DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Desperate Housewives on DVD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/567827-desperate-housewives-dvd.html)

rjh_54 01-11-10 01:52 PM

Desperate Housewives on DVD?

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on the Desperate Housewives DVD sets? I checked FYE and brand new they are $39.99, and I also checked Best Buy, where they are also $39.99, which is a ripoff because Best Buy usually has their prices much lower than FYE's. I have season 2, but does anyone know where I can get seasons 1 and 3 - 5 for relatively cheap? $39.99 isn't too bad for 6-disc sets, but I feel like I can probably find them cheaper. I'd prefer not to order them online, since the discs in those types of cases tend to come loose all the time, so Amazon's out.

rkndkn 01-11-10 03:50 PM

Re: Desperate Housewives on DVD?

Try check out Barnes & Noble's Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. Seasons 1 - 5 qualify for this promotion (though S5 is higher priced). I think you can order online for instore pickup, since online prices tend to be less than instore. If you do have to order online, you can easily exchange any damaged items at a local B&N.

(And you may be able to use one of the discount links, also, in the B&N thread.)

rjh_54 01-11-10 04:27 PM

Darn. My local B&N is weird, they're very small and don't sell CDs and DVDs :/

I was in Target tonight and they had seasons 1 and 2 in a combo pack for $49.99. Considering at Best Buy and FYE they're $39.99 apiece this is a steal! Too bad I already bought season 2 on Saturday.

Trevor 01-11-10 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by rjh_54 (Post 9937141)
I was in Target tonight and they had seasons 1 and 2 in a combo pack for $49.99. Considering at Best Buy and FYE they're $39.99 apiece this is a steal! Too bad I already bought season 2 on Saturday.

Buy the pack and return season 2.

rjh_54 01-11-10 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9937178)
Buy the pack and return season 2.

The sets are individually wrapped? Target doesn't sell season 2 individually, so will they let me return it there (if I say I got it as a gift or something)? Or are you saying I should return it somewhere else?

I actually thought about doing this and bringing season 2 to FYE and returning it, but I already got rid of the "used" stickers that came with the set I originally bought, plus they put the used price tags under the shrink wrap. Plus I wasn't sure if the sets were individually wrapped or not.

IIRC, both UPCs were covered under the wrapper. One was just a plain white sticker and the other was a sticker that said "NOT FOR INDIVIDUAL RESALE" in big bold black letters.

Trevor 01-11-10 05:15 PM

No, it would have had to be individually wrapped and/or your original one unwrapped of course.

rjh_54 01-11-10 05:39 PM

Sorry, it's been a long day for me! Let me get this straight:

So you're saying I keep my unwrapped S2 I bought over the weekend and bring back the wrapped one that comes in the pack to someplace other than Target?

Trevor 01-11-10 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by rjh_54 (Post 9937292)
Sorry, it's been a long day for me! Let me get this straight:

So you're saying I keep my unwrapped S2 I bought over the weekend and bring back the wrapped one that comes in the pack to someplace other than Target?

No. I was just trying to say that if the two season 2s were in the exact same condition/wrapping/UPC, you could have returned the new unopened one to the original store of the one you opened.

bigjim25 01-11-10 06:00 PM

FYE does sell new sets but they can put the used stickers on the outside. As long as the UPC code is the same on both sets, you should have no problem returning the new one with the used receipt at FYE for a refund. I had to do that one time when I found a 2 pack for $5 cheaper than the price of just one I bought at FYE.

If FYE won't give you cash back, you have a probably have a couple of options:
1. Just take the refund on a gift card
2. Tell them this was bought for you as a gift but they bought the wrong season & you want to exchange it for the right one.

rjh_54 01-11-10 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
you could have returned the new unopened one to the original store of the one you opened.

I bought the used copy of S2 at an FYE in another state (just over the border), so that's an hour drive. If you're saying I have to return it to the one I originally bought it at, maybe it's not worth it to go back an hour just to save a few bucks.

But on the other hand, my local FYE is gonna think I'm crazy! I've been in there so many times recently returning or trading in or buying things they're gonna be like "WTF?"!

bigjim25 01-11-10 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by rjh_54 (Post 9937386)
I bought the used copy of S2 at an FYE in another state (just over the border), so that's an hour drive. If you're saying I have to return it to the one I originally bought it at, maybe it's not worth it to go back an hour just to save a few bucks.

It can be any FYE you return it at. I bought something at one in Lakeland, FL. I got home to WV only to see I had it. So the next time I went to Beckley, WV I returned. A 12 hour drive, 1 way, would have been bad to return a $15 DVD. ;)

gdstudent 01-11-10 06:36 PM

That’s one of the hardest shows to get a good deal on. I had to bite my lip and just pay full price on a couple of the seasons.

Best Buy randomly drops the price down to $25, Target also does this. We just have to keep our eyes open. I still need to get Season 5.

If you don’t mind them being used MovieStop has some pretty good prices.

rjh_54 01-11-10 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by gdstudent (Post 9937416)
That’s one of the hardest shows to get a good deal on. I had to bite my lip and just pay full price on a couple of the seasons.

Best Buy randomly drops the price down to $25, Target also does this. We just have to keep our eyes open. I still need to get Season 5.

If you don’t mind them being used MovieStop has some pretty good prices.

Yeah, I've been checking tons of stores like crazy to see if they had any decent deals, but none recently have had this show to get for a decent price. I really wish we had a MovieStop by us, everyone raves about them and it's the one store that we don't have by us.

I honestly wouldn't mind paying $40 for the sets, but there are so many DVDs I still need to buy.

