Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 7 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 7 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 7 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

With all the great bargains, I'm running short on room. Anybody have creative ways to store discs so they take up less space? Obviously stacking the discs on a spindle would take the least amount of room, but it would be hard to find a disc. I have some os those small binder with sleeve pages for holding cds but what would I do with the snapper cases?
Old 02-05-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You are so right -TRANCE- this week it's been just 3 that's all.

The other day I pick-up Lassie Come Home and Johnny Belinda.
Old 02-05-10, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke Monster
Picked up yesterday:

-Lolita
The Kubrick version or the Jeremy Irons remake?
Old 02-05-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ I've seen the Kubrick version, I figured it had already been mentioned.

I saw it at the Goffstown, NH Big Lots.
Old 02-05-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by -TRANCE-
Big Lots DVDs are an addiction simple as that...
Yes... they are. Most of the clerks know me by name and will tell me when I walk in the door whether or not new DVDs have been put out. They also know I'll look in either case "just in case". It's rare that I don't walk out with at least 1 title, slashed or not.

I prefer them to not be slashed/gouged but at $3/ea. I'm not complaining as these are for *me* and no one else. As long as the disk is OK I really don't care about the case too much... but... I'll look for the one that is slashed the least before I pick one up. At least the heated cutter that does this fuses the cut plastic to the insert and then to the case (if deep enough) so it doesn't wave in the breeze.
Old 02-05-10, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by mr Articulate
With all the great bargains, I'm running short on room. Anybody have creative ways to store discs so they take up less space? Obviously stacking the discs on a spindle would take the least amount of room, but it would be hard to find a disc. I have some os those small binder with sleeve pages for holding cds but what would I do with the snapper cases?
Yep, take the disc and inserts out of the case and throw the case away. Get some of those $1 stackable plastic dvd bins at the dollar store and you can store about fifty discs in the same space that it takes to store 6. I keep the inserts in a separate box but you can also use one of the plastic cd cases to store the inserts.
Old 02-05-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

This is all a plot for Big Lots to sell more of their $40 DVD shelves, which I have several of and will need more soon!
Old 02-05-10, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by brizz
it's not sad....it's pathetic

You buy a dvd for the film on the disc - when you are talking about a $3 bargain, complaining about an imperfect package is patently ridiculous. Just because your OCD causes you to wake up in a cold sweat because a dvd case has a scratch on it doesn't make the practice a horrific offense. They've been doing it for decades - ever notice black lines on the bottom of books? slashed UPCs on cheap CDs? hell, they used to use a solder gun to put a little hole in Cassette tape boxes over the UPC! They are all called "cut outs" - i.e. cutting them out of built up inventory to clear the books - and they mar them so retailers don't try to sell them for full price - you know, like the whole Loony Tunes bonanza last year? that was ILLEGAL.
I'm not complaing about the bargain prices, as my huge pile of Big Lot's movies will attest to, I was merely offering a possible explanation as to why some people might care. There was no need to be so "patently ridiculous" in your response.
Old 02-05-10, 05:16 PM

Was surprised to find "Zero effect" today at my local big lots

b
Old 02-05-10, 05:50 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
The Kubrick version or the Jeremy Irons remake?
It was the Kubrick version.
Old 02-05-10, 06:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
This is all a plot for Big Lots to sell more of their $40 DVD shelves, which I have several of and will need more soon!
Not sure what shelves you're referring to, but I wouldn't recommend the Sauder DVD rack kits they sell as the shelves start sagging after just a short time. I learned the hard way and ended up replacing the shelves with wood. I also ended up building racks on my walls that hold 1200 DVDs. Unfortunately they are already full.
Old 02-05-10, 07:52 PM

What is Big Lots return policy like for DVDs? What if the title that is defective was the only copy there what do they do for an exchange?
Old 02-05-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What is Big Lots return policy like for DVDs? What if the title that is defective was the only copy there what do they do for an exchange?
30 days return or exchange sealed with receipt... No clue on the defective scenario.

Picked up...

Assassination of Richard Nixon, The
Backbeat CE
Cat People (1982) SE
Lost Highway
Traffic: The Miniseries

UPC slash free

Skipped a few that I would have been inclined to grab if not for the massive need to watch stack. It's out of control and has a life of its own.
Old 02-05-10, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
30 days return or exchange sealed with receipt... No clue on the defective scenario.
They will exchange the dvd for another dvd title if you cannot find another copy of your original purchase.
Old 02-05-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never had a problem returning anything I wasn't satisfied with.

