Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon UK: Russ Meyer 18-Film Collection - £23.97 ($40 US)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon UK: Russ Meyer 18-Film Collection - £23.97 ($40 US)

Old 04-01-10, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon UK: Russ Meyer 18-Film Collection - £23.97 ($40 US)

Amazon generally delivers in about one week to me here in TX. Faster than Amazon US super saver shipping.
Old 04-02-10, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First order on Amazon UK. Didn't even have to set up another account, just logged in with my regular Amazon id and pw, simple. Can't beat the price, even if I need to upgrade my DVD player which is going on 6-7 years old now and ready to croak. Thanks OP!
Old 04-02-10, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts

I didn't expect this would go over so well so quickly! Kinda figured anyone who wanted it jumped at the earlier price (which was exceptional). Nice to know Mr. Meyer's work will (hopefully) be making some new fans!

Originally Posted by Greg.
I've never ordered any imports before (mainly because I don't yet have a region free player), and just have two quick questions. How long does it take to ship an order overseas, and is there ever any complications?
As someone else mentioned, you can expect delivery in about a week, maybe a bit more. I've never had a problem through several orders from both the U.K and the French Amazon sites (and one from the German site as well). I suppose damage along the journey can happen, but the likelihood is probably about as much as it would be if it were being shipped across the country. Anything's possible. Amazon U.K. packages up their stuff extremely well.

And are the prices always this cheap on Amazon UK? Just scrolling through some of the bestsellers while doing a quick price conversion, and I'm in shock at how cheap some of the DVDs are when compared to their US counterparts (particularly the box sets).
I've had several box sets sitting in my cart for days now waiting until the already ridiculously low prices drop as low as possible (or the stars to otherwise align). The prices fluctuate almost daily, similar to the way they do on the U.S. amazon site, so it's best to load a bunch of stuff in your cart and just check in every day. The fluctuations aren't bad, up a pound, down a pound, but every once in a while, everything goes down, and that's when my mouse finger gets itchy.

Some examples (the first three just dropped again today):

CLAUDE CHABROL COLLECTION VOL. 1 (8 discs): £11.99
CLAUDE CHABROL COLLECTION VOL. 2 (8 discs): £10.97
ERIC ROHMER COLLECTION (8 discs): £11.47
JEAN PIERRE MELVILLE COLLECTION (6 discs): £15.85 (has been even lower)
NEO REALISM COLLECTION (5 discs): £12.47
SHERLOCK HOLMES DEFINITIVE COLLECTION (14 films; same as the U.S. version from MPI): £14.99 (this price has been steady for quite some time)

POWELL & PRESSBURGER COLLECTION (11 discs): £20.25
This one went up quite a bit the past two days, but it frequently drops down to about £15, making it worth keeping in your cart
DAVID LEAN CENTENARY COLLECTION (10 discs): £23.63
Another one that has gone back up, but was recently down to £16+, so one to keep an eye on.

Thanks again OP for the heads up, I'll probably order the set along with some other things in the coming days.
I'm sure the Meyer set will go back up at some point, but since I first started this thread, the price has largely hovered around £23, so even if it goes back up in a day or two, it's still a phenomenal deal.

I'm tempted to order another set myself just because I know I could flip the discs here in the city for a tidy profit!

And finally, well, just because, another clip from the beyond-awesome COMMON LAW CABIN . . .
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cbTQXO2GNJg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cbTQXO2GNJg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by Brian T; 04-02-10 at 01:33 AM.
Old 04-02-10, 06:06 AM

dayummmm!!
Old 04-02-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well my Coffin Joe boxset has shipped already, the Russ Meyer collection hasn't. It was showing "in stock" when I ordered now its saying dispatched in 1-3 weeks. I really hope it ships soon so I can bust into it for the challenge.
Old 04-02-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH
so I can bust into it for the challenge.
Pun intended?
Old 04-03-10, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T
Pun intended?
Didn't even catch that one myself!
Old 04-03-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Well my Coffin Joe boxset has shipped already, the Russ Meyer collection hasn't. It was showing "in stock" when I ordered now its saying dispatched in 1-3 weeks. I really hope it ships soon so I can bust into it for the challenge.
Post up what you think of the R2 Coffin Joe set.

The customer reviews on Amazon UK aren't too friendly with the transfer.
Old 04-03-10, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Post up what you think of the R2 Coffin Joe set.