That'sAllFolks 01-11-10 08:21 PM

Join the Disney Club. (see DVD Clubs subforum)

Wait until there is a B1G60%off and load up on TV sets. Disney Movie Club usually has a lower MSRP. That along w/ the coupons brings the price to around 15 bucks a season. If you use the coupons right, you can get some killer deals .. though you may have to eat it on one or two items. Though you may have to spend a lot of money at once, you can really make out on the avg.

rjh_54 01-11-10 09:19 PM

I did the math and did some online research and I figured it out. FYE sells season 1 used for $19.99, so I think I'll just pick that up if my store has a used copy in stock (which they probably do), that way I'll only have spent a total of $46 on the two seasons as opposed to Target's $50 for the two. If they don't have a used copy in stock, I'll do what I planned on, and buy the two pack and return season 2 to FYE with the receipt.

I'll still be waiting to find seasons 3 - 5 for a decent price. I know I can find season 3 used for $19.99 (also thanks to research), but $29.99 for season 4 used is a bit much, and $37.99 for season 5 used is absolutely out of the question!

lennylu 01-19-10 11:31 PM

Never noticed this before, but while at Best Buy over the weekend, I noticed that they had the first four seasons of DH in new slimline packaging--the single disc packaging with multiple discs in it. While I think it's a nice spacesaver, it clashes too greatly with my existing collection... I'm glad my Amazon order (which arrived today) had my Season 3 & 4 in the older bulkier packaging!

rjh_54 02-03-10 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by lennylu (Post 9952949)
Never noticed this before, but while at Best Buy over the weekend, I noticed that they had the first four seasons of DH in new slimline packaging--the single disc packaging with multiple discs in it. While I think it's a nice spacesaver, it clashes too greatly with my existing collection... I'm glad my Amazon order (which arrived today) had my Season 3 & 4 in the older bulkier packaging!

Yeah, I like the older bulkier packaging because they all line up nicely and are all the same size. I borrowed season 2 from a friend before I bought it and I must say, the new packaging is quite odd - there's no episode guide booklet, the episode names are printed on the inside of the case, and there are no longer anymore episode summaries. Not all of the bonus features are listed anywhere in the packaging (they were ALL listed in the booklet that came with the old packaging, but since disc contents are reprinted on the reverse side of the jacket, it only lists a few features on Disc 6 and says "...and more!").

I have a quick question though. Is there any way to contact Buena Vista Home Video for an episode guide? I bought season 3 used and it came with an episode guide, but the discs didn't work so I had to get it exchanged. I contemplated keeping the episode guide in case the replacement set I got didn't come with one, but I decided not to because who would keep the episode guide but trade in the DVD? Sure enough, the new copy I got did not come with an episode guide. What I was wondering is, can I contact Buena Vista Home Entertainment in some way to request an episode guide? Is that possible? If not, how can I get an episode guide? They were very helpful to me for seasons 1 and 2 because I could just look in the booklet to read episode summaries and see if I had watched it or not and it allowed me to skip to my favorite episodes of the season. Any help?

disneyguy 02-04-10 12:35 PM

This might help:

http://epguides.com/DesperateHousewives/

Originally Posted by rjh_54 (Post 9979987)
Yeah, I like the older bulkier packaging because they all line up nicely and are all the same size. I borrowed season 2 from a friend before I bought it and I must say, the new packaging is quite odd - there's no episode guide booklet, the episode names are printed on the inside of the case, and there are no longer anymore episode summaries. Not all of the bonus features are listed anywhere in the packaging (they were ALL listed in the booklet that came with the old packaging, but since disc contents are reprinted on the reverse side of the jacket, it only lists a few features on Disc 6 and says "...and more!").

I have a quick question though. Is there any way to contact Buena Vista Home Video for an episode guide? I bought season 3 used and it came with an episode guide, but the discs didn't work so I had to get it exchanged. I contemplated keeping the episode guide in case the replacement set I got didn't come with one, but I decided not to because who would keep the episode guide but trade in the DVD? Sure enough, the new copy I got did not come with an episode guide. What I was wondering is, can I contact Buena Vista Home Entertainment in some way to request an episode guide? Is that possible? If not, how can I get an episode guide? They were very helpful to me for seasons 1 and 2 because I could just look in the booklet to read episode summaries and see if I had watched it or not and it allowed me to skip to my favorite episodes of the season. Any help?

marald 02-04-10 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by rjh_54 (Post 9979987)

One of my seasons was missing an episode guide so I contacted them and they mailed me one. Mine was bought new of course and soon after release date. Apparently none of the abc shows on dvd are including episode guide booklets anymore, which is something I've always enjoyed. The fifth season didn't have one only the names of the episode's on the box. The price they charge someone should get the booklet.

mattysemo247 02-04-10 02:10 PM

If you don't mind used check out Gohastings.com.

Stuff goes on sale there all the time and can usually be combined with their b2g1f

davidh777 02-04-10 02:47 PM

I liked the episode guide that was styled as Edie's real-estate brochure. That might have been the same year they did a fancy ep guide for Lost too. Not surprising they're cutting corners, though.

Heat 02-04-10 03:28 PM

I know it's probably over, but on that Barnes and Noble sale you could have ordered it online and had it shipped to your house. Their rates are reasonable, I purchased a CD set last fall.

rjh_54 02-04-10 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by marald (Post 9981333)
One of my seasons was missing an episode guide so I contacted them and they mailed me one. Mine was bought new of course and soon after release date. Apparently none of the abc shows on dvd are including episode guide booklets anymore, which is something I've always enjoyed. The fifth season didn't have one only the names of the episode's on the box. The price they charge someone should get the booklet.

What e-mail address should I contact them at?