Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon UK: Russ Meyer 18-Film Collection - £23.97 ($40 US)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon UK: Russ Meyer 18-Film Collection - £23.97 ($40 US)

Old 12-05-09, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon UK: Russ Meyer 18-Film Collection - £23.97 ($40 US)

Huh - well I suppose it might be good to let them know that several of the sets were damaged in the same way - maybe they have a QA problem they'd like to know about.
Old 12-05-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Can anyone list the specs, audio and subtitles, and extras?
Well, all are fullscreen, 2.0 audio with no subs. The extras are fantastic, here is the homepage for the set at Arrow
Old 12-06-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Watched Vixen today - holy cow.

Just sampling Meyer's commentary for it currently and noticed the film audio is out-of-synch during most of it. Is this just a case of poor editing or is there something wrong with my copy?
Old 12-06-09, 09:24 PM

Thanks OP. Just placed an order yesterday. It's a blind buy but from what I hear on here I think I am going to enjoy this set :-)
Old 12-06-09, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Watched Vixen today - holy cow.

Just sampling Meyer's commentary for it currently and noticed the film audio is out-of-synch during most of it. Is this just a case of poor editing or is there something wrong with my copy?
It's a flaw in the disc. Mine has it too. It may be on one of the other ones as well. Meyer's commentaries are interesting, but sadly they were recorded when he was getting on in years (and starting to lose it), so there's a lot of repetition from one commentary to the next, derailed trains of thought, suspect anecdotes, and the usual dirty-old-man sex talk. They're informative, of course, but collectively they made me wish he'd recorded them back in the 80's instead of later in life. The pussycats track on FASTER, however, is a blast, as all three ladies are still pretty sharp.

VIXEN is a key picture in Meyer's filmography. The unrelated "sequels" are the products of a vulgar old man, but VIXEN showcases his entire worldview at it's cockeyed best, as well as his one-of-a-kind approach to editing and dialogue. COMMON LAW CABIN (see my clip on an earlier page of this thread), FASTER PUSSYCAT and GOOD MORNING AND GOODBYE are also rich in the same kind of angry, rapid-fire dialogue (minus the chronic racial material) that makes VIXEN such a standout.

Last edited by Brian T; 12-06-09 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-06-09, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

^ Thanks for all the info - Common Law Cabin looks wild. I think I'll start back with Mr. Teas and go forward from there. After BVD, I was eager to see Erica Gavin again, so I skipped ahead in the chronology. :P

Watching the trailer reel on the Vixen disc made me want to have an all night marathon. Best to pace myself, though .

Last edited by joe_b; 12-06-09 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-07-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit
A bittersweet surprise today when I got home from work. A package from Amazon UK was sitting on my porch. I opened it, excited that I got it so quickly, only to notice that on the top left of the packaging, the cardboard is completely ripped and torn apart. I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle of returning though.

EDIT: WOW! I sent them a message explaining the problem and got the following message:

When sending a replacement for an damaged item, we usually request that you
return the original item to Amazon.co.uk within 30 days of the date on which
Amazon.co.uk confirms we will issue a replacement. However, as the cost of
returning the package is in this case prohibitively expensive, we ask that you
keep the original item with our compliments. Perhaps you would like to donate it
to a charity in your area if you feel it would be appropriate to do so. There
will of course be no additional charge for the replacement order.

Wow! I absolutely love Amazon UK! Now THAT is customer service!

Got my replacement set today. It arrived in excellent condition. Kudos to Amazon UK for their amazing customer service.
Old 12-07-09, 03:51 PM

Thanks to Brian T for the heads up on this. I gave up years ago on finding affordable decent non-bootleg DVDs of the Meyer films. To get 18 in a set and pay less than $2.50 each is just amazing. I first saw Faster Pussycat Kill Kill fifteen years ago with a friend who owned a local record store. I think he paid $50 or $75 for a VHS copy of just that movie direct from Russ Meyer's company through mail order.
Old 12-08-09, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Stephen El
I first saw Faster Pussycat Kill Kill fifteen years ago with a friend who owned a local record store. I think he paid $50 or $75 for a VHS copy of just that movie direct from Russ Meyer's company through mail order.
That was pretty much the only way to see them back then, unless an indie video store was nearby with copies on hand, or you could find bootlegs of those same tapes, which were often as highly priced as the originals. There were decent laserdiscs of LORNA, FASTER PUSSYCAT and the VIXEN FILMS (which is where the commentaries in the U.K. set originate), but like everything else, they were mainly available only through Meyer's company (in fact, they're still sold there!).

