Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - January '10

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - January '10

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-10, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - January '1

Originally Posted by fujishig
On a separate note, how are their blu-rays in terms of quality?
Not so good. http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2626...ollection.html
With an AVC MPEG-4 upconverted 1080p (in 1.78:1) transfer, 'Champloo' is a bit of a video mess. The series will never look sparkling like many more recent shows do, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be presented in anything other than its natural state. Tinkering with video elements is never a good thing, and there are plenty of reviews here that prove such.

Color banding is evident, even in skin tones in close up shots. Solid colors and clothing don't suffer as much from banding as background elements. Some dancing grain looks like artifacting, but it isn't (while some light artifacting looks a bit like grain at times). Flashback grain looks awkward, as it doesn't remain constant. Some sequences have a light brightness flicker, while others sport solid lines that will fade in and out in small patches, possibly due to some of the tinkering. Some shots come through fuzz, lacking any clear definition, as well. While all of this can sound like there is another issue at hand, the DNR issue becomes loud and clear when grain freezes in place hideously, shifting every few seconds rather than constantly.

Items in distance shots, or in zoomed close ups have a blocky appearance, while others have a light color bleed around any exposed skin. Black levels vary in this moody program, but all look natural in their environments. Colors are wide-ranging, but not often all that bright (to be fair, though, the show isn't exactly sunshine, puppies, and kisses). In the baseball game, there are a few instances of heads disappearing, but this could be the fault of the animation, not the most egregious DNR ever

Last edited by junglalien; 01-16-10 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-16-10, 04:15 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 534 Likes on 470 Posts
Re: Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - January '1

Originally Posted by Koinosuke
Does Funimation have any real stated BD strategy? I'm looking at the Right Stuf sale, and there are DVD titles that I'd like to get -- if they're not going to be released on BD in the future.
Short answer is no. They have dropping the BD set prices on most of its releases.
The recent wave of blu-ray titles -- Ouran, Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid, Gunslinger Girl II, and so on (sob) -- has burned me, and that's making me "twice shy" about buying future Funi DVDs at this point... which sucks.
The more "mainstream" titles will be more likely to get the BD treatment. It all depends on whether if you want to watch it now versus later on. Though as junglalien has noted just before this post, the recent BD releases are rather sub-par.
Old 01-16-10, 04:16 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by RockJack
I have a small question about the re-releases of GENEON titles.

For example, the Familiar of Zero re-release (Keepcase) is listed with 4DVDs instead of 3DVDs.

1 additional DVD...whats the secret?
It's a typo. It's a 3-disc re-release.
Old 01-18-10, 09:41 AM
WTK

Captivating Deals on All Titles From NETCOMICS! @ RightStuf.com

For four days only, find captivating deals on manhwa and more from NETCOMICS – from favorites like Totally Captivated, Let Dai and 100% Perfect Girl to new “adult” one-shots such as Dining Bar Akira, Black-Winged Love, and more!

From now through January 21, take 33% OFF the retail prices of all titles from NETCOMICS! (Including items that are in stock, on order and special order!)

How? Just use the following reusable coupon code when you check out through RightStuf.com:

Coupon Code: captivating
Expires: January 21, 2010 at 11:59 p.m. CST

REMEMBER: If you’re a Got Anime member, you can stack your discounts for even more savings! (This means you have the potential to save up to 40% OFF the MSRP on all books from NETCOMICS. Check out www.gotanime.com for details.)

* Not sure which products are included in the sale? To get started, just click on the “Captivating Deals” graphic on RightStuf.com: It will take you to a list of all of the NETCOMICS items we carry! (Please note: Bargain Bin, Weekly Special and Closeout items are not eligible for this sale because they’re already awesome deals, and this will be noted on the individual product pages for these items!)

