DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/571893-big-lots-part-8-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

darkhawk 08-21-10 02:48 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Bought:

Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Soylent Green
It Happened at the World's Fair
It's Alive 1,2,3
Fail Safe (Clooney)
Major Dundee Extended Version
M Butterfly

mr Articulate 08-21-10 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kguy1326 (Post 10331838)
Not true about the live action Masters of the Universe being found easily.

I've been on the hunt for it for 3 weeks in Columbus, OH. Have yet to find it. Also have yet to find Who's That Girl. I really really really want those two very very very badly. They are two movies I loved fondly from my 6 to 8 year old youth in the 80's.

Don't forget we have "The Unofficial "Big Lots" Exchange Thread" in the DVD Exchange section. It's a good way to find stuff too.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-exchang...thread-61.html

Kguy1326 08-21-10 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by mr Articulate (Post 10332978)
Don't forget we have "The Unofficial "Big Lots" Exchange Thread" in the DVD Exchange section. It's a good way to find stuff too.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-exchang...thread-61.html

Thanks for the heads up. I'm kinda stingy with DVD's, I don't care for trading.

jwstl 08-21-10 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kguy1326 (Post 10333014)
Thanks for the heads up. I'm kinda stingy with DVD's, I don't care for trading.

Stinginess has nothing to do with Big Lots trading. You buy an extra copy of something someone else can't find and trade it for one you can't find.

Back on the subject...

I finally found the Village of the Damned/Children of the Damned double feature and the It's Alive triple. Thanks to whomever for the heads up on those.

Undeadcow 08-21-10 08:26 PM

Picked up Fast Food Nation and Higher Learning, not sure if they've been mentioned yet.

Otherwise striking out in Austin, TX... no It's Alive Trilogy, Masters of the Universe, Soylent Green, Taxi Driver (2-disc), or It's Alive Trilogy.

thetao 08-21-10 09:07 PM

Visited the local Big Lots tonight. Bought a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and finally found Strangers On a Train (2-disk, no cut mark). It was the last copy. Noticed a bunch of Men in Black Deluxe Edition (2-disk) and many other disks that have been mentioned previously.

I found one that hasn't been mentioned so far: Dogma Special Edition (2-disk). It was also the only one, and the cashier is apparently set on getting the next one. :)

I saw some comments above about distribution differences over different geographies. Are people in the mid-Atlantic finding THX1138 (2-disk) and Taxi Driver (2-disk)? I'm in Pennsylvania.

story 08-21-10 09:22 PM

No Strangers On a Train for me, yet. :(

I picked up Contact for my wife because it's her favorite movie. I saw it was in a keepcase and was released in 2009 so I figured it was an updated special edition that's better than the 1997 version. Got it home and all the features are the same. The only difference is the old version came in a snapper. Thing is, this 2009 edition came out at the same time as the Blu-Ray.

My question is: any idea if the 2009 DVD has an improved transfer over the 1997 version?

Boba Fett 08-21-10 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by dogmatica (Post 10333190)
No Strangers On a Train for me, yet. :(

I picked up Contact for my wife because it's her favorite movie. I saw it was in a keepcase and was released in 2009 so I figured it was an updated special edition that's better than the 1997 version. Got it home and all the features are the same. The only difference is the old version came in a snapper. Thing is, this 2009 edition came out at the same time as the Blu-Ray.

My question is: any idea if the 2009 DVD has an improved transfer over the 1997 version?

Generally snapper to keepcase upgrades are the same disc, old packaging. The only time I think they upgraded was a year before the FInal Cut of Blade Runner. The DC in the keepcase was advertised as a limited edition remaster.

JohnIan 08-21-10 10:49 PM

can you specify which San Bernardino store?
Store #04238

499 Orange Show Road.

Kguy1326 08-21-10 11:22 PM

I've only seen Blade Runner once or twice in the stores I visit. Not that I'm looking for it, as I sprung for the big case set upon release.

MooMooMooMoo 08-22-10 12:42 AM

Another one I picked up that I don't think has been mentioned is 13 rue Madeleine (Cagney)

novaadage 08-22-10 11:28 AM

Good haul today. Picked up

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
Afro Samurai Resurrection
Dororo
Exosquad Season 1
Full Metal Alchemist Conqueror of Shambala

Picked up some anime titles they had too
Moon Phase - vol 1 and 2
Claymore chapter 3
Trinity Blood - Chapters 1-3
Samurai 7 - Vol 3 and 4

Cashier also just counted everything up and priced it at 3 bucks. Think the Exosquad was 8 dollars originally. So Score!