I've returned (among others):
1. A copy of The Dish which was broken, large missing piece not even in the case! Searched for a replacement copy, there was none, so I was issued a full refund.
2. A copy of Willard which had "dvd-rot" and would not play to completion. Same return as above.
3. Last week, a copy of The Year Of The Gun which says 1.66:1 on the package, but it's 1.33:1 crap. I just got a refund, I didn't even have the price sticker and/or shrinkwrap, only the receipt. She just circled one of the dvds on the receipt to issue the return against.

No worries, bring it back!
Old 02-05-10, 09:18 PM

Picked up The Frisco Kid (Harrison Ford) & Wrongfully Accused yesterday at our BL (southwest PA)
Old 02-05-10, 09:43 PM

Picked up this evening

- Shredder
- Police Academy 3
- Craddle 2 the Grave
- Stander
- Pink Cadillac
Old 02-05-10, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by basaro
I've never had a problem returning anything I wasn't satisfied with.

I've returned (among others):
1. A copy of The Dish which was broken, large missing piece not even in the case! Searched for a replacement copy, there was none, so I was issued a full refund.
2. A copy of Willard which had "dvd-rot" and would not play to completion. Same return as above.
3. Last week, a copy of The Year Of The Gun which says 1.66:1 on the package, but it's 1.33:1 crap. I just got a refund, I didn't even have the price sticker and/or shrinkwrap, only the receipt. She just circled one of the dvds on the receipt to issue the return against.

No worries, bring it back!
NICE! Thanks! I ask because the copy of "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues" that i bought today and honestly wish i hadn't, The disc has foggy spots all over really bad but the playback is fine but it was a mistake to even buy the movie. What did your copy of "Willard" look like? Was it like how i described?
Old 02-05-10, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
30 days return or exchange sealed with receipt... No clue on the defective scenario. ....

I returned a damaged one ..I grabbed a bunch of new titles.. in a kind of feeding frenzy.. and didn't realize one was a floater. Opened it up .. sure enough, pretty scarred up. They took it back ..no prob.
Old 02-05-10, 10:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Emma311
Picked up The Frisco Kid (Harrison Ford)
I bought that one a few months back... It was horrible!
Old 02-05-10, 11:39 PM

Wanted to ask if anyone that bought "James Dean, Forever Young" DVD, can you check to see if your closed captions work. The disc doesn't come with subtitles and it indicates on the back that CCs are present but mine don't come on. Thanks!!!!
Old 02-06-10, 12:25 AM

Picked up in the last few days

Backbeat (CE)
white noise (WIDESCREEN)
That old feeling
The pink flamingo
You've got mail
Peaceful Warrior
Out of sight
Judgement Night
Never been kissed
The Don is Dead
The man who wasnt there
Honkytonk man
dead calm
Love and Basketball (with cd)
Old 02-06-10, 03:01 AM

My copy of "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues" looks a mess too. It's actually the worst-looking disc I've ever seen, but it plays perfectly. It looks different than other discs I've seen with rot. Usually it's one milky-like stain, but this one has spots and streaks all over it. I was especially concerned how it would play near the layer change (which is at about 57 mins. on this one) but, like I said, playback was flawless. Admittedly it's not a great film, but I'm an Uma fan and a Gus Van Sant fan so I was happy to find it for 3 bucks--especially since it's now out of print.
Old 02-06-10, 09:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Last month, I bought a copy of Ziegfeld Follies at Big Lots and the case was empty! I went back the next week, but was unable to find another copy. The cashier credited my credit card.
Old 02-06-10, 10:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ElleSol
My copy of "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues" looks a mess too. It's actually the worst-looking disc I've ever seen, but it plays perfectly. It looks different than other discs I've seen with rot. Usually it's one milky-like stain, but this one has spots and streaks all over it. I was especially concerned how it would play near the layer change (which is at about 57 mins. on this one) but, like I said, playback was flawless. Admittedly it's not a great film, but I'm an Uma fan and a Gus Van Sant fan so I was happy to find it for 3 bucks--especially since it's now out of print.
Must be something in the way the disc was manufactured because mine is exactly the same as described, and I bought it brand new from a local retailer about 4 months ago, not at Big Lots. It plays perfectly fine, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.