Totally Captivated © Hajin Yoo
Old 01-18-10, 12:13 PM
Banned

Blood + - Part Two $11.23
http://www.deepdiscount.com/Blood---...VVviewprod.htm

Blood + - Part Three $11.23
http://www.deepdiscount.com/Blood---...VVviewprod.htm

Blood + - Part Four $11.23
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...uctId=57325636
Old 01-18-10, 09:00 PM
Tap

Stopped by Big Lots. I was in a rush and it was fairly picked over, so I doubt I got them all. As usual, $3/each. Titles not on the master list are in bold.

Baccano! 4
Dragonball Z Double Feature: Fusion Reborn / Wrath of the Dragon (Steelbook)
Dragonball Z Double Feature: The History of Trunks / Bardock the Father of Goku (Steelbook)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Conquerer of Shamballa (not the lenticular cover this time)
Tsubasa 10, 12
xxxHolic 2

There were also other DBZ, Basilisk, Yu Gi Oh, and Desert Punk titles that I've forgotten.
Old 01-18-10, 10:29 PM

Nevermind, please ignore this post.

Last edited by RockJack; 01-19-10 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-19-10, 03:10 PM
WTK

Wal-Mart Exclusive (B&M / YMMV)

Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit: Complete Collection @ $29.96
Old 01-19-10, 04:09 PM
WTK

TRSI Minor Bargain Update
Old 01-19-10, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
Wal-Mart Exclusive (B&M / YMMV)

Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit: Complete Collection @ $29.96
Ooooo I will nab one of these if there is one at my Walmart. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-19-10, 07:29 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Anono
Ooooo I will nab one of these if there is one at my Walmart. Thanks for the heads up!
Just a FYI, the packaging is STACKpak.
Old 01-20-10, 01:20 AM

Rightstuf.com - Shawne's Deals of the Day for Friday, January 20 2010:

Deal 10: Karau Phantom DVD Savings Bundle(Hyb)
$189.94 // $24.99 (86.8%) // *** additional discounts are prohibited!

(additional 5 bucks off)
Old 01-20-10, 05:44 PM
WTK

Best Buy (B&M) Coupons
Old 01-20-10, 08:16 PM

Not sure of any end-date or if its YMMV but the Moviestop here has been running 40% off all anime since Black Friday.
Old 01-21-10, 09:33 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by Bezerker
Not sure of any end-date or if its YMMV but the Moviestop here has been running 40% off all anime since Black Friday.
MovieStop has recently opened their websites (including store locator). Between that and their Facebook page, they will be updating their promos.

The current one listed on site is Buy 3, Get 1 Free on All Used DVDs.
Old 01-21-10, 10:37 AM
WTK

A Wonderland of Savings! Save at Least 33% Off Manga & More from TOKYOPOP! @ RightStuf.com

Discover a wonderland of savings on manga and books from TOKYOPOP (and its Blu line) – including both new series, like Alice in the Country of Hearts, Portrait of M & N, Maria Holic, Happy Café and Future Diary, and familiar favorites, such as Fate/Stay Night, Junjo Romantica, the Twelve Kingdoms novels, Gakuen Alice and much more!

From now through February 1, take 33% OFF the retail prices of all titles from TOKYOPOP. (Including items that are in stock, on order and special order!)

How? Just use the following reusable coupon code when you check out through RightStuf.com:

Coupon Code: alice
Expires: February 1, 2010 at 11:59 p.m. CST

REMEMBER: If you’re a Got Anime member, you can stack your discounts for even more savings! (This means you have the potential to save up to 40% OFF the MSRP on books from TOKYOPOP. Check out www.gotanime.com for details.)

* Not sure which products are included in the sale? To get started, just click on the “Wonderland of Savings” graphic on RightStuf.com: It will take you to a list of all of the TOKYOPOP items we carry! (Please note: Bargain Bin, Weekly Special and Closeout items are not eligible for this sale because they’re already awesome deals, and this will be noted on the individual product pages for these items!)

Alice in the Country of Hearts: Story by QuinRose and Art by Hoshino Soumei.
©QuinRose, ©SOUMEI HOSHINO 2009

Last edited by WTK; 01-21-10 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-21-10, 05:38 PM

I just have a small question about these keppcases from FUNiMATiON like the ones for Fate/Stay Night.

