Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Criterion DVD's and Blu-Rays 50% off at Barnes and Noble 11/10

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
So what was your latest haul?
Hit
Friends of Eddie Coyle
Made in USA
Last Metro Blu-ray
Third Man Blu-ray(I already own this but figured that it would make a good Xmas gift for my brother)
Old 11-16-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Both the Grand Rapids stores are pretty well depleted, but Woodland Mall is a lot better than Rivertown Crossings - which is practically sold out

the WM store has been great with an awesome selection and employees who haven't blinked with the coupons....but finally got a kid who tried to say I couldn't use them with the 50% off discount already...I told him to read the fine print and he finally got it to work, but then said "$9.54" instead of $9.01 for the $29.95 titles I had...I figured it wasn't worth the hassle to argue about 50 cents, but was curious how it happened...turns out he somehow took the $5 off BEFORE my members discount...so that was only $1 instead of $1.50 - odd. But..no big whoop...for $37 I added to the haul:

Larisa Shepitko Eclipse
The Hit
Taking of Power By Louis XIV
Il Generale Della Rovere
Old 11-16-09, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had to do 14 individual transactions because the cashier was uptight about the
coupon. My friend bought 8 and I got the following
sweet movie
metropolitan
jigoku
last days of disco
la haine

Also made an order in store (he wouldn't let me ship to home) but he cashier told me not to come back with a pile of coupons...
Old 11-16-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally got the $5 off $20 coupon refused by a clerk who I swear rang me up last week without any complaints.
Fortunately, they were seriously depleted and I could only find 2 that I tried to buy. Perhaps it's time to move on to another branch.
Old 11-16-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ordered M and The Third Man(Blu)...

The Third Man was Canceled. But after getting an email telling me it was shipping tomorrow!
Oh well, now they are trying to charge me for shipping! BULL!
Old 11-16-09, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
Finally got the $5 off $20 coupon refused by a clerk who I swear rang me up last week without any complaints.
Fortunately, they were seriously depleted and I could only find 2 that I tried to buy. Perhaps it's time to move on to another branch.
Which location was this? Thanks.
Old 11-16-09, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
Which location was this? Thanks.
Union Square
Old 11-16-09, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Hit
Friends of Eddie Coyle
Made in USA
Last Metro Blu-ray
Third Man Blu-ray (I already own this but figured that it would make a good Xmas gift for my brother)
Good titles. Third Man (BD) was a score, as it's becoming very hard to find.

I got Coyle this round too, now just waiting for Grand Illusion to come in, and I'm done.
Old 11-17-09, 01:16 AM

Curious to know what people's thoughts are on Visconti's White Nights? I was thinking about it as a Blind Buy. I have seen The Leopard and enjoyed it, as well as L'Innocente.
Old 11-17-09, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Picked up:

Twenty Four Eyes
Seventh Seal BD
The Last Metro BD
The Man Who Fell To Earth BD
Pierrot le fou BD

Only a few BD left...
Old 11-17-09, 07:48 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

B&N.com split my order into four shipments... one of which is delayed for about a week.
Old 11-17-09, 10:20 AM

On Sunday I stopped by the closest B&N with three coupons (25% off, $5 off $20 and $5 off $50) and left the store with the John Cassavetes set and Pigs, Pimps & Prostitutes for around $68 plus tax.

Didn't have any problems using the coupons. The 25% one was applied to the Cassevetes, the $5 to the Imamura set, and then $5 off of everything.

Just made my second online order: the Louis Malle Eclipse set and Pygmalion plus CDs from Tito Puente and Culture Club (odd combination that).

Luckily I have a B&N on the way home from work. Think I'll stop by today and pick up another DVD.
Old 11-17-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I finally found a store that is accommodating with coupons. Of course, I've bled them dry and they have nothing else that I want at this point.
Old 11-17-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
Union Square
Ditto on Union Sq, but I argued, and after a manager refused, she picked up the phone and called a "man behind the curtain" who told her to accept the coupon. So I walked out the door with The Naked Kiss and Big Deal on Madonna Street for $9.25/each.

