Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

TV series sets at Walmart

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 09-16-09, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been eyeing some two packs of tv series DVDs at Walmart. These appear to be regular sets that are shrink wrapped together and sold for $19.95. Today I noticed a package I hadn"t seen before. Bones season 1 and Saving Grace season 1. Am I missing something or are these just good deals? Also considering Roswell Season 1 and 2
Old 09-16-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: TV series sets at Walmart

The King of the Hill sets were the individual seasons just wrapped together.
Old 09-16-09, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish more of them were in Fox's new clear-plastic, single-thickness multi-disc cases. I would buy more of them.

Also, I wish they did more than just the kickoff set (i.e. "X-Files" 1 and 2) and did the entire series like this, and it bugs me that some of them are a poor combination (I suppose from a fan standpoint "Buffy" S1 and "Angel" S1 makes sense, but as someone who hasn't seen the show yet and will probably have little interest in "Angel" even then, I would be much more tempted by "Buffy" S1 and S2).
Old 09-16-09, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

^

At times 'Angel' was even better than 'Buffy', IMHO (especially in the later seasons). But it is a poor pairing for the unacquainted viewer, as there are more than a couple 'Buffy' crossovers that would make little sense if you weren't watching 'Angel' season one and 'Buffy' season four concurrently.

I picked up the 'American Dad' pack back in May.

Last edited by joe_b; 09-16-09 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-16-09, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 View Post
I wish more of them were in Fox's new clear-plastic, single-thickness multi-disc cases. I would buy more of them.

Also, I wish they did more than just the kickoff set (i.e. "X-Files" 1 and 2) and did the entire series like this, and it bugs me that some of them are a poor combination (I suppose from a fan standpoint "Buffy" S1 and "Angel" S1 makes sense, but as someone who hasn't seen the show yet and will probably have little interest in "Angel" even then, I would be much more tempted by "Buffy" S1 and S2).
I've seen Buffy S1 and Buffy S2 packaged together at Target. YMMV
Old 09-17-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by otmetrud View Post
I've seen Buffy S1 and Buffy S2 packaged together at Target. YMMV
Our Target has Angel S1/S2 and Angel S3/S4 packaged together also.

Not sure what you do about S5 though, lol.
Old 09-17-09, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I suppose from a fan standpoint "Buffy" S1 and "Angel" S1 makes sense, but as someone who hasn't seen the show yet and will probably have little interest in "Angel" even then, I would be much more tempted by "Buffy" S1 and S2
Actually, it doesn't really make a lot of sense, as Angel S1 takes place at the same time as Buffy S4....you would really need to have seen seasons 2 and 3 of Buffy before watching S1 of Angel to know everything that has happened and what was currently going on....you don't HAVE to keep watching Buffy once Angel starts, but I'd say you do HAVE to have seen the first three Buffy seasons....WAY too much stuff happens in the interim that is required knowledge to really enjoy the Angel series....that two pack makes about as much sense as a two pack of Star Wars Episodes 1 & 4...sure, they both are the first films of their respective trilogies, but without those two films in between, you wouldn't really know why things are so different....
Old 09-17-09, 01:04 PM
Cool New Member

The entire X-Files set is now in these normal cases. Our local BB had a sale on them a few weeks ago.
Old 09-17-09, 01:05 PM

I've seen American Dad S1 and 2 packaged like that for $19.99 at Wally world. Worth it?
Old 09-17-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wish they did more than just the kickoff set (i.e. "X-Files" 1 and 2) and did the entire series like this, and it bugs me that some of them are a poor combination (I suppose from a fan standpoint "Buffy" S1 and "Angel" S1 makes sense, but as someone who hasn't seen the show yet and will probably have little interest in "Angel" even then, I would be much more tempted by "Buffy" S1 and S2).
I'm assuming fox isn't doing this because these 2-packs are probably a way to get the audience invested in the series so they'd purchase the following seasons at the regular prices.

Originally Posted by WMAangel View Post
Actually, it doesn't really make a lot of sense, as Angel S1 takes place at the same time as Buffy S4....you would really need to have seen seasons 2 and 3 of Buffy before watching S1 of Angel to know everything that has happened and what was currently going on....you don't HAVE to keep watching Buffy once Angel starts, but I'd say you do HAVE to have seen the first three Buffy seasons....WAY too much stuff happens in the interim that is required knowledge to really enjoy the Angel series....that two pack makes about as much sense as a two pack of Star Wars Episodes 1 & 4...sure, they both are the first films of their respective trilogies, but without those two films in between, you wouldn't really know why things are so different....
Actually I don't think the Buffy backstory really is that important. If you know that Angel and Buffy were lovers the show really does fill in the important parts along the way. I'd suggest watching Buffy first, but it's not really "necessary".
Old 09-17-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by critterdvd View Post
Actually I don't think the Buffy backstory really is that important. If you know that Angel and Buffy were lovers the show really does fill in the important parts along the way. I'd suggest watching Buffy first, but it's not really "necessary".
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one, as I think it is much more important then you are giving it credit for....Angel just seems like such a natural extension/spin-off after the three seasons of Buffy....I couldn't imagine watching it from the beginning with no frame of reference from what has come beforehand, especially when S1 has so many callbacks and references to prior events and characters....to me, it just doesn't seem like a standalone series that can be fully understood and appreciated without that groundwork...the show eventually forged its own path and became its own entity with its own voice, but S1 hedged much closer to the mothership than later seasons...
Old 09-17-09, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by unskilledgymrat View Post
I've seen American Dad S1 and 2 packaged like that for $19.99 at Wally world. Worth it?
I definitely think so and I have to say that it's a much, much better show than Family Guy, despite their common origin. It's also pretty good at making fun of both sides of the political scene.

Did you happen to notice if the seasons were in the older packing or in the new single-thickness multi-disc cases?
Old 09-19-09, 06:35 PM

I just got the American Dad combo pack today and the packaging is a thick box with 3 slim cases inside for each of the two seasons.

I looked at the Saving Grace season 1/Bones season 1 set and thought, "If that were the first two Bones seasons, I'd be all over it." I don't give a rat's ass about Saving Grace.

Last edited by twa2; 09-19-09 at 06:36 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 09-19-09, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by twa2 View Post
I looked at the Saving Grace season 1/Bones season 1 set and thought, "If that were the first two Bones seasons, I'd be all over it." I don't give a rat's ass about Saving Grace.
Join the crowd!
Old 09-24-09, 12:41 AM
Banned

does anyone know if they have seen Arrested Development S1 & S2 packaged together like this in their new re-packaged clear dvd case?