Reload this Page >

Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery Bankruptcy-Store Closing Thread-2010

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery Bankruptcy-Store Closing Thread-2010

Old 04-04-10, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery Bankruptcy-Store Closing Thread-2010

so i take it these closings are why there is all of a sudden an inundation of people trying to sell criterions for $20 a pop and mentioning a "red genre tag" in the description?

I really hate bottom feeders.
Old 04-18-10, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My haul so far, all DVD's

Moon
Observe and Report
The Goods
Adventureland

Be Kind Rewind
I Love You Man
Friday the 13th Killer Cut
Harold and Kumar 2
Role Models
Quantom of Solace

Last edited by acdcrocks1980; 04-19-10 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-19-10, 07:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Saratoga Springs, NY store is currently at the 50-60% off stage. New releases are $6 each or 3 for $15, while the catalog titles are still 3 for $10. The cashier said he has no idea when their last day is but will bet anything it will be within 2 weeks from today. I chose not to buy anything today, and will probably return next week sometime to see what's new.

Anyone here live in/near this area? I can continue posting updates if I know someone else is interested.
Old 04-20-10, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Paranormal Activity
Deadgirl
The Crazies
Goodbye Solo
House of the Devil
[Rec]

Joyeaux Noel

Last edited by Undeadcow; 04-28-10 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-25-10, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those of you around the Dallas, NC area (if anyone is) could you tell me if it is worth a trip to the Movie Gallery that is closing? I'm asking because my friend and I plan on going on Tuesday and it is a bit of a trip for us (we live in Spartanburg, SC) and I don't want to make the 1+ hour drive and find nothing.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-10, 10:11 PM
Cool New Member

Our local store put their sign saying this is their last week. Catalog dvds were 3 for 8 and new releases 3 for 12... Seems like they have sold more than 3/4 of the movies. Not much of a selection left, but did find and bought:

Stag Knight,
Legend of the Bog,
Velvet Goldmine,
Simon Says,
Ghosts of Goldfield,
Vampire Party.

Will be going back this weekend. There were some movies that I currently own on VHS and if the dvds still there will "upgrade" them. My vhs are in excellent condition so didn't want to buy used dvds for movies I already own... well, at least not at those prices.
Old 04-27-10, 08:32 PM

Don't expect to get that great of deals from the sales, either you'll end up w/a DVD that doesn't work and you won't get even a fair exchange or you'll get the worse customer service. By the way, if you live like in NY or maybe IL you won't have a store within a reasonable distance. Just joing Netflix, much better which is what I did after all my stores near my are closed and the next one is like 30 mi. No way I will travel that far for a movie.
Old 04-28-10, 10:26 AM
Suspended

The HVs here are also in their final days:3/8. Still picked up the entire Kingpin series(the late David Mills of NYPD Blue,The Wire and even Treme) and a few documentaries. The special interest area was always an attraction for me,even when they were a rental op.Rock concerts, documentaries,even Wallace & Gromit showed up there. Also,as the stores empties out,this area seems to still have some viability. Also,I noticed in the sealed DVD area(usually a rip off at their inflated list prices) they have some 4.99 titles,which come to 2 bucks at the 60% off;found Bottle Rocket and Murphy's Romance in there. Final days may be next Monday or Thursday. Sales people seem to have a clue by the time when the sold fixtures have to be picked up. Last day DVDs are reportedly 49 cents.
Old 04-30-10, 08:56 PM

Ok so here's for those of you who wonder "How many more stores will be closing". A great source of info told me Hollywood Entertainment/Movie Gallery/Game Crazy are closing for business. Now, the exact date of the final closing of the remaining of the stores is not out yet. This notice has not yet been made to the public entirely nor how long will it take them to finalize all liquidation of the remaining stores. Now they will be completely gone.
Old 05-01-10, 04:22 AM

Last 7 days for the store on Post Road in Warwick, RI (they actually have a countdown clock on the counter counting the seconds til the final closing).

All DVD's are now 1.99 or 6/10.00 and as long as you get at least 6, u get the 6 fro 10 pricing for your whole order (1.66 a DVD).

Pickings are slim for new releases but my haul today-
CSI Seasons 4 and 5 (complete)
Dead Like Me Season 2 (complete)

Most customers (myself included) hate that each disc of a TV season is the price of each individual DVD, but was glad that this played into my advantage b/c I waited from Monday to today to a., get my check and b., for the pricing to go down from the 3 for 10 that it was Monday. Going back this weekend b/c they have a bunch of PS2 games in sleeves for 1.99 each and there are a few I havent gotten that I want (pretty much got the whole Need For Speed PS2 run in two trips last weekend.

