Reload this Page >

Blockbuster Store Closing Sale 2009

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 09-18-09, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured time to start this one (put in Blu-ray also). Try to keep it to bargains found, percent off postings and info on which stores are closing etc. There is ranting for all in Store Forum section .
Old 09-18-09, 07:55 AM

Re: Blockbuster Store Closing Sale 2009

Still waiting to see a "cut" list to see if my BB is on it. So far no physical signs on the building that they're having closing sales, etc.
Old 09-18-09, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phibes
Still waiting to see a "cut" list to see if my BB is on it. So far no physical signs on the building that they're having closing sales, etc.
Same here.
Old 09-18-09, 10:02 AM
Banned

The deals aren't anything to write home about. Last time I was there, it was $7.99 for every DVD new and old p/v. 10% off brand new movies. $4 for DVDs in jewel cd cases w/ no artwork. 20% off used games [no prices listed]. Wire racks $30 a section. $50 for a cabinet. $75 each for CRT TVs. $25 for movie memorabilia - pictures of Whoopi Goldberg (off the wall). $30 for a hand-truck, which you could get at home depot for 20 lol

That being said, this store is located on route 30 in Amsterdam, NY. I won't be back in that area until next month so I won't be able to check on further discounts/inventory left.
Old 09-18-09, 11:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by supermike07
$4 for DVDs in jewel cd cases w/ no artwork.
They had the same thing at a local Movie Gallery that closed down by me two years ago. I got some great OOP and older harder to find titles this way. Sucks they had no artwork but its nothing an empty case and a printer cant fix.
I hope they do have a list of what stores will be closing. I hate when I find out a week too late that i missed the going out of business sale. This happened to me a lot when Hollywood Video stores were shutting down.
Old 09-18-09, 02:51 PM

Anyone get a list yet of stores that are closing? If you call a store and ask if there are anyone in the area that are closing they told me that they are not to give out any of the information even if there is a store that has started to closed and which one it is. We need a list guys.
Old 09-18-09, 03:02 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I dont think BB has even decided yet what stores are closing.
Old 09-18-09, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DonTHX1378
told me that they are not to give out any of the information even if there is a store that has started to closed and which one it is.
Of course not... Gezz that would be pretty stupid of them to give out information that would only lead to you and others buying their stock that they are trying to get rid of. Duhhh! Don't you know companies hate people buying items that they have for sale off of them? And they wonder why they are going out of business? I'm sure it has nothing to do with the higher ups not having the slightest clue on how to make a sale.

Last edited by dkedvd; 09-18-09 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-18-09, 07:49 PM

When my Blockbuster closed, they had 1.99 tv series. Pretty sweet.

But if you try to buy something that just came out a few weeks ago, they won't let you buy it. That's what happened to me with Horton Hears a Who.
Old 09-18-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit
Originally Posted by Phibes
Same here.
Same here.

10/30/09 UPDATE: There are two Blockbusters in the town I live in (Paducah, KY): one on the "South Side" and one in front of the mall. The South Side location is closing; the mall location is staying open.

Last edited by MTRodaba2468; 10-30-09 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-18-09, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One of the local stores still looked the same. They had the 4 for $20 movies as 5 for $20. Of course, I couldn't find 5 titles worth buying. Ugh.
Old 09-19-09, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I dont think BB has even decided yet what stores are closing.
Then what's with all of the ones going out of business?
Old 09-19-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It does take some time to get rolling...they may hire a liqudation company to handle the sale or do in house...they also may stagger the sales depening on the leases or a host of other things..with the Holidays approaching seems like good time to get rid of some stores...
Old 09-19-09, 07:49 PM

Hopefully mine goes out.
I want to pick up some movies, mine usually has $3.99 sales on movies $9.99 and less. It is always empty in there. I think they were hurting so bad they raised meet the spartans from $3.99 to $9.99 and I bought a $9.99 movie there b4 and ripped off the 9.99 sticker and there was a $3.99 sticker under it.
Old 09-19-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
One of the local stores still looked the same. They had the 4 for $20 movies as 5 for $20. Of course, I couldn't find 5 titles worth buying. Ugh.
Apparently, some additional titles were put into the 5 for $20 section sometime between yesterday and today since I got the following today:

Away from Her
I've Loved You So Long
The Secret Life of Bees
Towelhead
Waltz with Bashir
Old 09-19-09, 11:45 PM

yeah i've been keeping an eye on mine but it seems to still be up last time i was there. but i did get arsenic and old lace and sympathy for mr vengeance for 4 bucks each so its not a total loss >_>
Old 09-19-09, 11:48 PM
Cool New Member

They know which stores but they arnt legally allowed to tell you until the day the store starts liquidating, its the same with all the video store chains. they also do this so you dont run in and rent 10 movies the day before they stop renting and never come back. The store managers will lie right up to the day before because they have to.

but cant wait to see what blu=ray product they liquidate.
Old 09-21-09, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Billings,Montana

Hit it

found about one closing store.i wonder if the $5 will be the norm.
What about blu-rays..:-))

Billings<Montana....

Last Blockbuster closing in Billings

Last Billings Blockbuster closing

The last Blockbuster in Billings is officially shutting its doors.

Regional Manager Nicole Dinsman says the company has decided not to renew its lease at the Grand store and pull out of the market. The store was up for a five-year lease and decided the business was not viable in this economy. Store officials say there is steep competition in the entertainment industry with online and dollar rentals.

The store's seven employees will work their final shift this Thursday. Starting Tuesday, the store will have a $5 sale, which includes all DVD's and video games.

Blockbuster has been at the Grand location for 14 years. The last remaining store in the state, is in Kalispell.

http://www.ktvq.com/Global/story.asp?S=11127136
Old 09-21-09, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by dkedvd
Of course not... Gezz that would be pretty stupid of them to give out information that would only lead to you and others buying their stock that they are trying to get rid of. Duhhh! Don't you know companies hate people buying items that they have for sale off of them? And they wonder why they are going out of business? I'm sure it has nothing to do with the higher ups not having the slightest clue on how to make a sale.
yeah, when a store closes, they wont do the heavy discounts to the public, but wait til lthey actually close the doors then sell the whole lot to a salvage company for like 2 cents on the dollar, why not offer to the public for like 10 cents on the dollar and let the public clean them out. the public is the ones that kept them in business for as long as they had, but they wont let them actually benefit from the closing.
Old 09-21-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wow that is a ridicuously short sale period to move the inventory..they proballly will ship out the remainder to another store I imagine...
Old 09-21-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The store around the corner from me just closed a few weeks ago and Blu's were $5 for used ones and $10 for new ones on clearence. Didnt have much left. Ended up with Hancock, Arlington Road, Wanted, Seven Pounds, and Knights tale for $25 out the door. The used ones were in great shape on the disc side, the cases werent so pretty and I need to swap them out for non damaged ones. Still a great deal on non scratched discs.
Old 09-21-09, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
The store around the corner from me just closed a few weeks ago and Blu's were $5 for used ones and $10 for new ones on clearence. Didnt have much left. Ended up with Hancock, Arlington Road, Wanted, Seven Pounds, and Knights tale for $25 out the door. The used ones were in great shape on the disc side, the cases werent so pretty and I need to swap them out for non damaged ones. Still a great deal on non scratched discs.
Wowza! I hope some stores around me close. LOL!
Old 09-21-09, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe here's a reason they're losing money. Last week I returned Watchmen BD there. I had my receipts, which clearly showed a $5 deposit, and $14.99 on the 2nd one. They refunded my c/c 29.99. He kept staring at the receipts, then staring at the 29.99 price sticker on the BD, then back at the receipts again, and apparently decided to give me 29.99. He never asked me what I paid, or I would have told him only 19.99. I wasn't trying to cheat them, and I didn't know he gave me too much money back until it was already done. They should at least hire employees that know how to read a receipt...
Old 09-21-09, 11:35 AM

I don't think any are closing in my area. Would be nice though, especially after reading through this thread. :s
Old 09-21-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The one thing I didnt notice till I got home was they write on the discs with sharpies. All the used BD's i got have 001 or 002 written on the disc art.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.