In trying to maintain control of his films right up to the end of his life, Meyer missed a lot of opportunities to gain an even wider audience by licencing them out to companies with the clout to get them in stores at reasonable prices, but I suppose he's from that era of do-it-yourself exploitation (most of the movies in this set were made with crews of less than ten people, not including the actors), and since he owned the rights to nearly everything he did (lucky man!), it seems to have meant he could only trust himself to release them on home video formats. Thank god he lived long enough to do a few audio commentaries, and that Arrow was able to source some exceptional vintage and contemporary supplemental features and interviews. Interesting that it was the British who put most of this stuff together (even the vintage stuff), instead of Americans (considering the "all-American-ness" and cultural specificity of Meyer's output), but then again, Meyer never gave anyone in the states a chance, nor have the controllers of his estate. The Incredibly Strange Film Show episode that's on one of these discs, another British program, is essential viewing as well.

The U.S. DVDs of Meyer's DVDs surfaced recently at the flagship stores of a couple of major music store chains here in Toronto (but not at their satellite stores in the burbs, for the most part), priced around $26 each, but the packaging on them just looks so cheap and awful that it's tough to picture a lot of people buying them (especially if they do a little research about the transfer quality). But while the library remains under the control of Meyer's later-years assistant/nurse and her lover, who's actually so proud of his awful DVD sleeve designs that he puts his own name on the front of every DVD (!!), we probably won't see the films given the treatment in Region 1 that they've already received in Europe. Rule Britannia etc. etc.

Seriously, check out the Russ Meyer website for a perfect example of how NOT to market the man and his legendary films. All expense was spared, apparently.
http://www.rmfilms.com
Sadly, they probably still make a decent buck selling Meyer's stuff, yet they still make you download an order form and mail or fax it to them, for god's sake.

Anyways, just for kicks, here's what passes for metaphor in a Russ Meyer film. Gotta love it:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sv2aq0KKqvs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sv2aq0KKqvs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by Brian T; 12-08-09 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-08-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Luckily, back in the pre-dvd days, I had found a local rental place that actually had all of his older films on VHS for rent, Id called inquiring about BVOD, and when he mentioned having his other films, I was pleased.

Cant wait for my set to arrive... hopefully today
Old 12-08-09, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joe_b
After BVD, I was eager to see Erica Gavin again, so I skipped ahead in the chronology. :P
She might be my favorite Meyer girl - she's an almost elemental force of nature in Vixen!
Old 12-17-09, 12:28 PM

Got this in the mail the other day. Watched Faster Pussycat...Kill!Kill! and Mudhoney so far. Some unique/fun stuff for sure!

Watched on my CyberHome region-free/NTSC->PAL player I picked up at Target a few years ago. I thought I read somewhere on here the PS3 supported PAL, but I get a format not supported message (latest firmware).
Old 04-01-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great news for anyone who missed out on this fantastic deal! Amazon U.K. have now topped it. Current price of £17.99 is an absolute all-time low. That's about $27 U.S. for EIGHTEEN films with the best available transfers and copious supplements; even less once they remove the VAT for overseas customers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000FAOAX8/

Get it while you can.

Last edited by Brian T; 04-01-10 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-01-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Great news for anyone who missed out on this fantastic deal! Amazon U.K. have now topped it. Current price of £17.99 is an absolute all-time low. That's about $27 U.S. for EIGHTEEN films with the best available transfers and copious supplements; even less once they remove the VAT for overseas customers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000FAOAX8/

Get it while you can.
Thank you! Picking up this weekend for sure.
Old 04-01-10, 11:50 AM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Finally bought this set. $29.08 shipped.
Thanks for the update.
Old 04-01-10, 12:02 PM

Dang, I thought I got a good deal when I bought them one at a time for $9 each!
Old 04-01-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. Just ordered. $28.10 shipped. Sweet.
Old 04-01-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally forgot about this deal...haha
Old 04-01-10, 12:33 PM

The price is continuing to drop. I just purchased it on 1 April at 1030 hours Pacific Time for 15 pounds, 31 pence plus 3 pounds 8 pence shipping, total of 18 pounds, 39 pence including shipping, with VAT removed automatically.

Blind buy for me, but after checking out some of his films on Youtube, the dialogue was so crisp and entertaining, I had to get it.

Thank you OP. In for one.
Old 04-01-10, 12:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Just in time for the DVDTalk B-Movie Challenge!
Old 04-01-10, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$30 US...I'm definitely in.
Old 04-01-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered along with the Coffin Joe set for $46.xx shipped! Great deal for about 25 movies! Thanks again for bumping this thread!
Old 04-01-10, 04:24 PM

Big thanks for this one as it fell way off of my radar! $29.08 shipped.
Old 04-01-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What a deal, I always forget to buy this. $29.08 shipped for the best these movies have looked.
Old 04-01-10, 09:43 PM

I've never ordered any imports before (mainly because I don't yet have a region free player), and just have two quick questions. How long does it take to ship an order overseas, and is there ever any complications? And are the prices always this cheap on Amazon UK? Just scrolling through some of the bestsellers while doing a quick price conversion, and I'm in shock at how cheap some of the DVDs are when compared to their US counterparts (particularly the box sets).

Thanks again OP for the heads up, I'll probably order the set along with some other things in the coming days.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.