Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Warner Archive Sale -- 5 for $55 + Free Shipping

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Warner Archive Sale -- 5 for $55 + Free Shipping

Old 03-25-10, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Warner Archive Sale -- 5 for $55 + Free Shipping

Drat! I already picked up the titles I wanted in the Deep Discount sale. Oh, well.
Old 03-25-10, 07:01 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I was going to place an order but then I saw I could get a bunch of cool preorders for almost the same price with coupons and cashbaq.com. Lord of the Rings animated Blu is only 14 if you are a wb rewards member.
I got Dr. Zhivago Blu, Lord of the Rings Animated Blu, No time for seargents, Looney Tunes Superstars Bugs Bunny Haire Extraodinaire, Looney Tunes Superstars Daffy Duck Frustrated Fowl for 54 dollars after cashbaq.com and coupons.
Old 03-25-10, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So...how bad is "Under the Rainbow?" It's the one I want the most, but I'm looking for some reviews.

Edited to add: Quality-wise. I know what I'm getting into with the movie itself.
Old 03-25-10, 07:32 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

There is one review for under the rainbow on the warner archive website and I'm surprised warner allowed it because it is a very bad review on its quality.
Old 03-25-10, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by HockeyMan2000
And the quality of your DVD-R's are worth about 20 cents compared to paying $9 for a far, far better transfer.

I mean no offense, but these transfers are all far superior to any DVD-R you could make from TCM. Anything in widescreen is 16:9 enhanced, and a lot of them -- not all, but I'd say most -- easily justify the expense.

For me, it's a no brainer. There are a few titles to avoid, but the great majority of the Archive discs look more than fine -- and it's like night and day versus making a non-anamorphic capture off cable of these films. Not even a comparison to be made, frankly.
Couldn't agree more, being able to toss some of these crappy DVD-Rs from TCM is a great feeling, thanks OP!
Old 03-25-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just placed an order, using both the WELCOME09 and CABINWB codes, getting $10 off the $55 price.

Nice deal.
Old 03-25-10, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mazje
So...how bad is "Under the Rainbow?" It's the one I want the most, but I'm looking for some reviews.

Edited to add: Quality-wise. I know what I'm getting into with the movie itself.
It seems that I read it was a sub-par transfer but the online preview looks great compared to my VHS version so I'm looking forward to getting mine in the mail.
Old 03-26-10, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I shouldn't have, but I bought She, Two Seconds, Genesis II, Special Bulletin, and The Stranger Within for $45. Thanks for the codes!
Old 03-27-10, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by John Sinnott
XB592 works for 20% off, but only on the multi-disc sets. That brings them to 48% off, before the two $5 off coupons (which have minimums.) Not a bad deal at all.
XB592 doesn't seem to be working anymore.
Old 03-27-10, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by moklerman
It seems that I read it was a sub-par transfer but the online preview looks great compared to my VHS version so I'm looking forward to getting mine in the mail.
It's definitely better than VHS, but it's easily one of the worst Archive releases. Even being 16:9 enhanced it really looks poor, in need of remastering. Most of the Archive titles don't look as anemic as that one.
Old 03-27-10, 10:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HockeyMan2000
There are no non-anamorphic widescreen Warner Archives titles that I'm aware of.
That gets a sigh of relief from me. I saw "16X9 Full Frame" next to some titles and immediately assumed non-anamorphic.

I'm sorry I didn't check here before ordering because I missed out on the two $5 codes. Still a (comparatively) good deal tho. I ordered:
Rabbit Run, Brainstorm, Man From Galveston, The Defector, and Green Mansions.
Old 03-28-10, 11:59 AM

I could never get that xb592 coupon to work on any items I ordered including the 35% off miniseries or items from WB's regular inventory so I didn't bother.

Two orders at $45 apiece plus tax:

Order 1: Any Wednesday, Big Circus, Brainstorm, Deadly Tower, El Condor

Order 2: Daddy's Gone a Hunting, Third Day, Tribute to a Bad Man, Westbound, Who's Killing the Great Chefs of Europe.

Two notes that may help. If you order ten DVDs on one order, you get 10 for $110. However, if you order anywhere from 6-9, those last DVDs are at full price (6 DVDs cost $75 before any coupons).

You can only use each coupon once. However, if you have multiple email accounts, you can set up separate memberships at each one, which I've done, and place two separate orders of five DVDs each so you can use them twice.

Thanks to those who posted the coupon codes.
Old 03-29-10, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Solid deal. I wish there was more that I wanted other than Angus and Bad Ronald.

To anyone buying Razorback, are you all Region-Free? There is a great Aussie Release that has been available for a while now.
Old 03-30-10, 09:21 PM

Anybody else get an email that confirmed shipment that specified a price without the coupon discounts? When I ordered, it showed $50.35 ($45 plus California sales tax). The email telling me that it shipped showed $60.35. Just curious
Old 03-30-10, 09:31 PM

Yes, my email listed the pre-coupon total too.

I know it's too late for the above poster, but anyone who wants Green Mansions should pick up the "Region 2" disc from the UK. I put that in quotes because not only is it region-free, but it's NTSC, meaning it plays like any American disc. And it's a real DVD, not DVD-R. Just FYI
Old 03-31-10, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by mishii
Anybody else get an email that confirmed shipment that specified a price without the coupon discounts? When I ordered, it showed $50.35 ($45 plus California sales tax). The email telling me that it shipped showed $60.35. Just curious
One of my orders shipped and it showed the total without the coupons. However, when I placed the order on Sunday, the confirmation showed that they took $10 off for the coupons.
Old 03-31-10, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I checked my credit card statement, and it showed the correct amount, despite the full price showing on the shipping confirmation.
Old 03-31-10, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoviePhanatic00
I couldn't 5 I wanted, but picked up Looks Could Kill. Neither "WELCOME09" nor "CABINWB" worked , but "XB592" did give me 20% off the order, so it applies to non-box sets as well.
Damn, I wish I had seen this thread before I placed my already-shipped order
Old 04-01-10, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
Two orders at $45 apiece plus tax:

Order 1: Any Wednesday, Big Circus, Brainstorm, Deadly Tower, El Condor

Order 2: Daddy's Gone a Hunting, Third Day, Tribute to a Bad Man, Westbound, Who's Killing the Great Chefs of Europe.
I placed these orders on Sunday, and the first order shipped Tuesday and arrived yesterday. I've checked them for quality and they seem fine.

My guess is that they already had all these ready (I highly doubt they burn these one-at-a-time as orders come in), and that they're waiting on burning at least one of the titles in my second order. Still, I've got no complaints with their turnaround.
Old 04-01-10, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

This is my first Warner Archive purchase. I assume that it's standard for these to ship sans shrinkwrap?
Old 04-01-10, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
This is my first Warner Archive purchase. I assume that it's standard for these to ship sans shrinkwrap?
Yes
Old 04-07-10, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Any more working Warner coupons right now?
Old 04-07-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 602 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I received an order of five on the weekend, and all of them were shrinkwrapped.
Old 04-08-10, 01:28 AM

Has anybody figured out how to use the new "$5 off $25" email coupon? It reads "Just use this coupon code at checkout" but I don't see any coupon code. It just says "Default Code" under the coupon. I've tried this with different email accounts in different web browsers and used different parts of the links as codes, but haven't had any luck.