(DEAD) DeepDiscount 40% Off MSRP Sale 11/13/09-11/29/09

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) DeepDiscount 40% Off MSRP Sale 11/13/09-11/29/09

Old 11-27-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DeepDiscount 40% Off MSRP Sale 11/13/09-11/29/09

Originally Posted by Ginwen
This is the 9th business day today, Monday will be 10 (not saying it'll get there then anyway, since it's media mail).
I thought Saturdays counted as business days...
Old 11-27-09, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Like many of you, not a lot to get me going with this "sale" ... and this is from someone who's spent 4 figures on these sales in the past (and has dropped about $400 this week at other places). I did place an order for a few CDs ... only to get the notice that all of the things I selected are out of stock, and I'll probably have to cancel the order to get everything by Christmas I still might sneak in a few paperbacks this weekend. New regular paperbacks (not the bigger "trade" size) are rarely more than 10% off, so 30% is a solid deal.

I do have a question (sorry if its buried somewhere else in the thread and I missed it) - does anyone else see discrepancies between DDs MSRP and other places (like Amazon)? There have been a few things I've noticed at Amazon where the sale price is more than 60% of the list price. So I go over to DD, figuring this'll be one of the rare things I can get a better deal for - only to find their list price is higher, making Amazon still the better deal
Old 11-27-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit
Yeah, I'd say take er easy. It will come. If not, they're usually pretty good about replacement orders/refunds.
Old 11-27-09, 07:42 PM
Banned

Well, only thing I bought was Homicide when it was $60. I was really hoping for some way to bring that Star Wars 30th Anniversary CD box down closer to $50. I wonder if/when the price will come down elsewhere. I hate that these damn soundtracks are so expensive. That's why I never got around to buying the previous box set.
Old 11-27-09, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Disappointed the coupons are coming up as expired. Had hoped to place an order, but oh well, Deepdiscount you won't be getting my business now.

Probably for the best since it seems like they've still aligned themselves with those "web loyalty" club scams that the government is investigating. Don't feel like doing business with companies that keep cahoots with those folks.
Old 11-27-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I ordered nothing from DD this year, which is great for me, but weird. What with BN and Amazon, I've spent all I can spend, and then some.
Old 11-27-09, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit
Nope, just M-F, no holidays, no weekends, and the first day doesn't count. Given that it's close to Christmas though, media mail is even slower than usual so if that's what they used it may take longer.

Last edited by Ginwen; 11-27-09 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-27-09, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
...does anyone else see discrepancies between DDs MSRP and other places (like Amazon)?
I've noticed this for quite a while as it makes lots of product higher than it *should* be on a regular/non-sale basis. Frequently it seems that the MSRP is higher the first 6 months or so following release after which it suddenly drops to the "regular" MSRP. Not everything, though, but enough to make one suspicious and/or take notice.
Old 11-28-09, 10:17 AM

Picked up a couple of titles with a $5 off and it was way cheaper than anyone else. Kudos DD
Old 11-28-09, 11:45 AM

Not sure if they were part of the 40% off sale, but I got Bonnie and Clyde 2 disc SE and the henry fonda version of Mister Roberts for 7.98 each. Also got The Apartment CE for 8.97.
Old 11-28-09, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

It also appears that they added some new titles today a day after the coupons expired. Hmm...
Old 11-29-09, 08:46 AM

This so-called "sale" is almost over and I have spent a grand total of $24.96--less than a third of the least I've ever spent on a semi-annual DD sale. It will be interesting to see if DD feels motivated to offer some real values over the rest of the holiday season. One can hope.
Old 11-29-09, 08:57 AM

Didn't give DD a penny this time around. I am not a fan of this sale. Very disappointed. Farscape was a good deal though!
Old 11-29-09, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by drmar35mm
This so-called "sale" is almost over and I have spent a grand total of $24.96--less than a third of the least I've ever spent on a semi-annual DD sale. It will be interesting to see if DD feels motivated to offer some real values over the rest of the holiday season. One can hope.
The people who frequent this forum represent a tiny fraction of the total number of people who purchase online. DD did spend a lot of time promoting this sale in mainstream media (newpaper ads), mailouts, and, of course, emailings. That's a lot of promotion.

