TAPES is a very good movie, but it's hardly a "Martini Movie" and man that cover art has to go down as one of the most dreadful covers in DVD history. SONY sure knows how to make covers that look as ugly as Shemp.
Old 11-13-10, 04:32 PM

Went out and hit 6 BLs this morning, but none had the $6 season sets. At the Bristol, PA, store, two really helpful sales clerks told me they are a Black Friday deal and the staff is prohibited from putting them on the floor before Black Friday. They even went into the back room and came out with the Black Friday Ad to show me----it's under Friday Deals, 6 am to 11 pm, "while they last", $6. Pictured were Hawaii Five-O, CSI, Melrose Place, Sleeper Cell, Twin Peaks, Perry Mason, 7th Heaven, CSI Miami, Bosom Buddies, Beverly Hills 90210, Fugitive, CSI NY, and one I couldn't read.
Old 11-13-10, 04:47 PM

^ Ack! So this is a Black Friday only deal? So everyone finding these are at locations where the staff can't read and simply put them out ahead of time? I am about to go check my local Big Lots but they're so rude / mean around here that I doubt they'll put them out.
Old 11-13-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So are these TV titles going to made available now or do we have to wait until after Black Friday to purchase these as there are a few titles I'd like to get at that price. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 11-13-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan26
I found some of the $6 TV sets. I noticed that they ring up as "DVD PARAMOUNT BF TV." I wonder if the "BF" stands for Black Friday and they may be in their Black Friday ad.
Good call/observation. You are 100% correct. These titles are part of the BL Black Friday sale.

I went in today and spoke with my best contact asking about these sets. They already knew about them, which is atypical as I usually know about DVD shipments before they get them thanks to this forum! I was read an email from BL corporate that these sets are to be held until Black Friday and that they (corporate) are monitoring for compliance. The stores who've put these out may very well get a reprimand or at least be told to pull them.

Kudos to those who've gotten some thus far. The rest of us will probably be waiting for the rush...
Old 11-13-10, 06:38 PM

^ Yep. None at my Big Lots. Guess we will have to wait for Black Friday. But what a battle that will be? I mean Big Lots on Black Friday! Then again maybe most people will hit the big stores and not even think about a place like Big Lots giving us free reign? Wait! I forgot ... people like us know. One of those buy / resell on eBay guys goes in first and buys nearly everything in one chunk leaving next to nothing for others.

In any case I did find one copy of ...

Friday The 13th: Part VIII - Jason Takes Manhattan - Deluxe Edition

I grabbed that one up and added it to my collection for $5. Never thought I'd find it.
Old 11-13-10, 07:23 PM

Only seasons I saw at a couple today were Twin Peaks Season 2 and Sabrina Season 1 for $6. Passed on both. On the lists provided, I just want the Family Ties ones.
Old 11-13-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkRavenII
^ ...Guess we will have to wait for Black Friday. But what a battle that will be? I mean Big Lots on Black Friday! Then again maybe most people will hit the big stores and not even think about a place like Big Lots giving us free reign?...
I had occasion to drive by BL last year on BF about a half-hour before they opened. There were ~100 people in a line waiting for the doors to open! I was slightly amazed!
Old 11-13-10, 08:34 PM

No TV box sets at the Clementon, NJ store, though they did add a few Busby Berkley Vol. 3 box sets and some of the new $5 DVDs that were already mentioned (Rio Bravo, Resident Evil Degeneration, Bitter Victory, Chuck Jones Collection).

Also had Life Magazine's Platinum Anniversary Collection coffee table book for $8.
Old 11-13-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

are any other Friday the 13th dvds appearing at Big Lots aside from 5, 7, and 8?

I picked up those 3 in the Clifton, NJ store last weekend- there's many copies of each left.
Old 11-13-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by deet
No TV box sets at the Clementon, NJ store, though they did add a few Busby Berkley Vol. 3 box sets
Hmm, this would be a real find considering that it has yet to be manufactured.

Balls busted daily! Come one, come all!
Old 11-13-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm officially bummed out. I went to a different BL who I had called earlier and who told me they had the $6 season sets display out. When I got there I couldn't find them and ran across the manager who told me they were Black Friday deals. He even brought out one of the boxes and let me look in it... there were probably only 2 dozen sets in the box and maybe 10 sets that my other store didn't have which I would've bought had I been allowed to. He showed me the 11/26 sticker on the box and then said he had about 10 boxes of those for BF. Of course I don't know if it's 10 boxes of the same titles or 10 boxes of different ones, but either way that's maybe 250 total for that store on BF. My guess is 250 sets will last about 15 minutes on BF (except for the crappier ones), and it's unlikely I'll get to my BL anywhere near opening because other stores (like Walmart) will typically take priority on BF. So I think the small batch I got is probably all I'm going to get. :-(

There wasn't anything too exciting in the box I saw, but they did have different seasons of Hawaii Five-O, Laverne & Shirley, 7th Season, Cheers, and Laguna Beach that I remember seeing. No Family Ties or Love Boat in the box I saw.
Old 11-13-10, 09:22 PM

Saw two copies of Star Trek Fan Collective - Q in with the $6 TV box sets in Champaign, IL. Picked up one along with Brady Bunch S2.
Old 11-13-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

After the $2 boxes of 2008, can't say I'm that overwhelmed with common TV series @ $6.
Old 11-13-10, 11:01 PM
ADP

Will be searching for Rawhide, Macgyver, and CSI: Miami. Stopped by one store today that had a few tv series sets out. I remember Family Ties, BH 90210, and something else but none of them interested me.

