Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Dollar General DVD's

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-13, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dollar General DVD's

Dollar General has a big selection of $1 movies for sale now. Mostly Echo Bridge stuff. I hit up three different Dollar Generals today, two of them had these dvds.

This is what I got:
Disturbed (a movie about Charles Manson escaping Death Row and going on a killing spree.)
The Crow: Wicked Prayer (The Tara Reid / Edward Furlong one)
Absoultion (starring Mario Lopez and Richard Grieco!)
Hellraiser: Hellseeker
Supernova (starring Luke Perry, Tia Carrere and Peter Fonda)
Tangled (Rachael Leigh Cook)
Blindness (Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo)
Renaissance: Paris 2054 (Daniel Craig)
Keepsake
Get Bruce (Bruce Vilanch documentary)
Tadpole (Sigourney Weaver plays a cougar)
Big Man (Liam Neeson)
Stranger Beside Me (Tiffani-Amber Thiessen)
Bakers Hawk
Transfmorphers: Fall of Man
Countdown: Armageddon
Last Night (Keira Knightly, Eva Mendes)

and for $5.95 I picked up the first season of Poltergeist: The Legacy
Old 11-16-13, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The $1 DVDs showed up at the Pennsauken, NJ store, but the titles were...not good.

Men of War
Talk of Angels
Get Bruce!
Loaded
Andy Griffith Collection
Dracula 2000
2012: Doomsday
First Spaceship on Venus
Bailey's Billions
Mortuary
The Pandora Project
The Big White/School For Seduction

A separate dump bin had Poltergeist S1 for $5.95 and The Billy Jack Collection for $9.95.
Old 11-16-13, 05:06 PM

does the Billy Jack collection include the first movie, Born Losers?

I went back to DG and found a couple of new ones:
Dark Planet
Ancient Evil
Old 11-16-13, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by clintfunhome
does the Billy Jack collection include the first movie, Born Losers?
Yep.
Old 11-16-13, 07:21 PM

Grabbing a Snickers today and happened to notice "Myra Blankenship" for $3.97. Great but and for those who've seen it, yummy!
Old 11-16-13, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No $1 DVDs at the 3 I've gone to in the last 2 days, but did pick up Poltergeist Legacy S1 and Trancers V1 for 5.95. Someone picked up a copy of Lincoln blu w/ blue border marked at 5.95 (It's supposed to be 9.95). None of those dollar movies are really worth repeated trips to DG, but if I pass buy one ...
Old 11-16-13, 08:16 PM

i work next to one and often go in for snacks, so im there every day nearly.
Old 08-27-14, 04:22 PM

Was at my local dollar general today and noticed the new treasure hunt dvds in cardboard slips. The new prices are 1.25 and 1.95. It seems that the old 2.95 titles were repackaged into grey slips and priced 1.95 and the old 1.95 titles were repriced to 1.25 nothing to get excited about though as I seen no new titles just reduced prices.

I did notice some seasons of dexter and house in the 6.95 tv sets though but as with any DG Y.M.M.V
Old 01-30-15, 08:20 PM

I was in Dollar General today, and they had in a box or two of DVDs. One box was Blu-ray for $5. I don't have a player, but they also had in some regular DVDs. Some contained four movies (two per disc). I ended up buying the Hammer TCM set for $6.95. It has Horror of Dracula, Dracula Has Risen From the Grave, Curse of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed. They had the four movies of Critters, and several older movies. I also some some Elvis Presley movies. Sorry can't remember all the titles.
Old 02-07-15, 05:19 PM

The multipack DVDs arrived locally, along with the new set of MGM Blu-rays.

$6.95
The Bridges of Madison County/Defending Your Life/The Hours/Heartburn
Horror of Dracula/Dracula Has Risen From the Grave/Taste the Blood of Dracula/Dracula A.D. 1972
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof/Butterfield 8/Father of the Bride/The Sandpiper
The Stalking Moon/Ride the High Country/Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid/Chisum
Critters/Critters 2/Critters 3/Critters 4
Bad News Bears Collection
Black Belt Jones/Black Samson/Hot Potato/Three the Hard Way
Deadly Friend/Eyes of a Stranger/The Hand/Someone's Watching Me
4 Film Favorites: Elvis Musicals (not sure which one)