"Argued" is probably the wrong word, since I merely politely informed the clerk that I had used the coupon at a nearby B&N just the day before, which caused the clerk to call a manager that was probably 20 years younger than the clerk, she then called "someone" and accepted the coupon w/an attitude.

Last edited by BambooLounge; 11-17-09 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-17-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Got "The Third Man" BD delivered yesterday, and it came in the plastic case! Yes!
Old 11-17-09, 12:57 PM

Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on The Complete Monterey Pop (BD). Anyone want to help me decide? I've got it down to $26.49 online (with coupons).
Old 11-17-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Naturally, after posting how I got them to accept the coupon at Union Sq earlier in the day, I subsequently got the coupon refused at the 5th Ave store, but I was picking up The Third Man and it was in the plastic case, so I spent the extra $5.
Old 11-17-09, 01:44 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got an e-mail about an hour ago saying my order was going to be delayed, UPS just dropped off that said order.

4 down 19 to go.
Old 11-17-09, 02:20 PM

I'm thinking maybe the big guns at B&N had a pow wow about all of these $5 off coupons and brought it to the attn of the store managers and then on down the line. I only have one B&N close to me and I have gone in there a few times and used the coupon with no problems. Usually somehow I got different employees each time. Not that it mattered. Anyway I went yesterday to grab another blu-ray and tried to use the coupon and the clerk said she couldn't get it to take it since the blu-ray was only $18 after discounts. I tried to explain to her what it said on it but she didn't really understand it or care. She called a mgr who came over and said that I couldn't use it. I read her what it said on it and she said their register just "won't take it". I just laughed and grabbed the coupon back and told her not to worry about it. I'm not complaining it's just funny that I used it 3 or 4 times with no problems at all and then suddenly I was denied. Has anyone else run into this situation yet?
Old 11-17-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brizz
Both the Grand Rapids stores are pretty well depleted, but Woodland Mall is a lot better than Rivertown Crossings - which is practically sold out
I find these kinds of posts very amusing...I get visions of DVD Talk members descending upon the store for days and days, vacuuming up every Criterion in sight like there's no tomorrow!

This is the most addictive sale to come along since the glory days before the dotcom bubble burst, when people would get those crazy coupons like $10 off $10 purchases from reel.com. (I am dating myself here).
Old 11-17-09, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on The Complete Monterey Pop (BD). Anyone want to help me decide? I've got it down to $26.49 online (with coupons).
You should get it. Even if you don't end up liking it, you could ebay it and get your money back. I bought it this weekend with the 25% off coupon. The first thing I watched was the Jimi Hendrix film and I already knew I had my money's worth.
Old 11-17-09, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
Oh yeah definitely grab it now while you can. You will be kicking yourself if you don't.
Old 11-17-09, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
You should get it. Even if you don't end up liking it, you could ebay it and get your money back. I bought it this weekend with the 25% off coupon. The first thing I watched was the Jimi Hendrix film and I already knew I had my money's worth.
Cool, thanks. I love Hendrix, so I feel like it's worth it for that alone. I also love films like "The Last Waltz" which seem similar in content. I thought about the ebay thing, too, but I'd never end up doing it. I watched a few clips on YouTube to see what it was like and I was a little underwhelmed, but it was bad quality video and audio, so that could be a big factor.

Originally Posted by for_reels
Oh yeah definitely grab it now while you can. You will be kicking yourself if you don't.
Thanks for the feedback, I'm certainly leaning that way.
Old 11-17-09, 04:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just want to let you folks know that stores are indeed restocking Criterion products during the sale.

My local store had new copies of previously sold out titles that were available today.
Old 11-17-09, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by smirnoffski
Just want to let you folks know that stores are indeed restocking Criterion products during the sale.

My local store had new copies of previously sold out titles that were available today.
Yup. This happened a bunch during the last Criterion Sale at B&N.

Still waiting for the closest store to me to get Wings of Desire on BD in stock.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.