My hunch is that they will do well, at a higher profit margin, than they've done on their other sales. Most people don't have the patience or discipline to sort through a lot of sites, some quite obscure, and wait until particular items go on sale.

By starting the sale nearly two weeks before Black Friday, they were able to extract a good bit of money from people who didn't wait until the Black Friday pricing came out.

I spent a lot less than I had previously (about $80 on three orders for gifts), but unlike a lot of people on this forum, I don't begrudge them for what they've done. They're in business to make money, not to build our libraries.
And if they go under, they won't be in a position to run some of the really good sales on limited items they have in past years.
Old 11-29-09, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
The people who frequent this forum represent a tiny fraction of the total number of people who purchase online. DD did spend a lot of time promoting this sale in mainstream media (newpaper ads), mailouts, and, of course, emailings. That's a lot of promotion.

My hunch is that they will do well, at a higher profit margin, than they've done on their other sales. Most people don't have the patience or discipline to sort through a lot of sites, some quite obscure, and wait until particular items go on sale.

By starting the sale nearly two weeks before Black Friday, they were able to extract a good bit of money from people who didn't wait until the Black Friday pricing came out.

I spent a lot less than I had previously (about $80 on three orders for gifts), but unlike a lot of people on this forum, I don't begrudge them for what they've done. They're in business to make money, not to build our libraries.
And if they go under, they won't be in a position to run some of the really good sales on limited items they have in past years.
Now there is a voice of reason. Best post of the thread.
Old 11-29-09, 03:06 PM
Suspended

Considering I've gotten like 9 e-mails from them regarding this one sale, I'm pretty certain it couldn't possibly be living up to past sale expectations. Unless it was just a glitch.
Old 11-29-09, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by old-boo-radley
Considering I've gotten like 9 e-mails from them regarding this one sale, I'm pretty certain it couldn't possibly be living up to past sale expectations. Unless it was just a glitch.
Funny, I'm signed up to receive promotion emails from them and I haven't received any about the sale. I don't think they could possibly have had as many purchases as usual. One thing the $5 off $25 coupons have never happened before and were obviously created because of the lack of sales this go round.
Old 11-29-09, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can appreciate people standing up for DD, but this is a forum about bargains; therefore, if people don't feel something is a bargain, this is the place they will usually post something about it. This "sale" is far below expectations for what most people are used to seeing from DD. Considering the other sales that have been going on lately, DD's sale is sub-par. If this sale is more profitable for DD, then good for them. But us bargain hunters, like the ones that post on this forum, have the right to express our disappointment. I don't participate in any other site's forum, but I imagine the people who post on this forum are not the only ones disgruntled by this sale.
Old 11-29-09, 03:34 PM

I'm new to this forum, but have been affiliate selling deep discount stuff for years.

First, I think this sale while obviously not as good as others, still had some deals, for example even though they advertised it as 40% off retail, there were still tons of stuff at 50-80% off, so it was not 40% across the board.

Second, where do you guys get these promo codes? I mean the original source, not the forum, so I guess thats a question for whoever originally posted them. If I had them from the beginning of the sale, I would have made a lot more sales than just getting it luckily towards the end. You'd think their affiliate program would send them out, but they dont.

Third, anybody have any codes that work today?
Old 11-29-09, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just ordered "Model Shop" for $11.97, bringing my total spent at DeepDiscount and DVD Planet to a little over $300. Every item I bought was several dollars cheaper than anywhere else online - and in several cases cheaper than it would have been during the 25% off sale.

Of course, there is a lot more competition nowadays, and a lot of the discounted prices are still higher than, say, Amazon - but that was true for the last 25% off sale too, when many of the Blu-ray discs that I wanted were a few dollars cheaper at Amazon.