As for the overall closing of HWV/MG/GC, the store closest to me, Atwood Ave, Cranston, RI has been seemingly putting up the fight for at least a year, and I overheard them last Friday saying they just signed a 3 year lease and told they would be find, then one week later the closing deathnail came down. Word is their liquidation wont start for a few weeks (I am already combing the isles for what I will covet and since its just up the street, I can keep an eye on the dwindeling stock).

I have seen it said in this and the Blockbuster closing thread chastising those of us boasting deals at the demise of an industry and surely needed jobs. I dont disagree with that sentiment. The rental place has been a haven for me ever since I got my first VCR in 1989. I have found memories of looking for either that new movie I havent seen or a classic Im just in the mood for. I stopped renting awhile ago b/c I would rather own and watch on my schedule instead of the time constraint pressure. I know Netflix doesnt have time contraints; I just feel the need to own my collection in its shiny cases. I have been finding myself recently buying my TV seasons on sale at the regular retailers, but waiting for the rentals of the movies going on sale used, usally 3 for 20 or something like that. It bothers me that this will be gone in a few weeks or months, and when they go this will be forever. Wal-Mart keeps contracting their DVD departments. The Best Buy and Target flyers the last few months have been a joke. Last bastion of deals will be the used collections at FYE and, here in the northeast, Newberry Comics.

I will take avantage of the good deals while they are here, but also lamenting once they are gone, they will be gone. Think I will sybolically choose to buy 2012 last. There's a message there....
Old 05-01-10, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh my i need to go to Hollywood Video soon!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-10, 02:15 PM

I don't know if this is the right thread for this. If not, let me know where...

I haven't been keeping up on all the HWV/Blockbuster store closing discussions, but peeked here to see the post saying that apparently all remaining HWV and all Blockbuster rental stores will be closing in the near future? Did I read that right?

So, what are we going to have left for rentals? Is Blockbuster still going to rent online or will the entire movie rental universe be either Netflix online or Redbox in various stores? Not much competition if that's the case. I hadn't even looked at Netflix's stock to see it has doubled or tripled recently. That seems a bit much even given this news which I assume is the reason, but I long ago learned the stock market is often not logical. I found out the problem with Redbox is that they only have recent releases, so if you wait more than 3-6 months Redbox won't have it to rent any more. That would leave Netflix as the only remaining option for older movies if Blockbuster online goes away. As soon as Netflix is the lone monopoly for catalog rentals it'll be interesting to see how their plans skyrocket in price. I guess we'll all be forced into streaming, and it'll be interesting to see how the Internet someday handles all the traffic from millions of people simultaneously streaming all of their movies (in HD).

Most of my HW Videos have already closed, but only 1 Blockbuster in my area has closed so far. Blockbuster is still everywhere and they keep telling me their store has no plans to close. I bought some good stuff at that 1 HW Video store closing, but found out late about the other ones and decided it wasn't worth the long drive to go through the final dregs. On the phone the employee at the 1 closing Blockbuster told me not to waste my time on the last day, so I didn't. Every time Blockbuster has a 5 for $20 used DVD deal, I can't find 5 that I want... mainly because I haven't watched the movies and don't feel like paying $4 per blind buy. I'd rather rent first, so I add it to my "to rent" list which must be a couple hundred long since I stopped renting a couple years ago. Only if something has good word of mouth and I have time to read the reviews do I blind buy. It's easier to blind buy for $3 new at Big Lots than $4 used at Blockbuster (especially with those crappy, dirty rental cases).

Though I thought Netflix was the best of the bunch when I used them, they were quite bad (for me) for getting new releases in a timely manner even if you time your returns to arrive Monday morning, and so often they'd throw in an extra delay (throttling) to throw me off that schedule to the point I gave up trying to get new releases. Even when they got my returns on Monday somehow they'd often skip right past my new releases for that Tuesday at the top of my queue and send me some older catalog title instead. Then about 2 years ago my life got really busy and I completely stopped renting, and I haven't rented anything since. I sort of lost the urge to watch new releases having to fight for them (and losing) so often at Netflix and not being able to get them for weeks/months with the common "very long wait" status, and I stopped caring about new releases and adopted the philosophy that I'll watch it eventually. If I ever rejoined Netflix, I'd have a huge backlog of recent (1-2 year old) releases that would be catalog titles now and could get those without having to wait weeks/months like for the new releases. However, I'm still too busy to justify renting because when I rent I feel obligated to try to maximize how many I can rent per month which would mean having to watch them all the night they arrive making me a zombie for work the next day. I can't do that any more.