I just watched the "Hey Nice Packing" Video for Fate/Stay Night and the new re-release is a Keepcase with 6DVDs inside.

The problem is how can i remove the DVDs? I couldnt see any (push)button in the middle of the case, there was a hole and 3-4 little teeth were holding the dvds.

So how can i remove it? If i am bending the DVD from the side it could break and get damaged.

And whats about that 2 discs are overlapping? Isnt this a potential risk for scratches?

I hate this kind of packing

Last edited by RockJack; 01-21-10 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-21-10, 08:15 PM
WTK

TRSI Bargain Bin Update
Old 01-21-10, 09:25 PM

So, at last years best buy 1/2 off sale, grabbed Gurren Lagann 1 LE and since they didnt have the LE of 2/3 just picked up Part 2 and Part 3 in the normal DVD case

Finally got around to checking it out and loved it especially the english voice over. Tore through part 1 both discs and then opened the next set only to find out i picked up the version thats japanese only :0

Looking around Ive found part 2 LE for a reasonable price, but cant seem to find any place that has part 3 LE actually in stock. Is there any place that this is still available? Any place thats cheaper than MSRP?

TIA
Old 01-21-10, 09:53 PM
WTK

Weekly Specials & Bargain Bin / Closeout Items Highlights from RightStuf.com

» RightStuf.com Mega Update
» Weekly Specials
» Bargain Bin: DVD / Book / Others
» Closeout Items
» Movie Packs
» Shawne's Deal of the Day

Highlights - Weekly Specials (Updates on Thursdays unless stated otherwise)
Old 01-21-10, 09:58 PM
WTK

I just have a small question about these keppcases from FUNiMATiON like the ones for Fate/Stay Night.

I just watched the "Hey Nice Packing" Video for Fate/Stay Night and the new re-release is a Keepcase with 6DVDs inside.

The problem is how can i remove the DVDs? I couldnt see any (push)button in the middle of the case, there was a hole and 3-4 little teeth were holding the dvds.

So how can i remove it? If i am bending the DVD from the side it could break and get damaged.

And whats about that 2 discs are overlapping? Isnt this a potential risk for scratches?

I hate this kind of packing
Is it Scanavo hubs? It was kind hard to see from that particular video. If it is, you would just hold/apply pressure to hub and lift DVD up from one of the sides.
Originally Posted by D_N_G
So, at last years best buy 1/2 off sale, grabbed Gurren Lagann 1 LE and since they didnt have the LE of 2/3 just picked up Part 2 and Part 3 in the normal DVD case

Finally got around to checking it out and loved it especially the english voice over. Tore through part 1 both discs and then opened the next set only to find out i picked up the version thats japanese only :0

Looking around Ive found part 2 LE for a reasonable price, but cant seem to find any place that has part 3 LE actually in stock. Is there any place that this is still available? Any place thats cheaper than MSRP?

TIA
Part 3 LE is considered to be OOP. You try sites such as AnimeNation.com and Robert's Anime Cornerstore though you will be paying closer to the SRP.
Old 01-21-10, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
Is it Scanavo hubs? It was kind hard to see from that particular video. If it is, you would just hold/apply pressure to hub and lift DVD up from one of the sides.
I think i found it...

So you have to be very careful when removing the DVDs.
Old 01-22-10, 02:04 AM

So you have to be very careful when removing the DVDs.
The Twelve Kingdoms sets are packaged with those type cases I believe. I have had no problems with them so far. Easy enough for me!

WTK-- What disc does season 2 of Tsubasa start? Is it 7? Seems like it would be cheaper getting those deals than getting the thinpack. Just wondering.
Old 01-22-10, 09:30 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by SteelyMag
WTK-- What disc does season 2 of Tsubasa start? Is it 7? Seems like it would be cheaper getting those deals than getting the thinpack. Just wondering.
Yes. It starts with episode 27.
Old 01-22-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

20% off coupon - Big Lots

http://www.biglots.com/coupon/buzzclubcoupon.aspx

happy hunting

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.