Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DD offering Warner Archive titles

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-09, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
DD offering Warner Archive titles

Not really a "bargain", yet, but worthy of mention.

DD is now offering the Warner Archive Collection titles.

The prices are about the same for most titles when compared to directly ordering from WB after taking shipping into account (depending on number of titles ordered), but I'm assuming these will be included in the next % off sale which makes them more attractive.

The real question is: If Warners is now going to offer these at other online merchants why don't they do "real" pressings instead of using DVRs, especially considering the price.
Old 10-04-09, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: DD offering Warner Archive titles

Originally Posted by BobO'Link

The real question is: If Warners is now going to offer these at other online merchants why don't they do "real" pressings instead of using DVRs, especially considering the price.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 10-04-09, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$23.98... wow. Plus they don't even have the two titles I want.
Old 10-04-09, 06:25 PM

hmm.... I will probably stick to using WBStore and wait for further 5 for $50 or 10 for $100 sales. I've bought about 20 titles that way and think it's just about the right price point. That said, this might be extremely beneficial to our foreign friends if they don't put restrictions on shipping regions.
Old 10-04-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A few weeks ago I spotted several of these on the shelf at Kim's (East Village NYC). Some were tagged $19.95, others were $24.95.
Old 10-04-09, 08:56 PM

I hate these covers
Old 10-04-09, 09:16 PM

I will never pay for a burned movie. Burned discs go bad after a few years.

If these were pressed, I'd pick up a few based on the titles I saw.
Old 10-04-09, 09:48 PM
Cool New Member

How can you tell that these, or any other DVDs for that matter, are burned rather than pressed without having the benefit of being able to inspect the disc?
Old 10-04-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

There's plenty of evidence (as in, reports) all over this forum--as well as at the WBShop site, and virtual any review of any disc from this series--that these titles are all burned all on DVD-Rs. It's should be common knowledge at this point.
Old 10-05-09, 12:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not a fan of purchasing burned disks, but it is really hard to predict how long they will last. Some reports give them a decent lifespan that would more then satisfy most.

A lot depends on the quality of the blanks and care put into burning, use, and storage. I only use Sony myself these days and have had the best luck sticking with 2x burn speeds. So far I have had none that I burned up to 5 years ago go bad that get limited playing time.

However, I have seen a few that I burned for my children where the picture has started to break up or freeze after just a couple of years. Now these get a lot of playing time, which may account for a premature life span.

So if WB uses a quality burning process and blanks, these stay in the limited viewing category (once every couple of years), and are properly cared for, they just may last quite a long time.
Old 10-05-09, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Brian T
There's plenty of evidence (as in, reports) all over this forum--as well as at the WBShop site, and virtual any review of any disc from this series--that these titles are all burned all on DVD-Rs. It's should be common knowledge at this point.
I think he might be referring to the Warner titles that will be sold through DD. I know it's a very long shot but we can all hope. I know one or two Archive titles that I would gladly buy again for full retail if it I could get a burned copy. Discovering Cary Grant's "Room For One More" has made the whole collection worth it to me.
Old 10-05-09, 12:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you kidding me? $23.88 for a BURNED copy? I can burn them myself from TCM or other cable channels for about 20 cents. Most of these titles appear on cable periodically...most of them widescreen & uncut. For instance, Bhowani Junction was on TCM sometime over the past couple of days.

If they offered them for $2.99-$4.99 in a bare-bones release (which they appear to be; even the covers are next to generic), I might see somehow purchasing them if someone needed them right away & couldn't wait (or didn't have access to them on cable or direct tv). Otherwise, be patient & record about 100 movies for the price you'd pay for one of these. You can probably print out much better covers, too.
Old 10-05-09, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bah. The Our Gang collection is not there.
Old 10-05-09, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JP5683
bah. The Our Gang collection is not there.
Yeah, that's the reason I'm reading the thread.
Old 10-05-09, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
If they offered them for $2.99-$4.99 in a bare-bones release (which they appear to be; even the covers are next to generic), I might see somehow purchasing them if someone needed them right away & couldn't wait (or didn't have access to them on cable or direct tv). Otherwise, be patient & record about 100 movies for the price you'd pay for one of these. You can probably print out much better covers, too.
Five dollars sounds reasonable, especially when you stack any one of these up against many of Warner's regular, pressed DVDs. The reviews for many of these have not been kind, with most resigned to the "we'll take what we can get at this point" defense because it's unlikely these will ever see the light of day in any other physical media format. Most will probably end up as downloads some day (and probably in the $2.99 - $4.99 range), and from the sounds of it, the quality, compared to most downloads of nearly anything at present time, might rival what's ending up on many of these discs: just acceptable.
Old 10-05-09, 06:09 PM
Defunct Account

They are downloads right now... at $14.95 a pop.
Old 10-06-09, 04:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by docdoowop
Yeah, that's the reason I'm reading the thread.
Me too.
Old 10-06-09, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, this is the start of a bad trend.
Old 10-06-09, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Pizza
"Between grief and nothing, I'll take grief."

"great."
Old 10-06-09, 07:53 AM

I just got the Our Gang set in the mail yesterday and have watched the first disc already. The quality is excellent and worth it even if it is burned.
Old 10-06-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scottp120
I just got the Our Gang set in the mail yesterday and have watched the first disc already. The quality is excellent and worth it even if it is burned.
That's good to hear. It's the only reason I'm reading this thread as well... I may spring for it in the next month or two...
Old 10-06-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pizza
Definitely. WB has, for all intents and purposes, discontinued releasing classic catalog titles on DVD.
Old 10-06-09, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Definitely. WB has, for all intents and purposes, discontinued releasing classic catalog titles on DVD.
Is that really true? It seems they've released a fair number of classics this year--not as many as they've put into Archives, but a number of them. Karloff/Lugosi, Esther Williams, and Wagon Train come to mind recently. And I'm not counting Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind.
Old 10-06-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Is that really true? It seems they've released a fair number of classics this year--not as many as they've put into Archives, but a number of them. Karloff/Lugosi, Esther Williams, and Wagon Train come to mind recently. And I'm not counting Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind.
The tentpole titles are still being released, and a few box sets here and there (with a 5th Noir set coming next year), but by and large individual films from the Golden Era seem to have been relegated almost exclusively to the ghetto of over-priced, interlaced DVD-Rs.
Old 10-07-09, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
The tentpole titles are still being released, and a few box sets here and there (with a 5th Noir set coming next year), but by and large individual films from the Golden Era seem to have been relegated almost exclusively to the ghetto of over-priced, interlaced DVD-Rs.
To be fair, it was only the initial batch of 160 or so titles that were interlaced. All (or almost all) of the releases after that have been progressive.

That being said, they are still way over-priced.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.