DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   MGM dvds $1 dollar tree (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/563891-mgm-dvds-%241-dollar-tree.html)

seriousmill 10-28-09 03:55 PM

MGM dvds $1 dollar tree

I went to my local dollar tree and found alot of new MGM dvds for 1 i picked up

stay hungry (arnold)
bad influence 1990
kansas 1988
shalanko (connery, bardot)

they also had
agent cody banks
barbershop 2
balled of jack and rose
and a few others i cant remember

mike07 10-28-09 06:19 PM

Re: MGM dvds $1 dollar tree

Wow, all I've ever seen at my local Dollar Tree are public domain crap, oh, and anime...not interested in either. Gonna have to check it out again, were they in a special display or mixed in with the old junk?

30smovies 10-28-09 06:31 PM

Wow - Dollar Tree may be come the new Big Lots!!! (Many of those titles have been in the $3 BL bin).

Like supermike07, I've rarely seen anything at DT beyond public domain stuff though last year they had a handful of music DVDs - Shania Twain, Janet Jackson, Johnny Cash, Jewel, a few others - but they had the same ones at every store. I definately will be hitting DT every few days in search of this sale!

seriousmill 10-28-09 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by supermike07 (Post 9802305)
Wow, all I've ever seen at my local Dollar Tree are public domain crap, oh, and anime...not interested in either. Gonna have to check it out again, were they in a special display or mixed in with the old junk?

They had them by the register at my store

GoldenWheels 10-28-09 06:44 PM

It is the end of the year...chances are you will see a fair amount of MGM everywhere as they try and bring their taxable inventory down/4th quarter profits up.

I think you will see better releases than this stuff too....though this is damn good at 1$.

JohnIan 10-28-09 11:13 PM

Haven't been to mine in such a long time.

They had a very tiny selection and worse yet... they have the movies postioned right next to the exhaust of their Coke mini frig. Hot air blowing over the DVDs 27/7. I didn't even bother with the ones close to the vents.

I did however pick up "The Kentuckian", it scratched. But it's a dollar. If I like I'll pursue it mint later.

jgorow 10-28-09 11:22 PM

will have to start going back to dollar tree, the pretenders and the george thorogood concert dvds I picked up there last year were both really great.

Alan Smithee 10-28-09 11:54 PM

The music DVDs never showed up at the ones here. Wonder if I'll have better luck with these.

MooMooMooMoo 10-29-09 01:42 AM

The music dvd's never showed here either, so I've sort of given up on them.

newginafets 10-29-09 03:53 AM

hmmm never been to dollar tree, but it's just beside Big Lots. I might check them soon!

Phibes 10-29-09 08:12 AM

Usually my DT has public domain crap, but I was in there recently and they had CDs from Barenaked Ladies, Phish, and a slew of Tony Orlando and Dawn [blushes] special editions. Bought 'em all. Usually it's off label classical music or kid songs.

I hope these MGM titles show up too! Last time I looked the DVDs were public domain crap. I don't remember those music DVDs being at my DT either though.

Cardsfan111 10-29-09 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by JohnIan (Post 9802880)
They had a very tiny selection and worse yet... they have the movies postioned right next to the exhaust of their Coke mini frig. Hot air blowing over the DVDs 27/7. I didn't even bother with the ones close to the vents.

It's those extra 3 hours that cause the most damage. ;)

I've picked up several books at the Dollar Tree store in recent months. I haven't been in a few weeks, but now I'll have to make the occasional stop.

Drake 10-29-09 01:19 PM

I just visited 2 Dollar Trees south of Boston and Nada for DVDs in fact the cashier told me she knew that the other 3 stores in the area didn't carry DVDs either!...so YMMV.

seriousmill 10-29-09 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 9803887)
I just visited 2 Dollar Trees south of Boston and Nada for DVDs in fact the cashier told me she knew that the other 3 stores in the area didn't carry DVDs either!...so YMMV.

Maybe they might not have put them out yet when i bought mine yesturday the cashier said they had just got those in today.That morning I went there.

Drake 10-29-09 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by seriousmill (Post 9804163)
Maybe they might not have put them out yet when i bought mine yesturday the cashier said they had just got those in today.That morning I went there.

Yea maybe, also they may be waiting till after Halloween i was surprised at how much Halloween merchandise this place carried the whole front of the store was black and orange with Halloween crap.

hilts 10-29-09 04:10 PM

Checked the store on Burnet Rd in Austin - nothing but a few PD titles. Thanks for the heads-up, though, it's worth a stop if I'm passing by.

fiction 10-29-09 05:15 PM

My Dollar Tree had many copies of:

Smooth Talk
Barbershop 2
A Guy Thing
Madison
Thunderbird 6
Dance with Lisa: Red Hot Salsa Made Simple
Hello Kitty

And then there were many other movies, mostly from the early 80s, that they only had 1 or 2 copies.

That'sAllFolks 10-29-09 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by fiction (Post 9804407)

Smooth Talk
Barbershop 2
A Guy Thing
Madison
Thunderbird 6
Hello Kitty

And then there were many other movies, mostly from the early 80s, that they only had 1 or 2 copies.

Where are you? .. I;m in Houson and the DT I went to had nada. I did get some Tony Orlando CDs a while back (like another poster mentioned), but no MGM titles.

Chop2Chip10 10-29-09 07:03 PM

Thanks for the heads up here. Just checked a Dollar Tree and saw a bunch. I picked up some copies of movies that I didn't want to pay $3 for at Big Lots:

Hi Mom
That Championship Season
Bad Influence
Be Cool
Bandits
De-Lovely

Also saw both copies of Barbershop, though only 1 Barbershop, but plenty of Barbershop 2. Lots of BL titles there as well.

CyntharianM 10-29-09 09:03 PM

Smooth Talk
Barbershop 2
A Guy Thing
Madison
Thunderbird 6
Hello Kitty

My store also had De-lovely, Basket(?), and a couple I can't remember. I'll be checking a few of my other local stores.

jgorow 10-29-09 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chop2Chip10 (Post 9804567)
Thanks for the heads up here. Just checked a Dollar Tree and saw a bunch. I picked up some copies of movies that I didn't want to pay $3 for at Big Lots:

Hi Mom
That Championship Season
Bad Influence
Be Cool
Bandits
De-Lovely

Also saw both copies of Barbershop, though only 1 Barbershop, but plenty of Barbershop 2. Lots of BL titles there as well.

bandits is not a great film, but certainly not bad, quite entertaining. de-lovely on the other hand, is very good, its the biography of cole porter, one of the greatest songwriters of the early 20th century.

Chop2Chip10 10-29-09 10:36 PM

Bandits is always one that I have wanted to see, can't pass much up for $1. De-Lovely stars Ashley Judd...had to try it.

Torchur317 10-30-09 06:27 PM

Nothing at mine....

conehead433 10-30-09 07:05 PM

Nothing at my store here in Thomasville, GA. This reminds me of searching Dollar Tree stores for the music DVDs a while back. I finally managed to find some at one of the locations in Tallahassee, FL. None of the other stores in Tallahassee had any at all. So I wonder if they are selective about what stores get certain items.

jgorow 10-30-09 10:45 PM

went to a coupl of dollar tree locations and no mgm dvds, prob the "big lots horders" grabbed them all, I predict that these titles will be about 25 cents each on ebay and amzon marketplace quite soon