$8.95
Wolfen/Body Snatchers (1993)/Coma/Bad Moon
Old 04-28-15, 03:17 PM

I don't frequent Dollar General too much because it isn't in my driving pattern, but I noticed yesterday in two different locations they had TV DVD Series sets packaged in Treasures(Not the regular studio packaging) sets for $6.99 which with the 20% off($5.00 off purchase of $25.00 on prior weeks receipt -good for Saturday only) bringing the cost per set down to $5.59 would still be a good buy although it would be difficult to resell with that type of packaging. They say previously viewed, but I believe the studio uses that pre-text to sell at a discount to discount stores like Dollar General. The following is just a small sample of what I remember:

Desparate Houswives S6;S7
Burn Notice S3,S5
30 Rock S3
U.S. of Tara S3
Greys Anatomy S4;S5
Brothers & Sisters S2;S3;S4
The Tudors S4
Glee S3
Damage-Assorted Seasons
Lost-Assorted Seasons
Old 07-02-15, 06:51 PM

2 of my local DG stores now have $1 Treasure Hunt DVDs. These are packaged In a Black Cardboard Slip with Treasure Hunt written in yellow letters and are in their own display box. One store had a few horror movies including Tucker & Dale, otherwise the dvds were mostly older treasure hunt titles that probably did not sale good, also a lot of oddball disc from tv seasons were in there, it is very doubtful you would find a complete season of anything in there. Might be good if you needed a specific disc for a certain tv season and was lucky enough to find it

Last edited by CrazyMat; 07-02-15 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-05-15, 06:17 PM

I looked through the bin of those Treasure Hunt disks at a Dollar General in my travels this holiday weekend and came across a few things aside from what was mentioned that looked interesting, or at least things I haven't seen. Picked up Grey Gardens and Hunger (both Criterion DVDs) along with Paper Man.
Old 08-05-15, 04:30 PM

My chain 'Giant Food Stores' had single movies for $2.99 from Treasure Hunt. Didn't see any TV series sets.
Old 08-07-15, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMat
2 of my local DG stores now have $1 Treasure Hunt DVDs. These are packaged In a Black Cardboard Slip with Treasure Hunt written in yellow letters and are in their own display box. One store had a few horror movies including Tucker & Dale, otherwise the dvds were mostly older treasure hunt titles that probably did not sale good, also a lot of oddball disc from tv seasons were in there, it is very doubtful you would find a complete season of anything in there. Might be good if you needed a specific disc for a certain tv season and was lucky enough to find it
Thanks for mentioning this! I've hit my town's five Dollar Generals over the past few days, and here's what I picked up for $1 each:

Four Lions
Paris, Texas (Criterion Collection)
The Perfect Student
Ping Pong Playa
Red Riding 1974
Red Riding 1983
Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired
Splinter

Nothing earth-shattering (as one can plainly tell), but it's always fun to score cheap Criterions, and Four Lions and the Red Riding films have all gotten excellent reviews. I just wish that I had been able to find the other Red Riding film, Red Riding 1980.

For those who have bought some of these $1 DG titles...were your discs stuck to the envelopes? I don't know if all of the ones in my town were on the same truck and the truck got hot, but every one of the eight that I've bought have been glued to the sleeves they're in. I don't think that it was purposeful (it appears that the glue holding the envelopes together got hot and the discs slipped down into it), and the glue only shows up right around the edges of the discs, but I've had to give them all a good cleaning to get rid of the excess paper and gunk on them. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 08-10-15, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Thanks for mentioning this! I've hit my town's five Dollar Generals over the past few days, and here's what I picked up for $1 each:

Four Lions
Paris, Texas (Criterion Collection)
The Perfect Student
Ping Pong Playa
Red Riding 1974
Red Riding 1983
Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired
Splinter

Nothing earth-shattering (as one can plainly tell), but it's always fun to score cheap Criterions, and Four Lions and the Red Riding films have all gotten excellent reviews. I just wish that I had been able to find the other Red Riding film, Red Riding 1980.

