DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Criterion DVD's and Blu-Rays 50% off at Barnes and Noble 11/10

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Criterion DVD's and Blu-Rays 50% off at Barnes and Noble 11/10

Originally Posted by Kory
Oh you bastard. I was at Rivertown last night and couldn't find "The Human Condition"! Ugh. lol.
Go to www.bn.com and choose the pick-up option at the store that you're going to. They will hold it for 3 days and you don't pay for it online. You pay at the store, so you can still use those $5 off coupons. I currently have 4 titles awaiting me at the Westport store.
Old 11-12-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlinke01
Just since some have been commenting on films here and there on this board, I thought I would too. I absolutely hated 3 Women.
I absolutely loved it and can't recommend it enough.
Old 11-12-09, 12:40 PM

Online orders are shipped incredibly fast! I ordered my Cassavettes set (for a cool $44.99) at around 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday and got it at 12:30 p.m. today. That's crazy considering post offices were closed yesterday for Veteran's Day.

By the way, has anyone come acoss Metropolitan in store? I couldn't find it in mine.

Also, to those who have seen Monsoon Wedding: what is the tone like of this movie? Are there a ton of subtitles? The reason I ask is because I was thinking of buying it for my teenage sister as a way to introduce her to good movies.
Old 11-12-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Go to www.bn.com and choose the pick-up option at the store that you're going to. They will hold it for 3 days and you don't pay for it online. You pay at the store, so you can still use those $5 off coupons. I currently have 4 titles awaiting me at the Westport store.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm visiting my girlfriend from Thursday to Sunday and she has to work Saturday so I looked at the Barnes & Noble by her and they had The Human Condition and the Cassavetes set both, so I had them hold both for me. Pretty cool feature.
Old 11-12-09, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by punit
I got Monsoon Wedding, Kagemusha, Pierrot le fou and Wings of Desire for $15.93 each with 3 day expedited shipping absolutely free. Being a non-member, i couldn't have asked for more.

Tips:
1. Use military URL - http://www.bn.com/military. When prompted later choose "Personal use". This will take 10% off and give you free 3 day expedited shipping
2. Create a brand new account. This is a pain but the coupon in next step requires it.
3. Enter coupon - F4B9F7R . Gives you 20%. Order 1 title per order for maximum benefit.

Enjoy
Does the 10% military discount stack with 10% off for being a member?
Old 11-12-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
Does the 10% military discount stack with 10% off for being a member?
The military.com bookstore discount is only 6% off on DVDs, and does not stack with a members discount. If you have a B&N membership the 10% members discount would apply along with the free shipping offer. However It does currently say it is 10% on the web page but that is misleading since the offer applies to books and not DVDs.
Old 11-12-09, 01:35 PM

i cant wait - hitting up 2 stores this evening with a friend. my wish list is becoming quite long.
Old 11-12-09, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got back from a B&N and the damn lady wouldn't let me use the $5 off on each DVD.The coupon does in fact state the $5 is to be applied after all other discounts so after 50% off and another 10% I don't see how anyone is getting away with this?
What am I and the cashier missing ?

I was lucky that she took the $5 dollar off $50 purchase ...she at first didn't want to do that.
Old 11-12-09, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Drake
I just got back from a B&N and the damn lady wouldn't let me use the $5 off on each DVD.The coupon does in fact state the $5 is to be applied after all other discounts so after 50% off and another 10% I don't see how anyone is getting away with this?
What am I and the cashier missing ?

I was lucky that she took the $5 dollar off $50 purchase ...she at first didn't want to do that.
I suggest reading the fine print of the coupon and how it defines the selling price at the cash register. Evidently the cashier was only reading the first sentence how the $5 off is applied. The selling price is the price at the cash register before taxes and discounts are applied.
Old 11-12-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not only is The Third man no longer in stock once again, they seem to have removed the listing from the search. I still have this just because it was in my cart so I still have the link to it:

http://btobvideo.barnesandnoble.com/...824&x=27141211

You can't do the in store search for it anymore, and not only that but when you go to the DVD version they don't have the link to the BD version listed there either.
Old 11-12-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
I suggest reading the fine print of the coupon and how it defines the selling price at the cash register. Evidently the cashier was only reading the first sentence how the $5 off is applied. The selling price is the price at the cash register before taxes and discounts are applied.
Yea I see that , still makes no sense to me they should of put that in front of the line before it .
For now on I will stick to ordering online at least I get BING cash back for that.
Old 11-12-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I had something similar happen to me the last time during the last criterion sale. I went to a BN and tried to use a$5 coupon on Kicking and Screaming. The cashier wouldn't accept it; so they got the manager I tried to get them to read the entire coupon and apply the discount. But they still wouldn't and they claimed their computer would only accept one discount(the 50%off one), he even tried to convince me I was getting a good deal. I just left and won't be going there again. Luckily there's another bn that accepts that coupon and I have used it more than once. So it definitely is YMMV on the coupon.
Old 11-12-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kory
Oh you bastard. I was at Rivertown last night and couldn't find "The Human Condition"! Ugh. lol.