I have certainly noticed the sucky Best Buy and Target movie ads. I can't remember the last thing I bought, but it's saving me money and allowing me slowly to work through my backlog of purchases. I just hope that we have more than just Redbox locally and Netflix online to rent because they both have their downsides as I previously mentioned.
Old 05-01-10, 02:36 PM

I got Dumbo 60th anniversary edition for about four bucks. that was my best find.
Old 05-01-10, 08:18 PM
Cool New Member

Popped into the Movie Gallery near me to get "Up in the Air" and "A Serious Man" for $4.99 a piece. Catalog titles are 3 for $12. I believe the new release DVD's were 3 for $18 and catalog Blu-Ray were $10.99 a piece.
Old 05-02-10, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up a few of DVD's at the Movie Gallery in Pickens, SC today. They are in their last eight days and everything is $2.99 or less.

Extract
A Serious Man
Shadow Puppets (mainly for James Marsters)

They were $2.98 each.

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 05-02-10 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-02-10, 06:59 AM
Cool New Member

This is very true. They are done and will shut all doors to all stores in 6-8 weeks depending on how fast the stores sell out. All stores are supposed to go into liquidation starting by the end of next week.
Old 05-02-10, 12:29 PM

Today's the last day for the NW Indy store. Yesterday, DVDs were 12 for $10 and Blus were 1.99 (they had 3 left, I grabbed 2 - the other was a dupe). The place was really cleared out -- just a week before they had a big inventory of DVDs (which were 2.99) and Blus (3.99)...
Old 05-02-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUST...e=domesticNews

Hasn't started at my local store yet but I'm sure it will be pretty soon.
Old 05-02-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Hasn't started at my local store yet but I'm sure it will be pretty soon.
Mine either. I know the staff pretty well and the only word from corporate is "2 weeks" and "indefinite."
Old 05-02-10, 09:39 PM

It's official now, all HV/MG/GC stores are closing within the next 2 mos forever. HV is closing their doors to the public once and for all. I wish the employees which will loose their jobs are already looking forward to a better future. Liquidations are going on already on the majority of the stores that were left open. If anyone wants great deals, I'll adv to wait at least 1 mo under liquidation. My friend works at corporat and says their liquidations will be different than just one store closing, they will be huge now. So, look for your nearest store at hollywoodvideo.com and ck on their liquidation status by stopping by.
Old 05-03-10, 10:02 AM

I think there's only 1 remaining location of HWV/GC within 15 miles, but I'll go there when the time is right. The question is... when will that be?

I'm uncertain based on the comments if they're all closing in 2 weeks or 2 months or it varies by store. The last time I picked up stuff from a closing HWV, it was on the 6th day from the end and BDs were mostly $3.99-$4.99. I went back 3 days later and there were no BDs left. $5 or less is pretty much the price I need to justify buying used BDs. So I don't know how long it'll take the price to hit that level, but I hope people will post here. It would be cool if all the stores' price changes moved in sync this time.

I guess I can call that store a couple times a week, but I know they start to get pretty annoyed by that especially as it's people working for a liquidator at that point. All they'll probably say is "come on in". If you ask what their current BD prices are they'll probably say "it varies anywhere from $4 to $15 each" which is not particularly helpful. Since it's over 5 miles out of my way I'm not going to drive there just on hope.
Old 05-03-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
I guess I can call that store a couple times a week, but I know they start to get pretty annoyed by that especially as it's people working for a liquidator at that point. All they'll probably say is "come on in". If you ask what their current BD prices are they'll probably say "it varies anywhere from $4 to $15 each" which is not particularly helpful. Since it's over 5 miles out of my way I'm not going to drive there just on hope.
You could always try calling and see what they actually say instead of saying, "they'll probably say".

You never know.
Old 05-03-10, 01:45 PM

Hate to dance on a company's grave...esspecially since HV actually was bought out by a different company. However, they treated their employees worse than the tales I've heard from BB, routinely screwed us out of incentives, and had the shittiest store policies. I'm glad all of the middle and store management will be out on their ass...can you say "do you want fries with that?"

Ironically I missed that our local store was closing up shop 2 months ago. Called today to ask when the liquidation was beginning and was told it's been going for 7 weeks, Friday is the end, and all they have left is a few games at 70% off.
Old 05-04-10, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by komsik
If you go to:

http://www.hollywoodvideo.com/storelocator.aspx

You can search for stores closing in your area, it will say "Closing Sale - Savings Storewide" if there are any closing.
so if there's no Closing sale it means the price is still normal?
Old 05-04-10, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Cool. It appears that the Rialto, CA store isn't closing just yet.

Saved me a trip.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.