I did find the following $3 titles I hadn't seen before in BL

A Lawless Street - Randolph Scott, Angela Lansbury

Man in the Vault - oldie from Batjac Productions (John Wayne's Production Co.)

Now if we just had a big batch of Warner's added to the mix this would be a great month.
Old 11-13-10, 11:44 PM

Not mentioned here yet and I am sure no one cares (including me) ... but they had three cardboard display boxes out full of various Care Bears DVDs at my local Big lots. Display boxes had Christmas stuff all over them. I am pretty sure Bratz DVDs were in there too.

A lot of the movies I did thumb through were all Full Screen though. Lots of Jackie Chan's The Tuxedo in Full Screen. I'll hold out for the Widesreen which always shows up eventually.
Old 11-13-10, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I can find Police Squad on BF, I'll be happy. Makes me regret not picking up The Naked Gun 3-pack when they had it for $10 almost a year ago, though.
Old 11-14-10, 01:55 AM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I was read an email from BL corporate that these sets are to be held until Black Friday and that they (corporate) are monitoring for compliance. The stores who've put these out may very well get a reprimand or at least be told to pull them.
Apparently the stores that put these sets out early are getting severely punished. A manager at one of the stores showed me this email that she got from the corporate offices:

To: Big Lots Manager

It has come to our attention that you have been selling $6 TV box sets in violation of our agreement that stipulates that these sets are to be sold only starting on Black Friday, November 26. As a result of this indiscretion, you will be required to ship back to us all remaining sets immediately.

In exchange, we will be sending you 200 units of Joey Season 1 for your Black Friday sale.

Thank you for your understanding,

Big Lots Corporate Offices
Old 11-14-10, 03:15 AM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Went to another Big Lots this afternoon and they had a new shipment of $3 DVDs that varied from the other store (none of the other titles -- ie. The Anderson Tapes -- were part of this display)

Among the titles I saw were:
Black Sunday (John Frankenheimer terrorist movie -- not Mario Bava horror flick)
Children of Huang Shi (Chow Yun Fat)
The Counterfeiters (Academy Award Best Foreign Film 2007)
The Dying Gaul
The Foot Fist Way (mentioned in a previous post)
Little Secrets (includes soundtrack CD)
Lust For Gold (Glenn Ford)
Night Skies (this looks like it would make a good double feature with Fire in the Sky)
Shirley Valentine
Snow Day (Chris Elliott!!!!)
Synedoche New York
Uncommon Valor (Gene Hackman)

They also had these yummy cookies that I purchased:

Old 11-14-10, 03:51 AM

Bummed out about the news that the $6 TV Series is BF deals, explains why the new BL I went to didn't have them out.

I went to the grand opening of the new BL in town and I won't be going on BF just to get these. I had to wait in line about 20 minutes on a grand opening day and the lines were well past the registers. I could only image how long they would be on BF. Probably lines snaking to the back on the store. No thanks.

People were really swarming the dvds. I could hardly get to the displays. I managed to get Babylon 5: Lost Tales, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Next and Carriers.

I think I found my new source for cheap DVDs. What really surprised me is that they had better titles than the $5 Walmart bargain bin. And for $2 cheaper too.
Old 11-14-10, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees

Went to another Big Lots this afternoon and they had a new shipment of $3 DVDs that varied from the other store (none of the other titles -- ie. The Anderson Tapes -- were part of this display)

Among the titles I saw were:
Black Sunday (John Frankenheimer terrorist movie -- not Mario Bava horror flick)
Children of Huang Shi (Chow Yun Fat)
The Counterfeiters (Academy Award Best Foreign Film 2007)
The Dying Gaul
The Foot Fist Way (mentioned in a previous post)
Little Secrets (includes soundtrack CD)
Lust For Gold (Glenn Ford)
Night Skies (this looks like it would make a good double feature with Fire in the Sky)
Shirley Valentine
Snow Day (Chris Elliott!!!!)
Synedoche New York
Uncommon Valor (Gene Hackman)

They also had these yummy cookies that I purchased:

Oh Man, Black Sunday Is cool (I already have it though) and Lust For Gold is fantastic it has Ida Lupino , It's a real FUN Saturday afternoon popcorn flick
with a fun twist to the ending (it's told in flashback).
Old 11-14-10, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Good call/observation. You are 100% correct. These titles are part of the BL Black Friday sale.

I went in today and spoke with my best contact asking about these sets. They already knew about them, which is atypical as I usually know about DVD shipments before they get them thanks to this forum! I was read an email from BL corporate that these sets are to be held until Black Friday and that they (corporate) are monitoring for compliance. The stores who've put these out may very well get a reprimand or at least be told to pull them.

Kudos to those who've gotten some thus far. The rest of us will probably be waiting for the rush...
I would still check in with your favorite BL during the upcoming week , someone is bound to put these out early. It's happened before ....
Old 11-14-10, 10:00 AM
Banned

4 stores in upstate NY and still no House Arrest. The only title I've been looking for since it was announced here. Either they only had 1 copy and it was bought, or they didn't have it.

I guess I'll have to order it from Amazon if I really want it, I hate ordering online and having to pay4shipping.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.