The customer reviews on Amazon UK aren't too friendly with the transfer.
will do. I honestly didn't even read those reviews before ordering. I couldn't pass it up for the price considering how much the US sets go for and how much content you get in this set.
Old 04-06-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Meyer box is down to £17.47 today. Not a huge drop, but a drop nonetheless.
Old 04-09-10, 09:42 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Got mine today! Boobacious weekend ahead.
Old 04-11-10, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

www.dvdbeaver.com has put reviews up for the set, and the PQ and Audio is definitely NOT top notch. Not crazy about it. There are individual reviews so I won't be linking them all.
Old 04-11-10, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wish I could play DVD's from other regions. Does anyone know what the cheapest, and still decent, region free player is?

Also, are the Region Free BD players also equipped for region free DVD playback? There's a part of me considering to sell my PS3 and get a Region Free BD player because I watch so many more movies than I play games. Honestly, I'm not much of a gamer (though I do enjoy them from time to time).
Old 04-11-10, 09:02 AM

These will most likely never look any better, though. The Russ Meyer estate is notoriously stingy with the materials. Most of these were shot on 16mm, so that doesn't help.
Old 04-11-10, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
I wish I could play DVD's from other regions. Does anyone know what the cheapest, and still decent, region free player is?
philips 5990?
Old 04-11-10, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whatever the current $35 Philips player at wal-mart is. They always have one that is easily cracked. Thinking of it, I should probably get one now for whenever my current one (that I've had for at least 3 years) decides to crap out.
Old 04-11-10, 12:28 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by manicsounds
www.dvdbeaver.com has put reviews up for the set, and the PQ and Audio is definitely NOT top notch. Not crazy about it. There are individual reviews so I won't be linking them all.
I haven't read their review yet, but I read the ones on amazon.co.uk and was a little worried when I read the one that talked about the 'ghosting' problem. For as cheap as it was, I ordered it anyway. I watched "Vixen" last night- the picture quality was okay, but the choppiness anytime there was movement on screen is noticeable. I have an Oppo player that plays other Region 2 stuff very well. The extras don't seem to have the problem so I have to assume it was in the digital transfer. For under 30 bucks, I can't complain, especially with the commentaries and extras on the discs. I highly recommend the interview with the stars of Vixen.
Old 04-11-10, 01:48 PM

The extras on all of these discs are great! Mondo Topless is boring, but the Jonathan Ross show attached it fantastic! The US discs might not have the ghosting, but they are also like $40 each, and they are missing most of these extras. There is really nothing to complain about with these packages.
Old 04-11-10, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by manicsounds
No one has ever said they were top notch. BUT, they are the absolute best versions of these films you will find anywhere on the planet. If you want to hold off, you may be waiting one hell of a long time. In fact, it's doubtful they'll ever be released by a decent company in R1 as long as the clowns running Meyer's estate (and selling his hideous R1 DVDs) are still alive.

By the way, I watched these on a Malata region-free player that is several years old and a real workhorse, and have seen NONE of this choppiness people are reporting, and I only bought this set last year. I'm doubting this is something everyone is going to experience.
Old 04-11-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I could play DVD's from other regions.
I thought this set was Region free?
Old 04-11-10, 06:17 PM

It is region free. The only real issue is the PAL video.
Old 04-11-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wait, so will this play on my PS3 or HD-A30?
Old 04-12-10, 01:45 AM

It should play on your PS3 i believe it plays PAL (i could be wrong). All my blu-ray players play pal (even my sony), so you should be ok.

Beyond that i cant' believe anyone is complaining about PQ @@ $2.20 or so a disk-

b
Old 04-12-10, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Brian T
No one has ever said they were top notch. BUT, they are the absolute best versions of these films you will find anywhere on the planet. If you want to hold off, you may be waiting one hell of a long time. In fact, it's doubtful they'll ever be released by a decent company in R1 as long as the clowns running Meyer's estate (and selling his hideous R1 DVDs) are still alive.
This is very true. BUY NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY!
Old 04-12-10, 12:48 PM

This set is really only missing 3 of his films that have been released so far. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is available in a great SE from Fox, Fanny Hill is only available in Germany with a German dub and German subs, and Europe in the Raw I just noticed is only available as part of an "early years" set from RM films at a typically absurd price. If Arrow could get a hold of Fanny Hill, Europe in the Raw, and The Seven Minutes, I'd be a happy camper.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.