I did pick up five others though:

- Homicide
- Science Is Fiction (not sure if I'm going to keep this one)
- The Last Days of Disco
- The Seventh Seal (Blu-ray)
- Monsoon Wedding (Blu-ray)

Each of those was $13.xx including tax.

Also ordered "The Third Man" (Blu-ray) from BN.com for $15.xx. Hoping it comes in the plastic case, so it matches the other two I picked up, also in plastic cases.

Still interested in trying to find the Cassavetes set, as well as The Human Condition maybe.
i put it on hold sunday night

did the guy give you any guff about using 5 coupons?
Old 11-12-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brent L
Not only is The Third man no longer in stock once again, they seem to have removed the listing from the search. I still have this just because it was in my cart so I still have the link to it:

You can't do the in store search for it anymore, and not only that but when you go to the DVD version they don't have the link to the BD version listed there either.
I put it in my cart before lunch but didn't complete the order yet (already have the DVD, was debating about the BD and some other items in my order). Now it tells me I need to remove it.
Old 11-12-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dining Dead
Online orders are shipped incredibly fast! I ordered my Cassavettes set (for a cool $44.99) at around 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday and got it at 12:30 p.m. today. That's crazy considering post offices were closed yesterday for Veteran's Day.
Yes, they do come fast. Although the free delivery is supposed to be three business days max, I don't think it ever took the maximum during the last sale. For that one, I had boxes streaming in for a week or so via UPS. My wife thought I was crazy (as she always does when DVD sales roll around lol).
Old 11-12-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I just got...
Bottle Rocket
Last Emperor
Third Man

Going out to another store later tonight
Old 11-12-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

At Enfield, CT store, Just picked up:

- M
- La Regle du jeu (Rules of the Game)
- Third Man

[=SPECIAL ED] Yaaaaay! got Third Man in hard case....Yaaaaay![\SPECIAL ED]

Took $5 coupons off all three!
Old 11-12-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by punit
I got Monsoon Wedding, Kagemusha, Pierrot le fou and Wings of Desire for $15.93 each with 3 day expedited shipping absolutely free. Being a non-member, i couldn't have asked for more.

Tips:
1. Use military URL - http://www.bn.com/military. When prompted later choose "Personal use". This will take 10% off and give you free 3 day expedited shipping
2. Create a brand new account. This is a pain but the coupon in next step requires it.
3. Enter coupon - F4B9F7R . Gives you 20%. Order 1 title per order for maximum benefit.

Enjoy

A BIG thank You for posting this info! I didn't have the time yet to figure out which coupons would work out best for non-members, and I really don't want to get a membership right now. I ordered Kagemusha late last night and it has shipped already. I'll probably pick up 5 or 6 more now!
Old 11-12-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L

If you change your search criteria to "All Products" in the search pulldown menu (instead of Movies and TV) and type in "Thrid Man Criterion", the Blu Ray listing will still show up. You can't order it, of course, but it is handy if you want to check for availability of store inventory.

I've noticed before that B&N will remove an OOP DVD/Blu Ray title from the "Movie and TV" search, but it still shows up if you search for it in "All Products".
Old 11-12-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any quick tips on creating a brand new account?
Old 11-12-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Any quick tips on creating a brand new account?
Quick tips? The whole procedure is quick. You just need an alternate e-mail address.

Old 11-12-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drake
I just got back from a B&N and the damn lady wouldn't let me use the $5 off on each DVD.
Which Boston store did you go to?
Old 11-12-09, 04:57 PM

Glad I stopped in to my local B&N yesterday. I wasn't aware they were having the Criterion blow out again. Picked up The Human Condition, Kagemusha (Blu), and The Third Man (Blu). Sweet!
Old 11-12-09, 05:23 PM

Awesome! Thanks OP and others.

Picked up The Third Man, Seven Samurai, Ikiru and Brazil (3 disc).
Old 11-12-09, 06:00 PM
Banned

I searched through the thread and haven't seen the $5 off coupon to use at B&N in-store (not online). Can someone point me to where that coupon is?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.