Overall, it's been a rather harsh month for my wallet. Between this sale, the Amazon sales, and the Barnes and Noble sale I've spent a little over $1100.
Old 11-29-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am still debating buying Casablanca for $17.37 despite the lack of a coupon. DD is the only e-tailor (that I know of) selling it for under $20. hmmm...
Old 11-29-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tofferman
I am still debating buying Casablanca for $17.37 despite the lack of a coupon. DD is the only e-tailor (that I know of) selling it for under $20. hmmm...
FWIW, it's the same price over at DVDPlanet.

Rob
Old 11-29-09, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by RobCA
FWIW, it's the same price over at DVDPlanet.

Rob
They are owned by the same company so it's not much of a surprise there. They often have very similar prices, and if they do I chose to go with DVDPlanet because of their rewards program.
Old 11-29-09, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition
I can appreciate people standing up for DD, but this is a forum about bargains; therefore, if people don't feel something is a bargain, this is the place they will usually post something about it. This "sale" is far below expectations for what most people are used to seeing from DD. Considering the other sales that have been going on lately, DD's sale is sub-par. If this sale is more profitable for DD, then good for them. But us bargain hunters, like the ones that post on this forum, have the right to express our disappointment. I don't participate in any other site's forum, but I imagine the people who post on this forum are not the only ones disgruntled by this sale.
I'm with you on this, Road. I'm not knocking DD, either, and am glad they offer the occasional sales throughout the year (B1G1, the 20/25% off, etc.). However, one doesn't have to be slamming DD in order to note that he/she has spent far less during this sale than the previous pre-Thanksgiving sales.

It might be worth noting that, even with the coupon, DD was making more money than with the usual sale. Even if an order totaled exactly the $25 minimum, the $5 savings was still only 20%. I'm sure that most orders exceeded the minimum, and the $5 off a larger item (say, the $75 Farscape) represented far less than the usual discount. Also, with earlier sales, someone could order one $10 item & DD would still have to offer the item at the discount. To qualify for EACH coupon use, a customer had to spend at least $25. DD isn't obligated to offer any further discounts, but the $5 coupons are a way to encourage the real bargain-hunters & longtime customers who recognize that the current 'sale' prices aren't much better than their normal prices. Offering more coupon codes to use would be a win-win situation for DD. They would still get full "sale" price on smaller items & from people unaware of the codes and would get more orders from the regular customers (who would still be paying more the items than in past sales). Just sayin'.

Without the $5 off coupons...which accounted for around a 20% savings on most of the items I bought...I would have only gotten a few of the Deep Daily deals.

If DD did better on this sale, fine for them. I want them to stay around, too. Still, I had quite a few items that I would have bought at a further discount (or with more $5 off $25).
Old 11-29-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondheim
I just ordered "Model Shop" for $11.97, bringing my total spent at DeepDiscount and DVD Planet to a little over $300. Every item I bought was several dollars cheaper than anywhere else online - and in several cases cheaper than it would have been during the 25% off sale.

Of course, there is a lot more competition nowadays, and a lot of the discounted prices are still higher than, say, Amazon - but that was true for the last 25% off sale too, when many of the Blu-ray discs that I wanted were a few dollars cheaper at Amazon.

Overall, it's been a rather harsh month for my wallet. Between this sale, the Amazon sales, and the Barnes and Noble sale I've spent a little over $1100.
Very similar experience here as well. Spent a little over $250 with DD/DVD Planet. But between Amazon, DD, Barnes & Noble and the WB Archives, I've dropped just over $950. This is more than 3 times the amount I had originally been budgeting for DVDs this season, but sadly consistent with what I usually end up spending this time of the year. I honestly thought this year would be different, but there were just too many compelling deals out there to let pass by.

Hoping to subsidize at least a third of this by selling off some rare OoP titles I've been holding onto for a while. Until I get paid for those, I may start spontaneously breaking out in flop sweat several times a day.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.