That'sAllFolks 08-22-10 01:00 PM

are all copies of Look Who's Talking FS? Is this another Sony debacle?

Amazon says 1:85, but my copy is 1:33. Also, the back image at DVD Empire shows 1:33. Anyone know for sure? Anyone find a double-sided/WS copy?

bigjim25 08-22-10 01:22 PM

Look Who's Talking is one of many Sony discs that used to be 2 sided with FS on one and WS on the other. They got rid of the FS on some and WS on others. They got rid of the WS on Look Who's Talking.

That'sAllFolks 08-22-10 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by bigjim25 (Post 10333759)
Look Who's Talking is one of many Sony discs that used to be 2 sided with FS on one and WS on the other. They got rid of the FS on some and WS on others. They got rid of the WS on Look Who's Talking.

That's what I thought. Time to get rid of that FS crap. I just thought to check DVD Profiler and verified that too. Thanks.

Johnny Zhivago 08-22-10 06:27 PM

Holy crap... The Eastland store here that is moving looks like they've been running a clearance sale for at least a week. Looks like a tornado hit it... Pretty much gutted.

The only DVDs left were on the wire rack... I didn't even bother. There were 2 or 3 vultures digging though it and tossing DVDs on the floor.

Scored a nice HDMI cable for $10 though... Their "top shelf" cable since it was in the glass display case behind lock and key. :lol:

SterlingBen 08-22-10 06:39 PM

Just had a minute to look today and found Strangers on a Train 2 disc for $3

Sammy Banderas 08-22-10 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago (Post 10334034)
There were 2 or 3 vultures digging though it and tossing DVDs on the floor.

Big Lots Vultures ... picking at the carcasses of leftover dvds!rotfl

petroStation 08-22-10 07:28 PM

Picked up a lone unslahed snapper case of Ninth Configuration today along with Major Dundee Extended for $3 each.

thetao 08-23-10 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kguy1326 (Post 10333320)
I've only seen Blade Runner once or twice in the stores I visit. Not that I'm looking for it, as I sprung for the big case set upon release.

It's common around here (PA). Not that I'm buying either. Don't currently own it, but from what I recall, the Blu-Ray edition is exceedingly sweet.

Texan26 08-23-10 04:04 PM

I found the new display. Like others have mentioned, they all ring up as "Warner Single" but there is a representation of other studios.

I picked up for $3 each:

Next (Nic Cage/Jessica Biel) Canadian version, Widescreen. They still had the $5 versions in other rack.
The Mask of Zorro (Deluxe Edition)
The Animal (Uncut Special Edition)
Sat. Night Live : Best of David Spade
A Piece of the Action
The Fugitive
Flight of the Living Dead (Unrated)
Hook
The King of Kong A Fistful of Quarters
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
Casualties of War (Extended Cut)
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Carlito's Way

I also saw:
Land of the Dead (unrated)
THX 1138 (2 disc director's cut)
Jackass Double Feature ($3, This was $5 or $6 in a previous batch.)
Jabberwocky
Volumes of the Batman (animated)
Rebel Without A Cause (2 disc)
Men In Black (Deluxe edition)

...and many other titles I can't remember

Captsmee.00 08-23-10 07:33 PM

stopped by my local Big Lots on my way home from work hoping to score a Stangers on a Train...no luck, but I did get:

Child's Play 2
THX1138 (2 disc)
The Fugitive
Village of the Damned/Children of the Damned
The People Under the Stairs/Shocker
Mean Streets
Hook

There were several other titles that I was debating over such as Blade Runner 2 disc, Police Academy 20th anniversary, and Psycho II, III, and IV. Decided in the next few days I'll hit my other nearby store to see if they have anything different. I also saw Rumble in the Bronx, Rush Hour, and all the Lethal Weapon movies at the store I was in.

JohnIan 08-23-10 11:36 PM

"The King of Kong: A Fistful Of Quarters"

It's now on my list. Thanks for info.

Cardsfan111 08-24-10 04:33 AM

Today I discovered one of the ESPN 3-packs that contained: Greatest Games of Kansas Basketball. It's a 3 disc set that Amazon has listed for $29.95 :up:

Maybe someone else has spotted it and reported it before, but it's the only time I've come across it. It was packaged with a couple of familiar titles--College Basketball Honor Roll, Vol. 1 & The Best of the X Games.

docdoowop 08-24-10 11:20 AM

Brooklyn Center, MN:

Funny Girl
Major Dundee Extended Version
Man Who Wasn't There (Coens)
7th Voyage of Sinbad (I bet I saw this in the theater a dozen times as a 10 y.o.)