For those who have bought some of these $1 DG titles...were your discs stuck to the envelopes? I don't know if all of the ones in my town were on the same truck and the truck got hot, but every one of the eight that I've bought have been glued to the sleeves they're in. I don't think that it was purposeful (it appears that the glue holding the envelopes together got hot and the discs slipped down into it), and the glue only shows up right around the edges of the discs, but I've had to give them all a good cleaning to get rid of the excess paper and gunk on them. Has this happened to anyone else?
I've bought the TV series sets by season and have had no problem with sleeves sticking. I went into a Dollar General store yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to find the TV series sets had new lower pricing on them. Instead of the $6.99 per set, they had new price stickers of $4.99 per set. If one uses the $5.00 off a $30 purchase coupon, that brings the cost down to $4.16 per set. Not bad for TV series sets.
Old 10-18-15, 03:29 PM

I went to Dollar General a few days ago and noticed they had copies of 'Pixels' for sale. I didn't realize until later that it isn't suppose to come out until the 27th.

Old 10-21-15, 12:59 PM

Potential caveat emptor but I got some Criterions for $1, Grey Gardens and Christmas Tale, and all of them had bit of glue that bits of the paper envelope stuck to.

Haven't watched them yet to see if they affect playback.
Old 11-04-15, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by rbrown498
For those who have bought some of these $1 DG titles...were your discs stuck to the envelopes?
I have had that problem too but after cleaning playback was not affected. I did have problems out of one disc because of how scratched up it was.

Was at my local Dollar General earlier. They had some new 1 dollar disc in its own display. This time what I found were mostly single disc from echo bridge sets. Some of them were horror, some were Christmas movies, and some of them were regular movies. The yellow cardboard slip seems to be made different so maybe these new ones will alleviate the problem of the disc sticking to the cardboard

Edit: Was at another store today and these were not the treasure hunt DVDs they were entirely echo bridge and had that on the back

Last edited by CrazyMat; 11-07-15 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-17-15, 09:21 PM

YMMV, but all of my local Dollar Generals that have them have marked down their MGM Blu-rays to $2.95 each. So far I've picked up Straw Dogs (the original version) and Sid & Nancy.
Old 11-19-15, 10:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Was at my Dollar General earlier this week and found a yellow envelope Echo Bridge release for a dollar. Flowers for Algernon, a 2000 TV Movie with Matthew Modine. Didn't know there was another version after Charly (1968, with Cliff Robertson (Oscar!)).
Old 12-19-15, 10:21 PM
Cool New Member

The local (Chattanooga) put out a cardboard display of $4 multisets... They included the following:

* Men in Black 3 movie set
* Spiderman 3 movie set
* Wild Things 3 movie set
* Resident Evil 4 movie set
* Godzilla 3 movie set (Godzilla & Mothra; Godzilla & King Ghidorah; Godzilla Giant Monsters all-out Attack)- comes with Ultraviolet code)
* Laugh out Loud 3 Movie Set (Talladega Nights; Step Brothers; The Other Guys) with Ultraviolet code
* Laugh out Loud 6 Movie Set (Bewitched; Beverly Hills Ninja; The Cable Guy; So I Married An Axe Murderer; Mixed Nuts; The Pest)
* Laugh out Loud 3 movie set (Jack & Jill; Just Go With It; That's My Boy)
Old 01-24-16, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

My local stores have some new (at least to me, but the displays were fairly full) stuff out.

Both stores I visited had 2 small displays--one had them side by side, another in 2 different locations--both displays had almost the same exact titles on them, a mix of BDs/DVDs. Among the DVDs were multi-movie sets similar to the post above.

Also there were television shows on DVD for $6.95.

Leave it to Beaver: Season 1
Night Court: Season 2
A season of Fame
A season of A-Team
Land of the Lost: Seasons 1 &/or 2
Lots of Discovery Channel shows

Sorry I'm not more exact with some of this information, since I'm just going off memory. If the price point is of some interest, it might be worth a look.

I did pick up some BDs for $4.95 using the weekly DG Saturday coupon.
Old 01-24-16, 02:59 PM

I was at a Dollar General yesterday and they had two different sets of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. They had some dollar movies, I picked up Exit Thru the Gift Shop and Persepolis.
Old 01-24-16, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by wdavetex
I was at a Dollar General yesterday and they had two different sets of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. They had some dollar movies, I picked up Exit Thru the Gift Shop and Persepolis.
Were the dollar movies in regular cases or in cardboard sleeves?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.